The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT1701 View Post

I Just bought the exact same TV from Best Buy on 4/18 HH02 panel. Is there any other panel option in this size? Should I be worried? I have been fiddling with the settings since then and can't seem to get it dialed in just right. Everything looks gray to me and the colors lack depth. Not sure if it is all in my head or not. I will test your settings when I get home tonight to see if they help.

Did you look at the numbers on boxes?

The low/mid range boxed TVs should be out on showroom floor on shelves above displayed TVs.
Can go threw that shouldn't be your only option since samsung makes their own 40 panels. Ive3 gone to bestbuy and notices they had more than one option for panel types when looking at boxes for individual models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I Just bought the exact same TV from Best Buy on 4/18 HH02 panel. Is there any other panel option in this size? Should I be worried? I have been fiddling with the settings since then and can't seem to get it dialed in just right. Everything looks gray to me and the colors lack depth. Not sure if it is all in my head or not. I will test your settings when I get home tonight to see if they help.

Curious what your opinion of this set is after a week of ownership.

I am replacing a 32 inch Samsung from 2005 (don't remember the model right now) so I am sure this is a huge improvement over that without nitpicking the details. I paid 1800 back in 2005 for the 32" and just 499 for this one crazy how the prices have changed. Anyway I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V571 receiver for all inputs to the HDMI 1 connection on the set. Selected the Movie move first after turning it on because I knew that would disable most of the processing. Over all it looks great at that mode but I can't get over some scenes looking just so grey and then how it picks and chooses so to say how black things look from scene to scene. I guess I will take some getting used to. I have a Samsung 50" DLP as my main set and maybe I am so used to watching that, that this one is distracting me.

My biggest gripe is the Glossiness of the screen. I like to watch in a bright room and my lighting is behind me and it reflects off the screen really bad. Other than that I would say it is an improvement over my old 32" and my first LED backlight set. I think I am not used to how LED lights running all non-LED sets for so long.

My other issue is with the Aynet / HDMI Control. Since I have everything connected to a receiver no sound comes through the TV. I have the SDIF connected to the receiver and HDMI control will switch automatically when I use the Smart-Hub apps so I can get sound for Netflix etc. However when I power on the set using my Harmony it switches the sound to TV when it boots up when no apps are running so I have no sound until I switch the receiver manually back to the primary input. Anyone else experience this. It is great when it switches at the right time but a pain when every time I turn it on it swaps the sound wrong.

Sorry for all the info at once but I have been playing with this thing all weekend and can be a a bit OCD hehe. I welcome any feedback from the community.

Try my calibration settings. About the receiver, why use SPDIF if it has HDMI? Set its source name to sound receiver or something like that, the on sound settings set to external.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo23019 View Post

The low/mid range boxed TVs should be out on showroom floor on shelves above displayed TVs.
Can go threw that shouldn't be your only option since samsung makes their own 40 panels. Ive3 gone to bestbuy and notices they had more than one option for panel types when looking at boxes for individual models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmaster View Post

If the TV isn't used too much for being showcased at the store, choose the 6100 and don't think twice. Native 100/120Hz panel, 3D, picture quality is awesome, lots of calibration tools to mess around, etc.
no such thing native 120hz TV set they all output max of 60hz/60fps
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

When I bought it there was only one on the shelf so not many options to go through. I might go back today and see if there are more there.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Try my calibration settings. About the receiver, why use SPDIF if it has HDMI?

I could not get sound to come from the apps any other way. My Receiver is ARC compatible but I could not get sound to come from the set until I connected the SPDIF cable. Does this set support ARC I could not find it anywhere in the settings.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM

I have recently bought a UE46EH6030 with a Samsung Panel.
Does someone have a recommended picture setting or a calibrated TV?
I wish i had a bigger TV set, in Germany you can only buy the next bigger size is UE50EH5300.
I know the drawbacks of the 5 Sereis, i would loose 3D and the 120hz panel, is it worth the risk?
I ma satisfied with the Samsung panel.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:

When I bought it there was only one on the shelf so not many options to go through. I might go back today and see if there are more there.
Oh OK yea no options. They probably had more on order or even could have had more out back that they didn't bring up front yet.
so yea id check again
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:

I could not get sound to come from the apps any other way. My Receiver is ARC compatible but I could not get sound to come from the set until I connected the SPDIF cable. Does this set support ARC I could not find it anywhere in the settings.

No it doesn't support ARC unfortunately. So the problem here is the receiver not setting the right input when you turn on the tv or the tv not setting the right output?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthawk View Post

I have recently bought a UE46EH6030 with a Samsung Panel.
Does someone have a recommended picture setting or a calibrated TV?
I wish i had a bigger TV set, in Germany you can only buy the next bigger size is UE50EH5300.
I know the drawbacks of the 5 Sereis, i would loose 3D and the 120hz panel, is it worth the risk?
I ma satisfied with the Samsung panel.

In my opinion the EH5300 is a better TV overall. The only downsides are lower refresh rate and no 3D, but other than that it is better and has internet capabilities.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Oh OK yea no options. They probably had more on order or even could have had more out back that they didn't bring up front yet.
so yea id check again

Website says the two stores in my area are out of stock. Bummer can't go hunting. Hopefully more come in soon. I bought the 5 year Geek Squad on it so hopefully they will let me exchange down the road.
Quote:

No it doesn't support ARC unfortunately. So the problem here is the receiver not setting the right input when you turn on the tv or the tv not setting the right output?

Its funny it comes on in the correct input but once the TV finishes its HDMI handshake and the pictures comes on it flips the reciever to the SPDIF. If I enter the Smart Hub go to the store then exit it flips back but that takes a while. Manually switching the reciver fixes it as well its just an annoyance I guess. Poorly implemented feature frown.gif
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

In my opinion the EH5300 is a better TV overall. The only downsides are lower refresh rate and no 3D, but other than that it is better and has internet capabilities.

Hm, the 6030 has no internet capabilities but has a LAN connection and a DLNA client. Thats sufficient for me.
But does the ue50eh5300 still the panel lottery?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

no such thing native 120hz TV set they all output max of 60hz/60fps

You're wrong. Some Tvs have a native 100/120Hrz panel.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthawk View Post

Hm, the 6030 has no internet capabilities but has a LAN connection and a DLNA client. Thats sufficient for me.
But does the ue50eh5300 still the panel lottery?

Yes, it has the panel lottery thing, but don't be afraid because all of the panel types could be good panels and some considered not as good as others have other advantages like a wider viewing angle. Buy one, if it has problems like blue ghosting return it.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Yes, it has the panel lottery thing, but don't be afraid because all of the panel types could be good panels and some considered not as good as others have other advantages like a wider viewing angle. Buy one, if it has problems like blue ghosting return it.

This really annoys me. I mean they use the same model number but realistically its not the same set. These TVs ARE the panel. How can they sell them as the same TV but use completely different parts? It make no sense to me.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Well, under Menu, System, Device Manager, Keyboard, it automatically displayed my USB Keyboard's model number. Same thing for the mouse, so I assumed they were set up successfully. What am I missing here?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:

This really annoys me. I mean they use the same model number but realistically its not the same set. These TVs ARE the panel. How can they sell them as the same TV but use completely different parts? It make no sense to me.

I totally agree with you but what can we do? Well, technically it gives you a reason to return the tv if you're not satisfied since your could be expecting the quality you saw in the same TV with another panel. Legally they can use other panels, but because of that you also have the legal right to return it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfocus View Post

Well, under Menu, System, Device Manager, Keyboard, it automatically displayed my USB Keyboard's model number. Same thing for the mouse, so I assumed they were set up successfully. What am I missing here?

Does your keyboard works with other apps like the web browser or the smart hub?

EDIT: Here's your answer: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451856/official-samsung-smart-tv-smarthub-keyboard-thread
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with you but what can we do? Well, technically it gives you a reason to return the tv if you're not satisfied since your could be expecting the quality you saw in the same TV with another panel. Legally they can use other panels, but because of that you also have the legal right to return it.

I guess your right but it creates a lot of work for the consumer. Returning TVs time after time just to find the "right" one. Why would Samsung use other manufacturers panels if they make their own? Is there some economics to this I am not aware of?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I guess your right but it creates a lot of work for the consumer. Returning TVs time after time just to find the "right" one. Why would Samsung use other manufacturers panels if they make their own? Is there some economics to this I am not aware of?

The reason why seems to be related to the stock of their own panels, sometimes they don't have the means to produce the necessary quantity of panels to ship with their TVs, and it happens more on lower and mid end TVs because they are more focused on producing panels for the higher end models.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Fair enough.

Another question has anyone figured out the specs of the SmartHub (processor, memory etc). I'm a techie guy and very curious what this runs off of. I am full of questions today smile.gif

Also does anyone know what TV Sharp would use these HH02 panels in if they use them in their own sets at all?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM

How to activate PVR on Samsung EH5300

Notes: Before doing this, take note of your calibration settings because you'll lose your custom settings.

UPDATE: Past firmware 1040 the network mothod I listed here no longer works.

[NEW] Dual IR Transmitter method:
Note: If you have a programable remote you can just add the required codes (FACTORY + 3PEED) and it will still work)

1: Get the dual IR transmitter
2: Get the required wav files: wav_to_IR_SamsungTV.zip 226k .zip file

3: Plug your dual IR transmitter to an audio player with decent amplification (some smartphone work, some don't. A pc audio card should work fine. The better the amplification, the larger is the range).

5.- Turn off your TV and press {INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote.

6.- Play the wav files for FACTORY and after this 3SPEED on the device you plugged your dual IR transmitter. Be sure that the tv is receiving the codes (the red power light should blink). If you have problems doing this keep trying until you find the right position. Also, be sure that your IR leds are corredted positioned.

7.- From Service Menu select Control,then go to the bottom option and change PVR Num to 1, go back and then go to Sub-option; Find PVR and change it to ON.

8.- Save settings by pressing POWER on remote controller (TV turns off)

9.- Enjoy your new PVR!!!

Network method: (not woking after 1040 firmware)

1.- Download ruSamsungTVCommunicator

2.- Connect your TV and your PC to your local network.

3.- Open ruSamsungTVCommunicator and wait until it finds your TV (If it doesn't find it, you'll need to manually enter its ip address)

4.- A prompt will be shown in your tv, accept it.

5.- Turn off your TV and ruSamsungTVCommunicator then press {INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote and re-open ruSamsungTVCommunicator.

6.- Press FACTORY and after this 3SPEED buttons on ruSamsungTVCommunicator.

7.- From Service Menu select Control, than Sub-option; Find PVR and change it to ON and PVR Num =1

8.- Save settings by pressing POWER on remote controller (TV turns off)

9.- Enjoy your new PVR!!!

Notes: You'll need a fast usb stick or at least a 5300rpm hdd to be able to use the record and timeshift functions. You need first to format your drive to be able to use those functions, to do that go to AllShare, TV Records, select your drive, it will ask you to format it, do it. If it doesn't work it's because your drive isn't fast enough or the usb cable you're using is not good, so first try to use other cables.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wav_to_IR_SamsungTV.zip (225.8 KB, 49 views)
CaioTheBrain likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Fair enough.

Another question has anyone figured out the specs of the SmartHub (processor, memory etc). I'm a techie guy and very curious what this runs off of. I am full of questions today smile.gif

Also does anyone know what TV Sharp would use these HH02 panels in if they use them in their own sets at all?

MStar X10 900Mhz,
1GB of flash storage
??? of ROM memory (256MB?)
??? of RAM memory (32MB?)

These are specs for the EH5300, the EH5000 and EH4000 have lower specs.
Vic Y likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 AM

Can all the people name exactly which panel they have in UE50EH5300?
That would be nice.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM

More interesting behavior experienced last night with my UN40EH5300 HH02. After getting a calibration working that was acceptable to me. I switched my Receiver to use my DVD player. As I mentioned before I have all my components connected to my receiver and the receiver connected to HDMI1 on the TV. When I changed my receiver to watch a DVD I noticed my picture settings also changed. Now keep in mind the input on the TV stayed the same and only the receiver input changed, however my picture mode was switched to something called Entertain and the only other available option was Standard. Dynamic, Natural and Movie modes disappeared from the settings menu. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the receiver communicating with the TV over Aynet+, since i have my receiver inputs labeled as DVD, SetTop etc. or what but why would the TV change its mode? I thought all the settings were fixed to the input of the TV not my receiver. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? This is the first tome I have seen a receiver influence how the TV works. Once I switched it back to my HD SetTopBox all the regular options reappeared and it switched the picture back to Movie mode which I calibrated earlier.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:

More interesting behavior experienced last night with my UN40EH5300 HH02. After getting a calibration working that was acceptable to me. I switched my Receiver to use my DVD player. As I mentioned before I have all my components connected to my receiver and the receiver connected to HDMI1 on the TV. When I changed my receiver to watch a DVD I noticed my picture settings also changed. Now keep in mind the input on the TV stayed the same and only the receiver input changed, however my picture mode was switched to something called Entertain and the only other available option was Standard. Dynamic, Natural and Movie modes disappeared from the settings menu. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the receiver communicating with the TV over Aynet+, since i have my receiver inputs labeled as DVD, SetTop etc. or what but why would the TV change its mode? I thought all the settings were fixed to the input of the TV not my receiver. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? This is the first tome I have seen a receiver influence how the TV works. Once I switched it back to my HD SetTopBox all the regular options reappeared and it switched the picture back to Movie mode which I calibrated earlier.

Seems like this TV sets different profiles for the inputs you have on your receiver, which is nice IMO. I don't use a receiver so I can't check that myself tongue.gif.

About your calibration settings, did you tried those in my signature? I'm curious if my settings work well on other panel types.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM

I did try your settings but they still looked flat to me. I ended up calibrating using Standard mode since everything I did under Movie mode just looked gray. Like everything was shoot on an overcast day. Standard seems to give things more dimension and depth and the colors don't look so washed out.

I still haven't settled its a moving target. It usually takes me a month or so to dial in a new Set and I haven't had to do it for 7 years. For me it is about what looks right to me while I am watching it. Ill post my settings once I finalize them. My eyes are going crossed trying to get this thing to look right. I miss the old days when TVs just worked haha. I appreciate all the input from you guys here though this is an awesome community.

On another note has anyone had trouble with there Smart Hub going "dumb". After only a few days the Smart Hub seems to be falling apart around me. Last night Netflix crashed the TV, my Plex app no longer functions at all and the nice HDMI control that would flip to the SPDIF input automatically for me stopped working all together. I am a really bummed right now.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 AM

About my settings, I calibrated my tv with a calibration disc. The experience you had with my settings could be related to them not being right for that type of panel or simply because you're comparing it to other modes with things like dynamic contrast or black tone on. Those settings gives you the effect of more depth and better contrast but they are messing up the original picture. You should want your tv to produce a picture closer to the original, not a post processed with lots of details lost that gives you those effects. Try to print a photo in an high quality printer then play that photo on your tv.

Now, about the Smart Hub problems, do you have the latest firmware installed on your tv? I do experience some problems but they are software bugs and for me it's rare they happen, if you have a find a specific bug that's "bugging you" I recommend you to send an email reporting it to Samsung so they can fix that on the next firmware update. For now try to re-install plex and netflix.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerockbato View Post

Hi have just recently joined and attempted to read almost half way but i just got to ask...in case already addressed somewhere
maybe the wrong place to post here or if i should just start a new thread, please advice.

has anyone ever experienced random shutoff?
i have 32eh5000 and connected via pc (EVGA GTX670) dvi to hdmi (DVI PC).
i have 3 of them connected to pc, side by side...
i just got them for days (not a week of usage yet, and only few hours total here and there so far in a day, roughly 6 hrs, definitely not over 8 hours for sure, and maybe 2 hours each usage intervals, not even everyday) so not sure if this is something on settings

last night my center just turned off (night time, if that matters), didn't turn back on, but no problems turning it back on
earlier my right section just turned off (night time, if that matters), didn't turn back on, but no problems turning it back on
last night have used it maybe 3 hours (while surfing online)
earlier, just maybe 1-2 hours (idle on that screen for maybe few minutes, not over half an hour, while left screen also on while idle but didn't turn off though)

so far the center hasn't turned off again (1st time last night) and it's been used earlier in the morning for more than 4 hours, tonight it's been over 4 hours as well.
but the right screen turned off (1st time)...

sleep mode - definitely off
eco settings
- energy saving: low
- eco sensor: on
- no signal power off: 15 min
- auto power off: on

no other remotes being used in the house, none can think off that may have shut one off (and not even all at the same time).
any help, feedback, thoughts, directions to this matter, would really appreciate it.
thanks.

PS
just wanted to add on random shut off...i previously set the time, but for some reason it's been gone.
was away over the weekend so not sure if there was a power failure that caused this.
last night, no time was even set on all of them when center turned off.
earlier no time was set on left and right, when only the right turned off.

Just an update to this, for anyone using the units as their PC.
Not sure if anyone else is or was experiencing this.

I turned off the auto power, originally set for 4 hours.
Seems like during the night, it turns off after the 4 hour window (not always, pending on usage).
Odd that so far it didn't happen during the day yet.
But I didn't get enough chance to further test this scenario though (if there's even such a thing as day and night usage difference...but I've played games for both times, and usage as far as I know is same).
With auto power off, so far it hasn't happened again.
Hopefully that was the only issue.
Thanks all!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM

I agree about the post processing maybe I will try your settings again. I started to get a headache last night so I settled on whatever I had done. When I was using your settings I did change them to take the contrast down to 88 because my whites were blooming too much. Also I took the Back light down to 15 cause it was burning my eyes lol. I am so lost in the settings sauce right now I don't know which way is up.

I did try reinstalling Plex but it still will not work from yesterday to today it just stopped working. I have the most recent firmware I ran a check again this morning to make sure and the Online check tells me I have the current version. Do they ever release versions the Online Checker, using the TV to check for updates, would not see? And the HDMI control / Aynet bug I can't figure out that decided to stop working last night too. All I did last night was install a new BD player but that should not effect the TV right? I hate it when technology rebels against me confused.gif
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I agree about the post processing maybe I will try your settings again. I started to get a headache last night so I settled on whatever I had done. When I was using your settings I did change them to take the contrast down to 88 because my whites were blooming too much. Also I took the Back light down to 15 cause it was burning my eyes lol. I am so lost in the settings sauce right now I don't know which way is up.

I did try reinstalling Plex but it still will not work from yesterday to today it just stopped working. I have the most recent firmware I ran a check again this morning to make sure and the Online check tells me I have the current version. Do they ever release versions the Online Checker, using the TV to check for updates, would not see? And the HDMI control / Aynet bug I can't figure out that decided to stop working last night too. All I did last night was install a new BD player but that should not effect the TV right? I hate it when technology rebels against me confused.gif

First lets talk about the calibration settings again xD. Well, I used to have 88 contrast on mine before calibrating it using the calibration disc, try my settings but don't forget to set the white balance values. About the backlight, 20 could be way too much if your room is dark, so as I recommended on my calibration settings post, go to system, then eco settings and activate the eco sensor to a minimum of 9 of backlight and give me your feedback then biggrin.gif. Be aware that you'll need to do that individually for all picture modes/inputs.

About Plex, open the plex app, go to settings, Plex Media Server, then delete all the entries there then do an auto scan (or add it by ip manually).

For the anynet bug, press sources on your remote then press the blue button to update (not sure if it is this one but you should see a list of actions below the sources list. If it still doesn't work properly then disconnect the hdmi cable and reconnect it again, then update your list of sources again. If it doesn't work even after that try a different hdmi cable. By the way, did you connect your bd player directly on your tv or on your receiver? Please post your set up here, something like this example:

TV:
  • HDMI1 - PC
  • HDMI2 - Receiver
    1. DVD Player
    2. WII
    3. PS3
  • HDMI3 - Set Top Box
  • Components - PS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv