Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2227 Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage33 View Post

I had this happen once too. I had to hit refresh internet apps or something like that and it redownloaded them. Hopefully they can work all of this out with firmware updates.

That's the thing Gage33, even when I refresh Internet Apps nothing changes. Sony suggested two things:

1. Reset the settings for the entire TV (not even sure where/how to do that). Would really rather not if possible now that I have everything dialed-in. But if I have to ...

2. Remove then re-register the TV with my Sony Essentials account but I can't because I can't generate a new activation code because the Sony Essentials TV menu is missing. I'm chasing my tail.

I have the latest firmware update installed so that's not it. Very frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2227 Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM

I currently am an unhappy owner of a Sony SXRD 60 inch TV bought 5 years ago for $1700 and is now garbage due to a major defect in the optical block making the entire screen yellow. Sony is offering me the 55HX850 for $1060 plus tax as a gesture of good will. My major concern here is seeing these issues with the reboots. It just worries me and makes me wonder if i should just take my money elsewhere. I am closely looking at the 60" Vizio at Walmart that has good ratings and is cheaper than what Sony is offering for their 55. I get that this TV is light years ahead of the Vizio with features, but who cares if it starts randomly rebooting and Sony does not appear to want to resolve it from what I can tell.

Can anyone give me some advise? I really like this TV, but I am a bit gun shy with Sony.

Thanks!
post #1083 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSMAN View Post

I currently am an unhappy owner of a Sony SXRD 60 inch TV bought 5 years ago for $1700 and is now garbage due to a major defect in the optical block making the entire screen yellow. Sony is offering me the 55HX850 for $1060 plus tax as a gesture of good will. My major concern here is seeing these issues with the reboots. It just worries me and makes me wonder if i should just take my money elsewhere. I am closely looking at the 60" Vizio at Walmart that has good ratings and is cheaper than what Sony is offering for their 55. I get that this TV is light years ahead of the Vizio with features, but who cares if it starts randomly rebooting and Sony does not appear to want to resolve it from what I can tell.
Can anyone give me some advise? I really like this TV, but I am a bit gun shy with Sony.
Thanks!

I'm holding off on buying one because of this very issue.

Stuff like rebooting should be zero tolerance for the price you pay

Maybe the 2013 panasonic led tvs will offer more advanced local dimming than their 2012 lineup.

I'm a bit stressed on what to do.

Even if it rebooted once a month.......it would get on my nerves.

I also don't think sony can release a firmware fix since the 850 has been out a long time already with no mention from sony about the problem.
post #1084 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 AM

Manufacturers include these features because they make great marketing buzzwords and help make the picture look good on the floor of a showroom. Don't expect them to make the picture more accurate.luojie
post #1085 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

Manufacturers include these features because they make great marketing buzzwords and help make the picture look good on the floor of a showroom. Don't expect them to make the picture more accurate.

And who are you responding to?
post #1086 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

Maybe the 2013 panasonic led tvs will offer more advanced local dimming than their 2012 lineup.
I also don't think sony can release a firmware fix since the 850 has been out a long time already with no mention from sony about the problem.
first, it is only a few who have issues. trsman, if sony will throw in a 5 year extended warranty I would jump on it. (negotiate it in)

my HT
post #1087 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
@Danediz or anyone else who has been on the fence waiting for a price break on the 55HX850:

Crutchfield.com currently has one set in their "scratch and dent" section for $1599 shipped. (You must call them at 1.888.955.6000 to order.)

I am told it is a customer return with no screen anomalies, only minor cosmetic blemishes. Happy Holidays!
post #1088 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

first, it is only a few who have issues. trsman, if sony will throw in a 5 year extended warranty I would jump on it. (negotiate it in)

They won't budge on the warranty. I was under the impression from reading through the forums it was more than a few people having random reboot issues.
post #1089 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

I went through the same process with my 55" Sony SXRD with yellow screen. When they offered the HX850 at that price I jumped on it. The way I looked at it, the old SXRD had gotten to the point where the PQ is unacceptable. So I had to get a new TV anyway. The question I had to ask was, would I get another TV with equal or better PQ at the price Sony was offering for the HX850. My answer was no, so I took the offer.

Yes, there is this issue with random reboots. I have heard about similar issues on other Sony models also. My HX850 did the reboot about 3 times in the nearly six months I have owned it. It is not a complete reboot like it does when you turn the TV on. The screen goes black, it puts up the Sony logo and within a second or two it is back showing the picture. It doesn't bother me much. Other may disagree on this.smile.gif
post #1090 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM

besides the tilt on this stand (the flush one) is there a reason it was discontinued?

Sony SU-B463S Stand for 46" HX850 Internet TV http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-TV-Stand-for-KDL-46HX850-TV/en/p/SUB463S

the tilt in all honesty does not bother me. I think this modern stand is sickkkkkkk. just was curious if it ended up being bad for the tv and that is why it was discontinued. however i heard over in europe this is the stand that still comes with the tv.
post #1091 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

I do not have a rebooting issue on my 55HX850 and I've had it for almost a year now. I wouldn't hold off buying it just because some people are having this issue.
post #1092 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 PM

I wonder if turning off the wifi on the tv would prevent the reboots?

I wish there was a full list of the updates for this tv I wonder if sony ever tried to patch it but failed?
post #1093 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

I do not have a rebooting issue on my 55HX850 and I've had it for almost a year now. I wouldn't hold off buying it just because some people are having this issue.

I ordered the 55HX850 today and just got finished scraping off the serial # off the back of the SXRD to send in. I will be glad to be rid of this darn TV and have a good picture back.

Speaking about picture, I know there are a lot of posts on here about the right setting for optimal picture. Is there one set of settings that most people agree on that I can use as a starting point? I would appreciate this very much.
post #1094 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I wonder if turning off the wifi on the tv would prevent the reboots?

Yeah, turning off WiFi or disconnect Ethernet cable solved my reboot problem. It's definitely a network issue and happens periodically at fixed intervals (at least for me). I had the HX820 originally which had this problem every 3 days. I post about my experience on the HX820 thread earlier this year. After escalating this issue with Sony tech support they finally send me a HX850 which also have this issue, now every 7 days. If you talk to them they will not acknowledge this as an issue. I don't know why some people don't seem to have this problem at all. Before someone says I had defective hardware, my HX820 had the motherboard replaced by Sony and it still has the same problem. So basically I have the same problem with 3 devices. It's either a hardware design flaw or software. I'm leaning software. It seem like it's purging internet data as part of the reboot process. Maybe it's regional.
post #1095 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM

Liked: 15
Definitely not one setting that everyone agrees on. If you look at the CNET and Home Theatre settings they are slightly different than anyone's settings on here. However they are both fairly close to each other. Supposedly they are a professionally calibrated setting. I would suggest using their settings or using a setting that someone posted on here, most on here are fairly close as well. The pro settings will be a bit dimmer but are supposed to be more accurate. An approximate average of the user settings posted here is as follows:

Cinema 1
Backlight- from 3 to 7
Picture - 90
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 2
Motionflow - Clear
Cinemotion - Auto 2

Almost everything else is off although some people have Black Corrector and Smooth Gradient on .
post #1096 of 2227 Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 PM

Hello, I just bought the hx850 and I love it! But I have one question I was hoping someone could help me with... I'm currently using an older Sony receiver for my surround sound so it does not have HDMI. So I am running the HDMI from my blu ray player to the TV and then using the optical out to run the audio to the receiver. The problem I'm having is I'm only getting a stereo signal at the receiver instead of 5.1. Is there a way to get the 5.1 to the receiver or can you not output 5.1 from the optical out? I have searched everywhere and I can't seem to find the answer. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
post #1097 of 2227 Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchanwan View Post

Hello, I just bought the hx850 and I love it! But I have one question I was hoping someone could help me with... I'm currently using an older Sony receiver for my surround sound so it does not have HDMI. So I am running the HDMI from my blu ray player to the TV and then using the optical out to run the audio to the receiver. The problem I'm having is I'm only getting a stereo signal at the receiver instead of 5.1. Is there a way to get the 5.1 to the receiver or can you not output 5.1 from the optical out? I have searched everywhere and I can't seem to find the answer. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

I believe you have go into your bluray player setting to switch the decoding mode to Bitstream instead of PCM.
post #1098 of 2227 Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchanwan View Post

Have you tried changing the HDMI audio output settings in your Bluray's audio menu? Mine is set to stereo, but I do have a multi-channel option.
post #1099 of 2227 Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 AM

For those who are using Clear Motionflow, are you noticing any soap opera effect? I thought I noticed a subtle effect at times.
post #1100 of 2227 Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-san View Post

I believe you have go into your bluray player setting to switch the decoding mode to Bitstream instead of PCM.
Thank you very much! Switching to bitstream worked!
post #1101 of 2227 Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

Definitely not one setting that everyone agrees on. If you look at the CNET and Home Theatre settings they are slightly different than anyone's settings on here. However they are both fairly close to each other. Supposedly they are a professionally calibrated setting. I would suggest using their settings or using a setting that someone posted on here, most on here are fairly close as well. The pro settings will be a bit dimmer but are supposed to be more accurate. An approximate average of the user settings posted here is as follows:
Cinema 1
Backlight- from 3 to 7
Picture - 90
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 2
Motionflow - Clear
Cinemotion - Auto 2
Almost everything else is off although some people have Black Corrector and Smooth Gradient on .

Thanks for the post.
post #1102 of 2227 Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleffelm View Post

I am considering the Sony HX 850 or a Samsung 6500 LCD, Is the extra 700 dollars in cost justified for the Sony?10.gif

Not even close!! If you can swing it, go for the Sony-hx850. As far as price justification, it's always in the eye of the beholder.
post #1103 of 2227 Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM

How is this tv for gaming compared to Samsung es7000 and 8000 models?
post #1104 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katre View Post

How is this tv for gaming compared to Samsung es7000 and 8000 models?

Not sure about the Samsung's but i find the Sony excellent for gaming.
post #1105 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Here's some pics of my setup with my new led backlighting.

Merry Christmas to all.

Aaron
post #1106 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 02:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Here's some pics of my setup with my new led backlighting.

Merry Christmas to all.
Aaron

That is sssooooo Awesome!!!! smile.gif

Kudos to You!!

I need/want that set sup! smile.gif
HaRd2BeAr likes this.
post #1107 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2845 View Post

That is sssooooo Awesome!!!! smile.gif
Kudos to You!!
I need/want that set sup! smile.gif

Thank you : )
post #1108 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Dang looks nice. Almost photoshopped its so clean. Mind sharing how u went about doing it? I might be interested in attempting.
post #1109 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I ordered the 55HX850 today and just got finished scraping off the serial # off the back of the SXRD to send in. I will be glad to be rid of this darn TV and have a good picture back.
Speaking about picture, I know there are a lot of posts on here about the right setting for optimal picture. Is there one set of settings that most people agree on that I can use as a starting point? I would appreciate this very much.
just to further note my set has not ever rebooted yet 3rd week with it so far.
it did the recent update.
on the optimal settings, try what you have first. my settings out of box were so good, don't know what to say.
if you do reset something oops, just remember you can reset it back to factor settings.
there are several scene settings try all those first.
do not when the set is first turned on it may ask you for info like is it a TV showroom or home setup.
you can still go back to it if you want.
I took about a month of watching my hx800 before I even tried any other setup. the set up I ended up with
finally had it looking so good, it was like watching 3D without glasses.
my 55hx850 is almost that good out of box.
I may adjust it but I'm going to enjoy it first.

my HT
post #1110 of 2227 Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Dang looks nice. Almost photoshopped its so clean. Mind sharing how u went about doing it? I might be interested in attempting.

Thanks, it ended up being complicated but i purchased a 5m reel of led lights that included an ir sensor and remote. I got mine from Ebay.

The lights have a sticky back and i simply stuck them around the back of the tv about an inch in on all sides.

They have lots of colour options and custom settings where you can mix colours to get the effect you want, i have stuck with white as that has the best effect on perceived contrast and black levels.

Hope this helps, i am in the Uk so not sure if they are available on ebay.com but they are worth it if you can find them. Under $30 as well.

Aaron
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page