Vizio dead pixel warranty denied - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AzuriN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have purchased a Vizio XVT3D474SV 47" LCD TV last August. I worked fine (I was quite happy with it actually), but recently I noticed a cluster of 5 dead pixels on the screen. I have called up Vizio support a week ago and they asked me to send them the images of the dead pixels. They have later called me and confirmed that they see 5 dead pixels and that I should get a replacement under my warranty. At that point I was very pleased with Vizio customer support.

Today I received a call from Vizio and was told that what looks like dead pixels actually is some kind of insect/bug stuck behind the screen and that the warranty does not cover it. Hence my replacement was canceled.

Right now I am not really sure what to do. I feel it's very unlikely that a bug 5 pixels big crawled into my TV. Those pixels look like dead pixels to me. Maybe someone can take a look at the images and tell me what they think?
I attach the photos I sent to Vizio.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
AzuriN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Member
 
chicagorunner10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, one way to test... open it up; if there's a bug, take it out, problem fixed. If there's no bug then you've confirmed that the reason for the denial is invalid.

Of course there's the question if opening it up voids your warranty; work that issue out with Vizio.
chicagorunner10 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
InYourEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like there's a dirt or bug inside behind the pixels.
InYourEyes is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
HTguru3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuriN View Post

Hello everyone,

I have purchased a Vizio XVT3D474SV 47" LCD TV last August. I worked fine (I was quite happy with it actually), but recently I noticed a cluster of 5 dead pixels on the screen. I have called up Vizio support a week ago and they asked me to send them the images of the dead pixels. They have later called me and confirmed that they see 5 dead pixels and that I should get a replacement under my warranty. At that point I was very pleased with Vizio customer support.

Today I received a call from Vizio and was told that what looks like dead pixels actually is some kind of insect/bug stuck behind the screen and that the warranty does not cover it. Hence my replacement was canceled.

Right now I am not really sure what to do. I feel it's very unlikely that a bug 5 pixels big crawled into my TV. Those pixels look like dead pixels to me. Maybe someone can take a look at the images and tell me what they think?
I attach the photos I sent to Vizio.

Unfortunately your pictures appear to be so some sort of smudge or possibly a dead fly or spider behind your screen. If it were dead pixels the complete pixels would all be black and you can see that it's uneven and some lighter and darker areas. If you open it up you likely lose your warranty but if an authorized repair facility were to do it then the warranty would likely still be intact. All depends on how much it's worth to you but you might call around and inquire about price. I would also get it cleared through Vizio.
HTguru3 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AzuriN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Unfortunately your pictures appear to be so some sort of smudge or possibly a dead fly or spider behind your screen. If it were dead pixels the complete pixels would all be black and you can see that it's uneven and some lighter and darker areas. If you open it up you likely lose your warranty but if an authorized repair facility were to do it then the warranty would likely still be intact. All depends on how much it's worth to you but you might call around and inquire about price. I would also get it cleared through Vizio.

Ok, that clears things up. Vizio was right then. I did ask them for suggestions on fixing this, and they gave me a number of an authorized repairs service. I called this service up and they told me that they could not solve this problem. I guess I will call Vizio tomorrow and ask them for alternative repairs services. I really don't want to loose my warranty (I got extended 5 year warranty).

Thanks for your input guys!
AzuriN is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Unfortunately your pictures appear to be so some sort of smudge or possibly a dead fly or spider behind your screen. If it were dead pixels the complete pixels would all be black and you can see that it's uneven and some lighter and darker areas. If you open it up you likely lose your warranty but if an authorized repair facility were to do it then the warranty would likely still be intact. All depends on how much it's worth to you but you might call around and inquire about price. I would also get it cleared through Vizio.

Who cares about the warranty considering it ends in a couple months and if the panel fails after the fact it turns into an oversize paper weight considering there is no repairing Vizio products
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sitlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. Without actually sending someone out to look at it, there is NO way they can for sure say that's not dead pixels. They at least should send someone out to open it up and look.
sitlet is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 17,478
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
It's less than a year old (manufacturers warranty). Plus you have an extended warranty. It should be repaired or replaced under warranty, whatever is dead... bugs or pixels.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AzuriN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. Without actually sending someone out to look at it, there is NO way they can for sure say that's not dead pixels. They at least should send someone out to open it up and look.

Is this standard practice to send someone to actually look at a TV and see what is wrong with it?
AzuriN is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Newbie
 
cmoore39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

As a warranty repair technician I just like to say that visio could send a certified tech to your home to diagnose the issue first, then if they indeed find a bug in there they would probably then say that the warranty is void at that point. They may even give you a quote on the cost of repair at that point. The fact that the tech says the warranty doesn't cover bugs inside the screen doesn't surprise me as most warranties consider that neglect on the owners part or "accidental damage."  My advise, call visio and ask them to send a technician to diagnose and confirm the issue as a "bug" problem. Then if it is a bug ask them to provide a quote to repair it. If it Is more than what the tv is worth then you will be facing getting a new one. most panel replacements are close to the cost of the tv just so you know.

cmoore39 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Okcall me naive but shouldn't they make sure the screen is sealed from such vermin? If it's 1 thing bugs like,it's light so it should be assumed bugs will be attracted so it should be the manufacturers responsibility to seal it correctly.

M70-D3
M55 (2013)
M40 (2013)
E701i-A3 (2013)
indept is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
Mir Le's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

no dead pixels... the working pixels are clearly seen behind the smudge... pain in the butt but cover needs to come off for the smudge/dirt/"insect remains" to be removed. ANY decent warranty or manufacturer should definitely cover something like this, obviously not the customer's fault.

Mir Le is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
JeepingJohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Lightly tap it see if it falls down.

JeepingJohnny is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd like to reopen the thread. I have the same exact TV and very similar problem. It's been a great TV for four years. A few days ago I noticed a black smudge in the top middle of the screen. See the pics. I believe it is a dead gnat. It's difficult to tell from the photos but in real life it looks like it could be a bug. The pixels aren't dead as you can see in the pics. AzuriN, was your issue ever resolved? Who was your 5 year warranty with? I have an extended warranty through Sam's club. I am going to dig it up and see if they will come out to take a look. If it was toward the edge of the screen, I might not bother. But it's directly where people's faces are. Should I try tapping the screen? I thought of turning it on it's back and tapping the screen with a rubber stylus wrapped in a lens cloth.

How could the bug die in the middle? Wouldn't it just fall down?

Update: Actually I can't post pics until I get 5 posts But I guess you guys recommend I do nothing and just have a tech come out and verify if it's a bug? I shouldn't have to pay for diagnosis under warranty, correct?
thesrod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt3d474sv 47 Inch Full Hd 3d Full Array Truled Lcd Hdtv 480 Hz Sps With Vizio Internet Apps

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off