Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2228 Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

I appreciate your opinion of 3D on Sony TV's.

The 3D on the GT50 is outstanding, hard to pass out.

Still considering on going with a larger size GT50 since I do a variety of viewing styles in general.

If you really want 3D, definitely go Panasonic. They make awesome plasmas and their 2012 models look awesome. I too was initially shopping for a 3D tv back in feb and i can say 3D is really lackluster on all TVs, even panasonic/samsung/LG/sony. I used my 3D like 5 times, no more than 20 minutes each time before i had a huge headache. I guess my big bulky active glasses didn't help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2228 Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregck View Post

If you really want 3D, definitely go Panasonic. They make awesome plasmas and their 2012 models look awesome. I too was initially shopping for a 3D tv back in feb and i can say 3D is really lackluster on all TVs, even panasonic/samsung/LG/sony. I used my 3D like 5 times, no more than 20 minutes each time before i had a huge headache. I guess my big bulky active glasses didn't help here.

3D is something that I have grown to love.

I had a Samsung 750LCD that could do 3D, barely. And was always turned off by it, pretty much due to the quality and weight of the glasses.

Couple weeks ago I bought a 50" GT50, glasses weigh less than 1oz, and the 3D is incredible. Too the point where I watched a movie that hadn't impressed me in regular HD (Transformers Dark of the Moon), and than rewatched it in 3D on the GT50 and my jaw was literally to the floor the entire movie.

After thinking about this for awhile, right now I am leaning towards getting a larger GT50 (the 55") and getting a larger monitor for my computer (having the best of both worlds).
post #33 of 2228 Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yep just as i assumed. Active glasses sure are a pain, i'll have to get the new titanium glasses by Sony i spose'.
post #34 of 2228 Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 17
I got one of these bad boys to upgrade from an EX720 and it is much much better. Contrast is much better, 3D has none of the problems the EX720 had, plus the 3D picture looks normal instead of like you were looking thru sunglasses. Flashlighting is an issue, if you turn off dynamic LED. The spotlights/clouding on black are worse than my EX720. I leave Dynamic LED on and it's not a problem. I usually hate things that auto-adjust but this seems to change imperceptibly for me (so far).

XReality Pro does a sweet job with Cable HD. I am wondering if I should use it for gaming, or if it causes too much lag. Overall, the TV seems to have an excellent processor (much faster than the EX720).

Overall I am very happy. This is the kind of badass TV I expect from Sony.
post #35 of 2228 Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a positive review of the HX850 (euro version 853)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-kdl-55hx853

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #36 of 2228 Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

And another one:

http://readtruereview.com/sony-55hx853-review

great quote here:
"....This was even though black levels were the deepest of any of the other edge LED TVs in the multi-screen demo room, and despite the fact that the bright parts of the image still looked punchy and sharp. This ability to deliver a vibrant image while still producing a convincing black is a real improvement over many of last year’s Sony edge LED TVs."

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #37 of 2228 Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

cnet is so slow, honestly their reviews are 2 minutes long and include no more than 3 paragraphs. herp derp they need to review this set already!
post #38 of 2228 Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 AM

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic...p=37847#p37847

Me ranting about the logo on the sony forum.

They said my comment will be taken for further analisys.

If you like to complain about something else.

Please do so.

I personally think, besides the 920 screen and processing.
Many things were cut off!

Bring the freaking Sony illuminated logo back, will ya, Sony?
post #39 of 2228 Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic...p=37847#p37847

Me ranting about the logo on the sony forum.

They said my comment will be taken for further analisys.

If you like to complain about something else.

Please do so.

I personally think, besides the 920 screen and processing.
Many things were cut off!

Bring the freaking Sony illuminated logo back, will ya, Sony?

Sorry something of an ill informed rant on your part there.

The illuminating logo being gone....really the end of the world? It adds nothing to the picture quality at all, if anything it adds a distraction as most videophiles hate lights and just want to see the screen, in fact most cover lights with black tape that is how strongly they feel about it.

As for the tv being thicker, have you not been reading anything that Sony has been saying? Again how much does a Cm make really? Its not as if it makes it a fat tv. They actually said they did it to help with uniformity and banding.

Aaron
post #40 of 2228 Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

I have the illuminating logo on my 55820 and I do turn it off. But I still want it. When my 55850 arrives on Monday I'll miss it and the better remote
(Which I'm Keeping, sorry Sony)
I'm sorry Sony I do like the styling of my 820 much better then the 850. Really the logo. That was part of the TV I left on when guests came, so I could show off the beautiful styling of this set. And don't get me started on the remote. Really? The top of the line sets always had a nicer remote. The nerve of Sony for giving customers there top of the line set, with a remote worse then last years set. And the new model costs more.
If I wanted a suck ass remote from a bottom of the line set, thats what I would have gotten.
The 850 should have been identical to the 820 with the improved features and maybe the chrome strip. I could give a **** about the component inputs and outputs. Who uses that now a days.
I'm sure Monday though when the new set comes,I'll love it. It better have a improved picture and no flash-lighting or clouding and creases.Well any whey, I'll sure miss the old one.
Your fired.

Is it a swap? if so, just keep the remote. as far as the 850, you won't be dissapointed, almost every aspect of image quality has gone up.
post #41 of 2228 Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes its a swap.

If they want a remote back, you can say you lost it or just send them the 850 remote. no big deal.

Sony is great and i love my TV but that **** is just unacceptable.
post #42 of 2228 Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Sorry something of an ill informed rant on your part there.

The illuminating logo being gone....really the end of the world? It adds nothing to the picture quality at all, if anything it adds a distraction as most videophiles hate lights and just want to see the screen, in fact most cover lights with black tape that is how strongly they feel about it.

As for the tv being thicker, have you not been reading anything that Sony has been saying? Again how much does a Cm make really? Its not as if it makes it a fat tv. They actually said they did it to help with uniformity and banding.

Aaron

And you buy that? "we made the tv a cm thicker to help uniformity and banding..."

Seriously?

When all of the new tvs are being way slickers, not only on the side, but up, and to the sides?...

I really DOUBT someone would put a TAPE over the Sony illuminated logo, the maximum someone would do would be to turn it off, and seriously, it doesn't even distracts anyone. C'mon??? Even turned off, it's still better than the freaking brushed metal thing. That's old. Even my Linksys modem has a illuminated logo, why Sony does have to go back in time? If you think about it, what a better way to show that the tv is on than the freaking name of it? It's Genius, and some dummies would take it out for cost cutting... The tv is a luxurious model, for Christ sake...
post #43 of 2228 Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And you buy that? "we made the tv a cm thicker to help uniformity and banding..."

Seriously?

When all of the new tvs are being way slickers, not only on the side, but up, and to the sides?...

I really DOUBT someone would put a TAPE over the Sony illuminated logo, the maximum someone would do would be to turn it off, and seriously, it doesn't even distracts anyone. C'mon??? Even turned off, it's still better than the freaking brushed metal thing. That's old. Even my Linksys modem has a illuminated logo, why Sony does have to go back in time? If you think about it, what a better way to show that the tv is on than the freaking name of it? It's Genius, and some dummies would take it out for cost cutting... The tv is a luxurious model, for Christ sake...

I buy it because i understand the reasoning behind it, and why the likes of Samsung and LG are causing issues because of their super slim bezels and thin tvs. Its fact that making the tvs slimmer and moving the lighting source closer to the lcd screen affects uniformity and has an negative effect on banding, clouding etc.

You clearly are more concerned by the aesthetics of a tv regardless of the impact it has on picture quality. Maybe a Samsung would be better suited to your needs with its glowing badge (ES8000),slim bezel and depth.

Yes the Sony logo could be turned off, but it has another led light and some would choose to black this out for reasons i have mentioned above.

Aaron
post #44 of 2228 Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Seriously?

I think you are going a little crazy for a such a so-so thing to begin with. Sony is still the king when it comes to picture quality (in it's class) and that's all that matters to me. show me a edge lit led screen for 1800-2100 that has deep blacks right out of the box (besides the 850). I don't think you can.
post #45 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Are you being serious about the glowy logo and the 1 cm?!? Are you a troll or a woman?!? Because only a woman would care about useless aesthetics, and only a troll could make such an absurd argument. Please go away and never return.

Can we get back to discussing important matters now, IE calibration and such?
post #46 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
guess what part of the survey he concentrated on...Q.Whats more important to you,picture quality with good contrast,better blacks,bright clean whites & no h/v banding. OR a light up logo?

A. I want my logo back...holy sxxt,is this whats wrong with some of todays a/v consumers??

This has nothing to do with cussing the HX820,because i own 1 & adore the sxxt outta it.
Just a little lesson on tv morality,i think there is such a thihg now if op's are putting logos before P-Q! Anyway i had a light up logo on my W4500,loved the looks but i love P-Q more,a lot more.

When i changed the W4500 for a W5500,the contrast (& gen P-Q ) was so much better i didn't even notice it had no light up logo,until i checked the general settings about 2 weeks later!
yes,it looks awesome,but only for giving the screen a floating design look at night.But it was better to turn it off as it can be distracting ...funny thing though it helps perceive 3D depth though.

its really unbelievable that anyone with half a braincell would kick up a stink over no light up logo,while gaining P-Q wise...the mind boggles,it really does,man...

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #47 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Then you are about to be sorely disappointed...ther eis flashlighting and minimal banding on these sets,....at least from what I have seen at the Best Buy here in Augusta,Maine.It's funny how much whining I see regarding this illuminated logo....who gives a s**t? Use it or do not use it, but quit yer b--tching....look slike the picture quality is slightly improved but not a monumental difference over the nx or hx series of 2011.
post #48 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM

You want a light up logo get a Samsung 7500 or 8000, PQ is great and pricing point is same. And you can illuminate the logo.
post #49 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgsxr1000 View Post

Then you are about to be sorely disappointed...ther eis flashlighting and minimal banding on these sets,....at least from what I have seen at the Best Buy here in Augusta,Maine.It's funny how much whining I see regarding this illuminated logo....who gives a s**t? Use it or do not use it, but quit yer b--tching....look slike the picture quality is slightly improved but not a monumental difference over the nx or hx series of 2011.

did you actually take the minute or so to read my post? Why am i going to be sorely disappointed? are you pointing to my post?? AND it seems this hx853 really is something special, not according to a 5min bestbuy quick look, but multiple legitimate reviews. Ive recently bought a 46hx820 & i reckon its a great tv & i love it,but this hx850 gets more popular by the minute. At least i have the common sense to acknowledge & respect a good tv & give credit where its due. It certainly looks like real credit is due here.

post #50 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanew View Post

You want a light up logo get a Samsung 7500 or 8000, PQ is great and pricing point is same. And you can illuminate the logo.

What the hell is so important about illuminating sony logos on these sony tv threads?Surely the speak should be about actual picture quality & value,what the hell...

post #51 of 2228 Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted View Post

What the hell is so important about illuminating sony logos on these sony tv threads?Surely the speak should be about actual picture quality & value,what the hell...

Hahah, I don't know, kind of funny. I actually turn mine off. But the 850 is a nice tv.
post #52 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanew View Post

Hahah, I don't know, kind of funny. I actually turn mine off. But the 850 is a nice tv.

Yeah i know,right?... Seriously,this HX850/3 is getting really interesting.Congrats to any new owners,i was a bit (ahem)suspicious after sonys up & down 2011. But im really enjoying the hx820...a lot. Sony you've earned my admiration back.(even though ive had no trouble,yet,from any sony tv) Keep it up & lower the price on the HX750,different ballpark apparently.

post #53 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM

post #54 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM

So far I am still loving this TV, but there is indeed flashlighting and some banding. If you leave dynamic LED on, then the flashlighting is minimal and hidden. But if you turn it off, you will see what I mean. The banding is also very minor and since the screen is much brighter (than my EX720), you can't really see it.

Lately I have been playing video games with the XReality and Motionflow ON, and it's pretty cool. I don't detect much input lag, and the picture is phenomenal. Normally I do not like post-processing, but the Xreality adds a nice punch to the picture, and the 940hz motionflow almost looks like a plasma or my old CRT Sony HDTV.

Glowing Sony Logo... Jesus H Christ...
post #55 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well my 55HX850 came. All set-up. Who cares about the lighted logo. Nice set. Brighter than the 820. Stand is better too. No wobbiles. Kept the remote. They didn't care.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks great.

I am not Jealous at all....honest.

Aaron
post #56 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

im playing uncharted 3 on my 850 too!
post #57 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Well my 55HX850 came. All set-up. Who cares about the lighted logo. Nice set. Brighter than the 820. Stand is better too. No wobbiles. Kept the remote. They didn't care.

TV looks nice, I have the uk version on preorder hopefully not too many days to wait. as a matter of interest how bad is the banding I assume very minimal ? so far reviews have been glowing which is a nice change from last years debacle :-)
post #58 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Well the new set came today. I'll live with-out the logo. Also the camera and sensor in front witch controlled I don't know what,has been deleted. I turned that crap off any whey.But it doesn't matter too me. No kids for that. The stand is not as nice of a finish. Its plastic now vs metal on the 820. But its more sturdy now. No wobbles. I did keep the 820 stand if I feel like switching. Got a extra from Sony. And the remote for the 850 is cheaper, but has a button for the Sony Entertainment Network. On the 820 remote there is no way of getting to that app. Buts it lights up and control the sat and all other components.

How are the viewing angles on the 850? What's your impression of the PQ so far?
post #59 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM

I have one being delivered this Friday. Does anyone have calibration settings yet? Though I am paying to have I done, it would be nice to have an initial set to begin with until he gets here in a week or two.

Sincerely,

Doc
post #60 of 2228 Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryburton View Post

Sony 46hx853 review...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-k...x853_TV_review

Great an amazing review, Cant wait to order mine. Still dont have them at BEst Buy so will have to go to Sony store.

Hope more reviews mirror these results.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page