The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2273 Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbricks View Post

Hi, just purchased this TV. So far so good. Question is what do people use for a Universal remote that can control the TV and Cable box (Verizon Fios). Suggestions would be great.

Would like to stay in the $50-$75 range if possible.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're having CEC issues, which is not uncommon for Samsungs or other tv's. At that price point you'll just have to experiment unless someone has found one that works. I use a Harmony remote which works perfectly but it is considerably more than what you want to spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2273 Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are CEC issues? I think my problem is the remote that came with this TV is not universal. So I was hoping to find one that was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Sounds like you're having CEC issues, which is not uncommon for Samsungs or other tv's. At that price point you'll just have to experiment unless someone has found one that works. I use a Harmony remote which works perfectly but it is considerably more than what you want to spend.
post #2163 of 2273 Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using Anynet+, which is Samsung's version of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)? The idea is that you can have one remote that controls all devices connected via HDMI. CEC has lots of issues and basically doesn't play nice with a lot of devices.
post #2164 of 2273 Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

No I have no idea what that is. I just am looking for one remote to control my TV and Cable box. I just want to make sure I can hit the button that brings up the Apps page.
post #2165 of 2273 Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My ancient X10 IR32A does this for me.. yet I would think that Radio Shack would have a learning remote capable of mapping the button just like this one does in your price range. Heck X10 has a IR19A for $19.99

For instance: Devices mapped

Hub mapped to Sam

If your not interested in Anynet, or CEC and just want to use a Universal Remote to power things on and get to the hub.. I would start at Big Lots, or Radio Shack. Cheapo Learning remote are far easier than digging for codes. Point and Mate.

If there is a Verizon Fios forum, you may want to ask there if you have not already.
post #2166 of 2273 Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post

Both answers are no.

My TV has the options for LED Motion Plus disabled in GAME Mode when connected to my PC via HDMI.. I can not say otherwise for PS3/4, Wii, Xbox, etc.

Renaming the input to PC and using the tools button to choose PICTURE Mode grants only two options.
Standard
Entertain
ditto on LED Motion Plus being disabled.

As soon as Game Mode is selected in either a "named" source (Game/PC) AND option enabled (Menu>System>General>Game Mode>On)
Options such as LED Motion Plus revert to OFF, and remain disabled and greyed out.
Thanks for your reply! Greetings
post #2167 of 2273 Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Hey guys, I have a UN46EH5000 connected to my PC as a secondary monitor via hdmi. My main monitor is connected to the dvi port. I only run one display at a time.

The problem is that the TV turns off by itself every now and then and does not respond to the remote or the power button. I have to unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in for it to respond.

It's not a matter of the PC going to sleep as it happens randomly while I'm watching a video or browsing the internet. Any help will be much appreciated.

post #2168 of 2273 Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the un53eh5300 output audio via hdmi arc? It controls the volume on my sony receiver and turns it off with anynet but I can't get audio out from the apps via hdmi. I'm
guessing I will have to use optical out from the tv to the receiver.
post #2169 of 2273 Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I would use an optical cable for your smartapps audio or the internal ATSC tuner. ARC/CEC is a problem to get it to work correctly for a lot of people. Just too flaky.
post #2170 of 2273 Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey guys just joined after reading ALL this thread posts.

Got the 50eh5300 at Costco Boucherville (Montreal, Quebec). Version on the box was PJ05 and SM says "50D" so chimey panel. Didnt found one single person with a "A" (samsung) panel for this size model. Some said in this thread Samsung doesnt make panel for this size either.

Got the screen mainly for gaming with PS4 as I was seeking TV with low input lag and the eh5300 reported some of the best input lag I could find for the money (Sony was out of the budget).

Initial impression was good. I am still searching for best settings and mainly explore all settings for now.

That panel lottery scared me and couldnt found a "T" version or "U" version at the store I went (I have kids, wife, etc. and just dont have time to go on a hunt to see if those better panel even exist in other stores). So I bought that PJ05 panel that revealed to be chimey or something.

Without even knowing about those chimey panel I first found the set to be quite pleasing to the eyes. In some content blacks are ink black and colors are good. I have bought the WOW bluray to calibrate and spent some quick time yesterday through the basics. Image was impressive. I have played like 4 hours of COD (Call of Duty, 60fps on PS4) and cant find any trouble in ghosting, smearing, motion, jugger or atifacts.

Well I may have seen some artifacts with Wii U and Mario 3d world around some edges that seemed like it was over sharpened but nothing that seem incorrigible. Didnt passed so much time on Wii U.

At the beginning, picture on PS4 was very good I think but maybe a little washed out. Again didnt invest much time to find best setting until like some suggest it here :

Set PS4 in full RGB (extended), renamed the HDMI input to "PC" and set HDMI black level to normal on TV. First thing I said was "WOW!! Even before adjusting anything, colors really pop, everything is so vivid. It's really night and day. Now after some games in this mode I am wondering if its not a little "too" much. For sure, I dont get any of the comments that says this combination washes out the screen. Maybe they dont use the settings listed above correctly but for me the result is "popping". I didnt found the perfect adjustments in this mode yet but I will play with the settings more as soon as i have some more time.

Also, by feeling, it seems the game mode (not pc mode) felt a little faster related to input lag for me but that may just be me and the fact I had one hell of a good night of gaming (my best actually) the first time I sat for 2-3 hours of COD with this TV.

Motion blur seems to be there but maybe its cause COD runs at 60fps I dont find it too bad and I am really paying attention to it.

I am usually very picky about anything graphics and I wont say this TV is perfect at all but for the money, and dedicated to gaming (and some occasional moviees-tv) it really fits the bill. The low input lag keeps telling me I have done the good choice for my main gaming TV.

Ho and the viewing angle may be a little narrow but I usually sit right in front of TV to game...

Some can say I have the worst panel "chimey" something but I have a hard time finding problems with it. It's the opposite. Maybe they dont do the panel the same way as before since this is a new size TV ? I dont know... but that TV is really good :)

QUESTION : For calibration, do I just plug my PS4 in all input and recalibrate them all with my WOW disc or can I assume calibration on one input is the exact same thing in another input and I just have to copy/paste settings over ? For my non gaming inputs, I will make sure calibration is done within the TV standards (ps4 to limited rgb, tv to "movie" and low hdmi black). Thats the way to do it ? Will be calibrated even if after I plug in my cable box in ?

Thank you very much for all the info !!

post #2171 of 2273 Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataq View Post

QUESTION : For calibration, do I just plug my PS4 in all input and recalibrate them all with my WOW disc or can I assume calibration on one input is the exact same thing in another input and I just have to copy/paste settings over ? For my non gaming inputs, I will make sure calibration is done within the TV standards (ps4 to limited rgb, tv to "movie" and low hdmi black). Thats the way to do it ? Will be calibrated even if after I plug in my cable box in ?

The WoW disk, or any other disk, will just allow you to make fairly accurate adjustments will can usually improve pq depending on how far off your tv is (some require very little adjusting) but it won't be calibrated. For that you need to use light meters and special software.

There are differing opinions on calibrating all of your inputs. I'll leave it up to you to decide on what you want to do. I use one calibrated setting for all of my viewing. Actually I have two, one for daytime and one for evening. Games are special in that they don't have to follow the rec.709 video standards so that input might require a separate setting to optimize. I'm not a gamer so that has not been an issue for me. Just keep in mind that all cal disks are set for the rec.709 standards, unless something like Spears and Munsil have different pattern standards. It's been a long time since of calibrated/adjusted.

Make sure that all artificial processing is disabled on your tv and your blu-ray player as well. You want to adjust the panel (tv) not the source.
post #2172 of 2273 Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Liked: 21
Unless you are doing comparative work where standard colour reproduction is essential, settings only need to suit your own taste rather than be calibrated to an absolute standard. Test charts and the Mk1 eyeball help ensure the tonal variations can be reproduced, but not necessarily accurately.
post #2173 of 2273 Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post

Unless you are doing comparative work where standard colour reproduction is essential, settings only need to suit your own taste rather than be calibrated to an absolute standard. Test charts and the Mk1 eyeball help ensure the tonal variations can be reproduced, but not necessarily accurately.

It depends on how critical you are and if you want to get the best out of your purchase, especially is you want to enjoy a blu-ray movie as it was intended and accurate color reproduction is important to you.
post #2174 of 2273 Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hi
Does this TV :
1) Have an Amazon Instant Video App
2) Output Dolby Digital through the Optical output

thanks
post #2175 of 2273 Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM

I would appreciate any assistance on this problem with my UN40EH5300.
I am on my second unit with a similar problem.
I have read this entire thread but not seen this problem described.
The first unit was a "used" model sold by amazon.com listed as fully functional without scratches.
It arrived as described, but neither of my sources (TIVO & BluRay Player) worked with HDMI1 or HDMI2.
When connected to these inputs, the tv displayed a "no signal" message. When no source was connected, it displayed a different "no connection" message.
When I connected the sources (both the TIVO and the BluRay Player) to HDMI3, they both worked fine.
The software was 2001, and I tried a factory reset. No change.
I called Amazon's help line, they walked me through a few routines, then they agreed that the item was faulty and provided a shipping label for a return.
I then ordered the same unit, except new, from Amazon.
The item appeared to arrive in good condition, but I am still having problems with HDMI1 and HDMI2.
As before, HDMI3 is fully functional with both sources.
What is different, is that my Tivo now works with HDMI1, but not HDMI2.
My BluRay player works with neither HDMI1 or HDMI2.
As before, when a source is connected but not displayed, I get a "no signal" message.
I updated the software to 2001 and did a factory reset--no change.
Since this is the second time I have had this problem, I would appreciate any suggestions.
I am thinking that my sources (TIVO and BluRay are fine since they both work on HDMI3).
Thanks for any suggestions,
e_identity
post #2176 of 2273 Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_identity View Post

I would appreciate any suggestions.
I am thinking that my sources (TIVO and BluRay are fine since they both work on HDMI3).
Thanks for any suggestions,
e_identity

Connect as you would like and turn on the Tivo and when you see the "No Signal" Hit the Source button and immediatly hit the Tools button and try to "Edit Name" and select a PVR STB for Tivo and Blu-Ray for the Blu-Ray player.

Let us know!
Good Luck as well.
post #2177 of 2273 Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Found some usefulness in my EH5300 recently with the re arrangement
of the den. Way off topic BTW.. but like ole Cheryl Lynn is singing to me ATM..
"Got to Be Real" emphasis REAL.

a 500.00 clam mirror. L/R
Westinghouse>Emerson>Samsung

Emerson is displaying XBMC Frodo from an Acer Aspire One (win8) doing it's Pandora thing from Rivy/xbmc-script.audio.pandora, The Westinghouse is running Winamp from a Toshiba laptop (win8.1) with a url open to mic's "linein://" to pick up the LFE'z from the Sony SA-VA1's.. Both are using my favorite Visualizer.. Milkdrop.. ahhhh old school fun.

Don't forget to get a Rii mini keyboard and tip out the F/J home keys.
post #2178 of 2273 Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Woobieizer,
Thanks for your suggestions!
I did as you suggested and renamed HDMI1 Blu-Ray and HDMI2 PVR-STB.
Unfortunately, there was no change.
I also tried disconnecting the power cord and the HDMI cables for a few hours, then powering up the TV, then reconnecting the HDMI cables.
No improvement.
I really appreciate the suggestion though.
I can of course return this unit, but if t here is another solution, I'd love to find it!
e_identity
post #2179 of 2273 Old 04-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Woobieizer,
Thanks for your suggestions!
I did as you suggested and renamed HDMI1 Blu-Ray and HDMI2 PVR-STB.
Unfortunately, there was no change.
I also tried disconnecting the power cord and the HDMI cables for a few hours, then powering up the TV, then reconnecting the HDMI cables.
No improvement.
I really appreciate the suggestion though.
I can of course return this unit, but if t here is another solution, I'd love to find it!
e_identity

Look at your HDMI connector stub closely and see if there is a directional indicator on which tip plugs into TV..
post #2180 of 2273 Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM

Woobieizer,
Again, I really appreciate your suggestion.
Good thought and I did look at the cables, but the cables were passive and not marked as directional.
At this point, I've decided to return the unit to the vendor and think about a different TV.
Thanks again for all your help!!
e_identity
post #2181 of 2273 Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Woobieizer,
Again, I really appreciate your suggestion.
Good thought and I did look at the cables, but the cables were passive and not marked as directional.
At this point, I've decided to return the unit to the vendor and think about a different TV.
Thanks again for all your help!!
e_identity

You're welcome. Could you do us a favor and post your Version number of the TV you currently have and if you made note, the version number of the previous TV that had the same issue.

Good luck in your pursuit of satisfaction! smile.gif
post #2182 of 2273 Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Both TVs were model UD03 from Amazon.
Thanks again for all your help!
e_identity
post #2183 of 2273 Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgf View Post

Does the un53eh5300 output audio via hdmi arc? It controls the volume on my sony receiver and turns it off with anynet but I can't get audio out from the apps via hdmi. I'm
guessing I will have to use optical out from the tv to the receiver.

There is no ARC function in this tv model.

Getting back from my issue: I had an epiphany some night ago. Found out a new function (sound can go from tv hdmi input to optical output), I'm now trying to see if it can be usefull.

EDIT: nope, seems like the tv has to open on the hdmi input connected to the receiver to open it. Emailed them again, in case this time they can fix it.

post #2184 of 2273 Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmat07 View Post

I have a EH5300 tv model connected to an yamaha RX-V373 receiver. I'm having issues with hdmi control and audio channel switching: when the tv opens (I only use hdmi1 input), the channel on the receiver switch to AV4 (optical input). I'd like it to go on HDMI 1 or just stay there, because I lost audio comming from my xbox one.

What does work right though is going on a smarthub channel (switch from hdmi audio to optical on receiver) and going back on the tv to the hdmi channel (switch to hdmi on receiver).

Would that be a setting error somewhere, or is that a communication between the tv and the receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmat07 View Post

There is no ARC function in this tv model.

Getting back from my issue: I had an epiphany some night ago. Found out a new function (sound can go from tv hdmi input to optical output), I'm now trying to see if it can be usefull.

EDIT: nope, seems like the tv has to open on the hdmi input connected to the receiver to open it. Emailed them again, in case this time they can fix it.

It would be nice if we STILL had this as an option on TV Settings start up. Booting to the SmartHub.

post #2185 of 2273 Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11

I have a un32eh5300 and would like some help with using pc mode or game mode for my xbox one, if this is any of your guys concern.

Also if theres any calibration thats good for gaming. 

post #2186 of 2273 Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 PM

I also tried using PC mode but it just crushed the blacks on my Xbox one/360 so would like to ask a few question for a good calibration please?

post #2187 of 2273 Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Every tv is different due to component variability. Someone may share their settings with you but it's not uncommon for them to make your tv look worse or not show any real improvement at all. You might want to consider picking up the free AVS HD709 disk or a commercial one like WoW or Spears & Munsil and adjust your own settings in your own viewing environment. You won't be calibrating your tv because you need light meters and specialized software but you can definitely improve pq with some accurate adjusting depending on how far off your tv is. However, games don't have to follow the rec.709 standards so keep that in mind when adjusting your tv. Movies and television may look great but some games may be less than desirable so you may have to have a different set of settings for game mode.
post #2188 of 2273 Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM

These are my settings right now but ws wondering if theres anything i should change that would look good on anyone or for myself. (not really a fan of choosing for myself)

Pictures Settings

Game Mode on

• Backlight: 20
  • Contrast: 100 
  • Brightness: 45 
  • * Sharpness: 5
  • * Color: 45
  • Tint: 60/40

Advanced Settings:

• Color Space: Auto 
  • * White Balance:R-Offset: 25, G-Offset: 23 R-Offset: 23 R-Gain: 5 G-Gain: 20 B-Gain: 50 
  • Gamma: 0
  • Dynamic Contrast: Off
  • Black Tone: darkest
  • Flesh Tone: 0 
  • Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options:

• Color Tone: Standard
  • * Size: screen to fit
  • Digital Noise Filter: Off
  • HDMI Black Level: low
  • LED Motion Plus: Off 
PeterDragon likes this.
post #2189 of 2273 Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly, Otto's spot on the advice. Running in Torch Mode.. ie Backlight full bore is basically Demo/Store mode and your MTBF is decreased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Day View Post

These are my settings right now but ws wondering if theres anything i should change that would look good on anyone or for myself. (not really a fan of choosing for myself)

Pictures Settings

snip~

What others have done.
Quote:

Some venture to explore previous examples and make adjustements based on the panel owned, user preferecnces.

1st chicolom Settings

2nd rbmaster Settings

3rd Rockva Settings

Where I ended up
Quote:

Took advantage of this forums AVS HD 709 download and followed this guide on Tweaker site. It really makes a difference to do your own 'Basic' Calibration. For me, it was key in the areas of saturation and white levels that picture below used with the built in blue filter on the HDTV, made the biggest difference.

Following the guide in this area make a big difference in my overall enjoyment and off axis wash out. As I don't keep backlight beyond 10, and contrast down.. The guide and the tools made it simple to adjust the brightness and contrast to play nice based on the two premises.. GAME MODE, BACK LIGHT on 10:

I rearranged my den, to be able to view the Samsung dead on from the Kitchen Bar and to put the two big HDTV in view of a single Lazyboy. The snap shop attached are in this order:
Westinghouse on left, Emerson in middle, and the Samsung on the left. right.

XBMC is playing a great movie on both the Westy/Samsung..
The PC has Nvidia 9800 GT I gig, and the I do not run the Nvidia setting. IE., "Other Application Control Color Settings"
Westy is on VGA, Samsung is on HDMI set to Game Mode with the DIY 'Basic' Calibration.

TweakGuide was straight forward and the directions and explanation of what to expect from the adjustment made it easy to understand.

Samsung off axis. Westinghouse dead center.
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/16 seconds
ApertureValue - F 3.29
BrightnessValue - 0.34
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.29

Samsung off axis. Westinghouse dead center.
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/12 seconds
ApertureValue - F 3.29
BrightnessValue - 0.02
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

Straight on Samsung: Westinghouse off axis, At bar in kitchen leaning in.
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/4 seconds
ApertureValue - F 3.29
BrightnessValue - -1.46
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

Straight on Westinghouse: Samsung off axis.
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/4 seconds
ApertureValue - F 3.29
BrightnessValue - -1.55
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

Summary:
Obtained the MP4 (.exe) or MP4 (.7z) from here off AVS. Used PotPlayer to play the videos full screen on Samsung, Had TweakGuide on Westinghouse to read. Remote in hand and within an hour had this running smoothy.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Derr my other left. lol
post #2190 of 2273 Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

If you don't mind me asking what are your best settings for gaming? 

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page