The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #2071 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Thanks for trying :) Looking back at the manual I found there could be usb firmware update, so I'll try to get in touch with both samsung and yamaha about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post

He stated,it does not.. You've got a good eye for detail and I ran over to the PDF also.. but how about page 76 where each device needs to go through page 59/60..

Yikes that's alot of work.

MatMat, we're only wanting you to sing praises of Remote Satisfaction..

edit: match ^^
Thanks, I caught that in review while you were posting.

Agreed, doing the test on page 76 makes sense. Not so much work, actually. I wonder if the Xbox One is not CEC compatible (?)(I have no blessed idea), and that is a concern. The other component that MatMat has feeding THROUGH the Xbox ought to be plugged into HDMI2, I think. If nothing else, the Yamaha won't get confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmat07 View Post

cable box hdmi out ---> xbox one hdmi in
xbox one hdmi out ----> RX-V373 hdmi in 1
RX-V373 hdmi out ----> EH5300 hdmi in 1
EH5300 optical out----> RX-V373 av 4 optical input

My suggested config:

cable box hdmi out ---> RX-V373 HDMI in 2
xbox one hdmi out ----> RX-V373 hdmi in 1
RX-V373 hdmi out ----> EH5300 hdmi in 1
EH5300 optical out----> RX-V373 av 4 optical input

EDIT: added suggested "ASCII diagram"

“Hey, Jenny Slater. Hey, Jenny Slater. HEY, Jenny Slater.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #2073 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Xbox one isn't CEC supported (bad move from microsoft IMO), but same thing happened when the cable box (not CEC) was directly wired to the AVR.

ChromeJob likes this.
post #2074 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Xbox one isn't CEC supported (bad move from microsoft IMO), but same thing happened when the cable box (not CEC) was directly wired to the AVR.
See my (edited) reply above. I gotcha, but I would still put the cable box in its very own li'l HDMI input on the 373 for simplicity. If nothing else,then you can program the SCENE buttons for each component. I loved the SCENE function when i finally got 'round to configuring it, and feel no shame on using the "L" word for it.

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

post #2075 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Thanks for trying smile.gif Looking back at the manual I found there could be usb firmware update, so I'll try to get in touch with both samsung and yamaha about this.

Quick Question about these pictures of manual:

Page 76 says to do setup on page 59/60 on each incoming HDMI. If the default is AV4 then each of your incoming HDMI are tuning to Toshlink in av4
My question is if this is so.. did you turn off ARC support on each of the HDMI configs?

ChromeJob likes this.
post #2076 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM

The hdmi config page is shared for the 4 hdmi channel. Turning one off turns them all off. 

Going to hdmi3, then Smarthub on tv makes it goes to av4, then back to hdmi3 if I quit smarthub. They did that part pretty well, just not when the tv opens :(

post #2077 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, take note of these teeny tiny notes on page 19 of the RX-V-373 manual. Sounds partly like voodoo, but WTH try 'em.
Quote:
• If HDMI Control does not work properly, try turning off and on (or unplugging and then plugging in again)
the devices. It may solve the problem.
• If the [RX-V373] is not synchronized to the TV’s power operations, check the priority of the audio output setting on
the TV
• If the audio is interrupted while using ARC, set “ARC” (p.60) in the “Setup” menu to “Off” and use a digital
optical cable to input TV audio to the unit (p.20).

Also, make sure you're not using SCENE(TV) for the Xbox or Digital TV input ... looks like (p. 21) SCENE(TV) is set to AV4 TOSLink audio input.
Woobieizer likes this.

post #2078 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

Also, take note of these teeny tiny notes on page 19 of the RX-V-373 manual. Sounds partly like voodoo, but WTH try 'em.

RUN FOREST...RUN biggrin.gif
post #2079 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

At this point I just hope MatMat07 is cursing more at his components than at us for all this.

"Momma said, mixing hi-fi components can be like a box o' chocolates..."
Woobieizer likes this.

post #2080 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point I just hope MatMat07 is cursing more at his components than at us for all this.

"Momma said, mixing hi-fi components can be like a box o' chocolates..."

True! True..

We gotta stop handing out cookie and donuts cause I'm running out of coffee.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #2081 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM

I'm pretty thankfull to both of you for trying :) Right now I' in chat with a samsung rep, so let's pray my issue goes to the right person 

ChromeJob likes this.
post #2082 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Ok, if there are any cookies and donuts left you can start throwing them at me cause I'm going to repeat myself here but if CEC is such an issue (which it is for a lot of systems) then just disable it and get a programmable universal remote. Firmware updates probably won't help if Samsung and Yamaha are implementing CEC differently which it sounds like they are. For me, ARC/CEC are not worth the hassle because i want my system to work all of the time regardless of firmware updates (which may break a working system) etc.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #2083 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty thankfull to both of you for trying smile.gif Right now I' in chat with a samsung rep, so let's pray my issue goes to the right person 

While we wait on the commercial break let's take a gander at Macro vrs. Panarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Ok, if there are any cookies and donuts left you can start throwing them at me cause I'm going to repeat myself here but if CEC is such an issue (which it is for a lot of systems) then just disable it and get a programmable universal remote. Firmware updates probably won't help if Samsung and Yamaha are implementing CEC differently which it sounds like they are. For me, ARC/CEC are not worth the hassle because i want my system to work all of the time regardless of firmware updates (which may break a working system) etc.

You're buying the remote RIGHT?!
If your not buying the remote.. then.. BOO HISSS Boo... we want thing that have gone through elaborate R&D to just be Nike.
post #2084 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM

mmm, rep asked me if I used "D.IN". Didn't know what that was, first link in google with: D.IN samsung-> someone having my issue with a SAMSUNG RECEIVER. 

post #2085 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^ i see I'm flogging a dead horse so I'll cease and desist. I just hate seeing folks pulling their hair out trying to get something to work that will probably not work given the different component mfrs.

Hmm, that pixel pattern on the left looks like S-IPS.
post #2086 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
• If HDMI Control does not work properly, try turning off and on (or unplugging and then plugging in again)
the devices. It may solve the problem.
• If the [RX-V373] is not synchronized to the TV’s power operations, check the priority of the audio output setting on
the TV
If the audio is interrupted while using ARC, set “ARC” (p.60) in the “Setup” menu to “Off” and use a digital
optical cable to input TV audio to the unit (p.20)
Also, make sure you're not using SCENE(TV) for the Xbox or Digital TV input ... looks like (p. 21) SCENE(TV) is set to AV4 TOSLink audio input.

We'll I'm handing out the Achievement award Pre-mortem. Once we have had confirmed the aforementioned does not work, then we'll let Otto Pylot ~ pilot a Kickstarer campaign

post #2087 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You funny guy Dr. Jones wink.gif
post #2088 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 PM

Samsung first person didn't do better than you guys, or I should say did worst since I now need to reinstall all my app. Tried the samsung forums, and I'll try a second time live chat tomorow if I get the chance.

About the hamony remote, 100$ is a bit much for me so not an option.

post #2089 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Understand about the cost. It's not for everyone but it is a guaranteed "fix" for CEC-like control over your HTS. I really wish that CEC was standardized well enough to work across various mfr platforms but it's not and probably won't be. Good luck.
post #2090 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmat07 View Post

TV first: AMP opens right into HDMI 1 (only if shutdown on AV4) then switches after 2-3 second to AV4.
AMP first: Nothing happens. But if I press the hdmi1 related scene button, then the AMP open on HDMI1, then after a while TV opens, and 5 sec after I get the first image it switches to AV4.
Xbox first: From what I understood, the xbox send an POWER (on to off or off to on) IR signal to the TV and AMP. TV and AMP turns on, AMP goes to HDMI 1 then AV4.
All roads lead to AV4 eventually. It's time to pull the optical out, or find a Yamaha Amp menu for the AV4 input.

Here's a dumb question. With the Optical not connected do you not get HDMI audio pass-through into the amp from your SmartHub?

Matmat, I can guess your tired and frustrated, yet I wanted to make certain we left no rock untouched.

First, I'd like you to know I've really believed that ChromeJob was onto something. Thus since he took the initiative to stir the pot of thought, it's time to confirm some of the options you have on the AMP.

Step 1

If you would remove the HDMI into the AMP for the xbox and cable if you have it, leaving only the Sammy going out so we can test Samsung startup. This is the Amp config I'd like you to do.

STEP 2

STEP 3

Page 24 of the manual is very helpful in that it show this diagram Remember how we tested all that CEC above and all roads lead to AV4? Well lets invoke a command change to the AMP from the default AV4 to the AV1 Toslink.

We refer to page 20/60 and invoke a command change to the AMP by configuring the TV Audio Input to AV1, As a measure ALSO disable the default ARC support and set it to OFF.
Hence we have configured the AMP to ignore ARC, make two changes from what is firmware defaulted programming and TOLD the damblam AMP who's the daddy.

Following these steps will do one thing ONLY

TV first, AMP opens right into AV1 and stays put.

STEP 4

Move onto adding HDMI @ input 1
Configure it per page 76 seen here and NOTE this second step, AMP by configuring the TV Audio Input to AV1, As a measure ALSO disable the default ARC support and set it to OFF

See ya soon.
post #2091 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You funny guy Dr. Jones wink.gif

I Googled Dr. Jones.. landed on youtube and ran away screaming.. AGGGGGHHHH!!! NoAqua4methankUverymuch.
post #2092 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mmm, rep asked me if I used "D.IN". Didn't know what that was, first link in google with: D.IN samsung-> someone having my issue with a SAMSUNG RECEIVER. 
Samsung seems to like peculiar names for what others call with standard names. AllShare for DLNA (I might be wrong about that), Anynet+[1] for HDMI-CEC. I guessing, D.IN for 'digital in' (TOSlink or Coax). I seem to recall Sony having a pet name for TOSlink, too. Oh, brudder. (rolls eyes). If on the phone on them again, just ask "what's that, would you define it in terms that Google or wikipedia speaks?" Bet you $5 the rep comes back with, "Oh, I mean digital audio, either fiber optic or TOSlink or coaxial cable."

[1] AKA VIERA Link or EasyLink or BRAVIA Link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC
Quote:

Samsung first person didn't do better than you guys, or I should say did worst since I now need to reinstall all my app. Tried the samsung forums, and I'll try a second time live chat tomorow if I get the chance.

About the hamony remote, 100$ is a bit much for me so not an option.
Save it, use a Samsung remote app for iOS or Android instead (if the 5300 supports mobile remote apps). Or spend the money on a better Yamaha rcvr that you can configure the input menus like I mentioned on my 663. Costco offers a Yamaha rcvr lately that supports an iPod/iPhone app. (Testimonial: Costco adds a year on the manufacturer's warranty for electronics you buy there, and has a superb return policy for electronics that "don't work out." Oh, and they have a Concierge phone support dept that might help with this sort of crap.)
Quote:

Understand about the cost. It's not for everyone but it is a guaranteed "fix" for CEC-like control over your HTS. I really wish that CEC was standardized well enough to work across various mfr platforms but it's not and probably won't be. Good luck.
Not necessarily. CEC works fine with my Panasonic BDT215 player, Samsung ES6150 TV, going through a 2008 Yamaha receiver that wouldn't know CEC if you hit it on the display panel with it WHOOPS, wrong -- it supports HDMI 1.3a.

P.S. Short Round says hi.

post #2093 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not necessarily. CEC works fine with my Panasonic BDT215 player, Samsung ES6150 TV, going through a 2008 Yamaha receiver that wouldn't know CEC if you hit it on the display panel with it WHOOPS, wrong -- it supports HDMI 1.3a.

P.S. Short Round says hi.

Boy, the stories I could tell about Short Round eek.gif

I know that ARC/CEC works for a lot of people but it's not a gimmee , and lots of folks keep trying and trying to get it to work and spend countless hours trying to figure it out and get it fixed. If someone ends up in that situation, their options become quite limited and the use of a Harmony, for example, and an optical cable are really the only thing left to do outside of buying new components hoping that they will play nicely together. I don't think it's specifically a Samsung thing but most of the issues seem to be from Samsung owners. Of course it if works well then it's doubtful we'd hear about it.
post #2094 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Otto if you'd just used this at the end of your sentence.. I wouldn't feel so meme unworthy.

Used at the risk of alienating the dead and the brilliant.
post #2095 of 2433 Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't get it frown.gif It's getting late so I think my brain has shutoff..
post #2096 of 2433 Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok. It's a new day so maybe I'll ponder a bit more on Woobieizer's post smile.gif

Onto the CEC front, I just read a summary of the recent HDMI 2.0 Webinar. HDMI 2.0 has added new commands to the CEC protocols and has required that ALL commands must be implemented now rather than being optional. The optional part is what has made full CEC control across all mfrs very difficult and frustrating. The downside is that all of your devices involved in CEC must now be HDMI 2.0 fully compliant. Some tv mfrs are already offering HDMI 2.0 (whether it's the currently approved version or some pre-approved version is subject to debate) as either a new chipset or one that can be updated to 2.0. Fully compliant HDMI 2.0 devices will start appearing this year (STB's, blu-ray players, etc) but they probably won't be common-place till next year.
post #2097 of 2433 Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. It's a new day so maybe I'll ponder a bit more on Woobieizer's post smile.gif

Onto the CEC front, I just read a summary of the recent HDMI 2.0 Webinar. HDMI 2.0 has added new commands to the CEC protocols and has required that ALL commands must be implemented now rather than being optional. The optional part is what has made full CEC control across all mfrs very difficult and frustrating. The downside is that all of your devices involved in CEC must now be HDMI 2.0 fully compliant. Some tv mfrs are already offering HDMI 2.0 (whether it's the currently approved version or some pre-approved version is subject to debate) as either a new chipset or one that can be updated to 2.0. Fully compliant HDMI 2.0 devices will start appearing this year (STB's, blu-ray players, etc) but they probably won't be common-place till next year.

That's interesting and would enjoy reading any hyperlinks you can share from your research.

BTW..
Found this before searching the FAQ's on Samsung's site for HDMI 2.0
Quote:
There were no results for HDMI 2.0

UN46EH5300F 46" Class (45.9" Diag.) LED 5300 Series Smart TV
Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.2001.3)
All OS Mar 14, 2014 ENGLISH 142.05
post #2098 of 2433 Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's interesting and would enjoy reading any hyperlinks you can share from your research.

It was posted yesterday by Scott Wilkinson (AVS Editor) in the HDMI Q&A forum here on AVS. Everything you wanted to know but didn't know what to ask about HDMI 2.0. The post is: HDMI 2.0 CEDIA Webinar
post #2099 of 2433 Old 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM

I tought I had only 1 toslink connection, never tough to try that :O But sadly it just switches to AV1 instead of AV4 now. 

Meanwhile, yamaha responded it is Samsung's fault, and I've posted on the samsung developper forum, but it doesn't get a lot a replies.

post #2100 of 2433 Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tought I had only 1 toslink connection, never tough to try that :O But sadly it just switches to AV1 instead of AV4 now.
Meanwhile, yamaha responded it is Samsung's fault, and I've posted on the samsung developper forum, but it doesn't get a lot a replies.

Even with configuring the AMP to use other than default and turn off ARC.. that's disappointing. But your are my hero for testing all this.

BTW what Samsung firmware are you up to now?

some newness came in for USB only March 14. Without release note.. It did not add support from my wishlist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread