The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2272 Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just purchased a 32UH5300F and I'm frustrated with the limitations of calibrating functions available in the COMPUTER input mode. Is there any way to adjust color? The movies that I try to play from my laptop are very washed out, no matter how I try to adjust the 4 available settings (Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, and Sharpness).
I'm very pleased with the calibrations that are available through inputs from cable, DVD, and USB drives. But movie viewing through computer, which I use quite frequently, is very unsatisfactory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2272 Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
A lot of tv's have functions disabled when you use a computer as an input because the computer's video card has different video parameters than the tv so the tv has to adjust for the input. Using a modern tv as a video display for a computer has it's limitations. "Calibrating" a tv panel using a computer as a video input is difficult at best if you use the tv with other sources.
post #1893 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 AM

Liked: 21
A decent media player on the PC has adjustments available on the output.
post #1894 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Captured and made a Video of this forum page and while playing back the loop adjusted several
parameters of the playback. ie. Contrast, Saturation. all Hot Keyable

post #1895 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post

A decent media player on the PC has adjustments available on the output.

And what would you be calibrating if you adjusted the output on the media player, the media player or the target panel? The source device for calibrating a panel, if it is other than a calibrated light meter, has to be at default settings so that the signal is as unaltered as possible. That way, all adjustments are made to the panel because that is what you are calibrating, not the source or the pathway.
post #1896 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM

If you can't adjust the TV, all that's left is the source. Take it or leave it.
post #1897 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Most newer tv's have some sort of user accessible controls for adjusting the pq and with the proper use of disk ,the panel can be accurately adjusted as best as it can with what is available. However, if your primary use is for games, they don't usually follow the REC. 709 standards so you're best to tweak to taste.
post #1898 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

A lot of tv's have functions disabled when you use a computer as an input
post #1899 of 2272 Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM

We're considering the UN40EH5300 for the in-laws. My mother-in-law might use the smart features, but my father-in-law will only view cable coming from a Comcast cable box. Question: can the TV be configured so that it always powers up to a specific HDMI input? Our concern is that if MIL uses the smart features, FIL may not be able to easily find his way back to the cable input. If we can tell him "turn it off, turn it on" and it will always return to the HDMI input connected to the cable box, we'll have to field fewer "how do I get the TV to work?" calls. Otherwise we might have to forgo a smart TV for them.

post #1900 of 2272 Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 AM

I can't be sure for any particular TV, but it is unlikely that it would remain in the smart TV mode on next power up, and the TV would normally resume what it was last doing from the point of view of input (be that tuner or any specific HDMI or analogue input). You could always go to a proper showroom and ask for a demonstration.

You could also consider a smart remote, eg Logitec Harmony. These are able to send a series of commands in response to particular button presses, eg switch on a cable box and a TV and set the TV to a particular mode.
post #1901 of 2272 Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipK View Post

We're considering the
UN40EH5300
for the in-laws. My mother-in-law might use the smart features, but my father-in-law will only view cable coming from a Comcast cable box. Question: can the TV be configured so that it always powers up to a specific HDMI input? Our concern is that if MIL uses the smart features, FIL may not be able to easily find his way back to the cable input. If we can tell him "turn it off, turn it on" and it will always return to the HDMI input connected to the cable box, we'll have to field fewer "how do I get the TV work work?" calls. Otherwise we might have to forgo a smart TV for them.

I know for a fact that using the Service Menu the TV can be configured to boot to HDMI per Amazon Review Pic

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Old dog ~ New trick ~ More than one way to skin a cat
I also know for a fact that the remote has the Source Button directly right center of the power button, As well as the Smart Hub having a icon to view Sources, furthermore that the Tools button can be used to Name an Input.

SIL ~ the best present you can give is the one to the MIL and let the FIL's hampered learning curve suffer the MIL's extended learning band, so that the wife of SIL will rejoice that the parents of daughter will be sharing remote time. eek.gif

One real reason I would not buy this TV for extended family is that the TV itself has a Jog controller (picture in your mind a analog stick on your PS3/XBOX) under the right panel. If your expecting milk and get coke, you'll get the analogy.
post #1902 of 2272 Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 AM

My parents got this TV for watching analog cable. Where they live, nearly every channel needs a different P.Size setting to fill the screen properly without stretching. However, the TV doesn't seem to remember or store the picture sizes by channel. Is there since way to save default picture size settings per channel?
post #1903 of 2272 Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totemphile View Post

My parents got this TV for watching analog cable. Where they live, nearly every channel needs a different P.Size setting to fill the screen properly without stretching. However, the TV doesn't seem to remember or store the picture sizes by channel. Is there since way to save default picture size settings per channel?

Unfortunately it (P.Size) is per 'Source'. IE.. I have OVA on the RF input and it is set to 16:9. The Satellite on AV is set to 4:3. If I change the channel on the satellite it is always 4:3 till I manually change P.Size.

They will have to continue to use the P.Size button.
totemphile likes this.
post #1904 of 2272 Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM

I have a UN40EH5300 and the Netflix app has been updated, but unfortunately not the new interface released late last year. Changes include, Profiles, Just for kids, Post play and the ability to view the streaming info.
post #1905 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 AM

Hi,

I bought this TV last week and took delivery a couple of days ago. Mine was a version 07 and the panel under the service menu was an 'A' panel. I still need to configure the pic settings to make the most of it thought.

However my post is a query regarding the sound and connections.

I wanted to find out what my options are in terms of connecting the TV to an amp? I believe this TV has a digital optical out (Toslink right?)

Ideally to connect a 3.5mm jack (sound IN) but from what I understand it is from digital source to analogue, thus conversion is needed, right? I had a quick look and came across this option but not sure if it will suffice?

the other option I believe is to use the headphone socket but this will cut out the TV speakers when in use right? Due to the stupid placement of the headphone jack I don't want to keep plugging in and unplugging from the jack on a daily basis, unless I can keep a cable connected and switch between the TV speakers and headphone only usage?

I would appreciate any help with this please.

Many thanks!

post #1906 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Your first option is the best but you might want to find a Dac with 3,5 mm output instead of RCA.
The second option might work and is simpler but won't allow for higher than 2 channel output (stereo).
Both options disable the TV speakers.
post #1907 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ntaur View Post

Hi,

I bought this TV last week and took delivery a couple of days ago. Mine was a version 07 and the panel under the service menu was an 'A' panel. I still need to configure the pic settings to make the most of it thought.

However my post is a query regarding the sound and connections.
I wanted to find out what my options are in terms of connecting the TV to an amp? I believe this TV has a digital optical out (Toslink right?)

Ideally to connect a 3.5mm jack (sound IN) but from what I understand it is from digital source to analogue, thus conversion is needed, right? I had a quick look and came across this option but not sure if it will suffice?

the other option I believe is to use the headphone socket but this will cut out the TV speakers when in use right? Due to the stupid placement of the headphone jack I don't want to keep plugging in and unplugging from the jack on a daily basis, unless I can keep a cable connected and switch between the TV speakers and headphone only usage?

I would appreciate any help with this please.

Many thanks!

Hello and Welcome:
There are 2 way to get sound to AMP, (headphone jack) or Digital. 3 manners to have sound. AMP, Builtin, or Headphones. (I tested the headphone jack on tv, and it did not disable the built in speakers or the AMP.. I had audio simultaneously on all three.

Connection to any AMP would be specific to your AMP, I use Toslink. If your AMP has a Toslink, of course you'd want to use that, If your AMP is limited to having only RCA or 35mm then your limited to those type cables and interconnects and will have to use the 35mm Headphone out to AMP.

I don't understand your need for conversion unless your AMP only has Coaxial in.. then you're in need of this Toslink to Coaxial Coverter

If you're using a device that requires the use of the 35mm input ... say a computer or phone, then you'll get 2.0 stereo only to either the TV speakers, your headphones or the downmix to your AMP.

If you're concerned about working behind the TV for use of Headphone,
Jack your headphones into the AMP that has been Toslink connected from TV forgoing the plug in hassle.
post #1908 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM

The conversion is to connect the digital output to an analogue input. Yes the item linked to would do the job. Which model of TV is this anyway? The poster did not say.

I do not know whether connecting to the digital output would disable the TV speakers, I see no reason why it should - the digital output would normally go to an AV amp with its own volume control.

I have a cheap supermarket TV which provides separate volume controls on speakers and headphones, which can be used simultaneously. I have an expensive LG TV which refuses to output both simultaneously. I don't know what my Samsung does, I have never tried it.
post #1909 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Thank you for your responses guys, the TV is the Samsung UE32EH5000.
post #1910 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Liked: 16
First, to play your TV audio through your amplifier or receiver, connect the TV to the amp or receiver with an optical (Toslink) digital cable. Then select the input where the optical cable is connected on your amp or receiver.

If your amp or receiver does not have an optical input connect the TV through the audio out (you'll need an adapter to split the mini plug to audio left/right) to your amp or receiver.

If you're using the optical, make sure to select Dolby Digital in the Sound Menu, SPDIF Output.

As far as using the amp with or without the TV speakers, from the UN32EH5000 Manual, also under the Sound menu:

Speaker Select
■ Speaker Select (External Speaker / TV Speaker): If you are listening to the sound track of a broadcast or movie through an external receiver, you may hear a sound echo caused by the difference in decoding speed between the TV’s speakers and the
speakers attached to your audio receiver. If this occurs, set the TV to External Speaker.
✎ When you set Speaker Select to External Speaker, the TV’s speakers are turned off. You will hear sound through the external speakers only. When you set Speaker Select to TV Speaker both the TV’s speakers and the external speakers are on. You will hear sound through both.
✎ When Speaker Select is set to External Speaker, the VOLUME and MUTE buttons will not operate and the sound settings will be limited.
✎ If there is no video signal, both the TV’s speakers and the external speakers will be mute.
Sound Reset
■ Reset All: Resets all sound settings to the factory defaults.

Hope this helps.
post #1911 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM

@iraweiss.

Thank you.
post #1912 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

I don't understand why the other replies don't acknowledge the existence of TOSlink to analogue converters, or what they have against them. x3ntaur already said his amp doesn't have digital input, and the options will be better by connecting the digital output via a converter than by connecting with the headphone socket.
post #1913 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM

I did acknowledge it in my reply, it's called a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
Maybe you failed to read it?
Things were simple and straightforward until the other replies started to unecessarilly complicate...
post #1914 of 2272 Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM

I know you did...

However I think a stereo phono to 3.5mm stereo jack cable will be easier to find than a converter with 3.5mm stereo jack output.
post #1915 of 2272 Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 16
FWIW the mini jack on the back is called an audio out jack, not a headphone jack. Samsung like many manufacturers is probably choosing to use a mini plug for analog audio output rather than dedicate the back panel real estate and cost to a pair of traditional left/right RCA jacks. I wonder if there would be any audible benefit to converting toslink to analog audio over what comes from the audio out jack anyhow.
post #1916 of 2272 Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM

The socket on the back of my UE32EH5000 has a headphone symbol next to it. The benefit of not using it is not having to unplug it when you want to use the internal speakers when the audio system is off.
post #1917 of 2272 Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Jun

Liked: 11
I have another quick and basic question about the backlighting of UN40EH5000.

Because of a dead/stuck pixel issue and non-uniform backlighting issue, I exchanged a few times at local BestBuy, so I came to have a chance to compare a few different sets.
I noticed that backlight on the returned sets was turned off when there was nothing to display, and then turned on promptly when there happened something to display, and I thought it was a good trick to hide or minimize the irritation of watching flashlighting/clouding clearly, especially in a dark room. However, the set that I have now doesn't work in that way, and its backlight is always on as long as the TV is on. If I remember correctly, I used exactly same parameter settings when I tested them, including eco solutions, and I wonder if there were any settings that I might have missed to activate this feature.

Three sets that I tested, two returned ones and one that I keep now, were all manufactured in Oct. 2013, in Mexico, and the version was all UF04, which is Samsung S-PVA panel. Firmware version is 1022.0. The only difference that I could find was in their serial numbers: The two returned ones had _CUDA_ in their numbers, and the one that I have now has _CVDA_, which might mean that the current one is the newest because "V" comes after "U." rolleyes.gif

The one that I have now, it has the best backlight uniformity among the three, even though it has one dead pixel, so it is okay to notice some minor flashlighting/clouding near the corners for a few seconds when there is nothing to display, but I wonder if there is any way to make it turn off its backlight when the image has nothing to display.

Thanks for your replies in advance. smile.gif

Have a good day~~~
post #1918 of 2272 Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Jun

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintno View Post

I've just purchased a 32UH5300F and I'm frustrated with the limitations of calibrating functions available in the COMPUTER input mode. Is there any way to adjust color? The movies that I try to play from my laptop are very washed out, no matter how I try to adjust the 4 available settings (Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, and Sharpness).
I'm very pleased with the calibrations that are available through inputs from cable, DVD, and USB drives. But movie viewing through computer, which I use quite frequently, is very unsatisfactory.

You said you were able to calibrate the screen in USB mode, but I wonder how you did it. When I press menu button in USB mode, it goes back to TV mode. I can only select among standard/dynamic/movie modes pressing tools button. Could you please let me know how you calibrate the screen in USB mode? Default settings for USB mode are quite annoying.

Have a good day~~~
post #1919 of 2272 Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintno View Post

So after a week or so of messing around with the Spears & Munsil 2nd Ed., I have settled with everything except the blue and green gains. This seems to be about the best I'm gonna get for my panel until I buy some tools or pay for an ISF cal. Updating original post....

post #1920 of 2272 Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post

You said you were able to calibrate the screen in USB mode, but I wonder how you did it. When I press menu button in USB mode, it goes back to TV mode. I can only select among standard/dynamic/movie modes pressing tools button. Could you please let me know how you calibrate the screen in USB mode? Default settings for USB mode are quite annoying.

The picture settings in the USB media player should available to tweak when the video is played back.
Have you tried to calibrate while the video was running or while in the media player menu?
The behaviour of your TV when you press the Menu button doesn't seem normal to me... in my F5000 it always stays in USB media player menu and I think this is universal behaviour for all Samsung models.
When you say you press Menu button, you mean the button in the remote or some option in the USB menu?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page