Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2228 Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone have any advice on how best to use XReality Pro? I am a gamer and altho game mode is what I should use, I really like the added punch Xreality adds and the plasma-like smoothness Motionflow Standard adds. I still hate Cinemotion, but this TV has a damn good processor and I don't want it to go to waste. :P

Also, 3D is GREAT compared to my troubles with the EX720. No top 20% crosstalk issues with side by side content, and the screen is much brighter and clearer- no longer does it look like you are watching 3D with sunglasses on.

I don't like the flatpanels calibration setting, because I hate Warm2. That also looks like I am watching with sunglasses on. I have been using Game Original or General Standard as the scene with the following:

Backlight 5 (Eco Off)
Contrast MAX
Brightness 50
Color 52
Color Temp Neutral
Sharp 50
For standard, All AUTO, Motionflow Standard, Cinemotion OFF
For Game, all OFF

Advanced Settings, ALL OFF except Dynamic LED Standard

Picture looks damn good, very bright and clear, much better than my EX720. No DSE (dirty screen) problems like with my 720. No stutter/blur as far as I can see, and looks even better with Motionflow on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2228 Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Does anyone have any advice on how best to use XReality Pro? I am a gamer and altho game mode is what I should use, I really like the added punch Xreality adds and the plasma-like smoothness Motionflow Standard adds. I still hate Cinemotion, but this TV has a damn good processor and I don't want it to go to waste. :P

Also, 3D is GREAT compared to my troubles with the EX720. No top 20% crosstalk issues with side by side content, and the screen is much brighter and clearer- no longer does it look like you are watching 3D with sunglasses on.

I don't like the flatpanels calibration setting, because I hate Warm2. That also looks like I am watching with sunglasses on. I have been using Game Original or General Standard as the scene with the following:

Backlight 5 (Eco Off)
Contrast MAX
Brightness 50
Color 52
Color Temp Neutral
Sharp 50
For standard, All AUTO, Motionflow Standard, Cinemotion OFF
For Game, all OFF

Picture looks damn good, very bright and clear, much better than my EX720. No DSE (dirty screen) problems like with my 720. No stutter/blur as far as I can see, and looks even better with Motionflow on.

Doesn't the cinemotion setting help lessen the soa that motinflow adds?
post #93 of 2228 Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hmm my local Best Buy still says end of May for them on this set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguzzi323 View Post

I got my 55HX850 a couple weeks ago and I love it. I am replacing a Sony 46XBR4. The picture on the new tv is a lot brighter. Glad to hear all the good reviews as it was a tough decision on which tv to purchase. I went to a Best Buy store that was not Magnolia and had them order one for me and they had it in about 3 days.

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #94 of 2228 Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 AM

vince- what's soa? motionflow on this thing is ultra smooth, much better than my EX720 (which was 120hz with 240hz motionflow- that looked ******). Probably part better panel and part better processor. This is also evident in 3D.

jeff- I learned a long time ago not to trust the word of a pothead.
post #95 of 2228 Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Looking at review posted above (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1336720019) Europe models seems to come with speaker stand... Does anyone know if it also comes with standart stand?
post #96 of 2228 Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 AM

European models only come with the speakerstand. It seems the USA stand isn't even available in Europe at all.
post #97 of 2228 Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:

vince- what's soa? motionflow on this thing is ultra smooth, much better than my EX720 (which was 120hz with 240hz motionflow- that looked ******). Probably part better panel and part better processor. This is also evident in 3D.

jeff- I learned a long time ago not to trust the word of a pothead.

I don't know why I said soa, i meant soe, soap opera effect. The last sony lcd I had motionflow made movies have that look, and I thought cinemotion either 1 or 2, was supposed to help maintain the film look.
post #98 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

I know there the same. Thanks for pointing that out. Im going to enjoy this set for years to come. Cheers

Why the big angry face in your title.You got a good sony Edge-led tv in the hx 850 as i did in the hx823 and im sure il enjoy it for years to come too. Theres no shame in saying your hx850 has backlight issues with dynamic led off as you are prob the 1st person in history,with an edge-led tv to not see anything even slight with the Dynamic led off,its the main reason its there imo.But theres no need to start slagging off folks just like yourself who had issues with the hx820,you slag it off now but you changed it 9 times,so you must off liked the tv to change it that many times. So you had more frustration with a sony tv than possibly anybody in history,but after a day with the hx850 your putting down people with the same problem you had 9 times.Bit of a hypocrite imo,no offence.

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #99 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just sitting back with a glass of wine and some legal medicine (California) watching HBO. Is the panel on this set made by Samsung or Sharp?
Because I love watching a picture with 0 defects.

Are you sure its not a lollypop your sitting back with.Theres no such thing as the perfect TV or as you say it "0 defects".I would say pioneer came close 3 or 4 years ago though. There you go again slagging off OPs who werent stupid enough to keep changing their TV 9 TIMES! Man the online retailer/store manager must have been a right idiot...or as you said maybe your "special". http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...2951/test.html So your "all in" with the new sony now,i love sony too but maybe we had better wait a bit to start celebrating.

post #100 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

If i get a HX853 its going on the wall.

Did you see the pics of it on the HDfever link over on avf?Yeah i hang my TV as well,no choice theres a huge bracket right in the middle of my room,bolted(not screwed) to the wall,so it would be too messy at the mo. aaron,but it would still hurt too box that stand away...

post #101 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted View Post

Did you see the pics of it on the HDfever link over on avf?Yeah i hang my TV as well,no choice theres a huge bracket right in the middle of my room,bolted(not screwed) to the wall,so it would be too messy at the mo. aaron,but it would still hurt too box that stand away...

I can't remember seeing them...i have seen a few tasty looking pictures of the HX850 now though.

I rather like the tv mounted tight to the wall though. Main trouble will be where to put the box, especially if i get the 55. Normally just put them in the shed, not sure i will want to put that stand in a leaky shed.
post #102 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

I don't know why I said soa, i meant soe, soap opera effect. The last sony lcd I had motionflow made movies have that look, and I thought cinemotion either 1 or 2, was supposed to help maintain the film look.

Cinemotion adds the SOE. Motionflow just adds different kinds of frame interpolation, and doesn't really make much difference to the naked eye. It is most useful for sports or anything with quick scrolls/pans like a First Person Shooter video game. I was playing games yesterday using the Clear setting (which I think is black frames inserted) and it's pretty cool, but I like Standard better so far.
post #103 of 2228 Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Cinemotion adds the SOE. Motionflow just adds different kinds of frame interpolation, and doesn't really make much difference to the naked eye.

Motionflow except on clear to a point does add soe, on blu-ray. Its very evident on standard and smooth. I thought cinemotion helped with that, it did on the hx800, atleast.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...ut-sony-corral

I don't know if I will get one yet, but this tv does seem like its the best lcd of the year, other than than the sharp of course. Seeing it person right next to the es8000 it was clearly better.
post #104 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 AM

Hey Jeff, please continue posting pics and info regarding the tv, especially some pics with the black bars at the top, I have the TV coming on the 21st May and want any info that you can give.

Cheers Sam
post #105 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:

Why the big angry face in your title.You got a good sony Edge-led tv in the hx 850 as i did in the hx823 and im sure il enjoy it for years to come too. Theres no shame in saying your hx850 has backlight issues with dynamic led off as you are prob the 1st person in history,with an edge-led tv to not see anything even slight with the Dynamic led off,its the main reason its there imo.But theres no need to start slagging off folks just like yourself who had issues with the hx820,you slag it off now but you changed it 9 times,so you must off liked the tv to change it that many times. So you had more frustration with a sony tv than possibly anybody in history,but after a day with the hx850 your putting down people with the same problem you had 9 times.Bit of a hypocrite imo,no offence.

You win. You are the expert. You have been on this forum for so many many years. I took pictures and posted with the Dynamic LED off for all to see. Now go bully the other kids.
post #106 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You win. You are the expert. You have been on this forum for so many many years. I took pictures and posted with the Dynamic LED off for all to see. Now go bully the other kids.

look bud its not about who wins,just stating the fact that there is no such thing as the perfect TV,there never was,& i dont think im dealing with a "kid" who sits back with glasses of wine & medication as you put it.All im saying is its not right to gloat about a tv to others who are having issues just like you had numerous times.Didn't feel nice at the time il bet.I think the HX850 is a hell of a TV & congratulated anyone who got one.I was one of the lucky ones regarding the hx823,small issues but a fair step up on the HX803,P.Q. wise & i sold the hx803 to get it.But too start laughing at the unfortunate folks That got a bogey HX820 is taking it a bit far,when you had all that trouble yourself.No hard feelings mate,we'l leave it there what?...

post #107 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't remember seeing them...i have seen a few tasty looking pictures of the HX850 now though.

I rather like the tv mounted tight to the wall though. Main trouble will be where to put the box, especially if i get the 55. Normally just put them in the shed, not sure i will want to put that stand in a leaky shed.

Im sure there would be somewhere for the stand as if & when it comes time to upgrade again,your going to need it.I was talking about the pics of the hx850 on the HDfever link in my post (as you prob know?)Good luck Aaron-J

post #108 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im sure there would be somewhere for the stand as if & when it comes time to upgrade again,your going to need it.I was talking about the pics of the hx850 on the HDfever link in my post (as you prob know?)Good luck Aaron-J

Ah yes i remember those pictures, i have them saved to my computer now.
post #109 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Motionflow did not seem to give me SOE on my EX720, and it definitely does not on the HX850. Even Cinemotion does not give me the "tripping on mushrooms" feeling the EX720 did compared to the HX850. This may be different for 24p Blu Ray- I am referring only to Xbox 360 games and FIOS HD cable. I think the HX850 has a badass processor, because I watched Catalunya F1 last night and the high speed scenes were super sharp with XReality and Motionflow on.
Gaming Lag does not seem to be a problem either. There is little difference between everything off and Xreality On. I would definitely "feel" it, I am a huge gaming nerd. It does have some effect because the audio does re-sync when you flip Xreality On and Off, but not Motionflow (which caused resync on my EX720).
I agree with the above "shootout" article about the Dynamic LED- it is fantastic. It adjusts faster than you can see and eliminates flashlights as well as boosting contrast. It is the only auto-adjust thing I have ever liked!
post #110 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

This guy seems to know what I'm talking about. I found this when searching for WTF the different Motionflow settings actually do. iManual stinks. I want to find out more about XReality, Motionflow, Cinemotion, etc and it tells you NOTHING.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20621812
post #111 of 2228 Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

This guy seems to know what I'm talking about. I found this when searching for WTF the different Motionflow settings actually do. iManual stinks. I want to find out more about XReality, Motionflow, Cinemotion, etc and it tells you NOTHING.

That's intresting. I used cinemotion 1 and no motionflow mostly with hx800. At times I used clear 1, which was tolerable, on anything but blu-ray. I guess its very different on the new ones like this one and hx929. I just hate the soe, and try to avoid it. I like the way samsung does it where you can adjust judder and blur. LG has that too, but it does not work.
post #112 of 2228 Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

You are just coming a across as a troll now.

I couldn't use the presence sensor as i have a seat slightly out of range so it would turn the tv off mid program.

As for the ambient light sensor that adjusts the backlight depending on the light in the room, anyone who knows anything about settings and picture quality turned that off as it also messed with brightness and colour.

Seriously be happy with your HX820 in the owners thread and stop trying to ruin others enjoyment.

Aaron

why trolling?

"ruining olhers enjoyment?"

are you for real? hahaha
post #113 of 2228 Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

why trolling?

"ruining olhers enjoyment?"

are you for real? hahaha

Because you have made your point about not liking or wanting this set.

If you are going to quote me then quote me. I said.

Quote:

stop trying to ruin others enjoyment

Seriously be happy with your HX823 and glowing logo and move on. Owners here are happy.

We get it the lack of glowing pointless extras upsets you.

Aaron
post #114 of 2228 Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Im gonna request more photos of screen uniformity, clouding, bleeding etc, anything you can show would be much appreciated. This is a good image to use on the display to show off any issues: http://i.imgur.com/G6QZp.jpg
post #115 of 2228 Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:

look bud its not about who wins,just stating the fact that there is no such thing as the perfect TV,there never was,& i dont think im dealing with a "kid" who sits back with glasses of wine & medication as you put it.All im saying is its not right to gloat about a tv to others who are having issues just like you had numerous times.Didn't feel nice at the time il bet.I think the HX850 is a hell of a TV & congratulated anyone who got one.I was one of the lucky ones regarding the hx823,small issues but a fair step up on the HX803,P.Q. wise & i sold the hx803 to get it.But too start laughing at the unfortunate folks That got a bogey HX820 is taking it a bit far,when you had all that trouble yourself.No hard feelings mate,we'l leave it there what?...

Im not your *bud*
post #116 of 2228 Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im not your *bud*

It was just a figure of speech.Nothing else.

post #117 of 2228 Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just tweak around until you get a picture to your liking.The Cinema presets are pretty good,then you can fiddle around & if you dont or cant get a picture you like,reset & go again from a different perspective. X-reality pro is mostly for SD,upscaling. Cinemotion/drive mainly for what type of picture like a bluray movie vs. say, an homemade movie,then try stabalize your prefered picture with MF if you think its jerky or not smooth.Im sure you know most of what im getting at,but if you have a template,it always helps.Good luck...

post #118 of 2228 Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

The Sony Store now has these models reduced in price by $100 and they are also throwing in a free Bluray player as well (the Sony BDP-S590 - valued at $150) to sweeten the deal

Might be time to pull the trigger
Just need to find the right stand so I can put it on , thats my onlu holdup

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #119 of 2228 Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM

I really like the look of Xreality Auto, Motionflow Clear, and Backlight 6. Clear dims the picture a tiny bit, but much less so on my EX720. I have been using this for Xbox and cable HDTV. The Xreality makes things much brighter and sharper, even on a 1080p source like Xbox (altho xbox is not 1080p native, so it is probably just helping the upscaling). It looks so clear and photorealistic, it reminds me of my old Sony CRT HDTV.

Scene: General- Standard
Backlight 6 (Eco Off)
Contrast MAX
Brightness 50
Color 55
Color Temp Neutral
Sharp 50
All AUTO, Motionflow Clear, Cinemotion OFF

post #120 of 2228 Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShoBear View Post

Im gonna request more photos of screen uniformity, clouding, bleeding etc, anything you can show would be much appreciated. This is a good image to use on the display to show off any issues: http://i.imgur.com/G6QZp.jpg

There is backlight bleed/flashlighting/spotlights in each corner (more so in the bottom ones) and dead center bottom, over the sony logo. These are not visible with dynamic LED on. However, they are pretty bad when you turn it off. Even when I turn on Power Saver and turn the backlight down, they are still there. But this is only on a black screen, and only if you turn off local dimming.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page