The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2461 of 2466 Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post
That seems to be the case across any number of set-top boxes etc. It's because YouTube are withdrawing support for non-https access, so smart TV / set-top box firmware updates will need to convert to https - the question is whether the embedded processors have enough power/memory to support https protocol.
In this specific case, YouTube is shutting off Flash-based apps support.

Enviado de meu LG-M250 usando Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2466 Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post
Sounds like a hardware fault to me, possibly the power supply, and you're right that it may be a heat-related problem. Unless you are competent with hardware I expect this to be beyond economic repair.
I think, fingers crossed, it was a dying/faulty HDMI cable. It's been working fine the past two days after swapping out the cable.
post #2463 of 2466 Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If so that will be a good result. Maybe the contact was poor and expansion/contraction broke/made it with heat.

If I lead you up the garden path it's because I would have expected anyone to check things like cables and connections before coming for help.
vurt likes this.

post #2464 of 2466 Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM

Appreciate your input before. I have no knowledge of AV stuff at all so when that suddenly happened I assumed it was approaching its expiry date. The behavior was so strange I didn't attribute it to the cable.
post #2465 of 2466 Old Today, 03:22 PM

Show mkv cover art in Samsung Link from USB HDD

Hello everybody,

I hope some of you may be willing to help me, I have backed up my entire movies collection from bluray to mkv files. The movies are stored in a usb 3.0 HDD. They play just fine using the samsung stock software, which also allows me to browse the disk contents. Yet, when I decide to use my DLNA server from my PC (minidlna in Gentoo Linux), the TV shows the cover art attached to the mkv files as thumbnail instead of an animated thumbnail with movie scenes. I would like to have the same behavior when using the HDD via USB.

The question is, how can I do that?

Thank everyone in advance.
post #2466 of 2466 Old Today, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When a computer (which is what the TV is) has direct access to a media file, it can do whatever it has been programmed to do using the data at its disposal.

DLNA is a specific protocol for access to media across a network, which involves a client (in this case your TV) and a server (where the media is stored). The client sends requests across to the server, the first of which is a "what servers are out there?" - which produces your original listing identifying the DLNA service you have set up. There then follow requests to drill down the folder structure listing the contents so that you can identify a media file you want to play, and finally a request to serve the data in the media file.

The point is that there are no requests within the DLNA protocol to enable serving an animated thumbnail, the client does not have direct access to the file itself (only the view of it presented by the DLNA server).

The benefit of DLNA is that it is designed to "just work" as long as there is a client and a server on the same network. Normally accessing files across a network requires considerable user configuation, and that is what DLNA eliminates (modern NAS units have DLNA preconfigured, for example) so that the non-techie user can cope with it.

If the TV supports direct NAS access (SMB or NFS rather than DLNA), and if it still generates an animated thumbnail when using that access mechanism (it may do, SMB and NFS are little different from having the file locally), try setting up a network share on your computer and ditch DLNA. Or settle for what you've got and stop wishing for the moon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread