Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
TDKreturns's Avatar TDKreturns 09:53 PM 01-03-2013
Hey guys i had question about the hx850 the blacks are really good during the day or when the lights are on but in a conpletely dark room I noticed brighter edges on one corner viewing off angle and blue clouding on black screen. Is my a deflect or it's just a common edge lit problem?

Gregck's Avatar Gregck 10:04 PM 01-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKreturns View Post

Hey guys i had question about the hx850 the blacks are really good during the day or when the lights are on but in a conpletely dark room I noticed brighter edges on one corner viewing off angle and blue clouding on black screen. Is my a deflect or it's just a common edge lit problem?

Could need better calibration. My HX850 is completely black in cinema mode. No blue clouding. And the off angle picture is just fine.

Could be a defective 850, in which case you should contact Sony Listens.
rajivr's Avatar rajivr 10:45 PM 01-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinL View Post

Hmm - thanks for the input. I'm not sure if it's different with the 55", but mine definitely has some uniformity issues. It's only noticible on black screens, but it kinda frustrates me.

I've increased the exposure in the shot below as my last attempt to post didn't show much, but in general - this is probably a relatively accurate representation.

Set Led Dynamic Control: Standard
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar HaRd2BeAr 04:15 AM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKreturns View Post

Most tv's will look poor in a completely dark room because of how our eyes percieve light. Get some led lights to stick behind the tv like i have done, makes the blacks very inky in a dark room and should hide the edge bleed.

It's never recommended to view a tv in a completely dark room as it us fatiguing for your eyes.

Aaron
goldmine848's Avatar goldmine848 09:57 AM 01-04-2013
I tried to post this earlier but it is not appearing so forgive me if it is a double post. Regarding posts above in this thread that this tv might og on sale or be offered with promotional items, what is the best way to know if those offers are out there other than checking the Sony and Bestbuy websites on a daily basis?
pilgrimpete's Avatar pilgrimpete 10:31 AM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2845 View Post

The best time to buy this TV wil be in March/April. With that being said that does not mean waiting until than to buy this TV if you can get a good deal now. Don't be surprised this month if they offer a free soundbar, blueray or 3D glass with this tv.

Thanks for your reply. I probably won't wait until then but will see what I can get added on with it when the promotions begin.
m2845's Avatar m2845 12:45 PM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmine848 View Post

I tried to post this earlier but it is not appearing so forgive me if it is a double post. Regarding posts above in this thread that this tv might og on sale or be offered with promotional items, what is the best way to know if those offers are out there other than checking the Sony and Bestbuy websites on a daily basis?

Not sure where you live but here in florida we have a Sony Store that is pretty good in telling me upcoming deals or promotions. You can try going to a Sony store if there is one in your area. For online some good places to visit also is Decide.com (paid membership) but well worth the investment or places like techbargins.com, pricewatch or slickdeals.net to name a few.

To help you out and others here is a link that should be useful in your search.

http://www.similarsites.com/site/techbargains.com

Knowledge is power my friend!! smile.gif

Good luck in your search!
m2845's Avatar m2845 12:48 PM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post

Thanks for your reply. I probably won't wait until then but will see what I can get added on with it when the promotions begin.

No problem!!

Good luck and keep us posted when you make this purchase.
jsdad's Avatar jsdad 03:48 PM 01-04-2013
Just purchased the 55" a couple of weeks ago. Coming from a Sony 43" projection set. I'm ecstatic at the quality picture this set provides. Was on the fence between this and the Panasonic ST-50.

Was very surprised on how well this TV does with SD material. We only use a roof top antenna, and both HD and SD feeds are excellent! I didn't have much hope for SD material after seeing some HORRIBLE cable box feeds in the stores. (Don't know how in the world they could hope to sell this TV with a crappy feed like that)

What is the "Gorilla Glass" front panel made of? I'm thinking of down the road dust clean-up off the screen. Don't want to just move the dust around and risk scratching or leaving any marks on the front panel? confused.gif
tima94930's Avatar tima94930 04:01 PM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdad View Post

What is the "Gorilla Glass" front panel made of?

It's made of Gorilla Glass. wink.gif
DoctorM's Avatar DoctorM 04:07 PM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima94930 View Post

It's made of Gorilla Glass. wink.gif
You beat me to it.
Browninggold's Avatar Browninggold 04:22 PM 01-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdad View Post

Just purchased the 55" a couple of weeks ago. Coming from a Sony 43" projection set. I'm ecstatic at the quality picture this set provides. Was on the fence between this and the Panasonic ST-50.
Was very surprised on how well this TV does with SD material. We only use a roof top antenna, and both HD and SD feeds are excellent! I didn't have much hope for SD material after seeing some HORRIBLE cable box feeds in the stores. (Don't know how in the world they could hope to sell this TV with a crappy feed like that)
What is the "Gorilla Glass" front panel made of? I'm thinking of down the road dust clean-up off the screen. Don't want to just move the dust around and risk scratching or leaving any marks on the front panel? confused.gif
Gorilla Glass...What is the "Gorilla Glass" front panel made of? I'm thinking of down the road dust clean-up
I don't think you will scratch it....http://gizmodo.com/5726124/what-is-gorilla-glass
School's Avatar School 05:37 PM 01-04-2013
If you use you ps3 as your bluray player what settings do you use the cnet settings or game settings also what do you use while watching cable tv
School's Avatar School 07:27 PM 01-04-2013
And sports
JewDaddy's Avatar JewDaddy 09:04 AM 01-05-2013
Thought I would share my story of the recently purchased 55HX850 I'm having replaced. I had a Sony KDS-60A3000 rear projection tv that developed the dreaded optical block failure a few months ago. After some research, I learned this was a widespread problem that Sony was actually sued over and they decided to extend the warranty on the tv until July of 2011. Btw, the tv came out in 2007. Mine was well past the warranty period but I called Sony Listens and they offered me an exchange/upgrade at a discounted price. The two models offered were of the lower end and didn't interest me at all. I asked if the 55HX850 was availble for this program and it was. I got the 55HX850 at a great price and it was delivered at the end of November.

I love this tv and the picture quality it can produce. I hate to say it but my eyes prefer a picture that pops with a little more saturation in my colors, deeper blacks that crush some detail and a bright picture. Not vivid i promise but a good medium between cinema and vivid. I can share my settings later if anyone is interested. My wife and I began to notice a blueish green rectangle box on the bottom left panel while watching 3D. It wasn't very noticeable at first, but once we saw it, we saw it almost all the time while watching 3D. I remember reading on here that someone noticed a similar issue on the tv but not enough people have said anything to make me think its normal.

I called Sony Listens yesterday and went through every support level they had and finally ended up taking a picture of the issue and emailing their top level support. I've attached the picture for you guys to see. My Gaming PC is hooked up to the tv with 3D enabled. It was the best way for my camera to pick up the problem. The gentleman saw it and said he would have someone call me back. Before we got off the phone I explained that I did not want a repair done on this tv. I bought a new tv and that's what I should get. Not a tv that came with a manufacturers defect that requires a repair. He said he understands and would have someone call me back in the next business day.

I received an email later that evening from Sony support stating that I need to call for the recent status on my tv. I called the number and spoke with customer support and they informed me I would be receiving a replacement tv that was re-certified that may or may not have some minor cosmetic damage and I would have to ship the other tv back with a return label they send. She then asked, "Do you accept this offer?" Which I replied with "Absolutley not." Lol. I stated my case and said how unfair it is for me as a consumer to buy a new tv that came with a defect and then expect me to accept a re-certified tv with minor cosmetic damage. I flat out asked her, do you honestly think that sounds fair? She was honest and said no. She then said she would call me back in a few minutes. She called back and said a new tv will be sent and when they bring the new tv, they will also help load up the defective tv and ship back to Sony. I of course accepted that offer.

Sorry for the long winded story but I thought I should share with you guys. If anyone else is having this issue and has decided to live with it, don't. Sony has done a great job of working with me so far even if I have to pry it out of them a little bit. Their customer service has been great and I plan on sticking with them for a while. Samsung did not give me this kind of support when I had issues with the D8000 and ES8000 tv.

Anyways, I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue and see how widespread it is. I can't figure out if its a firmware issue that could be fixed with an update or if its a hardware issue and only a select few can see it. The best way to find it is on a white background in 3d. We really noticed it during Arthur Christmas because of all the snow. I hope I don't have any issues with my replacement because other than the 3D problem, my tv was perfect. No banding, clouding and very minor flashlighting in the corners but that's mainly due to my backlight settings.

rajivr's Avatar rajivr 09:41 AM 01-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by School View Post

If you use you ps3 as your bluray player what settings do you use the cnet settings or game settings also what do you use while watching cable tv

Do not use game settings to watch movie because local dimming is not very effective in game mode, I suspect it is to minimize lag.

You need to be on Cinema 1 scene mode, you can start with cnet settings and adjust based on your eyes.
School's Avatar School 10:03 AM 01-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Do not use game settings to watch movie because local dimming is not very effective in game mode, I suspect it is to minimize lag.
You need to be on Cinema 1 scene mode, you can start with cnet settings and adjust based on your eyes.

thanks for the info i used cnets to watch jurassic park and avatar last night and it looked great.. i would really like to know the best settings to use when i play video games, watch sports and regular cable tv.....
DoctorM's Avatar DoctorM 11:12 AM 01-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Gorilla Glass...What is the "Gorilla Glass" front panel made of? I'm thinking of down the road dust clean-up
I don't think you will scratch it....http://gizmodo.com/5726124/what-is-gorilla-glass

Anyone still have a link for the Israeli reviewers attempting to damage the Gorilla Glass?
It's from Corning and seriously strong.
acermen1212's Avatar acermen1212 11:54 AM 01-05-2013
I would like your opinions of some TV’s I am considering. I originally was considering the Sony 55 HX850 but have become concerned of the cost of it ($2000). I am coming from an 8 year old Sony plasma and want to go to an LED TV. Newer technologies will be coming and am concerned about investing too much money on a technology what will be obsolete real soon like(OLED, 4k resolution etc). Also the price of this set has not been discounted as much as I expected, Sony's new policies.. The other sets I have been considering at lower price points are the Vizio E601I-A3 ($999), the Sony KDL60EX645 ($1499) and Sony KDL55HX750 ($1499). But I an concerned with the over quality of black level, black uniformity and off axis viewing of these compared to the Sony 55HX850.
Unfortunately I cannot view these sets in order to compare them and I am looking for suggestions on a direction to go in. Should I wait for the new 2013 tv since they are around they will be released soon?
I would appreciate comments. Thanks for the help.

Tony
Browninggold's Avatar Browninggold 12:01 PM 01-05-2013
If your concerned with cost I would imagine the 2013s are not an option. Maybe once the new models hit the floor which in my guess won't be anytime soon 2-3 mos. the 850 will drop some just to move them out. But with that said the 929 @ BB is more than the 950 on there website so who knows.
rajivr's Avatar rajivr 12:56 PM 01-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by School View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

thanks for the info i used cnets to watch jurassic park and avatar last night and it looked great.. i would really like to know the best settings to use when i play video games, watch sports and regular cable tv.....

For video games, use Game Standard scene, turn on local dimming to standard and reduce backlight to as minimum as your environment needs. Also turn off ended enhancer.

For Cable including sports, refer to my other post on page 34. Cable TV content needs processing to make it look better and that's where Sony helps.
jsdad's Avatar jsdad 02:06 PM 01-05-2013
Thanks Browningold for the info link. The "Gorilla Glass" looks to be some tough stuff.
Guibs's Avatar Guibs 05:58 AM 01-06-2013
Bought this TV yesterday. I've been shopping for 3 years for a new TV. On the first year, I ended up buying and returning 5 different TV. They were all return for various reasons but the most common on was clouding and blur (except for the one plasma that I have tried, where I notice that my eyes were sensitive to plasma flickering and it was something I could not live with).

This TV seems to fit all of my criteria. Fast for sports, input lag is reasonable for gaming and the PQ is great.

I'm am pleased with my purchase with the exception of one problem, pretty noticeable flashlighting in both lower corners even with Dynamic led set to standard (although it helps reducing it affect when set this way).

Flashlighting is very noticeable on black bars when watching movie (although it's not that bad) but and during menues. When we are watching full screen content (no black bars, no menus), I cannot see the flashlighting at all.

I've reduce my backlit to minimum to help reduce the effect but it's still present. During the day, with normal lighting, it's almost not visisble even on black bars unless I look for it, I don't see it.

At night, when all lights are off, on black bars and menu, it's pretty obvious.

So I'm thorn. Not sure if I should take the chance to exchange it for another model. This TV so far doesn't seem to exhibit DSR or clouding (the panel uniformity, at least with regular content and some occasional solid color screens like in TV adds seems excelent). I'm affraid that if I trade it in, I could either get the same flashlighting (which seems like a recurrent theme for people here) or worst, get a TV with DSR or worst panel uniformity.

I guess I'm wondering to my fellow owners, those with flashlighting similar to mine, when have you guys ended up doing? Also, was there further pictures tweak you were able to do to help lower the presence of the flashlighting without sacrifying too much PQ or crushing blacks.

thanks,
Guibs's Avatar Guibs 06:15 AM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

2013 isn't going to solve anything. People say they will wait till next year every year and to no surprise, every issue is still just as strong as ever. I'd get your set replaced, the success rate with the HX850 is higher than normal. One of its big praises besides the beautiful picture is the fact that the clouding is very weak compared to competitor sets.
As for the 950 and it's lesser model, the 929, they can have issues too. I purchased a 929 a while back and replace it before deciding to get a refund (Too laggy for games). Both sets had flashlighting in the bottom right and left corners.

This is true. I've been shopping for almost 3 years and all the same issues are still present, flashlighting and clouding is still around. I don't think waiting on next year will help. I've been trying it and it has not. At some point you have to pick your poison and decide with which one you can live with and see if you can reduce its effects.
Guibs's Avatar Guibs 06:18 AM 01-06-2013
On the subject of Flashlighting, it's been shown on other model, at least from what I remember, that flashlighting is sometimes the results of too much presure being applied in the corner. I remember a while back something who ended up loosing up the screws in the corner of his TV where he had flashlighting and the issue was lessen a lot.

I'm wondering if anyone attempted this on their hx850 ?
winston9332's Avatar winston9332 06:45 AM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

This is true. I've been shopping for almost 3 years and all the same issues are still present, flashlighting and clouding is still around. I don't think waiting on next year will help. I've been trying it and it has not. At some point you have to pick your poison and decide with which one you can live with and see if you can reduce its effects.

Or just get a plasma...
Guibs's Avatar Guibs 08:32 AM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Or just get a plasma...

Tried plasma, my eyes cannot stand plasma 60hz flickering. I see flickering on any bright colors, a problem that 15% of the population has. I bought one, tried it for a week to see if I could get used to it, but I couldn't. So I returned it.
rajivr's Avatar rajivr 10:22 AM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Bought this TV yesterday. I've been shopping for 3 years for a new TV. On the first year, I ended up buying and returning 5 different TV. They were all return for various reasons but the most common on was clouding and blur (except for the one plasma that I have tried, where I notice that my eyes were sensitive to plasma flickering and it was something I could not live with).
This TV seems to fit all of my criteria. Fast for sports, input lag is reasonable for gaming and the PQ is great.
I'm am pleased with my purchase with the exception of one problem, pretty noticeable flashlighting in both lower corners even with Dynamic led set to standard (although it helps reducing it affect when set this way).
Flashlighting is very noticeable on black bars when watching movie (although it's not that bad) but and during menues. When we are watching full screen content (no black bars, no menus), I cannot see the flashlighting at all.
I've reduce my backlit to minimum to help reduce the effect but it's still present. During the day, with normal lighting, it's almost not visisble even on black bars unless I look for it, I don't see it.
At night, when all lights are off, on black bars and menu, it's pretty obvious.
So I'm thorn. Not sure if I should take the chance to exchange it for another model. This TV so far doesn't seem to exhibit DSR or clouding (the panel uniformity, at least with regular content and some occasional solid color screens like in TV adds seems excelent). I'm affraid that if I trade it in, I could either get the same flashlighting (which seems like a recurrent theme for people here) or worst, get a TV with DSR or worst panel uniformity.
I guess I'm wondering to my fellow owners, those with flashlighting similar to mine, when have you guys ended up doing? Also, was there further pictures tweak you were able to do to help lower the presence of the flashlighting without sacrifying too much PQ or crushing blacks.
thanks,

This suggestion came from another member. Turn Eco to Low. Turn Gamma to -1 or -2. Backlight to min and Picture to Max. You can find his full settings on this thread within the last 100 posts.

Good luck.
adrman's Avatar adrman 12:39 PM 01-06-2013
Chronitis, I just wanted say thanks for the settings you posted. I gave them a side by side with my previous preference, hometheater.com's settings yesterday and I prefer yours. I still haven't put the 850 on my meter yet to see what I come up with on my own, but yours look great.
an-hx850's Avatar an-hx850 05:10 PM 01-06-2013
Hello! I am going to be getting this TV later this week! Any prep that I should know of to get the best possible experience out of the television?
Tags: Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop