The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello everyone
Im just new to forum. I would like to ask a simple question. I live in Poland and want to buy a tv from 5xxx series but im confused totaly.

what is the difference between UE40EH5000 and UE40EH5020 ??? or its just like a country code?

UE40EH5000

http://www.prad.de/en/tvguide/screen7962.html

UE40EH5020

http://www.prad.de/en/tvguide/screen9162.html

THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Hi everybody

Long time lurker, first time poster wink.gif

I picked up the 40 inch 5300 model a couple of weeks ago and have been pretty pleased with it aside for some very minor light leakage at one of the edges, most noticable against certain predominently grey images like the loefilm app but no matter.

What's bugging me is that no matter what I do I can't get the xbox 360 set up just right frown.gif I've set the reference levels to expanded and told the xbox to output as RGB... I've set the Samsung to auto colour space and normal black level. having adjusted brightness and contrast so the image is as bright as it can be without losing an accepably black 'black' I'm still seeing some black crush and an overall sense that the games are a couple of clicks too dark, but brightening any further will wash them out and desstroy the black.

I've read that the xbox handles gamma very differently to other consoles but the difference in multiplatform games is significant with Mass effect 3 looking noticably different on the PS3 and Wi U, there certainly seems to be more detail in dark/ shadow areas on those version than in the 360 version.

It's not teh end of the world, dark games like Max Payne 3 and Tomb Raider are certainly playable and do look good, the deep blacks making them look really cinematic but has anyone found a way to minimise the black crush when using the 360 - adjusting gamma, brightness and contract hasn't worked for me, or is it simply the case theat the image is crushed by the consoles gamma implementation and no amount of tinkering with the set will change it?

Don't want to put anyone off the set, it really is great but I just wish there was a way to display the games a little better - I've tried PC mode, game mode, standard and movies modes btw

Thanks, and great job on this thread - some really useful info on here for new owners of this tv!
post #1083 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 11
Which panel type do you have\?
post #1084 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Hey guys,

Just bought the UE40EH5000 today, and just wondering if anyone can explain this 'panel' lottery to me, and what I should look for?

I've seen on another forum how to find out what panel I have, but don't understand the relevance. Thanks.
post #1085 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/240#post_22332784
depending on how lucky you are, you either got a very nice tv, or... well. not so nice tv.
post #1086 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks.

Can you tell me which are considered the good panels?
post #1087 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Actually, it's written in the post I linked you to. Also, please. If you can. Post which panel you have. Because that is going to have a significant influence on my decision if I should buy this.
post #1088 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM

It looks like mine is a Sharp panel

What's the problem that people find with this screen?
post #1089 of 2272 Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Well I went and bought that UN50EH5000 from my local walmart here in Canada, and have been tweaking it for a couple of days now. My first impressions are that the picture on this thing is absolutely stunning with very little motion blur, and shockingly deep black levels. However it has some darkening in the corners that is of course most noticeable in light scenes which really bothers me. Hopefully I can get used to it. Still have no idea what panel it has in it (MH02)
post #1090 of 2272 Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM

I have a model 40EH5000 using the Sharp HS03 panel. The overall picture is stunning. That was expected with this series of TV.
But, like you I really don't see much in the way of motion blur which is a bit surprising give that these sets are 60hz.
post #1091 of 2272 Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Hi everybody. I'm Dimitris from Greece and i have just registered.

I bought an Samsung UE40EH5000WXXH a month ago and i noticed that the screen backlight is shutting off at dark scenes and then turns on when something bright appears (ex. subtittles). This is not hapening only when i set the picture mode to movie. I don't know if this is a problem of my device, or a picture setting, or do i have to update. Can anyone help me with this and suggest me a set of picture settings because they are so many ? (exept this i'm very satisfied with this LED-TV)

Thanks and please forgive my bad English.
post #1092 of 2272 Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimitris View Post

Hi everybody. I'm Dimitris from Greece and i have just registered.

I bought an Samsung UE40EH5000WXXH a month ago and i noticed that the screen backlight is shutting off at dark scenes and then turns on when something bright appears (ex. subtittles). This is not hapening only when i set the picture mode to movie. I don't know if this is a problem of my device, or a picture setting, or do i have to update. Can anyone help me with this and suggest me a set of picture settings because they are so many ? (exept this i'm very satisfied with this LED-TV)

Thanks and please forgive my bad English.

On Standard mode, the backlight will dim on dark scenes. On both Movie and Standard, I think the backlight shuts completely off on pure black screens.
CaioTheBrain and ddimitris like this.
post #1093 of 2272 Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I Bought a 32 inch eh5000 tv about 5 months ago, I found out by accessing the service menu that is has a Samsung panel (32A6AF0D, thats a s-pva, right?).. I ran into a problem when I was playing a fps on my PC. Sometimes characters in-game will leave a red/brownish trail, especially when they are walking in front of a white/grey wall.. I calibrated the screen, put every option like digital noise filter etc. off (most are disabled on default when setting the source name to dvi/pc).. Not only characters in-game suffer from this, all sort of objects suffer from this trailing/smearing.. Another thing worth mentioning: when I am moving my camera in-game and move along am object, that object seems to 'bend', the side of the object is changing from vertical to being slightly curved.. (kinda hard to explain wink.gif )
Any help would be appreciated..
post #1094 of 2272 Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Thank you Chicolom.

It is a relief to know that my TV-set doesn't have a problem. I also found very helpfull the link "UN40EH5000 Calibration Settings". The Samsung e-manual doesn't explain these settings at all. I thought that naming an input is only a simple label but it seems all the overall operation of the TV is changing. I also have 2 questions:
1. What is better to use to connect my blue ray player at 5m distance: HDMI or YCbCr+LR cables?
2. When do i have to upgrade my TV-set?

Thanks
post #1095 of 2272 Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimitris View Post

Thank you Chicolom.

It is a relief to know that my TV-set doesn't have a problem. I also found very helpfull the link "UN40EH5000 Calibration Settings". The Samsung e-manual doesn't explain these settings at all. I thought that naming an input is only a simple label but it seems all the overall operation of the TV is changing. I also have 2 questions:
1. What is better to use to connect my blue ray player at 5m distance: HDMI or YCbCr+LR cables?
2. When do i have to upgrade my TV-set?

Thanks

You're welcome.

1) I would use HDMI whenever possible. HDMI is a digital connection, whereas YCbCr is analog.
2) Not sure what you mean by "upgrade?"
post #1096 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

Hi,

I don't think I've noticed that grey/white ghosting on mine.

If it's bothering you, and it sounds like it is, you may want to return it. If you want to try a different panel, like a S-PVA, I would go to a brick and mortar store and make sure you get the one you want. I wouldn't buy online and then "hope" you get the one you want.

Plasmas should offer good motion, as long as you are OK with any drawbacks they may have (best in controlled lighting (not daylight), image retention/burn-in, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

Turns out I'll have to get Samsung to check it out since the shop won't accept returns until its evaluated.

At any rate, I did a bit of poking around and found that on that specific scene that I linked in the video, it only occured when HDMI Black level was set to Normal. When setting it to Low (crushing all the blacks), the ghosting doesn't occur. Obviously this isn't a solution, but it's something interesting of note nonetheless. I guess it's just because it only occurs with certain colour/lighting situations?

So I ended up getting the TV repaired at Samsung, and they replaced it with a new panel.

But guess what?

The EXACT same issue is still occuring!

I really don't understand why the ghosting/smearing is so bad in certain situations such as in the videos I posted of Uncharted and Crysis. Surely it can't be a coincidence that two times in a row now I'm stuck with the same problem?

Not sure what to do... frown.gif
post #1097 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

So I ended up getting the TV repaired at Samsung, and they replaced it with a new panel.

But guess what?

I really don't understand why the ghosting/smearing is so bad in certain situations such as in the videos I posted of Uncharted and Crysis. Surely it can't be a coincidence that two times in a row now I'm stuck with the same problem?

Set your brightness above 50.
Read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457798/samsung-60-ghosting-issue-un60es6500/0_50#post_22955964

If it is framedoubling from 30fps games, than it's normal.
Download this testclip to check:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456808/30fps-vs-60fps-motion-test-frame-doubling-motion-smoother-cmr-trumotion-motionflow-etc
post #1098 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But guess what?

Did they replace it with the same panel type?
post #1099 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ckstarter View Post

Hi everyone,

I Bought a 32 inch eh5000 tv about 5 months ago, I found out by accessing the service menu that is has a Samsung panel (32A6AF0D, thats a s-pva, right?).. I ran into a problem when I was playing a fps on my PC. Sometimes characters in-game will leave a red/brownish trail, especially when they are walking in front of a white/grey wall.. I calibrated the screen, put every option like digital noise filter etc. off (most are disabled on default when setting the source name to dvi/pc).. Not only characters in-game suffer from this, all sort of objects suffer from this trailing/smearing.. Another thing worth mentioning: when I am moving my camera in-game and move along am object, that object seems to 'bend', the side of the object is changing from vertical to being slightly curved.. (kinda hard to explain wink.gif )
Any help would be appreciated..

Set brightness above 50.
See post #1097 above.
post #1100 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Did they replace it with the same panel type?

I'm not sure. I looked in the menu and it was still the same (ChMei), but I don't know if Samsung would update the service menu when replacing a panel?

But besides, if this was the fault of all Chei Mei panels, then I have to wonder why this issue isn't more widely reported. It's just... really strange. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Set your brightness above 50.
Read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457798/samsung-60-ghosting-issue-un60es6500/0_50#post_22955964

If it is framedoubling from 30fps games, than it's normal.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456808/30fps-vs-60fps-motion-test-frame-doubling-motion-smoother-cmr-trumotion-motionflow-etc

Setting the brightness to something above 60 (not 50) *does* solve the issue, as does a number of other things such as putting the HDMI black level on low. But all of these make my picture quality look horrendous -- a TV that needs to have either a washed out image or crushed blacks in order to remove ghosting/smearing cannot surely be working as intended. :/

As for the frame doubling issue, the smearing only occurs in some lighting/colour situations, so that couldn't be the problem?
post #1101 of 2272 Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not sure. I looked in the menu and it was still the same (ChMei), but I don't know if Samsung would update the service menu when replacing a panel?

But besides, if this was the fault of all Chei Mei panels, then I have to wonder why this issue isn't more widely reported. It's just... really strange. frown.gif

You've ruled out it being the source or a problem with the cable? You've used the same setup on other displays and they don't have that same type of ghosting?

If it's only on your specific display/panel, my only suggestion would be to get a different display/panel.
post #1102 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM

Hi. So I ended up buying 46" EH5000 European version (version 01, not sure what panel is that, haven't checked service menu yet). Decent TV, with rather small viewing angle. Last evening got the colors look passable after some tinkering with white balance. Here are my WB settings if anyone cares: Offset (R-22, G-25, B-26), Gain (R-08, G-25, B-26). Seems to have taken care of that nasty pink in whites and greys. I also use Warm1, beacause warm2 looks way too yellow. Brightness and contrast is to anyones liking, according to calibration patterns.

I have one problem tho with connecting laptop via HDMI. I watch HD movies from my laptop, so that's kinda important. When connected (source name PC) I only get picture size 16:9 or 4:3, but screen won't fill completely - there's ~1" border around the picture no matter what I do. When I don't rename source to PC, I get more picture size options, but still can't get image to full screen (it's either distorted with zoom options or small as usual with screen fit). Resolution on my video card is set to Full HD. Seem to have tried everything... When i change resolution back to usual (same as laptop screen) - there's no problem, but there's no Full HD too I assume... Also there's a silent hiss audible when HDMI is connected, but it's not a big problem for me. Does anyone know what to do about that screen size problem? Any solution yet?
post #1103 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:

You've ruled out it being the source or a problem with the cable? You've used the same setup on other displays and they don't have that same type of ghosting?

If it's only on your specific display/panel, my only suggestion would be to get a different display/panel.

I've tried it on both my 360 and PS3, both using different HDMI cables. And yeah, the ghosting never occurred on previous displays with the same setup and cabling.

I guess I'll see what my options are tomorrow. The store I bought it from is pretty coy with returns, but I'll see what I can do.
post #1104 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 AM

edit
post #1105 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 AM

Liked: 21
Isn't that skew what normally happens when fast-panning with line-scan display generation (instead of a whole-frame system like cinema)? I'm not a gamer, so I don't know how the calculations are done, but if each line is calculated at its own time reference this is what's going to happen. Alternatively it could be the result of the TV "in betweening" to up the frame rate from 25 to 50 or 100.
post #1106 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Is this really your first time ever, playing a 3d perspective videogame?
Ofcource it's the videogame GFX engine do that.
post #1107 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Hey all,

I just picked up a TS01 UN40EH5050F from Costco. About 20 minutes later I saw that Walmart had the 5300 for the same price. I don't really care about the "smart" features. But is there a big enough picture quality difference to make the return/repurchase?
post #1108 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Is this really your first time ever, playing a 3d perspective videogame?
Ofcource it's the videogame GFX engine do that.

Ah, just checked it on my laptop, same thing happens.. I guess its just more noticeable because of the bigger screen wink.gif So, even on a CRT monitor you will notice this skewness?
Quote:

Set brightness above 50.
See post #1097 above.

Increasing brightness does not seem to solve it, just to clarify the problem (sorry for the bad quality).

th_104_2009_zps03ba49e9.jpg

As you can see at the edges there is a trail visible. This problem is also present in brighter conditions..
post #1109 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Liked: 21
Has anyone seen this trailing / ghosting on normal video? I'm convinced it is a consequence of digital rendering conflicting with frame rate multiplication.
post #1110 of 2272 Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Ah, just checked it on my laptop, same thing happens.. I guess its just more noticeable because of the bigger screen wink.gif So, even on a CRT monitor you will notice this skewness?
Increasing brightness does not seem to solve it, just to clarify the problem (sorry for the bad quality).

th_104_2009_zps03ba49e9.jpg

As you can see at the edges there is a trail visible. This problem is also present in brighter conditions..
That is framedoubling caused by low framerates 30fps games, it's normal, try play a true 60fps game to compare or use this testclip below:

Sample on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Gre5rgdD4
Note: youtube can't display 60fps hence the video 60fps right side won't show difference, you'll need to download the video and play on tv.

Download 30fps vs 60fps video test:
mp4:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ixnoz
mkv:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h0eul2

In addition: Frame-doubling test, you will see on 30fps side double images of moving objects, caused by display outputs at 60Hz, thus each frame is displayed twice.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page