The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2461 of 2476 Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post
That seems to be the case across any number of set-top boxes etc. It's because YouTube are withdrawing support for non-https access, so smart TV / set-top box firmware updates will need to convert to https - the question is whether the embedded processors have enough power/memory to support https protocol.
In this specific case, YouTube is shutting off Flash-based apps support.

Enviado de meu LG-M250 usando Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2476 Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Sounds like a hardware fault to me, possibly the power supply, and you're right that it may be a heat-related problem. Unless you are competent with hardware I expect this to be beyond economic repair.
I think, fingers crossed, it was a dying/faulty HDMI cable. It's been working fine the past two days after swapping out the cable.
post #2463 of 2476 Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If so that will be a good result. Maybe the contact was poor and expansion/contraction broke/made it with heat.

If I lead you up the garden path it's because I would have expected anyone to check things like cables and connections before coming for help.
vurt likes this.

post #2464 of 2476 Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Appreciate your input before. I have no knowledge of AV stuff at all so when that suddenly happened I assumed it was approaching its expiry date. The behavior was so strange I didn't attribute it to the cable.
post #2465 of 2476 Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Show mkv cover art in Samsung Link from USB HDD

Hello everybody,

I hope some of you may be willing to help me, I have backed up my entire movies collection from bluray to mkv files. The movies are stored in a usb 3.0 HDD. They play just fine using the samsung stock software, which also allows me to browse the disk contents. Yet, when I decide to use my DLNA server from my PC (minidlna in Gentoo Linux), the TV shows the cover art attached to the mkv files as thumbnail instead of an animated thumbnail with movie scenes. I would like to have the same behavior when using the HDD via USB.

The question is, how can I do that?

Thank everyone in advance.
post #2466 of 2476 Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 PM

When a computer (which is what the TV is) has direct access to a media file, it can do whatever it has been programmed to do using the data at its disposal.

DLNA is a specific protocol for access to media across a network, which involves a client (in this case your TV) and a server (where the media is stored). The client sends requests across to the server, the first of which is a "what servers are out there?" - which produces your original listing identifying the DLNA service you have set up. There then follow requests to drill down the folder structure listing the contents so that you can identify a media file you want to play, and finally a request to serve the data in the media file.

The point is that there are no requests within the DLNA protocol to enable serving an animated thumbnail, the client does not have direct access to the file itself (only the view of it presented by the DLNA server).

The benefit of DLNA is that it is designed to "just work" as long as there is a client and a server on the same network. Normally accessing files across a network requires considerable user configuation, and that is what DLNA eliminates (modern NAS units have DLNA preconfigured, for example) so that the non-techie user can cope with it.

If the TV supports direct NAS access (SMB or NFS rather than DLNA), and if it still generates an animated thumbnail when using that access mechanism (it may do, SMB and NFS are little different from having the file locally), try setting up a network share on your computer and ditch DLNA. Or settle for what you've got and stop wishing for the moon.
post #2467 of 2476 Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
When a computer (which is what the TV is) has direct access to a media file, it can do whatever it has been programmed to do using the data at its disposal.

DLNA is a specific protocol for access to media across a network, which involves a client (in this case your TV) and a server (where the media is stored). The client sends requests across to the server, the first of which is a "what servers are out there?" - which produces your original listing identifying the DLNA service you have set up. There then follow requests to drill down the folder structure listing the contents so that you can identify a media file you want to play, and finally a request to serve the data in the media file.

The point is that there are no requests within the DLNA protocol to enable serving an animated thumbnail, the client does not have direct access to the file itself (only the view of it presented by the DLNA server).

The benefit of DLNA is that it is designed to "just work" as long as there is a client and a server on the same network. Normally accessing files across a network requires considerable user configuation, and that is what DLNA eliminates (modern NAS units have DLNA preconfigured, for example) so that the non-techie user can cope with it.

If the TV supports direct NAS access (SMB or NFS rather than DLNA), and if it still generates an animated thumbnail when using that access mechanism (it may do, SMB and NFS are little different from having the file locally), try setting up a network share on your computer and ditch DLNA. Or settle for what you've got and stop wishing for the moon.
Thank you for your reply; yet it does not help me at all, specially the last sentence.
I hope someone may be able of pointing me into the right direction in order to get the thumbnails working as I want.

Best regards.
post #2468 of 2476 Old 06-29-2017, 02:08 AM

[sigh]

I thought I made myself clear, but apparently not so I will summarise: You will not succeed in achieving animated thumbnails over a DLNA link. Try using a NAS type link instead (which may work, or may not - and if it doesn't, stop wasting your time wanting something you can't have).

Last edited by crashbot; 06-29-2017 at 03:04 AM.
post #2469 of 2476 Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
[sigh]

I thought I made myself clear, but apparently not so I will summarise: You will not succeed in achieving animated thumbnails over a DLNA link. Try using a NAS type link instead (which may work, or may not - and if it doesn't, stop wasting your time wanting something you can't have).
Oh, I see, surely I failed into making myself clear. I want exactly the opposite behavior. I want to see the still thumbnails when browsing the USB hard disk drive as it happens with the DLNA, no the other way.

Because an image worth a thousand words, I want them to be shown as the first image not the second when connecting the USB hard drive.

Code:
image at imgur(dot)com/a/bm4WS I don't have enough post to use images, sorry.
Thank you again.
I hope this clarifies my question. By the way English is not primary language so I must surely be responsible of the misunderstanding.
Best regards.
post #2470 of 2476 Old 06-29-2017, 12:20 PM

I see, sorry - looking back at your original post I can see that it is open to the opposite interpretation from what you intended (there's nothing wrong with it, I just read it the wrong way assuming you wanted animated thumbnails).

You are asking to change the default behaviour of the TV when browsing USB-hosted media. Unless there is a setting in the menus to alter this default, there is nothing you can do.

The designers of the user interfaces for TVs, set-top boxes, and just about every other consumer product (even cars) are arrogant enough to assume they know what the customer wants and that every customer wants the same thing. Take my car for example: set the air vent control to windscreen and it automatically turns on the aircon on the assumption the driver wants maximum demist. I hate that. Usually I don't want maximum demist, I just want to remove the draft from around my feet. And then, if the aircon is on when you stop the engine, it remains on when you start again... and yet the recirculation control (which I usually use in conjunction with aircon) cancels itself when you stop the engine.

Now processing power is cheap, the fashion for user interfaces is to make them as fancy and eye catching as possible so that the salesman can show them off and drive a sale by them being more fancy than the other makes. One day we'll get back to the idea of "simpler is better".
post #2471 of 2476 Old 06-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Thank you again for being so kind to answer me, perhaps I am way to used to the open source (linux mostly) community where there usually are more than a couple of ways to achieve things.

As I see it, if browsing the DLNA server shows the thumbnails, the DLNA server is somehow telling the TV how to show them when browsing, which it is not the case of the USB hard drive.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation regarding this matter that I can review; yet, I won't give and if a I come with a solution I will gladly share it with you guys.

Thank you again.
regards.
post #2472 of 2476 Old 07-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
Someone was using YouTube? I had the app synced and It was working perfectly, and now Youtube does not appear ... There is some other option than to put a pc? In the near future what about Netflix and Plex?

Cheers!
post #2473 of 2476 Old 07-07-2017, 02:05 AM

See post 2461.
post #2474 of 2476 Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
anyone tried youtube channel in plex?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/16...youtube-plugin

Was installed without problems, I can even browse the channels to which Im subscribed and see the thumbnails. But dont play the videos.

The alternative that I found to continue watching videos of youtube is with another media player (serviio) and go adding the channels manually with the plugin for firefox.

Cheers!
post #2475 of 2476 Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosalvatore View Post
Thank you again for being so kind to answer me, perhaps I am way to used to the open source (linux mostly) community where there usually are more than a couple of ways to achieve things.

As I see it, if browsing the DLNA server shows the thumbnails, the DLNA server is somehow telling the TV how to show them when browsing, which it is not the case of the USB hard drive.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation regarding this matter that I can review; yet, I won't give and if a I come with a solution I will gladly share it with you guys.

Thank you again.
regards.
it should show the thumbs from the USB drive, but it takes time to cache them, let it rest for a while while is turn on and they will be shown.
Edit: sorry I overlooked that you want to use the embed thumbnail instead of the default generated ones. just discard what i said.

Last edited by pepepaco1980; 08-02-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #2476 of 2476 Old 09-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Disney WOW results

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco1980 View Post
this also works for the Sharp HH02, the improvement is abysmal. thank you very much I love my TV once again.

I wonder if the Advanced Settings also works in PC mode, since in this mode I cant change the Color nor Tint, I have started to use PC mode and stream netflix from my laptop as I have the Impression it looks even better this way. But I dont know if I should revert advanced settings, Or I should move the tint and color from my laptop settings, since I cant change the TV in PC mode. Ill appreciate any help. thanks!

Also Id like to add that for sharp panels, few more points on Color makes the image much better, I noticed this since in PC mode the color is fixed at 50, but I dont recommend beyond 45 since it will bleed on more saturated images.
could also anyone confirm that Standard PC mode using netflix on IE Edge, looks better than the TV netflix app?? or
For PC mode Im using similar settings besides Anderegg's as above:
Backlight: 20
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 31/HDMI Black level Normal
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Gamma: +1
Colorspace: Native
Colortone: Warm 1
thanks.

Edit: I changed the settings to Brightness: 31/HDMI Black level Normal and changed my video card to output limited black range, it looks much better now.

I really would like someone in this forum to test the following just so see if i'm right:
is very important to use exactly these values:
  1. Optionally use the advanced Service menu settings from Anderegg's
  2. Connect your laptop to the HDMI DVI input.
  3. Change the input name to PC in the TV sources tools
  4. change your video card to output Limited Color Range (very important) and 59Hz Freq.
  5. change TV video mode to Standard, Contrast: 98, Brightness: 31, HDMI Black level Normal ,Gamma: +1, Colorspace: Native, Colortone: Warm 1
  6. open netflix using Microsoft Edge, and play anything on it. Edge should stream 1080p unlike other browsers.
  7. compare the image vs the built in Netflix app

can you see the difference? which one you like the most?

Edit: I continue testing different options, there is another combination that I like even more:
I switch the Video card output to Full range, changed the TV source name to Bluray, Then I setup the settings just like the ones from Anderegg's settings but instead of Movie mode I'm using standard mode, brightness should be 50-51/HDMI black level Normal. Sharpness I left it at 0, since it introduces noise in Bluray mode.
For some reason, Movie mode makes video noise brighter inside the darks, and in Standard mode, that noise blends much better in the dark areas. I also see more wider colors in both dark and bright areas.this is using netflix from Microsoft Edge browser.

I hope this helps anyone else. I'll continue trying to improve the image to the max. thank you.

I purchased the Disney wow Bluray to calibrate this TV, results are not that impressive but, they are different than my previous settings, I kinda like it this way, it looks a little Flat overall, but it allows you to add more color to the picture. Also with this settings I just need to change the Brightness up/down or Dark tone on/off depending on the source here are the settings:

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 5 (0 is actually under compensated)
Color: 48
Tint: G46/R54

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm1
Digital Noise Filter: off
MPEG Filter: off
Led Motion plus: Off

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic contrast: off
Black Tone: off (if source looks extremely flat, turn this on)
Flesh Tone:0
RGB mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: default
Gamma: -2

there is it, please let me know if you like it.

regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page