Vizio dead pixel warranty denied - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have purchased a Vizio XVT3D474SV 47" LCD TV last August. I worked fine (I was quite happy with it actually), but recently I noticed a cluster of 5 dead pixels on the screen. I have called up Vizio support a week ago and they asked me to send them the images of the dead pixels. They have later called me and confirmed that they see 5 dead pixels and that I should get a replacement under my warranty. At that point I was very pleased with Vizio customer support.

Today I received a call from Vizio and was told that what looks like dead pixels actually is some kind of insect/bug stuck behind the screen and that the warranty does not cover it. Hence my replacement was canceled.

Right now I am not really sure what to do. I feel it's very unlikely that a bug 5 pixels big crawled into my TV. Those pixels look like dead pixels to me. Maybe someone can take a look at the images and tell me what they think?
I attach the photos I sent to Vizio.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 12
Well, one way to test... open it up; if there's a bug, take it out, problem fixed. If there's no bug then you've confirmed that the reason for the denial is invalid.

Of course there's the question if opening it up voids your warranty; work that issue out with Vizio.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It looks like there's a dirt or bug inside behind the pixels.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuriN View Post

Hello everyone,

I have purchased a Vizio XVT3D474SV 47" LCD TV last August. I worked fine (I was quite happy with it actually), but recently I noticed a cluster of 5 dead pixels on the screen. I have called up Vizio support a week ago and they asked me to send them the images of the dead pixels. They have later called me and confirmed that they see 5 dead pixels and that I should get a replacement under my warranty. At that point I was very pleased with Vizio customer support.

Today I received a call from Vizio and was told that what looks like dead pixels actually is some kind of insect/bug stuck behind the screen and that the warranty does not cover it. Hence my replacement was canceled.

Right now I am not really sure what to do. I feel it's very unlikely that a bug 5 pixels big crawled into my TV. Those pixels look like dead pixels to me. Maybe someone can take a look at the images and tell me what they think?
I attach the photos I sent to Vizio.

Unfortunately your pictures appear to be so some sort of smudge or possibly a dead fly or spider behind your screen. If it were dead pixels the complete pixels would all be black and you can see that it's uneven and some lighter and darker areas. If you open it up you likely lose your warranty but if an authorized repair facility were to do it then the warranty would likely still be intact. All depends on how much it's worth to you but you might call around and inquire about price. I would also get it cleared through Vizio.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately your pictures appear to be so some sort of smudge or possibly a dead fly or spider behind your screen. If it were dead pixels the complete pixels would all be black and you can see that it's uneven and some lighter and darker areas. If you open it up you likely lose your warranty but if an authorized repair facility were to do it then the warranty would likely still be intact. All depends on how much it's worth to you but you might call around and inquire about price. I would also get it cleared through Vizio.

Ok, that clears things up. Vizio was right then. I did ask them for suggestions on fixing this, and they gave me a number of an authorized repairs service. I called this service up and they told me that they could not solve this problem. I guess I will call Vizio tomorrow and ask them for alternative repairs services. I really don't want to loose my warranty (I got extended 5 year warranty).

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Who cares about the warranty considering it ends in a couple months and if the panel fails after the fact it turns into an oversize paper weight considering there is no repairing Vizio products
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. Without actually sending someone out to look at it, there is NO way they can for sure say that's not dead pixels. They at least should send someone out to open it up and look.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
It's less than a year old (manufacturers warranty). Plus you have an extended warranty. It should be repaired or replaced under warranty, whatever is dead... bugs or pixels.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. Without actually sending someone out to look at it, there is NO way they can for sure say that's not dead pixels. They at least should send someone out to open it up and look.

Is this standard practice to send someone to actually look at a TV and see what is wrong with it?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM

As a warranty repair technician I just like to say that visio could send a certified tech to your home to diagnose the issue first, then if they indeed find a bug in there they would probably then say that the warranty is void at that point. They may even give you a quote on the cost of repair at that point. The fact that the tech says the warranty doesn't cover bugs inside the screen doesn't surprise me as most warranties consider that neglect on the owners part or "accidental damage."  My advise, call visio and ask them to send a technician to diagnose and confirm the issue as a "bug" problem. Then if it is a bug ask them to provide a quote to repair it. If it Is more than what the tv is worth then you will be facing getting a new one. most panel replacements are close to the cost of the tv just so you know.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Okcall me naive but shouldn't they make sure the screen is sealed from such vermin? If it's 1 thing bugs like,it's light so it should be assumed bugs will be attracted so it should be the manufacturers responsibility to seal it correctly.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 PM

no dead pixels... the working pixels are clearly seen behind the smudge... pain in the butt but cover needs to come off for the smudge/dirt/"insect remains" to be removed. ANY decent warranty or manufacturer should definitely cover something like this, obviously not the customer's fault.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 PM

Lightly tap it see if it falls down.

Tags
Vizio Xvt3d474sv 47 Inch Full Hd 3d Full Array Truled Lcd Hdtv 480 Hz Sps With Vizio Internet Apps