post #361 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

i sort of agree with him that a backlight of 1 doesnt make any sense, regardless of the environment. it kills color, contrast, and the overall vividness of a led when compared to plasma.

That's why you adjust colours, contrast and brightness accordingly. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Liked: 17
Thanks Max! Nice to know someone else doesn't go for this pro calibration nonsense. "The colorometertron says the colors look best at Backlight 1! I bet they'd be even better with the TV off!!!" wink.gif

I was watching Monday Night Raw last night using Warm2 and a low backlight. Are you telling me the ring and ropes are supposed to be the color of Coca Cola? Do they have a new sponsor? rolleyes.gif
Srujan Sujju likes this.
post #363 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Thanks Max! Nice to know someone else doesn't go for this pro calibration nonsense. "The colorometertron says the colors look best at Backlight 1! I bet they'd be even better with the TV off!!!" wink.gif
I was watching Monday Night Raw last night using Warm2 and a low backlight. Are you telling me the ring and ropes are supposed to be the color of Coca Cola? Do they have a new sponsor? rolleyes.gif

It's not just about setting colour to warm 2, the point is it's a more accurate starting point than neutral which is hugely blue tinted and far from reality, the thing is it's more difficult for our eyes to spot errors with blue than it is with red.

If you had your set calibrated they would adjust the white balance etc accordingly.

It's not about insulting people who like the picture one way, it is getting pretty tiresome with the naivety on this thread towards setting up a tv properly.

Why do you think in big box stores they have the tv in vivid mode with sharpness high and colours over saturated and blue tinted? It's because bright and punchy attracts the unfamiliar and those who lack knowledge of what how an image should look.

As i say horses for courses and all. wink.gif
post #364 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The backlight would also be set by meter for the correct light output. I currently have my backlight at min, bat then it's not in a bright living room. If it is a sunny day i may up the backlight to taste.

You like the picture bright, good for you, enjoy it and stop trashing sites etc who disagree with your thinking.

Calibrators have there place.
post #365 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 12
I tried the Cnet settings.

The settings I had issues with were:

Backlight: 1

Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

Backlight:1 was just too low; I have it set at 3. And I prefer the results when I turn Motionflow on and CineMotion off. CineMotion would give me headaches.

I always watch in a dark room. I suspect those who set Backlight much higher do not. In a darkened room, the whites are white for me, not brown. Black and white are mostly just perception.
post #366 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can anyone tell me the width of the stand that comes with the 55hx850? I can't find that info anywhere and all stores wall mount this. I just realized that might be an issue.

--
(this space for rent)
post #367 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

TBh Kevin you have well and truly shown yourself up with those last two posts, which are unnecessary and offensive.

This is where you show you don't have a clue, just because neutral is called neutral, it is still determined by Sony as to the colour temperature, i can assure you it is not neutral at all, these sets aren't calibrated. They are set up by Sony.

Even Warm 2 is bluer tinted than other manufacturers have warm 2 like Samsung for example.
Quote:
A sweep of the (many) Viewing Modes and Scene selections revealed that once again Sony has chosen the Cinema scenes to provide the most accurate pictures to the industry standards. Sony take a different stance to the bulk of manufacturers and their usual colour temperature for the most accurate mode is generally higher than the average. The reason is simple, as they tend to favour ensuring having more blue energy in the text over red and green, where most manufacturers tend to do it the other way around with their Warm colour temps. If anything we prefer Sony’s approach as blue errors are more difficult to discern to the human eye. It does mean that the high tones look a little bleached but it’s more tolerable than green, yellow or red casts. As the charts below demonstrate, the Sony KDL-55HX853 continued this approach:

No need to speak to me how you have.

Aaron
post #368 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Doc: I will measure it for you tonight.

Hard2Bear: My final word on this "pro calibration" stupidity: why turn the color temp to Warm2 to tint everything red, then use White Balance to turn the red back down again? Do you realize how stupid that is?!? Neutral isn't blue tinted- Cool is!!! This is why people with half a brain realize this calibration stuff is ********. And like someone else posted, Sony puts all these things in there for a reason, so sure VIVID is VIVID, but Standard is much more reasonable. So is the default Cinema, Sports, and Game settings. I trust Sony's technicians a helluva lot more than I trust some randoms on a messageboard. And if memory serves, you were the one who started with the insults by attacking someone's OPINION.
post #369 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I don't view in a dark room either, there is always a light on, find 3 plenty bright but can see why some like it brighter.

Just to add my eyes are permanently dilated, meaning i am sensitive to bright lighting.

Aaron

Here is a good reason to use your own settings and not other people's.
post #370 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 10
So, last night, I got a stuck pixel. I was pissed because I just got the tv a couple weeks ago. So, I made plans to return/exchange it on my weekend, but this morning the pixel was gone, all better... Should I keep the tv or was that stuck pixel a sign of more bad things to come?
post #371 of 2228 Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Doc, the stand is 10.5 inches by 17.5 inches.

Isaac, you might wanna exchange it if you still can. Like you said, it could be a bad sign!
post #372 of 2228 Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 AM

First of all after living six months with a white myst all over my crappy LG 47" lx9500 flagship model, I have been looking to buy a new set so I went with sony my local store in Australia JB HI FI is having 15% off TVs tomorrow so I'am getting the 55" model at $2546 kangarinos which when converted is $2,686 yankee dollars. Just a quick question what is the difference between the hx850 and the upcoming 950.
post #373 of 2228 Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
no one knows a thing about the 950.
post #374 of 2228 Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Isaac, you might wanna exchange it if you still can. Like you said, it could be a bad sign!

Thanks for the reply. The place I bought it from has a 90 day return/exchange policy. I'll keep it until then and see if anything else happens.

Also, does anyone else's stand seem flimsy?
post #375 of 2228 Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Can I safely assume that's 17.5" in width?

I'm going to put this on a low swivel TV stand meant for a 20" set, which should work for those dimensions and the set's weight.
I just need to elevate it over the top of my components.

--
(this space for rent)
post #376 of 2228 Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacstaco View Post

Thanks for the reply. The place I bought it from has a 90 day return/exchange policy. I'll keep it until then and see if anything else happens.
Also, does anyone else's stand seem flimsy?

I use the stand and find it pretty stable. When you say flimsy do you mean cheaply made?
post #377 of 2228 Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

I use the stand and find it pretty stable. When you say flimsy do you mean cheaply made?

It feels cheaply made. Feels like all the screws are loose, but they are tight.

Also, that stuck pixel came back again rolleyes.gif. Taking it back for exchange next Wednesday. I'm even considering going with the hx929 this time. Hmmm...
post #378 of 2228 Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Finally just got my 46" HX850 tonight from the Sony Store.
Just finished temporarily hooking it up since they didnt have the 46" Proforma stand in stock and that has to be shipped to me in 5-7 days so its on the floor right now.
Also they didnt have in stock the brushed aluminum sexy euro stand so thats coming as well.

Now to calibrate it to get it looking better.

Going to be in the hospital for a while after some serious surgery so Ill be in bed at home recovering and hoping to enjoy my new TV during that time.

I had already previously bought the CT-550 sound bar and sub so gotta hook that up too,
Will post pix once its all done.

my 1st Sony TV. This one is going in the bedroom.
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #379 of 2228 Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 AM

Anyone here play Gran Turismo in 3d on this set and what are there recommended settings
post #380 of 2228 Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Anyone connect a PC or MAC to the TV?
Do you notice you loose the outer ages. In windows you can change the Quantization Range from limited to full.
On Mac there is no such setting... Any ideas why our TV does this?
post #381 of 2228 Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilhasbb View Post

Anyone connect a PC or MAC to the TV?
Do you notice you loose the outer ages. In windows you can change the Quantization Range from limited to full.
On Mac there is no such setting... Any ideas why our TV does this?

Sounds like over scan, go into the display settings and turn it off for pc/mac use. wink.gif
tilhasbb likes this.
post #382 of 2228 Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM

So I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 55HX850. So far I LOVE it though I'm still working to find some ideal setttings. I'm pretty much using BitterKevin's settings except I've upped the color to 55 and sharpness to 75. Also I've got Motionflow on OFF and Cinemotion OFF. I guess I'm having a tough time understanding these two things..

Can someone clarify why I would ever want either of these two things on? My understanding is that if I'm watching something filmed on HD video like sports, MotionFlow and Cinemotion will smooth out the constant panning of the camera, right?

Well, what if I'm watching say, The Big Bang Theory. That show appears to be filmed on film right? So in that case, anything filmed on film will be all soap opera-y with motionflow and cinemotion.

Also in general, MotionFlow seems to dim the picture a lot.

Can anyone clearly explain the difference between Cinemotion and motionflow?
post #383 of 2228 Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh452 View Post

So I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 55HX850. So far I LOVE it though I'm still working to find some ideal setttings. I'm pretty much using BitterKevin's settings except I've upped the color to 55 and sharpness to 75. Also I've got Motionflow on OFF and Cinemotion OFF. I guess I'm having a tough time understanding these two things..
Can someone clarify why I would ever want either of these two things on? My understanding is that if I'm watching something filmed on HD video like sports, MotionFlow and Cinemotion will smooth out the constant panning of the camera, right?
Well, what if I'm watching say, The Big Bang Theory. That show appears to be filmed on film right? So in that case, anything filmed on film will be all soap opera-y with motionflow and cinemotion.
Also in general, MotionFlow seems to dim the picture a lot.
Can anyone clearly explain the difference between Cinemotion and motionflow?

Motion Flow on content like blu ray etc will cause the soap opera effect, however for something like the big bang theory, using the Clear setting will aid motion without adding the soap opera effect to tv, it is still recommended to have motion flow off for films in 24p though ie blu rays.

Have you turned the ambient sensor off in the energy saving options, as this really dims the screen.

Aaron
post #384 of 2228 Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I've had to take back 5 tvs in the last two months due to backlight issues, poor colors, and terrible 3-D (Sony KDL-BX520, Samsung ES6100, EH6000, Panasonic UT50, and Vizio M3D550KD). How is screen-uniformity and 3-D on this set?
post #385 of 2228 Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

CineMotion is Sony's name for their dejudder-er, which is used to correct for any stuttering created by frame rate conversions of film (such as 24 to 60fps). It extrapolates additional frames and can create the Soap Opera Effect, which just means that it looks like it was shot with a high frame rate.
Not my cup of tea and the sort of feature usually recommended to be turned off.

MotionFlow (Motion Enhancement) is a deblur-er which reduces blurring during fast movement. This is usually used for displays like plasmas that have image persistence that can reduce picture quality, but it also sharpens blurred frames caused by any movement faster than the shudder speed can handle. That means it can improve video sources (like sports) as well as film. This one is a matter of taste and shouldn't create any adverse artifacts like a dejudderer (Cinemotion).

That sound right to you guys? I've seen conflicting info on this.

--
(this space for rent)
post #386 of 2228 Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

CineMotion is Sony's name for their dejudder-er, which is used to correct for any stuttering created by frame rate conversions of film (such as 24 to 60fps). It extrapolates additional frames and can create the Soap Opera Effect, which just means that it looks like it was shot with a high frame rate.
Not my cup of tea and the sort of feature usually recommended to be turned off.
MotionFlow (Motion Enhancement) is a deblur-er which reduces blurring during fast movement. This is usually used for displays like plasmas that have image persistence that can reduce picture quality, but it also sharpens blurred frames caused by any movement faster than the shudder speed can handle. That means it can improve video sources (like sports) as well as film. This one is a matter of taste and shouldn't create any adverse artifacts like a dejudderer (Cinemotion).
That sound right to you guys? I've seen conflicting info on this.

Sounds about right, not sure about the plasma part, not something i have heard personally about them. It will usually create artefacts for lcd though because of how it works, and any plasma that has similar, even though plasma doesn't actually need any motion enhancers.

Aaron
post #387 of 2228 Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

you'd think Sony would make it clearer how to update the firmware...When I pressed the netflix button it said feature unavailable....if i went into the apps and selected netflix it told me I needed a software update..Ok great no biggie...the update took 2 hours only to result in an error. I tried 3 times (six hours wasted over a couple days. Finally I go annoyed and called Sony. First of all, to all those who complain about Sony customer service, all I can say is they were great...No hold time, real human being, step by step walk through.

It's not obvious that this was the problem...once she directed me to where to find my current firmware version it was obvious that it was outdated. Since things seemed so slow to download directly on the TV she suggested using my computer to download the firmware to a flash drive and then pop it into the TV...Ten minutes later my tv was updated and netflix worked.

So just a heads up to anyone buying this tv now, you're prob going to need to go through this process....

esupport.sony.com -> enter your model number, go to drivers and software -> select firmware -> download firmware to to a FAT32 formatted flash drive.

Pop the drive into the TV and it will automatically do the rest.
post #388 of 2228 Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Sounds about right, not sure about the plasma part, not something i have heard personally about them. It will usually create artefacts for lcd though because of how it works, and any plasma that has similar, even though plasma doesn't actually need any motion enhancers.
Aaron

I'm not sure whether modern plasmas are just faster or if there use inbuilt enhancers that are non-tweakable so you don't know they're doing their job.

--
(this space for rent)
post #389 of 2228 Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Finally exchanged my hx850, with stuck pixel, for a new one. Happy with the replacment so far, hopefully no more stuck pixel's...

On a side note, the stand feels a lot more sturdy this time. My old one felt really flimsy.
post #390 of 2228 Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Really want to get the hx850 over the panasonic plasma vt50....
The one thing holding me back is the stand...Have people who bought
the sony gotten used to the stand...I dont plan on mounting my next tv
so the stand plays a minor role in what I get.....

Also wondering if I should get the alternative low profile stand...
Do notice it causes the tv to tilt back a little...Has anyone purchased
this??...Does it effect the picture at all??
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SUB553S
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page