Westinghouse UW40T3PW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw this model on Best buy website, does anybody knows who makes the panel for this TV and if anybody bought it please tell us about picture and sound quality? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 AM

Liked: 10
sorry, I don't help.....
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Anyone?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have two Westies, but not that particular model. I am not sure who makes the panels but I am very happy with both of mine. Something interesting though, the remote control codes for my Westies match those of Sony.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Guess Samsung makes the panel?

My comments, all in all not a bad picture & very vivid, I tend to keep the brigtness just about all the way down on this, which may be a good thing. Seems to lack some inputs, though that seems to be the trend.

Set features an external power supply. At first I thought why? ... now I see this is one less internal component to go out internally in the set. & saves space too. : ) Perhaps easily user replacable of it goes out (& Power boards DO fail).

The first time I watched this set for about 6 hours, I was disappointed in the black level, blacks looked like a washed out dark blue or teal/green no matter where I set the backlight, &/or contrast or ambiant room light settings, this seemed to be a lot better the subsequent times I watched this set. There were also light areas of the screen when fully black (or no pictue). Picture seems very bright at times, although brightness turned all the way down. It was to my understanding, that LED backlighted sets had an outstanding contrast ratio, & the LED's were smart enough to turn off or dim in dark areas of the picture. Wondering if the LED light just a light engine taking the place of the CCF light engine? There seems to be no ambient room light sensor on this set.

After watching a few weeks the contrast looks great, not sure if there was a burn in period or something.

The access code I had to get via the 800#, I found this kind of annoying needing a password, though can be a clever security feature. I am currently on an OTA (Over The Air) antenna. Likely this will not happen, but in the future, if I change services to perhaps cable in the future will I need another access code?

Tuner issues - Upon Setup for OTA Antenna I find there is no way to see the physical channel, & when adding I assume I go to the Physical channel (in the Channel Add feature) to add, & I can only manually add one at a time if the channel is not available, (& then kicks me out of the menu)? There seems to be no way to see if a weaker channel may or may not be coming in & how strong a weaker channel (although non currently receivable) may be there close to the receivable threshold. Virtual & Physical Channels are NOT explained in the manual. My assumption this operational effect or decision a result of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) functionality, I'm on an OTA antenna & in a fringe area of several metros. where most have flocked to cable... in a way this is an annoyance to me.

ie: there is no way of knowing on this set that my virtual 5.1 is really being broadcast on Phyisical channel 15.1.

Doing a full channel search knocks out prior weaker channels that occasionally come in & were programmed in, there is no add scan.

I now have a analog Channel 6 in my area I may want to see on occasion that is grainy though this set will not access it Wondering if there is an analog tuner in this set?

Note the tuner threshold is set very high, meaning either the station comes in or it don't... no pixelazation (or very rare), while this is an asset in dense area rejecting weaker signals, I find it somewhat of a bother being in a fringe area. If I go to my weaker signal station, if it's not in memory it totally will reject going to the channel... thus too if you go to a channel in memory of it's not receiving, you will not even see a low bar weak signal present. Too bad this threshold isn't user settable.

Note Firmware glitch - Found when I switch to Video1 (Composite) & later switch back to the TV tuner, the channel (Label) description of the channel that the tuner is set to (ie: Call letters) may change to an errant description at random .. my This network sub went to ABC, my WEWS HD now says CBS (Actually an ABC station), My WUAB-DT now says UNIVIS (actually a My Network station) , going into channel description edit can suffice but there is no space character, a rescan will bring them back (thus losing my nominal weak channels I can occasionally watch that I keep hidden). Going back to the TV tuner via HDMI (or another input) may help not messing the channel labels.

There is no Component Video or YPbPr, Red Green & Blue RCA jacks, yet this input is selectable via the set & remote, was a disappointment not to be able to hook a standard DVD player to this set, There an adapter needed for the VGA to component input. This is not explained at all within the manual. I use the Composite Video (Red White & Yellow RCA's) for another component. The small audio jack is paired with the VGA jack, requiring an additional RCA breakout adapter. A Breakout for the VGA to YPbPr will be needed.

The picture seems more grainy & mottled (blurry) than on my 720p 60hz 37" set this is replacing, I would think being a 1080p & a 120hz would have a superior picture. There is no noise reduction setting in the Picture Menu as stated in the manual. I am disappointed in SD broadcasts on the sub channels over the one I am replacing.

Soft button on the front panel for the menu & on & off occasionaly don't work.

Some Positive notes....

I Love brushed black frame finish! (why hasn't this caught on?)

I watched my Copy of Flash Gordon (1981) on Bluray via HDMI, on the Westinghouse this is the sharpest I've seen a picture & the PQ & sharpness surpassed PQ on the Sony 46" 1080p! ... as sharp as if not better than a CRT!
(Yet this set don't seem to handle SD as well).
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

I saw this model on Best buy website, does anybody knows who makes the panel for this TV and if anybody bought it please tell us about picture and sound quality? Thanks in advance!

As far as the Sound quality it is what it is, I wouldn't call it poor, there are speaker pods to accomidate the speakers on the back of the unit. I also use a TDK/NXT subwoofer with 2 miranges for watching movies controlled by the sets audio out.... I don't use these all the time but I use them for DVD's.

It's all subjective, I have heard these sets judged for poor sound quality, but the sound is really no different than my Toshiba 37" that just bit the dust or my Sony Trinitron CRT.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

The picture seems more grainy & mottled (blurry) than on my 720p 60hz 37" set this is replacing, I would think being a 1080p & a 120hz would have a superior picture. There is no noise reduction setting in the Picture Menu as stated in the manual. I am disappointed in SD broadcasts on the sub channels over the one I am replacing.

I watched my Copy of Flash Gordon (1981) on Bluray via HDMI, on the Westinghouse this is the sharpest I've seen a picture & the PQ & sharpness surpassed PQ on the Sony 46" 1080p! ... as sharp as if not better than a CRT!
(Yet this set don't seem to handle SD as well).

I can no longer edit with new changes to the AVS boards.

I had gone up to evaluate the SD pictures side by side (or at least in the same place that provides OTA Local SD subchannel broadcasts) & found most sets above 32" size do not handle SD all that well, in fact the Toshiba 40" LED had the worst overall PQ in HD, I found the Westinghouse to be equal with the Sammy LED.

One other note, there is no 16:9 Squeeze mode, meaning upon watching my Fat Albert DVD via the HDMI on a Blu-ray player, Fat Albert appears a bit 'fatter' in forced stretch o vision smile.gif. This can be remidied through a Blu-ray player submenu, though I must reset back for optimum 16:9 movie viewing. I prefer to watch these type of lower resuloution discs via my standard DVD player, however with no component input, the set can not accomidate this without an additional adapter.

Spoke with a technician @ Westinghouse this week that was very helpful in explaining a bit about the set, they also will provide an adapter so I can hook my older DVD player up to the set via the VGA, along with a new screw set for the base (2 of the 4 screws were received bent, I did not want to fully tighten these).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse Uw40t3pw 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page