Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2227 Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
When I was looking at the HX850 and 929, the Magnolia rep had a remote in his pocket. When I asked, he popped it out, showed me the other modes (which of course looked better).

He set it back to vivid afterwards. It is their policy, and I don't blame them. But seriously, if you're stupid enough to buy a TV based on how vivid mode looks, you have no business in the Magnolia room.

--
(this space for rent)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2227 Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmroyalmachine View Post

my hx850 is 4months old and bleeding light..strangely changing hdmi ports made it worse to the point where its bleeding in the center and all 4 corners...would this warrant an exchange from sony?

It might warrant an exchange but Sony will most likely want to send out a technician first to check it out to see if it can be repaired. Contact the Sony Team. I usually contact them through Facebook, Sarah Kepler.
post #723 of 2227 Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
I've recently purchased an 55" hx850 and was wondering if someone might be able to help me with configuring the optical audio out. I have all of my sources routed through my Denon 2112ci AV receiver and the AV HDMI out plugged into the the HDMI 1 port on the hx850. I then have the optical out from the hx850 plugged into the optical in on the Denon. I changed the settings on the Denon to use the optical in for audio but this only works when the TV is generating the audio, so for example when I'm running the Netflix app I hear the correct audio on the AV receiver. When I'm using the TV to watch what is coming in through the HDMI port the audio is not routed back out through the optical out. Is there a way to configure it so the TV's optical out will play transmit whatever audio is coming in on the HDMI port ?

Thank You,
-tektite
post #724 of 2227 Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tektite View Post

I've recently purchased an 55" hx850 and was wondering if someone might be able to help me with configuring the optical audio out. I have all of my sources routed through my Denon 2112ci AV receiver and the AV HDMI out plugged into the the HDMI 1 port on the hx850. I then have the optical out from the hx850 plugged into the optical in on the Denon. I changed the settings on the Denon to use the optical in for audio but this only works when the TV is generating the audio, so for example when I'm running the Netflix app I hear the correct audio on the AV receiver. When I'm using the TV to watch what is coming in through the HDMI port the audio is not routed back out through the optical out. Is there a way to configure it so the TV's optical out will play transmit whatever audio is coming in on the HDMI port ?
Thank You,
-tektite

If all your hdmi sources are going through your receiver anyways, why do you need to route back the sound from the TV to the receiver? Why not play it directly off the receiver?

The optical out has worked for me only when the TV generates the sounds.
post #725 of 2227 Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Did anyone figure out a solution to the random reboot problem?
post #726 of 2227 Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

I really need a help here. Does this model have color managent system control or we have to adjust them in service menu?
Great !! I'm completely ignored. I'm not trying to be an ******* here but many Hx850 owner here but noone can answer such a easy question? Simply Yes or No will do
Thanks for such a helpful topic. smile.gif
post #727 of 2227 Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
It has a 2 point colour management system but it isn't really a problem as in cinema mode it is pretty accurate out of the box, so only needs a little tweaking.

Aaron
post #728 of 2227 Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM

I have recently changed to a hard wired connection and there is a noticeable difference in Picture quality and no more buffering.

I have set all input (including streaming from the TV) to the same and it seems to work just fine. The picture quality on a Blu Ray though is still the best. Must be the resolution or something, not sure, but blu rays just look better than streaming.

just wish i could get dolby digtial out of the TV. my receiver only picks up dolby pro logic out of the tv.
post #729 of 2227 Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^Sonys save settings separately for each input. If you reduce the backlight setting on one input to reduce flashlighting then switch to another input the backlight setting may not be the same.
Sony will either have you send them pictures or have a tech evaluate your set to see if it is outside what they consider "normal".

they did ask for pictures, i sent pictures but couldn't really capture the beam of light that shoots across the middle of the screen but i did send a pic of my sony blu ray home screen showing all 4 corners bleeding badly but was told "couldn't see anything wrong with it" lol. im going to try again with a different camera but was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain movie that show bleeding more? i tried the avengers. Oh and i did send a video which did show the light bar but again was told "it has to be a picture" and "i cant guarantee i tech will be able to come check it" really sony? i did point out that my tv is only 4 months old.
post #730 of 2227 Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

Great !! I'm completely ignored. I'm not trying to be an ******* here but many Hx850 owner here but noone can answer such a easy question? Simply Yes or No will do
Thanks for such a helpful topic. smile.gif

Maybe no one really has a definite yes or no answer to give you because they don't know themselves and it's not because you're being ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmroyalmachine View Post

they did ask for pictures, i sent pictures but couldn't really capture the beam of light that shoots across the middle of the screen but i did send a pic of my sony blu ray home screen showing all 4 corners bleeding badly but was told "couldn't see anything wrong with it" lol. im going to try again with a different camera but was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain movie that show bleeding more? i tried the avengers. Oh and i did send a video which did show the light bar but again was told "it has to be a picture" and "i cant guarantee i tech will be able to come check it" really sony? i did point out that my tv is only 4 months old.

You can try taking a picture of a show in SD mode, with the black bars down the sides. That's how I showed my older Sony with the green tint problem.
post #731 of 2227 Old 10-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Did anyone figure out a solution to the random reboot problem?

I was wondering the same thing. I got pretty involved with the discussions on this topic a few months ago, but have since dropped it for a while. I have a HX820, and the random restart problem is definitely affects at least a few of the similar models.

If you want more info on the subject you might want to find my posts on the HX820 thread; between my posts and those by a few other people there, I think it's a more comprehensive discussion on the symptoms and possible root causes of the issue than on this 850 thread.

I know I have the latest firmware (at least as of 4 or 5 weeks ago), and still see the random restarts occasionally, although it does seem like it's not quite as often as before. More recently I only see it happen maybe once every 3 - 4 weeks max, whereas last fall it was at least once a week, sometimes once or twice a day. (Almost always within the first 2-3 minutes after turning on the TV.)

I'd like to see this discussion pick back up again, and eventually resolved, especially since it seems like it's still affecting the newer models. Whether the fix is new firmware, or replacing a piece of hardware on the TV, would be nice to know.
post #732 of 2227 Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM

IMG_0017.JPG 2043k .JPG file

can you really call that normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.JPG (2.00 MB, 112 views)
post #733 of 2227 Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 AM

Just joined, after reading so much excellent info and helpful advice. Thanks to all.

I have an unusual question (I'll explain why I'm asking after I read what people say): Suppose you place your 850 into standby mode using the remote. Then you wait a while and turn it back on. If the wait is only short, when it comes back from standby you can immediately change channels, select other inputs, and generally have full control back again. But if you wait for a while before turning it back on, mine acts more like it was switched off at the wall (the local Sony repairer says that Sony calls this 'deep standby'). The Sony logo is displayed (I have it enabled) then the picture, but the set does not accept numeric keys for channel changes, or allow other inputs to be selected, etc. until it has finished rebooting (about a minute maybe).

Assuming other 850s behave like mine (which may not be true), my question is: how long do you have to wait with your 850 before this 'deep standby' mode kicks in? You can tell when it happens because you can hear the click of a relay on the power board towards the right of the screen as you face it. (The power board and relay were pointed out to me by the local repairer.)

I'd appreciate a few replies, to get an idea of the average time and how much it varies from set to set. Many thanks.
post #734 of 2227 Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Curious if anyone has this finding on their TV:

The bottom of the screen has about 1/2" inch slight light leak across the whole width of the screen. It's 100% uniform.
Where the light leak ends a sort of a darker region begins for another 1/2" inch. Past that the screen is normal.

Pretty sure I noticed this in the store model as well, but barely...maybe because of the lighting.

Does anyone else's TV exhibit this increase of brightness followed by a darker shadow effect across the bottom edge of the screen?

PS. I do have the backlight set to standard
post #735 of 2227 Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamade View Post

Curious if anyone has this finding on their TV:
The bottom of the screen has about 1/2" inch slight light leak across the whole width of the screen. It's 100% uniform.
Where the light leak ends a sort of a darker region begins for another 1/2" inch. Past that the screen is normal.
Pretty sure I noticed this in the store model as well, but barely...maybe because of the lighting.
Does anyone else's TV exhibit this increase of brightness followed by a darker shadow effect across the bottom edge of the screen?
PS. I do have the backlight set to standard

Do you have the local dimming on or off? Do you still see the light streak when you move around or is it just in front of the tv?
post #736 of 2227 Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Can you upload a picture so that we can see what the issue is?
post #737 of 2227 Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
I've been thinking about getting the 55HX850 if I can sell my refurbished 46XBR5, which includes a 2-year Sony warranty. My main motive is the increased screen size, but I don't want to sacrifice PQ, which IMO is stellar on the CCFL-lit XBR5.

Now it looks like I can get an open box 55HX729 at a local big-box store for $1000, which seems like an excellent value.

Does anyone know what significant differences there are between the HX729 and the HX850 other than the following:

1) Previous year's model (2011 vs. 2012)

2) Motionflow XR 480 vs. XR 960

3) Panel not "OptiContrast" (does this mean it is an entirely different panel or just that the finish is somewhat different?)

4) No Gorilla Glass

5) Monolithic styling is different, including the style of the swivel stand

Unless the panels are substantially different, I assume that the 2D PQ should be roughly the same given that both have the X-Reality Pro processor (I have no interest in 3D).
post #738 of 2227 Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 AM

I have the exact same problem as illidan (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407673/official-sony-hx850-owners-thread-46hx850-55hx850/180...... search for "purple" word) at the same place, with the same size, on the lcd panel: a purple rectangle when the tv is in 3d mode.

Mine is a replacement of an 2009 KDL52XBR9. I think they gave me a refurbished tv!! I'll call again the sony service.

Is there some else with that problem?

Thanks
post #739 of 2227 Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 AM

I have exactly the same problem at the same place, with the same size, on the lcd panel: a purple rectangle when the tv is in 3d mode.

Mine is a replacement of an 2009 KDL52XBR9. I think they gave me a refurbished tv!! I'll call again the sony service.

Is there some else with that problem?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by illidan View Post

Hello to all HX850 owners.
I ordered the TV on May 9th and received it on May 18th. Going from 32" LG to the new TV was HUGH difference. Everything was great at first. No issues that were previously mentioned in this thread. Used the TV regularly since i received it. At beginning of June decided to order couple of pair of 3D glasses to view few movies and try simulated 3D. Then the problem started. A purple rectangle appeared on TV when i watched any type of 3D content. I tried 3D broadcast (DirecTV), I tried a 3D movies (PS3) and even tried simulated 3D and each time the rectangle would appear. Soon as i turn 3D off everything is fine. Tested the issue over and over again for couple of days. Even searched the internet to see if anyone else had the same issue but did not find anything. Tried resetting the TV and same thing.
Finally called Sony support and after few days of sending pictures and so fourth they told me they will send a refurbish model to replace the TV. I said HELL NO. I want a new TV. After sending the purchase receipt they agreed to send a new TV within 4 to 6 weeks as a exchange. Below are the pictures i sent to Sony.
post #740 of 2227 Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM

I just purchased the 46 HX850 and am seeking advice for sports (football) settings. Thanks..........
post #741 of 2227 Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Like everyone here, I was in the market to replace my 4 year old Samsung LN52A650 LCD, which has been an excellent TV. In December 2010, I purchased a 46" for my bedroom, a LN46C650. When I set it up and did some basic calibration, it was clear that the newer Samsung was better than my 52" as one my have thought. So, fast forward to two months ago, I set out to upgrade my 52". I did all the research, looked at all the reviews, and was surprised at the disparity of reviews across all the manufactures (LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and even Sony), even with all the advanced models, which confused my research. So shorted the story, I settled on a 55HX850 and had it delivered last Saturday. Compared to my 52", the picture was great, but was missing something. I spent the next day, doing some basic, and then some extensive calibraton, using my cal DVD and some guidance from a few review sites.. But no matter what I did, it seemed like it wasn't as vibrant and clear as my 2 year old pure 46" Samsung LCD. So, I put my 46" Samsung on the floor, in front of my new Sony and put an extra HDMI cable from my Oppo 93 and plugged it into the HDMI 2 and played a Blu-Ray, Pirates of the Caribbean. When I got to a close up of Johnny Depp, you could see the pores of his skin with the Samsung. But on the HX850, you couldn't see the pore at all. Further, the whites and colors of both TVs were remarkably different. The Samsung was clear, white and crisp, where the Sony looked out of focus (comparibly).

I paused that scene, and I tweaked every possible settin on that Sony to match that of the Samsung and it couldn't come close. That Samsung cost me $900, in December 2010, from Vanns. This on was $2000.

I absolutely love the fit and finish of the Sony, how thin it is, the gorilla glass. The Sony remote is a joke, but that didn't matter as I use an MX-980.

First question to anyone on this post.... Is there something I'm missing before I return this? I don't think there is and I can not beleive a tv like this 2 years newer could be so inferior to a 2 year old Samsung LCD, considering the price, all the hype and reviews I've seen. I suppose comparing it to other TVs in the store and looking at the reviews AND not having another TV to compare it to, one would think this is a great set.

I'm almost to the conclusion that the latest round of TVs has focused to much on the SmartTV crap and not the quality of the picture. I was really looking for a similar advancement as I saw from my 52" to the 46"....

Thanks in advance for thoughts...

My gear, if anyone interested...

OPPO 93
Better cables 5.1 from OPPO to Ref50
B&K Ref 50 (being replaced by an Integra 80.3) next week
Diamondback XLR from Ref50 to Amps
Krell KAV-3250 driving front stage Dynaudio Focus 220, 200c
Parasound A23 driving rear Focus 140s
Klipsch RSW-10 (older audiphile sub)
LN52A650 Samsung LCD (re-replacing a 55HX850)
post #742 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Supposed to be picking mine up this weekend but may nab it tomorrow because of the free soundbar @BB.

While I was there I noticed the 929 is on sale for $2300. Is there any differences that should make me consider picking the 929 up for $300 more? The wife is going to have my head if I change my mind and up the budget again lol
post #743 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM

double post
post #744 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM

I posted before about the uniform horizontal "light leak" on the top and bottom edge. Here are the images.
Is this normal? I have the Dynamic LED set to standard...actually settings have no effect on this.

post #745 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Have you set it to Full Pixel mode? Did you try reproducing on 1080p content like blu-ray or Xbox? Did you try the Normal mode instead of Full Pixel for cable content?

BTW how thick is this leak? Is it as thick as the orange bar? I am not able to see it clearly...
post #746 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes I tried -1, normal and full pixel. Haven't tried blu-ray, but it's the same over HDMI (apple TV, consoles), antenna or built in Netflix/Amazon.

I know it's not very easy to see in the pics...and in general it's not very obvious. It's not as big as the red outline...it's maybe about 1/2 inch.

It just looks so uniform that it feels more like a feature of the Sony edge lighting system than a defect.

Other than that I love this TV (came from a Panasonic 60" GT50)...I bought it from Amazon Deals in "very good" condition for 1750$ and I am past the 30 day return window.
post #747 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Have you tried going to a store and see if you can spot this on the display models?

I have stopped looking for defects on my TV because there are plenty of these not very obvious faults that will bother you once you find them smile.gif
Srujan Sujju likes this.
post #748 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Yeah I looked at a display model at Fry's although the lighting there and signal was crap. Pretty sure I saw the same thing, but more subtle.
Now to do something about my OCD....
post #749 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamade View Post

Yes I tried -1, normal and full pixel. Haven't tried blu-ray, but it's the same over HDMI (apple TV, consoles), antenna or built in Netflix/Amazon.
I know it's not very easy to see in the pics...and in general it's not very obvious. It's not as big as the red outline...it's maybe about 1/2 inch.
It just looks so uniform that it feels more like a feature of the Sony edge lighting system than a defect.
Other than that I love this TV (came from a Panasonic 60" GT50)...I bought it from Amazon Deals in "very good" condition for 1750$ and I am past the 30 day return window.

Have you verified whether Sony will honor their 12-month warranty on your set? I've been wondering whether any of those "Amazon Warehouse" deals would qualify despite Amazon's disclaimer that the manufacturer's warranty may not apply; I suspect it varies from case to case depending on the set's history.

How satisfied were you with the overall condition of the set otherwise? Do you know whether you would have been able to return it free of charge within that 30-day window if you had decided not to keep it?
post #750 of 2227 Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Yes, you are able to return it within 30 days no problem. Done it before with their used stuff. I didn't return this because I didn't notice it within 30 days...and I doubt I would have anyway since I am happy
with the TV. However, when I bought mine they were going for 2299$ on Amazon, now that the price is 1999$ I would have probably gone new. They didn't lower the price for the used stuff.
Amazon does offer you an aftermarket warranty for used stuff only at the time of checkout, but I didn't get it.

As far as warranty...I might give Sony a call, they do mention that they need the original receipt on their web site...but who knows.

Considering the price I paid, I might look into selling it somewhere and get an HX950 from Amazon Warehouse Deals in the future...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page