The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 2306 Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDeuce View Post

Not going to lie, I can't tell if this is a serious suggestion or a tongue in check response? I'm not a heavy reader of these forums (maybe browse once or twice a week) and I've never seen such a remedy suggested before.....

It was a serious inquiry.

Follow the links instructions if you're willing,

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2306 Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post

I would ask you to check the Menu>System>Eco Solutions>
Ensure that both Energy Saving and Eco Sensor are OFF

Both settings have a direct impact on main picture calibrations in ALL Sources respectively.

Thanks, I'll check those although I'm fairly sure Eco Sensor at least is disabled, as I noticed that it was on initially and varying the light output so we disabled that. I think the backlight was quite high originally as well but I turned that down and calibrated the brightness and contrast again and explained to my Dad that he could increase/decrease the backlight depending on the time of day without touching the other two.

I noticed that some controls, such as the R,G, B filters are locked out when in the SMART menu or running apps from it, such as Plex, so it's tricky to calibrate for that mode playing movies via Plex but maybe that's unnecessary as long as it's calibrated via another source, such as his media player via HDMI or a USB drive.
post #1803 of 2306 Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doveman View Post

I noticed that some controls, such as the R,G, B filters are locked out when in the SMART menu or running apps from it, such as Plex, so it's tricky to calibrate for that mode playing movies via Plex but maybe that's unnecessary as long as it's calibrated via another source, such as his media player via HDMI or a USB drive.

Menu>System>Eco Solution>Energy Saving
Is a Static setting that follows even the Smart Hub and USB devices.. I called on Samsung Remote Management to see if they could enable some setting to allow for "Picture OFF" in Energy Saving once I had a USB device playing music. They were unable to achieve what I requested, yet I found that if I set Energy Saving prior to accessing the USB music I could at least set it to "High". From there, my EH5300 I can access Picture Menu but the Backlight is dimmed (inaccessible) if my Energy Saving is set to anything but OFF. Lesson: Once 'Energy Saving' is enabled and you find yourself in an App from the HUB or on USB, and displeased with your picture: one has to exit the App to change source and disable 'Energy Saving'.

ie. if you set it for example to HIGH in AV or TV it follows the Smart Hub and USB.. Once set there it can not be accessed whilst on Smart Hub, Samsung Link, or USB as selected Sources. Keep that in mind for your testing.

I hope you can find a way out of the "Washed Out" look. My TV is doing well yet I'm not following the presets you may find here or on Amazon.

One last thing:
If you find your "Backlight" adjustment playing tricks on you and your "Energy Saving" is OFF.. try re-powering the device to shake loose the bug.
post #1804 of 2306 Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks Woodbiezer, I'll check whether that Energy Saving is disabled.

I'm not really using any presets I've seen here or elsewhere but maybe I should try some to see if they get it looking better. In theory I should be able to get a better result for my Dad's TV by calibrating it, as another person's presets won't neccessarily work well with another TV but without a colorimeter all I can do is brightness, contrast and the flashing colour bars with the R,G,B filters on the set, so if the washed out look is due to some other setting that needs calibrating then someone's preset might be close enough and better than just adjusting things randomly trying to make it look OK.
post #1805 of 2306 Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Have you tried to accurately adjust your settings using the AVS HD709 disk or a commercial one like WoW or Spears & Munsil?
post #1806 of 2306 Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked: 10
I have a UN40EH5300 and I am mostly happy with the device picture quality and other features. My only concern is with what I think is a image 'ghosting' problem. I watch mostly 1080p movies and the issue is most apparent during 'fast action scenes'. I have read articles about the problem and some suggest that I should turn off all filters in the picture quality menu and also turn off led clear motion feature. I also read that this has something to do with refresh rate of the device and since my device is 60hz the ghosting issue cannot be avoided, 120hz or 240hz is preferable. Has any one had any success with completely fixing this ghosting problem or is it something I will just have to learn to live with.
post #1807 of 2306 Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Have you tried to accurately adjust your settings using the AVS HD709 disk or a commercial one like WoW or Spears & Munsil?

I was using the individual mp4 files taken from one of the free calibration downloads rather than a disc, so that I could calibrate using the Media player as he didn't have a Blu-ray player at the time but I don't think there's any reason why they shouldn't be just as good. As I say, I personally only did the contrast and brightness though, so I'll have to double-check the color bars to make sure my Dad did those right.
post #1808 of 2306 Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ you can adjust but you can't calibrate. For most people that should be enough though. Just make sure that your source (I guess in your situation that's the Media Center) is not doing any video processing at all. The same thing for your tv.
post #1809 of 2306 Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Quick question on audio/speakers:

I just picked up the UN46EH5000 for black friday (46" LCD) for $400. For the money, not a bad deal, though I'm not super thrilled with the picture. I'll get into that more later.

One main concern: Has anyone noticed a weird buzzing/vibration sound at certain points in movies?

For example, I'm watching Scandal right now on Netflix, and in several tense moments with background music the TV makes a loud buzzing sound. I'm thinking it could be one of 3 things:

1. Maybe just a resonant frequency or something with the TV? Either way, it's happening a lot at least on this series.
2. If not a resonant frequency, maybe just too much bass makes this particular chassis vibrate a lot? (volumes are at very moderate levels)
3. Possibly bad speakers?
4. Perhaps it's just this netflix series that might have problems with audio

I just went through about a dozen songs on my USB drive, but didn't notice any vibration on those. It could just be that the bass doesn't kick in then. I also have not noticed it yet watching TV. (Fios).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Recording of the buzz here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19122515/Buzz.m4a

This is recording is around the 30min mark of Scandal Season 2 Episode 8 (among MANY other places). Buzzing is around the 7 sec mark of this recording (taken from back of the TV so you can hear it clearly).
post #1810 of 2306 Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ This is happening on the UN46EH5300 as well..
What I have determined it is the speaker ports doing there best at the 75Hz ~ 200Hz frequency making the 400 x 400 wall mounts and the back panel resonates. You'll have to open her up and use some sound deadening material. Video, pics review on Amazon displays the same issue.

>>On Stand...
post #1811 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 11
Strange indeed! I have not noticed this at all on my UN46EH5000 (UD03 from Best Buy). With regards to the wall mounts and back panel resonating...do you guys have your sets mounted, or on the stand? My set is mounted, maybe the mounting screws are preventing mine from resonating.
post #1812 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 AM

I just bought a 32" EH5300 and it has really old firmware (1037). I've tried updating it online but the dialog claims everything to be up to date. I've found the USB firmware and attempted to upgrade; the USB drive is found, but the update utility does not find the image on the USB drive. (I have tried putting all the files in the root directory of the USB device, tried leaving it in the directory that it is extracted to, tried turning on the TV and waiting two minutes before going to the Menu outside of SmartHUB, etc.). Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had similar issues?

The reason I am trying to update the firmware is that when I make the `develop` account on the TV, the blue "D" button at the bottom does not appear. I need this blue D button in order to setup online streaming services to the TV. Please let me know if there are other ways of doing this. 

post #1813 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejumbo View Post

I just bought a 32" EH5300 and it has really old firmware (1037). I've tried updating it online but the dialog claims everything to be up to date. I've found the USB firmware and attempted to upgrade; the USB drive is found, but the update utility does not find the image on the USB drive. (I have tried putting all the files in the root directory of the USB device, tried leaving it in the directory that it is extracted to, tried turning on the TV and waiting two minutes before going to the Menu outside of SmartHUB, etc.). Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had similar issues?

The reason I am trying to update the firmware is that when I make the `develop` account on the TV, the blue "D" button at the bottom does not appear. I need this blue D button in order to setup online streaming services to the TV. Please let me know if there are other ways of doing this. 

Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1037.1)
All OS Nov 26, 2013 ENGLISH 141.94

My UN46EH5300 is on 1037
Servie menu shows it as version 1037.1

Saying this to say your tv is on the most current EH5300 firmware.

Would you not be inclined to contact Samsung and have them do a Remote Management session into your box to assist you in getting the streaming device.

Quote:
Samsung Remote Support service offers you
one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician
who can remotely :

Diagnose your TV
Customize the TV setting for you (Picture, Sound, etc)
Backup & Restore your customized setting
Reset your TV to the factory default
Install the latest firmware
Manage Smart Hub optimally

Plus, your settings are saved on our servers
for future sessions, if needed.

It's easy!
Just call 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) and ask for remote support.

If you have any questions about Samsung Remote Support, please email remotesupport@sea.samsung.com.
post #1814 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post

Strange indeed! I have not noticed this at all on my UN46EH5000 (UD03 from Best Buy). With regards to the wall mounts and back panel resonating...do you guys have your sets mounted, or on the stand? My set is mounted, maybe the mounting screws are preventing mine from resonating.

My set is on stand.

Red markup display the mount points on a UN46EH5300. The cyan arrows show "Bass reflex system (also known as a ported, vented box or reflex port)" direction.

Red markup display the mount points on a UN46EH5300. The cyan arrows show "Bass reflex system (also known as a ported, vented box or reflex port)" direction. If one were to take the back panel off, hold it in one hand waist high and flap it, you'd understand why this occurs.

I took the wall mounts off and remounted them with an under-layer of high temp wiring tape. On each of the 4 wall mounts I attached a 1/4 felt pad. A week later hearing the panel resonate, I added two inch thick by 3 inch long memory foam over each speaker (cyan arrow). No more crazy, buzzing, hooptie trunk sounds.
post #1815 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 AM

With the 40EH5300 (UD03, supposed Samsung panel), should I expect a certain amount of bleeding/clouding? I've gotten two and they've both had some, only on complete black with settings close to 20 backlight, 95 contrast, 50-55 backlight. I know those are brighter settings than most use, but even dimmer it's been noticeable. Dark edges on one side, and 1-2 small white patches towards the bottom middle. Is this acceptable, or should it be close to perfect?

post #1816 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

My set is on stand.

Red markup display the mount points on a UN46EH5300. The cyan arrows show "Bass reflex system (also known as a ported, vented box or reflex port)" direction. If one were to take the back panel off, hold it in one hand waist high and flap it, you'd understand why this occurs.

I took the wall mounts off and remounted them with an under-layer of high temp wiring tape. On each of the 4 wall mounts I attached a 1/4 felt pad. A week later hearing the panel resonate, I added two inch thick by 3 inch long memory foam over each speaker (cyan arrow). No more crazy, buzzing, hooptie trunk sounds.

Do you know if this is happening to everyone, or only certain sets? Mine is mounted on a stand, for what it's worth.
post #1817 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM

ouch, I think I blew it here:

I had my TV from the store (un32eh5000fxza) on firmware 1018 since I've got it. I had the most recent June '12 update, version 1012, on USB. I ACCIDENTALLY hit OK instead of return, and now I'm on fw1012 and noticing a quality hit on my PS4 picture :(

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Samsung help has told me there's now way for me to obtain 1018 and I'm now stuck w the old firmware :(

post #1818 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

^^^ This is happening on the UN46EH5300 as well..
What I have determined it is the speaker ports doing there best at the 75Hz ~ 200Hz frequency making the 400 x 400 wall mounts and the back panel resonates. You'll have to open her up and use some sound deadening material. Video, pics review on Amazon displays the same issue.
>>On Stand...

Could you possibly link me to some of these reviews or videos? I found a few reviews on the eh5000, but no videos. I'm guessing there are some for the 5300 or other models.
post #1819 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1820 of 2306 Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1dreams View Post

Do you know if this is happening to everyone, or only certain sets? Mine is mounted on a stand, for what it's worth.

I know I speak for me, and find it odd that you and I are the only ones that noticed this very obnoxious feature. eek.gif

I worked on mine and did my due diligence by posting what I had found just as you did yours by making the MP3. My model is different than yours and my Version is UF03. Our similarity AFAIK are: Black Friday, and back panel resonation, and panel size.

Being as light as this HDTV is and as attenuated as the back panel is, and as minimalistic as the wall mount brackets are designed and attached to the inner support panel, it's a wonder to me how others don't have or recognize this issue we discuss.

Good luck w/ that request. I'm good with my home made fix.
post #1821 of 2306 Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I know I speak for me, and find it odd that you and I are the only ones that noticed this very obnoxious feature. eek.gif

I worked on mine and did my due diligence by posting what I had found just as you did yours by making the MP3. My model is different than yours and my Version is UF01. Our similarity AFAIK are: Black Friday, and back panel resonation, and panel size.

Being as light as this HDTV is and as attenuated as the back panel is, and as minimalistic as the wall mount brackets are designed and attached to the inner support panel, it's a wonder to me how others don't have or recognize this issue we discuss.

I just contacted Samsung with a support request - I'll let you know what I hear back. I actually have the UD03 model, bought from Tiger Direct on black friday, mounted on a stand. 46" version.
post #1822 of 2306 Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Just bought an EH5300 at Walmart. Very happy with it so far. I have a question regarding the AA59-00580A Remote that comes with it. On page 17 of the owners manual it says to refer to the e-Manual for an explanation of the functions of the bottom two rows of buttons. I spent 20 minutes going through the e-Manual and couldn't find anything regarding the what these buttons do. I finally figured out how they work when playing videos off a USB thumb drive. I still can't figure out what the "record" button is used for. Any help would be appreciated.

post #1823 of 2306 Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyskys View Post

Just bought an EH5300 at Walmart. Very happy with it so far. I have a question regarding the AA59-00580A Remote that comes with it. On page 17 of the owners manual it says to refer to the e-Manual for an explanation of the functions of the bottom two rows of buttons. I spent 20 minutes going through the e-Manual and couldn't find anything regarding the what these buttons do. I finally figured out how they work when playing videos off a USB thumb drive. I still can't figure out what the "record" button is used for. Any help would be appreciated.

Record button is for "PVR"
Not available for US models, available for some European models. Remote shares form factor with both.
post #1824 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote: Originally Posted by kkl10

What you want is something like this. This is just an example for ilustration purposes, I'm not recommending this product as I have no experience with it.
Note that the actual magnification power of these cheap microscopes/loupes is probably much lower than advertised but it should be enough.
The quality of the lens is also not very consistent, so it's a matter of luck whether you get a usefull device or not.

kkl10, I think I got it!!!
What I did was google "Home made microscope" and came up with the Instructable
Swapped laser from pen light w/ laser from old DVD laser pickup.
Code:
EXIF* Info Filename - IMG_20131221_062513.jpg Make - SAMSUNG Model - SPH-M820 XResolution - 72 YResolution - 72 ResolutionUnit - Inch Software - EH03u' E FԤ@ DateTime - 2013-12-21 11:25:11 YCbCrPositioning - Centered ExifOffset - 236 FNumber - 2.80 ExposureProgram - Aperture priority ExifVersion - DateTimeOriginal - 2013-12-21 11:25:11 DateTimeDigitized - 2013-12-21 11:25:11 ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr Flash - Not fired FocalLength - 2.73 mm FlashPixVersion - 0100 ColorSpace - sRGB ExifImageWidth - 1200 ExifImageHeight - 1600 InteroperabilityOffset - 554 White Balance - Auto SceneCaptureType - Night scene Thumbnail: - Compression - 6 (JPG) XResolution - 512 YResolution - 384 ResolutionUnit - Inch JpegIFOffset - 912 JpegIFByteCount - 14059

You too can do this folks.. what you see on my camera are felt pads cause I like to set it on counter w/o scratching case.. this is a cheapo WalMart Straight Talk phone that is not in service hence the bad time stamp on EXIF.

Follow the Instructible and if you don't have a old laser pen light, do what I did and rip apart an old DVD RW and yank the lens out..
The lens is flat on one side and fish-eyed on the other.. find that bobby pin and expand it while you have your lens on a flat surface.
Release the tension while having spare finger hold the lens firmly against flat surface to avoid shooting/springing the lens to the Twilight Zone.

Place that flat side of lens directly on your camera lens and tape.

Config your camera to Zoom (1.4~2x): Metering (Matrix): AW (Auto): Brightness (mid point of your scale): Night Mode (ON): Picture Size (Max): Picture Quality (Super Fine): Color Effect (None)
Turn your GPS off, we're not the NSA!

Hard part:
Hold that camera up to your BRIGHTEST WHITE of (I took mine on the Smart Hub) telly and pull back till your fingertips are the buffer, you'll find your sweet spot so have that free index finger handy to snap your pics. It may test your resolve but it is DOABLE.

Now we can append pics to your wiki nxsfan!

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-26-2014 at 04:09 PM.
post #1825 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Cool, you might want to post this in the Samsung Panel Version thread as well, it would be quite usefull there.
It's clearly PSA but the subpixel structure of your panel seems slightly different than the other know picture because there are no diagonal lines in the rectangular subpixels in your picture... can you confirm? It suggests Samsung has been modifying/improving their panel tech and maybe it would explain all the new panel codes seen recently.
post #1826 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 AM

I have a problem with my TV. I went into Service Menu to look around, but I didn't really change anything. When I quit it and went back to TV signal, there was no more picutre, but just black field that over a course of several seconds lightens into a tiny grid of dark-grey lines on black background, and is not uniform – it is brighter in the middle-left than on the edges.

So I went back to service menu and did Factory Reset. I lost all channels, but things went back to normal. At least that's what I thought. But now the same think happens every time I change picture mode to Movie. Others modes work fine but each time I select Movie by mistake, I have to try blindly select something else .

Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it? Do I need to contact Samsung for warranty check? I imagine the turnaround time would be PITA over the Xmas and NewYear's period.

post #1827 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Rule 1. Never go into the SM for anything regardless of what you read or hear. As you have seen, it is way too easy to mess things up even if you don't "think" you've made any changes. SM settings quite often are model specific and are set at the factory for each individual tv. What I would do is call support and tell them what your tv is doing. DO NOT tell them that you went into the SM. Play dumb. If you're under warranty they may be able to fix it. Venturing into the SM voids your warranty in a lot of cases so just don't mention it.
post #1828 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Cool, you might want to post this in the Samsung Panel Version thread as well, it would be quite usefull there.
It's clearly PSA but the subpixel structure of your panel seems slightly different than the other know picture because there are no diagonal lines in the rectangular subpixels in your picture... can you confirm? It suggests Samsung has been modifying/improving their panel tech and maybe it would explain all the new panel codes seen recently.

I can confirm that my camera rig has a hard time capturing the RED, and even tho I see through the capture screen waves/fluctuation I'm certain that the rectangular subpixels have not pyramided diagonally. I attempted rather elaborate testing going through the picture menu turning off Backlight/Contrast and even Brightness to just end up back w/ the 8 bit structure seen above.
I'm not qualified to say either or as to what matrix this is, yet only that I hope it provides me as many years as my Westy has. All I wished to do is capture a more detailed picture and share how easy it is to do with stuff laying about. This at the very least rules things out.

Having re-read the writings of hristoslav2 in the iterations of panels concerning First Editions/Second Editions and looking at Panelook for the model (replacement) for this UF03 it would seem that what would be replaced if this panel failed would be a SVA (if indeed it is not already a SVA, I know not). Looking further down the Hot Cells at Panelook the LSC460HN05-W, I see it is +A Grade and marked as SPVA.
Perhaps going by this is the litmus test as this sticker is readily accessible from removing the 11 screws that hold the back panel, and it matches up with the SamsungParts listing.

DUCT I am presuming means OEM First Editions Discontinued; and the Operational Panels are the Second Edition replacement. ( I'd like some confirmation on that smile.gif )
post #1829 of 2306 Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please help me guys. I am determining to get a UN46EH5000 Samsung or a 50LN1350 Toshiba. I am a big gamer(PC, PS3, Xbox) and I want to watch blu rays as well. Does it have a good response time for gaming? I want to be able to hook my PC up no problems, like have it fit the screen perfectly. Please help I'm doing all the research I can before I make a purchase. This TV is true 1080p right? Like if I watch a blu ray or play a pc game it will be true 1080p quality right? Thanks!
post #1830 of 2306 Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't confuse response time with lag time. Response time is always given as a spec. Lag times rarely, if ever are given because they are not really a spec. Hopefully someone has one of the two that you are looking for and will reply. Otherwise......
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page