Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I see you are not in US. but here Geo. Bush president had passed a anti-piracy bill.
this was done during the pirates crap off East Africa.
so people overlooked it also covered any kind of piracy. Obama also added to it about 2 years ago.
and recently it covered downloading your DVD movies to your own computer.
(now illegal, this about 2 months ago....)
so if any movies or content is covered by copyrights you may become suspect.
I do not know if this is also law in Ca. but I would be careful,
wrong film might be not worth the trouble.
food for thought......
there maybe some content on youtube.

Hence why I said LEGAL...not looking for anything that infringes on copyright laws...just some places I can download some free LEGAL videos I can try on the tv smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM

guys just wait until the new models come out.

They have superthin bezels.

Dem aesthetics, and I can imagine they would be coming soon, due to the discontinuation of the 850
post #1443 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyjack View Post

guys just wait until the new models come out.

They have superthin bezels.

Dem aesthetics, and I can imagine they would be coming soon, due to the discontinuation of the 850

I too am waiting for the new models. Hopefully they don't have the glossy screens or the opti contrast panel of the HX 850 and have excellent viewing angles like my old XBR4. If they do then I will stay away.
post #1444 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

What settings are you using, ie backlight? Could always get some leds to go behind the tv like i have done, improves the black levels no end and has hidden my slight clouding.

Aaron

Backlit is set to either 1 or minimum. Playing between the two. Min gives the better black but seem to sacrifice shadow details. That's also the reason I am not putting my Eco setting to low as someone else suggested. Even if my tv is in the basement with almost no light, setting it to low crushes shadow details too much for my liking.

My settings are backlit to min, picture to default(90)' brightness to 51, color to 50. All other enhancement to off. Motionflow to standard, cine motion to auto2. Dynamic led to standard. I think in the white, I only set the last b bias to -1 to eliminated the blue in black.

What kind of lamp did you put beind your tv and what strength? I might try that.
post #1445 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Well, definitely do not get a 2012 Samsung then as the flashlighting on ES line is about as bad as you can get.

Also, backlighting per the poster above does indeed greatly reduce flashlighting while viewing in dim/dark environments.

Already at the minimum. On some HDTV content(tv feed)' it's already very dark. On some other kind of content, it's fine.

Anyway, it's not very visible while content is on the screen, but when playing games, it's quite bad especially on loading screens. I know it's just loading screen, but it reminds me every time that I have a flawed product in my hand.

Anyway, I believe you bout the Samsung. Samsung have other issues which would bug me a lot. They have far worst view angle. My cousin bought a 7000 series before Christmas and on black scene, when off center, all blacks look bluish. The hx850 is better in that regard.

I really like the hx850. If only Sony could manage screen uniformity on a more consistent basis. 3 tv, all manufactured in October 2012' all show flashlighting in bottom corners. I wouldn't even imagine watching this tv if it didn't have local dimming.
post #1446 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Backlit is set to either 1 or minimum. Playing between the two. Min gives the better black but seem to sacrifice shadow details. That's also the reason I am not putting my Eco setting to low as someone else suggested. Even if my tv is in the basement with almost no light, setting it to low crushes shadow details too much for my liking.

My settings are backlit to min, picture to default(90)' brightness to 51, color to 50. All other enhancement to off. Motionflow to standard, cine motion to auto2. Dynamic led to standard. I think in the white, I only set the last b bias to -1 to eliminated the blue in black.

What kind of lamp did you put beind your tv and what strength? I might try that.

I have an led strip around the back of my tv as i have it wall mounted. Really helps the black levels and cost less than £20 ($30).
post #1447 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Hey guys I had my tv for a month now and im starting to notice horizontal lines that are quick flashs. Buts its only when watching direct tv not when I put in my blu ray player. I know about horizontal lines on lcds, can my tv be a defect or maybe the signal with directv?
post #1448 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Is it something you can catch with a camera?
post #1449 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM

I only noticed the lines watching cable, I dont use an hmdi. When I pop n a blu ray no lines things perfect
post #1450 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I don't think you can return 3D glasses unless if they were unopened. That and Philips SonicCare toothbrushes once used a no go...

FYI - absolutely no problem returning the playstation 3D glasses to Best Buy.
post #1451 of 2227 Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Already at the minimum. On some HDTV content(tv feed)' it's already very dark. On some other kind of content, it's fine.

Anyway, it's not very visible while content is on the screen, but when playing games, it's quite bad especially on loading screens. I know it's just loading screen, but it reminds me every time that I have a flawed product in my hand.

Anyway, I believe you bout the Samsung. Samsung have other issues which would bug me a lot. They have far worst view angle. My cousin bought a 7000 series before Christmas and on black scene, when off center, all blacks look bluish. The hx850 is better in that regard.

I really like the hx850. If only Sony could manage screen uniformity on a more consistent basis. 3 tv, all manufactured in October 2012' all show flashlighting in bottom corners. I wouldn't even imagine watching this tv if it didn't have local dimming.

Other thing to keep in mind, all edge lit LEDs will have flashlighting to some degree in a dark room with a dark scene, whether it be severe, minimal or barely detectable. It's the nature of the beast with edge lit compared to full array, so trying to find an edge lit led with zero flashlighting will be as difficult as finding a 65' led with zero banding.
post #1452 of 2227 Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Other thing to keep in mind, all edge lit LEDs will have flashlighting to some degree in a dark room with a dark scene, whether it be severe, minimal or barely detectable. It's the nature of the beast with edge lit compared to full array, so trying to find an edge lit led with zero flashlighting will be as difficult as finding a 65' led with zero banding.

I know that but seeing people with better uniformity on their TV makes it a bit desapointing when you can't seem to be able to have the same thing.

Also, flash lighting and clouding is not limited to edge lit. When I was shopping for a new TV 2-3 years ago, I actually bought some LCD (not led) and they both had the issue. Fast forward to last year and this year, there are some owners of Sony's own HX929 and HX950 who also had flashlithing. The good thing about the later models is that they are full backlit led and their local dimming tech is better (usually more zones) than the hx850 which makes it better at hidding them.
post #1453 of 2227 Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I too am waiting for the new models. Hopefully they don't have the glossy screens or the opti contrast panel of the HX 850 and have excellent viewing angles like my old XBR4. If they do then I will stay away.

The specifications for the new W900 are identical to the HX850 except for the triluminos color thing. The MotionFlow XR 960 and X-Reality Pro are the same specs as the active 3D. If you cannot find an HX850 now then is a safe bet to wait for the W900. The bezel is slimer and if they improved the dinamic LED control, the image quality will be something special indeed. I really like the image qualityof the HX850, the blacks and contrast of this set are excelent, specially if you use BIAS lighting at night. I know that the panasonic plasmas are held like the best tvs, but in my case my room is very brigth at day so the picture of the plasma tv look very dull to my eyes. Also I live in Central America and here the electricity is very expensive so I prefer a LED that consumes 110 watts than a plasma that does 300+ watts (the TV also runs pretty cool compare to plasma). The only thing that I will not put my money on is the W900 having much better viewing angles that the HX850. The triluminos, I don´t know wait and see, sony loves to brag about their color schemes but in the end you just turn them off because they mess up your calibration, LIVE COLOR for example. I really like the gorilla glass desing of the HX850 is very classy.
post #1454 of 2227 Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Ill never go samsung again with their horrible flashlighting, washed out colors, bad input lag, terrible off angle viewing, banding, etc.

now what i can tell u is this. Between my brother parents and grandparents who have multiple samsung and sony tvs, they have 0 dead pixels and their sets are several years old. One even runs almost 24/7 since 2008... No dead or stuck pixels.

I will stick with the sony brand unless samsung does something crazy with their 2013 models but i doubt it. The w900a from sony sounds like it will be even better than the 850.

I paid 2300 for a used 850 with the warranty and for that kind of money i could buy an english bulldog haha. If there were no dead pixel it would be a def keeper. Otherwise i feel ripped off.

So after all this you go ahead and purchase a Samsung 7100??? You are funny !!

With the price point at 1500 I don't blame you but be careful not to bash a company and than go and purchase a tv from the same company that you swore you would never buy from.

I hope you enjoy your Samsung but after even your own comments something tells me that you won't and you will return it as well.
post #1455 of 2227 Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2845 View Post

So after all this you go ahead and purchase a Samsung 7100??? You are funny !!

With the price point at 1500 I don't blame you but be careful not to bash a company and than go and purchase a tv from the same company that you swore you would never buy from.

I hope you enjoy your Samsung but after even your own comments something tells me that you won't and you will return it as well.

Never say never. I got the 7100 today and it has no flaws. No dead pixels no flashlighting and no banding. Backlight is at 10/20. Now the 850 had better local dimming and a little bit better viewing angle. Also colors on the sony were a little better. I would have tried the 850 again but they were out of stock. Maybe a sony next year or two years from now. I have a feeling ill want a 60" plus tv next.
post #1456 of 2227 Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Never say never. I got the 7100 today and it has no flaws. No dead pixels no flashlighting and no banding. Backlight is at 10/20. Now the 850 had better local dimming and a little bit better viewing angle. Also colors on the sony were a little better. I would have tried the 850 again but they were out of stock. Maybe a sony next year or two years from now. I have a feeling ill want a 60" plus tv next.

Congrats! Most important thing is that you now have a panel that you are happy with.
post #1457 of 2227 Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

No matter, the samsung has better internet + a dual core and It can play mkv's
And the samsung looks better aesthetically

I would say thats a win. But dont be so pedantic next time
post #1458 of 2227 Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Danediz,

Congrats my friend!! smile.gif The one thing that I always like and respect about you is that you are always honest, upfront and extremly helpful on all these boards.

I purchased this tv (samsung) back in July but returned it because it had to much flickering when watching sports and any fast moving objects.

In the end, you have the right to be happy with anytihng you purchase as well as the rigth to return an item that you are not happy it.

Enjoy my friend! smile.gif

PS, I will shoot you a private email later this weekend!
post #1459 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 AM

HI GUYS . i just bought 46HX850 . N I AM KIND Of noob to this hd ledtv thing i heard many of u guys complaining about cloud n flashlight problem can u guys tell me wat it is and how to check it . and i more help i bought this tv for gaming n movies but when i connect my ps3 to my tv its resolution changes to like 1080p 12 bit what is this 12 bit can anybody tell me plz any help will be much appriciated coz this damn thing is in japanese m there is no option to change is osd language frown.gif
post #1460 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRANSNAKE View Post

HI GUYS . i just bought 46HX850 . N I AM KIND Of noob to this hd ledtv thing i heard many of u guys complaining about cloud n flashlight problem can u guys tell me wat it is and how to check it . and i more help i bought this tv for gaming n movies but when i connect my ps3 to my tv its resolution changes to like 1080p 12 bit what is this 12 bit can anybody tell me plz any help will be much appriciated coz this damn thing is in japanese m there is no option to change is osd language frown.gif

The resolution changes from 1080p to 1080p 12 bit when your playstation or 3D blu-ray player detects you 3D tv and then that's the signal that is send to the Hx850. If you have an xbox360 the resolution will be 1080p period. No need to worry, is perfecty normal and the picture quality remains the same. To change the languaje press the HOME button on your remote, then select the preferences menu and then languaje. Remenber that the Hx850 has an i-manual that's built into the menu, you can see it here if you want to http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL55HX850&LOC=3#/manualsTab.

If you don't own a calibration disc do yourself a favor and do the following (in order to have an excelent picture quality):
1. In preferences, Eco menu, make sure that "power saving" and "light sensor" options are turn OFF
2. Press Options on the control remote and then "Scene Select" and select "Cinema"
3. In preferences, Picture and Display, Pictures settings, Select "Cinema 1", then turn OFF Reality Creation and Smooth Gradiation. Set Cinemotion on Auto 1 and motionflow OFF for movies and games and "Clear" for cable tv and sports. Be sure that everything is turn OFF in "Advance Settings" except fot LED DYNAMIC CONTROL set to STANDARD(this is very important). All the rest stays the same, just adjust the backlight according to your viewing environment (increase it if your room is very bright and decrease it if its dark, try it until you like the way the picture pops.
4. In preferences, Picture and Display, Screen, select Wide Mode: FULL, Auto Wide: OFF and very important Display Area: FULL PIXEL (for this especif option to appear you must have a 1080p signal feed to the TV, game or movie doesn´t matter)

Ok I hope this will help you. This Tv has an amazing Picture quality. You will enjoy your games, movies and cable tv a lot more with this settings.

Very quickly and not to good explanation, Clouding is when you can see like clouds of light in dark scenes and Flashlighting is when you can see light bleeding from the corners of the tv. I know that all LED tvs have the flashlighting problem in one way or another, but in the HX850 is not that common like on some LED samsungs. When you use the LED Dynamic control on Standar it helps a lot to not have this problem
VesNL likes this.
post #1461 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for a while now carefully considering everybody's opinion and decided to purchase the 55 inch HX850. I recently bought this television at BB but it is an open box/floor model due to them being out of stock. I just want to know what anyone thinks of floor models. I've inspected the unit on display and I've asked the associate and he said it was out on the floor for just about 2 months. I've carefully checked the condition on it as well as any dead pixels, flashlighting, clouding, etc and all seems to check out fine especially when the associate demoed the dark knight rises movie. It was advertised for $1689 and lowered it to 1599 plus a 10% discount for open box items plus free shipping to my residence since it won't be able to fit in my car at the time. I decided not to get the geek squad protection plan because I believe it might not be worth it unless it is a good idea to so I'm awaiting your responses so for now I'm sticking with the 1 year warranty that Sony offers. Was this a good deal? Should I have been looking for anything else condition wise (sorry I'm new at this)? I'll check the previous pages on this thread for some recommended tv settings since I trust that you guys are the experts on this stuff. Thanks again for all your advice and I can't wait to get my tv set come Tuesday.
post #1462 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktriad View Post

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for a while now carefully considering everybody's opinion and decided to purchase the 55 inch HX850. I recently bought this television at BB but it is an open box/floor model due to them being out of stock. I just want to know what anyone thinks of floor models. I've inspected the unit on display and I've asked the associate and he said it was out on the floor for just about 2 months. I've carefully checked the condition on it as well as any dead pixels, flashlighting, clouding, etc and all seems to check out fine especially when the associate demoed the dark knight rises movie. It was advertised for $1689 and lowered it to 1599 plus a 10% discount for open box items plus free shipping to my residence since it won't be able to fit in my car at the time. I decided not to get the geek squad protection plan because I believe it might not be worth it unless it is a good idea to so I'm awaiting your responses so for now I'm sticking with the 1 year warranty that Sony offers. Was this a good deal? Should I have been looking for anything else condition wise (sorry I'm new at this)? I'll check the previous pages on this thread for some recommended tv settings since I trust that you guys are the experts on this stuff. Thanks again for all your advice and I can't wait to get my tv set come Tuesday.

Unlike plasma and burn-in, there aren't a lot of negative to get a floor model when it comes to LCD. 2months seems like a short time anyway. I'd say one positive would be that you got the chance to check the unit for default (clouding, dead pixel, flashlighting) in a dark environment are also positive.

I think you could have try to be a bit more aggressive and try to get another additional year of warranty for free out of the deal but that's just something sometimes you can get away with with floor models.
post #1463 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktriad View Post

I personally have no issues with opened box product, though I question that the TV was only on display for 2 months, seems a bit short but who knows. As far as the deal, thats a pretty solid price for that FP and was a pretty nice find. As far as the whole warranty or non-warranty thing goes honestly do whatever you're comfortable with. Generally speaking FP's last a while and you shouldn't have the need for any extra coverage, but that being said, if your HX850 goes belly up in 18 months by some small chance, you're the one stuck with footing the bill for a new unit. I can see if both ways.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #1464 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Thanks for both of your responses since it does make me feel a bit better about my purchase since this was my first (technically I bought my 32" bravia back in '06 but paid almost $2k for it. I know I know, what was I thinking...). I also plan on getting a calibration disc and have been looking at Disney's WOW disc and Spears and Munsil discs. I'm thinking I should get both but I think I want to try the Disney one first since it's kind of my first time trying to calibrate a quality tv like this. Since I'm on a budget, and I'm not really too particular about the home theater experience (and limited apartment space and considering my upstairs neighbors), I was thinking of getting a soundbar (also looking particularly at some Sony models). Does anyone have any experience with those and how it fares compared to a 2.1 speaker setup or even a full blown 5.1/7.1 speaker setup? Thanks.
post #1465 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

The resolution changes from 1080p to 1080p 12 bit when your playstation or 3D blu-ray player detects you 3D tv and then that's the signal that is send to the Hx850. If you have an xbox360 the resolution will be 1080p period. No need to worry, is perfecty normal and the picture quality remains the same. To change the languaje press the HOME button on your remote, then select the preferences menu and then languaje. Remenber that the Hx850 has an i-manual that's built into the menu, you can see it here if you want to http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL55HX850&LOC=3#/manualsTab.

If you don't own a calibration disc do yourself a favor and do the following (in order to have an excelent picture quality):
1. In preferences, Eco menu, make sure that "power saving" and "light sensor" options are turn OFF
2. Press Options on the control remote and then "Scene Select" and select "Cinema"
3. In preferences, Picture and Display, Pictures settings, Select "Cinema 1", then turn OFF Reality Creation and Smooth Gradiation. Set Cinemotion on Auto 1 and motionflow OFF for movies and games and "Clear" for cable tv and sports. Be sure that everything is turn OFF in "Advance Settings" except fot LED DYNAMIC CONTROL set to STANDARD(this is very important). All the rest stays the same, just adjust the backlight according to your viewing environment (increase it if your room is very bright and decrease it if its dark, try it until you like the way the picture pops.
4. In preferences, Picture and Display, Screen, select Wide Mode: FULL, Auto Wide: OFF and very important Display Area: FULL PIXEL (for this especif option to appear you must have a 1080p signal feed to the TV, game or movie doesn´t matter)

Ok I hope this will help you. This Tv has an amazing Picture quality. You will enjoy your games, movies and cable tv a lot more with this settings.

Very quickly and not to good explanation, Clouding is when you can see like clouds of light in dark scenes and Flashlighting is when you can see light bleeding from the corners of the tv. I know that all LED tvs have the flashlighting problem in one way or another, but in the HX850 is not that common like on some LED samsungs. When you use the LED Dynamic control on Standar it helps a lot to not have this problem

thanks fegam2 . i changed the settings like u said n my movies n games r looking gr8 coz of ur detailed explanation thanks you mate .
post #1466 of 2227 Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRANSNAKE View Post

thanks fegam2 . i changed the settings like u said n my movies n games r looking gr8 coz of ur detailed explanation thanks you mate .

Your welcome, enjoy your new TV
post #1467 of 2227 Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post

Here are the settings that I posted before. A lot of people like to turn the eco off but I set mine to low. It makes for a much deeper black level. You have to turn up the contrast all the way, but doing so results in video processing brightness levels of 100 cdm/2. My gamma settings of -2 results in a flat 2.4 gamma reading. It's dark, but I determined it using the itu bt. 1886 gamma calculator on this site. Here's a little info. http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.1886-0-201103-I!!PDF-E.pdf For srgb sources(video games) I use -1 gamma, as thats the proper setting according to the calculator. As far as all the other video processing like noise reduction I have off because they just soften the picture.

Eco: Low-extremely important for really low black level and for eliminating those nasty flashlight effects

Scene select: Cinema
Backlight: Min
Picture: Max
Brightness: 51
Color: 50
Hue: G1
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 25
All noise reduction and Reality creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 2

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Turn off all picture enhancement settings: Adv. Contrast, Clear White etc.
Gamma: -2
Led Dynamic Control: Standard
White Balance: R-Gain -4, G-Gain -3, B-Gain -2, R-Bias 0, G-Bias 0, B-Bias -1

A few things that i'd like to add. In the advanced picture menu there's an option for SBM. It smooths out color banding by upscaling the image from 8 to 14 bit pixel depth, but does so by also removing fine detail. It also upscales the color, similiar to deep color, and makes everything look a little over saturated. Skin tones take on a more orange look for example. If you want an accurate picture, I believe you should turn it off. I also noticed that in game mode the dynamic backlight doesn't operate as much. It's still on when set to standard, but it not as aggressive to minimize lag. You may see a little flashlighting as a result.

Try my settings. I think you'll like em. If the pictures too dark just turn the gamma up.

Which picture mode are you using?
post #1468 of 2227 Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post

Here are the settings that I posted before. A lot of people like to turn the eco off but I set mine to low. It makes for a much deeper black level. You have to turn up the contrast all the way, but doing so results in video processing brightness levels of 100 cdm/2. My gamma settings of -2 results in a flat 2.4 gamma reading. It's dark, but I determined it using the itu bt. 1886 gamma calculator on this site. Here's a little info. http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.1886-0-201103-I!!PDF-E.pdf For srgb sources(video games) I use -1 gamma, as thats the proper setting according to the calculator. As far as all the other video processing like noise reduction I have off because they just soften the picture.

Eco: Low-extremely important for really low black level and for eliminating those nasty flashlight effects

Scene select: Cinema
Backlight: Min
Picture: Max
Brightness: 51
Color: 50
Hue: G1
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 25
All noise reduction and Reality creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 2

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Turn off all picture enhancement settings: Adv. Contrast, Clear White etc.
Gamma: -2
Led Dynamic Control: Standard
White Balance: R-Gain -4, G-Gain -3, B-Gain -2, R-Bias 0, G-Bias 0, B-Bias -1

A few things that i'd like to add. In the advanced picture menu there's an option for SBM. It smooths out color banding by upscaling the image from 8 to 14 bit pixel depth, but does so by also removing fine detail. It also upscales the color, similiar to deep color, and makes everything look a little over saturated. Skin tones take on a more orange look for example. If you want an accurate picture, I believe you should turn it off. I also noticed that in game mode the dynamic backlight doesn't operate as much. It's still on when set to standard, but it not as aggressive to minimize lag. You may see a little flashlighting as a result.

Try my settings. I think you'll like em. If the pictures too dark just turn the gamma up.

I don't get why people like these settings. I might be missing something out here. First, the picture is way too dark, even in a pitch black room. Blacks a black but so is the screen. A gamma of -2 makes no sens either. You are crushing all shadow details with this. I think gamma should remains at zero.

Those settings makes the picture dimmer than a plasma and crush shadow details. At least that what is going on on my set.
post #1469 of 2227 Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I don't get why people like these settings. I might be missing something out here. First, the picture is way too dark, even in a pitch black room. Blacks a black but so is the screen. A gamma of -2 makes no sens either. You are crushing all shadow details with this. I think gamma should remains at zero.

Those settings makes the picture dimmer than a plasma and crush shadow details. At least that what is going on on my set.

I have tried gamma at -1 and -2 and in my case gamma -2 is way too dark, the loss of shadow details don't justify the deeper Blacks. With Gamma -1 the shadow detail loss is much less and the blacks are very good but I don't like the overall look of the picture (even in a pitch black room), its like the PQ loss pop. In my case I prefer gamma at 0 (I guess is close to 2.2) because I rather have all my shadow detail with what is excelent blacks for a LED tv IMO, and a PQ that is not as dim as a plasma. At the end is a personal choice of what is you like, but I still think you could use gamma -1 but gamma -2 is too dark and you are losing to much shadow detail.
post #1470 of 2227 Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

I have tried gamma at -1 and -2 and in my case gamma -2 is way too dark, the loss of shadow details don't justify the deeper Blacks. With Gamma -1 the shadow detail loss is much less and the blacks are very good but I don't like the overall look of the picture (even in a pitch black room), its like the PQ loss pop. In my case I prefer gamma at 0 (I guess is close to 2.2) because I rather have all my shadow detail with what is excelent blacks for a LED tv IMO, and a PQ that is not as dim as a plasma. At the end is a personal choice of what is you like, but I still think you could use gamma -1 but gamma -2 is too dark and you are losing to much shadow detail.

I agree with you. anything below zero gamma on this set, even in a pitch black room, isn't great for shadow details.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page