Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 2228 Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Use what looks best to your eyes. I personally found using Warm 2 plus turning green gain down in the white balance git rid of the dirty affect. Neutral on these set's isn't neutral as in no bias either way, i know this may sound strange to some but it is Sony's interpretation of neutral and is heavily blue tinted.
You could also tweak red gain but by eye is not the easiest or most accurate way.
Before anyone says why not just use neutral then instead of tweaking red out of warm. Well if you used Neutral, you would need to take huge amounts of blue push out and it would be very difficult to get colors natural.
The thing is, blue color errors are harder to detect than red or green. It's just how our eyes perceive the image and colors.
Aaron

I agree with HaRd2BeAr that using Nuetral is not a very good choice because the white is not really white but blue tinted white. Its been that way always at least with sony tvs. I have an 2001 sony XBR CRT tv in my dinning room and even then neutral was blue tinted. Idon´t tweak the white balance because honestly i don't know how to do it without the proper tools of a calibrator. Is my understanding that without a colorimeter and the pertinent software to measure the color temp you cannot calibrate the white balance acurately, but if HaRd2BeAr knows a way to do it without it and get good results, please explaint to us. I have always wanted to know if there is a way to do it withou the proper tools?. I won't use clear white at al,l because options like that one or black corrector what they do is increase the black or white but crushing shadow detail in the process. stay away from those two!
rajivr, in the end like HaRd2BeAr said, used what looks best to your eyes just let tell you that that preferences change over time. From 1999 to 2003 I used neutral becuase i like it in CRT tvs. from 2003 to 2011 always used warm 1 because I cannot longer stand neutral and I percieved warm 2 to have to much red and soft whites. Maybe the problem were my tvs (sony S3000 and later sony Z5100) because i cannot do a professional calibration of the white balance even if I wanted to (in my country there are no professionals in this area unlike the US). Now in 2012 I'm really enjoying the Warm 2 setting in Cinema 1, the colos are full and well balance and i Know the white is not pure white but i like the way it is, and I think is because like the Cnet and FlatpanelsHD reviews said, the color the HX850 display in the cinema preset is very acurate, so it is very close to the specification of a proper profesional calibration. Just compare the same images in warm 1 and later in warm 2 and IMO the latter came out on top.
Fegam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 2228 Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Member
 
rajivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Aaron and Fegam for your detailed explanation. I have been watching neutral on Sony for 10 years, so warm2 is too drastic of a change, however I am gonna give Warm1 a decent run and see how I like it.

Is white balance adjustment as simple as holding a white paper in front of the TV and trying to match it with a white screen?

Aaron, what are your white balance settings for warm2?
rajivr is offline  
post #453 of 2228 Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I went and looked at this TV today at the future shop. It was set up in torch mode so I convinced the sales guy to tone it down a bit. I have to say from what I have seen it looks real nice. Black are nice and so are the whites. I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow and get this set. Will be nice to see it not so ramped up. I also looked at a panasonic VT50 which is nice but the motion smoother was not very strong.I am hoping once calibrated this Sony has very strong motion interpolation. I just love that look.
Srujan Sujju and kgunn like this.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #454 of 2228 Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Thanks Aaron and Fegam for your detailed explanation. I have been watching neutral on Sony for 10 years, so warm2 is too drastic of a change, however I am gonna give Warm1 a decent run and see how I like it.
Is white balance adjustment as simple as holding a white paper in front of the TV and trying to match it with a white screen?
Aaron, what are your white balance settings for warm2?

Good give warm 1 a try you won't regreated, try to uset it for several days at least, so your eyes will a accustom to the new settings, before you realise when you look at neutral again you'll see that the look of peoples faces and color saturation are much much better in warm 1. Another IMPORTANT THING I forget to tell you is that when I was using cinema 1 the picture looks nice and then I remeber reading somewhere that the LIGHT SENSOR SETTING was ON by default on this tv, so I look and there were right. This setting is located in preferences if I remeber correctly not in pictures settings and what it does is that adjust the backlight acording to room brigthness and let me tell you that doesn´t work very well (in any of my last 3 sony tvs including the HX850) in fact what its does is display the picture to dark to my taste. So I correctly set the Light Sensor to OFF and Viola! the picture went from looking nice to EXCELENT, beautifull definition and shadow detail . You will see the change if you haven't deactivate that setting yet, trust me, and remember that i haven´t made the full calibration yet.
Fegam is offline  
post #455 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I went and looked at this TV today at the future shop. It was set up in torch mode so I convinced the sales guy to tone it down a bit. I have to say from what I have seen it looks real nice. Black are nice and so are the whites. I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow and get this set. Will be nice to see it not so ramped up. I also looked at a panasonic VT50 which is nice but the motion smoother was not very strong.I am hoping once calibrated this Sony has very strong motion interpolation. I just love that look.

Cardoski, I was looking at the VT50 and GT50 along with the sony HX850. The picture of the panasonic is truly amazing specially the VT50 but for me the deal breaker with the panny plasmas is that you can't apreciate this amazing picture in bright rooms. in fact i`ll tell i look at the tv in a medium bright room and the pictture specially the blacks tend to fade and wash out to much to my taste. My room is medium bright even with my curtains close, so dispite I wanted to try a plasma for the first time, My room conditions dictate I'm a LCD guy all the way. Why spend a lot of cash to only see an avarage picture during the day. (I try the THX day mode and even then the picture and colors tend to loose fullness and with a setting of picture/constrat of maximum 100). The sony is truly a very good tv, the reviewers from diferent US and european sites had named the HX850 as the best LCD of the year and I agree a 100%. I haven´t calibrated mine but out of the boc the cinema 1 seting gives a excelent picture, very close to professional standars, especially in the color temperature area. (read my answers to rajivr for more info in picture settings). If you like the soap opera efect, you can have it with this sony, just use motionflow on Smooth and you got it!, but for what I have seen the samsung LEDs tend to create a much more strong soap opera efect, but these tvs are much more also expensive that the sony (the direct competition will be the ES-7500 or the ES-8000) and IMO aren't worth the price difference (The gesture control of these TVs is CRAP, believe me I tried it but the smart tv platform is the best in the market). the HX850 has 5 settings for motionflow from least strong to very strong just stay away from IMPULSE, is just doesn't work
cardoski likes this.
Fegam is offline  
post #456 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Member
 
rajivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Good give warm 1 a try you won't regreated, try to uset it for several days at least, so your eyes will a accustom to the new settings, before you realise when you look at neutral again you'll see that the look of peoples faces and color saturation are much much better in warm 1. Another IMPORTANT THING I forget to tell you is that when I was using cinema 1 the picture looks nice and then I remeber reading somewhere that the LIGHT SENSOR SETTING was ON by default on this tv, so I look and there were right. This setting is located in preferences if I remeber correctly not in pictures settings and what it does is that adjust the backlight acording to room brigthness and let me tell you that doesn´t work very well (in any of my last 3 sony tvs including the HX850) in fact what its does is display the picture to dark to my taste. So I correctly set the Light Sensor to OFF and Viola! the picture went from looking nice to EXCELENT, beautifull definition and shadow detail . You will see the change if you haven't deactivate that setting yet, trust me, and remember that i haven´t made the full calibration yet.

8 and clear are for day time viewing, correct? For night time, in a dark room, do you reduce backlight to 3?
rajivr is offline  
post #457 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

I agree with HaRd2BeAr that using Nuetral is not a very good choice because the white is not really white but blue tinted white. Its been that way always at least with sony tvs. I have an 2001 sony XBR CRT tv in my dinning room and even then neutral was blue tinted. Idon´t tweak the white balance because honestly i don't know how to do it without the proper tools of a calibrator. Is my understanding that without a colorimeter and the pertinent software to measure the color temp you cannot calibrate the white balance acurately, but if HaRd2BeAr knows a way to do it without it and get good results, please explaint to us. I have always wanted to know if there is a way to do it withou the proper tools?. I won't use clear white at al,l because options like that one or black corrector what they do is increase the black or white but crushing shadow detail in the process. stay away from those two!
rajivr, in the end like HaRd2BeAr said, used what looks best to your eyes just let tell you that that preferences change over time. From 1999 to 2003 I used neutral becuase i like it in CRT tvs. from 2003 to 2011 always used warm 1 because I cannot longer stand neutral and I percieved warm 2 to have to much red and soft whites. Maybe the problem were my tvs (sony S3000 and later sony Z5100) because i cannot do a professional calibration of the white balance even if I wanted to (in my country there are no professionals in this area unlike the US). Now in 2012 I'm really enjoying the Warm 2 setting in Cinema 1, the colos are full and well balance and i Know the white is not pure white but i like the way it is, and I think is because like the Cnet and FlatpanelsHD reviews said, the color the HX850 display in the cinema preset is very acurate, so it is very close to the specification of a proper profesional calibration. Just compare the same images in warm 1 and later in warm 2 and IMO the latter came out on top.

As you say without the correct tools it is very difficult to get colors anywhere near accurate and it is all somewhat guess work. So not going to claim that my tv is meeting industry standards, but it is much better than out of the box mode. As i say a big step to greater accuracy is moving from neutral to warm 2, but even warm 1 is better. I was surprised to find out that even warm 2 has a slight blue push. I went from a review in the Uk and adjusted white balance based on that. My set actually had a slight green tint to it which made whites look dirty.

I used the Spears and munsil blu ray to set up brightness and contrast etc.

Aaron
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #458 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Thanks Aaron and Fegam for your detailed explanation. I have been watching neutral on Sony for 10 years, so warm2 is too drastic of a change, however I am gonna give Warm1 a decent run and see how I like it.
Is white balance adjustment as simple as holding a white paper in front of the TV and trying to match it with a white screen?
Aaron, what are your white balance settings for warm2?

White balance settings will vary set to set so be careful.

Scene: Cinema
Picture Cinema 1 night, cinema 2 day.
Backlight: 4 (night) 8 (day)
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 49 (night) 55 (day)
Color: 49
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness : 20 (blu ray) 50 (cable)
Noise reduction :Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth gradation: Low
Motionflow: Off/Clear (i had motion flow off for a while but it is probably better on)
Film mode : Auto 1 (in the Uk this adds cadence detection without adding the soap opera effect, may vary in the US)
Black corrector : Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (on raises black levels ie makes them lighter)
Gamma: Default
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge enhancer: Off
R Gain: -2
G Gain: 0 (my set started off with a green tint that eventually went on it's own, not sure why)
B Gain: -8
R Bias: 0
G Bias: 0
B Bias: 0
Eco: Off (as has been said, light sensor is far to aggressive and takes far to much brightness out of the screen to be useful.)
rajivr likes this.
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #459 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Cardoski, I was looking at the VT50 and GT50 along with the sony HX850. The picture of the panasonic is truly amazing specially the VT50 but for me the deal breaker with the panny plasmas is that you can't apreciate this amazing picture in bright rooms. in fact i`ll tell i look at the tv in a medium bright room and the pictture specially the blacks tend to fade and wash out to much to my taste. My room is medium bright even with my curtains close, so dispite I wanted to try a plasma for the first time, My room conditions dictate I'm a LCD guy all the way. Why spend a lot of cash to only see an avarage picture during the day. (I try the THX day mode and even then the picture and colors tend to loose fullness and with a setting of picture/constrat of maximum 100). The sony is truly a very good tv, the reviewers from diferent US and european sites had named the HX850 as the best LCD of the year and I agree a 100%. I haven´t calibrated mine but out of the boc the cinema 1 seting gives a excelent picture, very close to professional standars, especially in the color temperature area. (read my answers to rajivr for more info in picture settings). If you like the soap opera efect, you can have it with this sony, just use motionflow on Smooth and you got it!, but for what I have seen the samsung LEDs tend to create a much more strong soap opera efect, but these tvs are much more also expensive that the sony (the direct competition will be the ES-7500 or the ES-8000) and IMO aren't worth the price difference (The gesture control of these TVs is CRAP, believe me I tried it but the smart tv platform is the best in the market). the HX850 has 5 settings for motionflow from least strong to very strong just stay away from IMPULSE, is just doesn't work





Thank you for the reply. I am about 99% sold on the Sony. My main reason for a new TV is that my current set, an LG55LW5600 has very weak motion settings. Footballs when going across the screen, ghost like crazy and there appears to be no motion interpolation what so ever.The color and blacks are good and overall it is a nice set. But my big thing is that darn Soap opera look. So your statement that Samsungs do better in that regard gives me Reason to pause.Even though I know all the reviewers including you give the Sony the thumbs up.The Samung 55ES7500 is cheaper then the Sony where I live. I could care less about the motion control, I am going for best picture quality with strong motion interpolation. In fact I run a pretty powerful PC to my TV, (big reason not to get plasma for me) and use Pot player with SVP 3.1. This software adds extra frames to the picture to get motion smoothing, really cool software. But with my TV still not enough. So I am thinking a semi strong soap opera look with the blacks of the Sony may be a winner. Considering I have no such look now. I really wish I had never seen motion interpolation.
Srujan Sujju likes this.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #460 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Thank you for the reply. I am about 99% sold on the Sony. My main reason for a new TV is that my current set, an LG55LW5600 has very weak motion settings. Footballs when going across the screen ghost like crazy and there appears to be no motion interpolation what so ever.The color and blacks are good and overall it is a nice set. But my big thing is that darn Soap opera look. So your statement that Samsungs do better in that regard gives me Reason to pause.Even though I know all the reviewers including you give the Sony the thumbs up.I suppose I can always return it. Overall pretty nice issue to have, oh woe is me what ever shall I chose.

In terms of overall PQ you won't go wrong with the HX850. Samsung does have better "Soap Opera Efect" if that's your thing but the 2012 ES models have screen uniformity issues (ES6100-ES8000). The EH models are great for screen uniformity but the PQ suffers a great deal. I personally don't have the HX850 but my friend does and it looks great! I'd stay away from Samsung in 2012.
cardoski likes this.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #461 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

8 and clear are for day time viewing, correct? For night time, in a dark room, do you reduce backlight to 3?

I use backlight 8 for day and night becuase i don't watch tv in the dark (hurt my eyes!) i always have discrete lighting for night watching. You have to try with real programing in the day and in the night to determine with wich level you feel ok. Start by watching a program with backlignt in 1, then increase the backlight by one and watch again the same minute or so of programing (i guess you have a dvr), and so forth until you get a point when the image look to intense for your eyes, the you'll know that's you maximun level. If the image is dull and doesn't look sharp then increase one point and if is to strong that your eyes hurt after a litlle while the turn 1 or 2 points down. Motioflow is the funtion that makes the picture more stable by motion interpolation, and what it does is interpolate new frames between the original frames and thus creating a more fluid motion. Motionflow has 5 settings but i just find 2 of them really usefull, "Smooth" if you like the Soap opera efect and "Clear" if you like to have nice fluid motion but retaining the cinematic feel of the picture AKA "NO SOAP OPERA EFECT". So experiment with tha backlight in day and night to find the level is most suitable for your room and your eyes but I'll Advice to always use motionflow at least in CLEAR (the least agresive motion interpolation) for all cable tv viewing. For blu-rays I'll say try it both ways and decide what your like the best, but I had always used motionflow on OFF because the blu-rays are 1080/24p and is this state their fluidity is very good.
rajivr likes this.
Fegam is offline  
post #462 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Thank you for the reply. I am about 99% sold on the Sony. My main reason for a new TV is that my current set, an LG55LW5600 has very weak motion settings. Footballs when going across the screen, ghost like crazy and there appears to be no motion interpolation what so ever.The color and blacks are good and overall it is a nice set. But my big thing is that darn Soap opera look. So your statement that Samsungs do better in that regard gives me Reason to pause.Even though I know all the reviewers including you give the Sony the thumbs up.The Samung 55ES7500 is cheaper then the Sony where I live. I could care less about the motion control, I am going for best picture quality with strong motion interpolation. In fact I run a pretty powerful PC to my TV, (big reason not to get plasma for me) and use Pot player with SVP 3.1. This software adds extra frames to the picture to get motion smoothing, really cool software. But with my TV still not enough. So I am thinking a semi strong soap opera look with the blacks of the Sony may be a winner. Considering I have no such look now. I really wish I had never seen motion interpolation.

Like Justing Sullings point out, i have read that some led samsungs have uniformity problems, so the best way to compare it with the sony in that regard is looking at them both is a local store. I have only see the 55 ES-7500 and I didin´t see any problems but you never now! My sony has a very good uniformity across the screen specially if you set the dynamic led on "standard". In some movies with letterbox bars, if the image is extremly bright you could see a tiny little white bleding in the corners but that situation is common for all edge lit led tvs and is almost inperceptible. to dertrmine what tv has better motion interpolation compare them side by side and see what you like the best (for the sony the strongest setting for motionflow is Smooth, for the samsung i don't know)
Fegam is offline  
post #463 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven't used the 3d yet, but I wanted to know what 3d glasses you recomend for the HX850. I have read that the sony TR250 has problems with crosstalk and are really uncomfortable. I know that there are playstation 3d glasses. do you know if there are any good?. Are there any other brands that work for this tv and what models are they?
Fegam is offline  
post #464 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Like Justing Sullings point out, i have read that some led samsungs have uniformity problems, so the best way to compare it with the sony in that regard is looking at them both is a local store. I have only see the 55 ES-7500 and I didin´t see any problems but you never now! My sony has a very good uniformity across the screen specially if you set the dynamic led on "standard". In some movies with letterbox bars, if the image is extremly bright you could see a tiny little white bleding in the corners but that situation is common for all edge lit led tvs and is almost inperceptible. to dertrmine what tv has better motion interpolation compare them side by side and see what you like the best (for the sony the strongest setting for motionflow is Smooth, for the samsung i don't know)

By strongest do you mean soap opera effect? Because to reduce motion blur clear plus is the best then clear.

Sorry if i have misunderstood.

Aaron
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #465 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Like Justing Sullings point out, i have read that some led samsungs have uniformity problems, so the best way to compare it with the sony in that regard is looking at them both is a local store. I have only see the 55 ES-7500 and I didin´t see any problems but you never now! My sony has a very good uniformity across the screen specially if you set the dynamic led on "standard". In some movies with letterbox bars, if the image is extremly bright you could see a tiny little white bleding in the corners but that situation is common for all edge lit led tvs and is almost inperceptible. to dertrmine what tv has better motion interpolation compare them side by side and see what you like the best (for the sony the strongest setting for motionflow is Smooth, for the samsung i don't know)

It's the same on Samsungs. Smooth has the strongest "SOE."
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #466 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

By strongest do you mean soap opera effect? Because to reduce motion blur clear plus is the best then clear.
Sorry if i have misunderstood.
Aaron

Yes Aaron if you use Smooth then you'll have SOE. If you want to have a cinematic feel with good motion fluidity then used Clear or Clear Plus. I like to use Clear because when I was experimenting with motionflow I felt that Clear plus makes the image a litlle more darker than Clear, fact that I corroborate in a review I read (don´t remenber wich one right now but I think it was a european site) in wich they explained that Clear Plus interpolates new frames into the existing ones but also interpolates a black screen in there also, thus making the image a litlle more dark that Clear. Both settings are ok because both give you good motion and NO SOE, is just a matter of personal taste wich one you like the most. The reviewer said that you are fine with anyone of the two
Fegam is offline  
post #467 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Yes Aaron if you use Smooth then you'll have SOE. If you want to have a cinematic feel with good motion fluidity then used Clear or Clear Plus. I like to use Clear because when I was experimenting with motionflow I felt that Clear plus makes the image a litlle more darker than Clear, fact that I corroborate in a review I read (don´t remenber wich one right now but I think it was a european site) in wich they explained that Clear Plus interpolates new frames into the existing ones but also interpolates a black screen in there also, thus making the image a litlle more dark that Clear. Both settings are ok because both give you good motion and NO SOE, is just a matter of personal taste wich one you like the most. The reviewer said that you are fine with anyone of the two

Ok thank you, i am with you now. wink.gif
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #468 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

White balance settings will vary set to set so be careful.
Scene: Cinema
Picture Cinema 1 night, cinema 2 day.
Backlight: 4 (night) 8 (day)
...

The settings you posted work very well for me. Except that I have to back off the Backlight to 3 instead of 4. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light and at 4 the whites were blinding me.

I always watch in a darkened room even during the day.
claw is offline  
post #469 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
@Fegam: Not from experience, but from what I've read, you might want to go with Xpand x103 because they'll be less expensive and they're universal(ish).

I've also read that the TDGBR750 Titaniums (which are NOT cheap) are lighter and have less crosstalk than previous Sony models.

@Everyone: BEHOLD, the HX950: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-xbr-55hx950/4505-6482_7-35431205.html
(Out of my budget range.)

--
(this space for rent)
DoctorM is offline  
post #470 of 2228 Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Member
 
Fegam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

@Fegam: Not from experience, but from what I've read, you might want to go with Xpand x103 because they'll be less expensive and they're universal(ish).
I've also read that the TDGBR750 Titaniums (which are NOT cheap) are lighter and have less crosstalk than previous Sony models.
@Everyone: BEHOLD, the HX950: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-xbr-55hx950/4505-6482_7-35431205.html
(Out of my budget range.)

thanks DoctorM i will look up the glasses on amazon. I also read the article on HX950 and it look very nice but the price seems a little to much $4,500.00 for the 55" , taking in acount that the 55 hx850 was $2,600.00 and the 55 Hx929 was $3,500.00 when they came out. Tvs in that price range are not for the average man and even will be out of range for most of the videophiles out there. I´m happy with my 55 HX850 because it gives me a extremely nice picture for a great price (i remember that the HX and NX models of 2011 and 2012 were more expensive and had not so good image compare to the 850, especially in shadow detail, blacks and color reproduction). in my country any TV cost between 35% to 50% more that the list price of the U.S. so a television like the hx950 or the sharp elite are imposible to afford, the stores don't even bring them here.
Fegam is offline  
post #471 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

The settings you posted work very well for me. Except that I have to back off the Backlight to 3 instead of 4. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light and at 4 the whites were blinding me.
I always watch in a darkened room even during the day.

Glad they work for you. I used to have the backlight at 3, like you i have sensitive eyes. But found when i upped to 4 i sometimes didn't have to bother swapping between day and night mode (my living room gets flooded with light during the day, very hard to control without making the room completely dark and gloomy.
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #472 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Newbie
 
lathropmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just had my HX850 delivered last night. Got it hooked up and watched the NFL season opener. Very nice! I know i still have a some tweaking to do for the picture quality, but did some basic settings based on the general concensus here on the forum and was pretty pleased with the results. I have to say that the sound is pretty bad, almost worse than expected, but luckily I have it hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. This TV was a replacement from Sony at a deep discount for my 55A10 that developed the light block issue after the first bulb change. I was able to get this new set delivered to my door for $830 after much communication with Sonylistens customer support team. Funny thing is that the shipping company that delivered it said they picked it up at the docks in Boston directly from China. Guess it is factory fresh. I really like the look, the stand is perfectly adequate, the off angle performance is better than expected, and the glare seems to be a non issue for me. I think Sony got it right with this one, and I am back in the Sony camp. Once I work the picture settings some more, i will post them for reference, as well as update my experience with the set. Great forum.
lathropmd is offline  
post #473 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

thanks DoctorM i will look up the glasses on amazon. I also read the article on HX950 and it look very nice but the price seems a little to much $4,500.00 for the 55" , taking in acount that the 55 hx850 was $2,600.00 and the 55 Hx929 was $3,500.00 when they came out. Tvs in that price range are not for the average man and even will be out of range for most of the videophiles out there. I´m happy with my 55 HX850 because it gives me a extremely nice picture for a great price (i remember that the HX and NX models of 2011 and 2012 were more expensive and had not so good image compare to the 850, especially in shadow detail, blacks and color reproduction). in my country any TV cost between 35% to 50% more that the list price of the U.S. so a television like the hx950 or the sharp elite are imposible to afford, the stores don't even bring them here.

The 55" HX950 is $3500 not $4500. 65" is $5500. Looks like a great tv. Hopefully comes with 3-D glasses.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #474 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathropmd View Post

Just had my HX850 delivered last night. Got it hooked up and watched the NFL season opener. Very nice! I know i still have a some tweaking to do for the picture quality, but did some basic settings based on the general concensus here on the forum and was pretty pleased with the results. I have to say that the sound is pretty bad, almost worse than expected, but luckily I have it hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. This TV was a replacement from Sony at a deep discount for my 55A10 that developed the light block issue after the first bulb change. I was able to get this new set delivered to my door for $830 after much communication with Sonylistens customer support team. Funny thing is that the shipping company that delivered it said they picked it up at the docks in Boston directly from China. Guess it is factory fresh. I really like the look, the stand is perfectly adequate, the off angle performance is better than expected, and the glare seems to be a non issue for me. I think Sony got it right with this one, and I am back in the Sony camp. Once I work the picture settings some more, i will post them for reference, as well as update my experience with the set. Great forum.

Check the serial number sticker on the back of the set--I was under the impression these were made in Mexico, but could be wrong.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #475 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why would something coming from China go to Boston to get into the US?
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #476 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A shame we can't get speakers for the HX850 like the new 4K TV has. Seems like an annoying thing to skimp on, but I guess they do that so they can upsell a soundbars.

--
(this space for rent)
DoctorM is offline  
post #477 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Member
 
kgunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the HX850 just blow everyone away when it comes to Blue Ray or is it just me??? Also, did we make the right choice with this model as oppossed to the Samsungs??
I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks..

Thanks
kgunn is offline  
post #478 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgunn View Post

Does the HX850 just blow everyone away when it comes to Blue Ray or is it just me??? Also, did we make the right choice with this model as oppossed to the Samsungs??
I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks..
Thanks

As I've said before I don't own the HX850 but I know people who do and they love it. I've seen up close and personal and it is a great set. I have owned the Samsung ES6100, EH6000, and my brother in law has the ES8000. They're not that great. PQ is very good on the ES8000 but it does have flashlighting. I did not like the ES6100 at all. Has uniformity issues as well as bad PQ. The EH models are great in terms of screen-uniformity but suffer in the PQ dept. So, yes, I'd say you made the right choice with the Sony HX850. Have you noticed any uniformity issues with your set? What picture setting do you have it on? I'm currently in the market for a new set and can't decide between the Sony HX850 or if I should wait and buy the HX950 down the road.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #479 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm still a bit on the fence myself. I'm waiting while watching the prices track down on the Sony's, and I suspect the HX929 are probably about to take a real hit.

The thing is, some reviews say the HX850 is either nearly identical to the 929 or possibly better (lacking the blooming). And yet the HX950 blurb on Cnet makes the 929 sound far and away better than the HX850.

For my own eyes, with both side by side (in bright mode unfortunately) they are pretty much indistinguishable. Is there a real difference when properly tweaked or is it really still better to save the money and get the 850?

--
(this space for rent)
DoctorM is offline  
post #480 of 2228 Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I'm still a bit on the fence myself. I'm waiting while watching the prices track down on the Sony's, and I suspect the HX929 are probably about to take a real hit.
The thing is, some reviews say the HX850 is either nearly identical to the 929 or possibly better (lacking the blooming). And yet the HX950 blurb on Cnet makes the 929 sound far and away better than the HX850.
For my own eyes, with both side by side (in bright mode unfortunately) they are pretty much indistinguishable. Is there a real difference when properly tweaked or is it really still better to save the money and get the 850?

So, you mean the 850 and 929 look almost identical side by side? The 929 has it's flaws, (DSE, Blooming, and discolored crease on the left side of screen). From what I've gathered on AVS the only flaws to the HX850, which are minor, are a slight blue-tinge, very minor flashlighting, and blooming.
Nobody knows anything concrete about the HX950 other than it's $1500 more than the HX850 and has more dimming zones than the 929. I'm sure the HX929 is on its way out. I can't imagine anyone with $3000 wanting to buy the HX929 when the 950 is only $500 more. I wouldn't. I don't put much stock in Cnet but they do seem to put more effort in their high-end tv reviews so I'm personally going to wait and see what they say about the HX950 before buying.
Justin Sullins is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off