Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 2227 Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Member
 
fegam2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by phargrave View Post

Hi fegam2,

I agree completley with your settings, out of interest what "other" settings do you use i.e brightness, contrast, colour etc.....

wink.gif

Right now I have it on cinema 1 default with little variations but next week (when at last I'll have more time from busy days at work) I'll do a full calibration of the set using the Disney WOW and Spearls and Mussil calibrations blu-rays. When I have dial in my final settings I will gladly share them here along with some notes of my preferences for day settings and night settings, and settings for cable, blu-ray, and game.
phargrave likes this.
fegam2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 2227 Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Member
 
ReaperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i hope to be a member of this thread shortly .. will be buying the 46HX850 in the next week or two .. how are people finding this display for gaming ? namely PS3 and/or PC gaming .. how is the 3D for gaming particularly?

Thanks all ! .. was looking at HX750 but have been offered a great deal on the HX850 cool.gif
ReaperZ is offline  
post #1623 of 2227 Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have a 46" HX850. I've had it for about three months. Recently, the power supple (I think that's what it's called) in the TV broke. I now have to send it back for repairs. Problem is, I don't have the original box it came in, so I have to get a box that it will fit in. I was wondering if someone could measure their box and let me know so I can don't have to test a bunch of boxes. I would really really appreciate it!
littlekobald is offline  
post #1624 of 2227 Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Member
 
ReaperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekobald View Post

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have a 46" HX850. I've had it for about three months. Recently, the power supple (I think that's what it's called) in the TV broke. I now have to send it back for repairs. Problem is, I don't have the original box it came in, so I have to get a box that it will fit in. I was wondering if someone could measure their box and let me know so I can don't have to test a bunch of boxes. I would really really appreciate it!

can you not measure the tv and add a few cm either side ? if you dont have measuring device im sure the specs are available online :-)

do you still have the padding that the tv came with , or did you dispose of that with the box ? measure the foam if you have it and add that to the tv size, or just add 2-3cm to each dimension of the TV and use some form of packaging, my suggestion would be towels.

hope this helps smile.gif

Edit .. did some research and found this on the sony site.. they even state the box size ! yay!


Measurements (Approx.)

Package Carton (W x H x D) : 61 1/8 x 29 1/8 x 5 1/4 inches (1550 x 738 x 132 mm)
TV only (W x H x D) : 42 3/8 x 25 1/5 x 1 3/8(1 1/4) inch (1077 x 640 x 35(32) mm)
TV with Stand (W x H x D) : 42 3/8 x 27 4/9 x 10 5/9 inch (1077x697x268 mm)
ReaperZ is offline  
post #1625 of 2227 Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekobald View Post

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have a 46" HX850. I've had it for about three months. Recently, the power supple (I think that's what it's called) in the TV broke. I now have to send it back for repairs. Problem is, I don't have the original box it came in, so I have to get a box that it will fit in. I was wondering if someone could measure their box and let me know so I can don't have to test a bunch of boxes. I would really really appreciate it!

from who are you getting your service ? Sony should dispatch a technician directly to you to replace it at your home. If you got a warranty from someone else, they should as well. I mean at 46", you usually get home service.
Guibs is offline  
post #1626 of 2227 Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Member
 
fegam2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperZ View Post

i hope to be a member of this thread shortly .. will be buying the 46HX850 in the next week or two .. how are people finding this display for gaming ? namely PS3 and/or PC gaming .. how is the 3D for gaming particularly?

Thanks all ! .. was looking at HX750 but have been offered a great deal on the HX850 cool.gif

Its fine for ps3 and xbox360, don't know for PC or 3D gaming but I guess is alright. The HX850 is far more superior than the HX750 in every respect, the picture quality is excelent. So don't think about it to much and get the HX850. If the deal is for a new set go for it and if it is for a floor model you should inspect the tv very carefully before buying
fegam2 is offline  
post #1627 of 2227 Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Member
 
jtown017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this stand for my tv (sub463s).

I just wanted to provide feedback for it if anyone was interested. It does produce a 5 degree tilt. Once setup, at first I was worried I wouldnt like it. But after the first viewing I barely notice a tilt and love it. The sleek design makes the monolithic design of the tv even better.

Now for the sound, yes it is an upgrade over the tv speakers but I am not sure if it would be a sound bar.

Overall I am happy with the stand!
jtown017 is offline  
post #1628 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
jpeezay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

So after painstakingly reading all posts from page 1 through the last one, here are my 2-cents worth.

My gf and I bought a 46 in December instead of worrying about Christmas gifts and we love it. After some hesitation, I finally got the nerve to run the Disney WOW BD - took me a while to face the possibility of noting new issues. Overall, everything is good with the exception of the following:

- some minor flashlighting in bottom right/left (so barely noticeable that I often wonder if I am just imagining things when my eye pulls to the corners to double check yet again - probably my OCD as my gf claims I'm crazy). I played around the settings quite a bit and tried a few posted on here, but it persists. Gf won't let me open up the case to play with the screws so I guess I'll have to live with it!

- whites - can't seem to get a good contrast setting on the Disney WOW BD for the whites without killing the blacks. I've been playing around for the last 3 months with the settings so I'm fairly familiar with the menus. Does anyone know what settings have the most impact on the whites? Brightness, contrast, backlight, Eco... Anything else I'm missing?

- dead pixels... Found a couple, had a heart attack, my gf blew on the screen and they floated further down the screen... Whew!

- motionflow/cinemotion: for the life of me I can't find a "perfect" setting combination here. Sony manual is pure garbage and just when I feel like it's good, next BD skips when panning in scenes. After adjustment, the next BD blurs durin similar content. Currently on clear plus and auto 1. My question here is to what extent can this be influenced by the source an are there any settings on my BD player that I should really examine? I'm only picky when it comes to BD Content as I cable provider signal quality may vary from channel to channel. Maybe HDMI cable is the issue??? Not sure...

- what in the world does SBM do?

- some artifacting on the hyperbola test on the Disney disk. Played with everything I could think of but couldn't get rid of it. Interestingly though, this test made me finally abandon reality creation for good as the test would go haywire with it on...

Overall, we are really happy and the more tv's we see at our friends' houses that also bought new ones in 2012, the more we are content with making the right decision in the end (I believe the psychology term is "confirmation bias" ;-) ). The biggest problem is that we are watching so much more tv now... EVERYTHING just looks so much better than our old tv...
jpeezay is offline  
post #1629 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up 46" hx850 yesterday I found a store that had 2 left!! smile.gif this TV is incredible, ill be playing with the settings for weeks if not longer now lol. My question is what 3D glasses are most of you using? The PS3 ones? can someone post a link thanks.
hingerson is offline  
post #1630 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezay View Post

Hey Guys,

So after painstakingly reading all posts from page 1 through the last one, here are my 2-cents worth.

My gf and I bought a 46 in December instead of worrying about Christmas gifts and we love it. After some hesitation, I finally got the nerve to run the Disney WOW BD - took me a while to face the possibility of noting new issues. Overall, everything is good with the exception of the following:

- some minor flashlighting in bottom right/left (so barely noticeable that I often wonder if I am just imagining things when my eye pulls to the corners to double check yet again - probably my OCD as my gf claims I'm crazy). I played around the settings quite a bit and tried a few posted on here, but it persists. Gf won't let me open up the case to play with the screws so I guess I'll have to live with it!

- whites - can't seem to get a good contrast setting on the Disney WOW BD for the whites without killing the blacks. I've been playing around for the last 3 months with the settings so I'm fairly familiar with the menus. Does anyone know what settings have the most impact on the whites? Brightness, contrast, backlight, Eco... Anything else I'm missing?

- dead pixels... Found a couple, had a heart attack, my gf blew on the screen and they floated further down the screen... Whew!

- motionflow/cinemotion: for the life of me I can't find a "perfect" setting combination here. Sony manual is pure garbage and just when I feel like it's good, next BD skips when panning in scenes. After adjustment, the next BD blurs durin similar content. Currently on clear plus and auto 1. My question here is to what extent can this be influenced by the source an are there any settings on my BD player that I should really examine? I'm only picky when it comes to BD Content as I cable provider signal quality may vary from channel to channel. Maybe HDMI cable is the issue??? Not sure...

- what in the world does SBM do?

- some artifacting on the hyperbola test on the Disney disk. Played with everything I could think of but couldn't get rid of it. Interestingly though, this test made me finally abandon reality creation for good as the test would go haywire with it on...

Overall, we are really happy and the more tv's we see at our friends' houses that also bought new ones in 2012, the more we are content with making the right decision in the end (I believe the psychology term is "confirmation bias" ;-) ). The biggest problem is that we are watching so much more tv now... EVERYTHING just looks so much better than our old tv...

bottom corners with flashlighting is unfortunately common. It's a matter of getting the one with the least amount of it. Personally, I decided to live with my hx850 #3 out of 5 which was the best of the bunch. I added some bias lighting in the back too as well. I would concur that it seems the flashlithing does improve with time. It seems now that often even on black bars, I cannot notice it anymore. That with the bias lighting is helping a little.

as for the setting for motionflow/cinemotion, for regular TV, I'm going with Motionflow set to standard and cinemotion set to auto1. cinemotion to auto1 growed on me. It's one of the least invasive "soap opera" effect from the few manufacturer I've seen. You do get sometimes the soap opera effect but it's not common and in your face like Samsung.

For Bluray, I have cinemotion set to auto2 (which I think handles 24P) and motionflow again on Standard.

At all time, leave Dynamic Led to Standard. Only time I have it on low is on game mode for video games to reduce the flashlighting (which is a bit more visible in gamemode).
Guibs is offline  
post #1631 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown017 View Post

The W900a wont come in a 46" like the 850 tho correct?

And how much will the W900a cost from launch

FWIW, B&H Photo Video--an authorized Sony retailer--has the KDL-55W900a listed (but not for order yet) at $2,798.00.

Based on last year's model prices, that would seem a very likely launch price point IMHO.
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #1632 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Member
 
bbydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's. $200 more than msrp for the 850
bbydon is offline  
post #1633 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Member
 
fegam2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post

I just picked up 46" hx850 yesterday I found a store that had 2 left!! smile.gif this TV is incredible, ill be playing with the settings for weeks if not longer now lol. My question is what 3D glasses are most of you using? The PS3 ones? can someone post a link thanks.

Get the PS3 glasses they're only $23 in amazon and they work perfectly for me
fegam2 is offline  
post #1634 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Member
 
ieatbugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone know how to get into the Service Menu on this tv?
ieatbugs is offline  
post #1635 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

bottom corners with flashlighting is unfortunately common. It's a matter of getting the one with the least amount of it. Personally, I decided to live with my hx850 #3 out of 5 which was the best of the bunch. I added some bias lighting in the back too as well. I would concur that it seems the flashlithing does improve with time. It seems now that often even on black bars, I cannot notice it anymore. That with the bias lighting is helping a little.

as for the setting for motionflow/cinemotion, for regular TV, I'm going with Motionflow set to standard and cinemotion set to auto1. cinemotion to auto1 growed on me. It's one of the least invasive "soap opera" effect from the few manufacturer I've seen. You do get sometimes the soap opera effect but it's not common and in your face like Samsung.

For Bluray, I have cinemotion set to auto2 (which I think handles 24P) and motionflow again on Standard.

At all time, leave Dynamic Led to Standard. Only time I have it on low is on game mode for video games to reduce the flashlighting (which is a bit more visible in gamemode).

Doesn't the 850 only exhibit flashlighting/uneven screen uniformity when in the Sony Menu? At least that's what I'd heard. I have the 950 that has some bad screen uniformity when in the menu because of local dimming getting disabled. When watching regular content it's all black and perfectly even. I thought the 850 did the same thing in the menu?
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #1636 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Doesn't the 850 only exhibit flashlighting/uneven screen uniformity when in the Sony Menu? At least that's what I'd heard. I have the 950 that has some bad screen uniformity when in the menu because of local dimming getting disabled. When watching regular content it's all black and perfectly even. I thought the 850 did the same thing in the menu?

Yes it's the same. In Sony's menu, screen uniformity will show more. Outside of menu, since its edge led, most of the screen uniformity will be hidden with dynamic led but some are still visible,especially flashlighting in corners (although its reduce). It depends on your unit. Some have better uniformity than others.

On thing the hx850 doesn't have as much as the hx950 is halos.
HaRd2BeAr likes this.
Guibs is offline  
post #1637 of 2227 Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Newbie
 
Gunzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny, I see absolutely nothing in the corners that's been talked about here over and over again....it's perfect. I'll rate my set a 9.5/10 because I will see some clouding/banding/"whatever uneven screen term" only on a hockey games and even then if you're not actually looking for it and enjoying the game like you're supposed to then it's a non issue. I really think a lot of people here ought to start enjoying life and it's rewards rather than living in obscurity looking for problems that don't matter.
Gunzzz is offline  
post #1638 of 2227 Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Newbie
 
jpeezay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gunzzz, I fully agree with you. The flashlighting is so minimal that I second-guess myself about it all the time. I guess when you go for a "flagship" set and you lay out a decent coin to get it, you expect things to be perfect. That's why after buying 2 calibration blu rays I didn't use them for 3 months. In the end, who cares if your preferences are more blue or red from the "true" color set-up. If you enjoy it the way it is, enjoy it. I see the settings more as an art form rather than a science ( even though it is a science) .

Guibbs, thanks for the reply. I will give auto 2 another try.

Just curious, has anyone found a detailed explanation of the settings anywhere? I was expecting to get a thick manual with the set that explained all the things in detail (e.g. Which setting handles 24p, how the frames are spliced etc.) the i-manual is so basic that it's completely useless. Is there a PDF dowload or something somewhere? I couldn't find one anywhere but saw some people mentioning on this thread that they got a hard copy version.
jpeezay is offline  
post #1639 of 2227 Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Newbie
 
jpeezay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A
jpeezay is offline  
post #1640 of 2227 Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Newbie
 
ZELSONY55HX850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all.

I have a major problem with my new SONY 55 HX850. I just bought it yesterday 17 Feb 2013 and i watch it just approximately 3~4 hour when it suddenly turn off and (standby) indicator blinks twice each interval (red colour). It is like it enters into safe mode I assumed. After that I call the sales person regarding this and his answer is just turn off the plug and unplugged, wait for an hour and try to press the source button again. So I did what he advised not only one hour but until this morning but it fail to start again. When I press the source button I only heard a click sound at the back near the source cable and the television (standby) indicator just blinks twice again in red. I also have plug it direct to the AC power (mains) at home without using extension plug but still fail and blinks twice. (This was stated in the manual troubleshooting).

Please anyone help me what is the problem???!!!!!!

Anyway the sales person stated there will be a technician coming to solve this today. I hope so.
ZELSONY55HX850 is offline  
post #1641 of 2227 Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Member
 
bullpuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZELSONY55HX850 View Post

Dear all.

I have a major problem with my new SONY 55 HX850. I just bought it yesterday 17 Feb 2013 and i watch it just approximately 3~4 hour when it suddenly turn off and (standby) indicator blinks twice each interval (red colour). It is like it enters into safe mode I assumed. After that I call the sales person regarding this and his answer is just turn off the plug and unplugged, wait for an hour and try to press the source button again. So I did what he advised not only one hour but until this morning but it fail to start again. When I press the source button I only heard a click sound at the back near the source cable and the television (standby) indicator just blinks twice again in red. I also have plug it direct to the AC power (mains) at home without using extension plug but still fail and blinks twice. (This was stated in the manual troubleshooting).

Please anyone help me what is the problem???!!!!!!

Anyway the sales person stated there will be a technician coming to solve this today. I hope so.


Try to get an exchange if possible................bwoy the quality control from these tv manufactures have gone downhill indeed. No matter how much money you spend its like playing the lotto to get a decent set, hope you can get it fixed. I bought one 2 weeks ago and i have a little clouding and some flash lighting from the right side of the panel......but i am scared to even try and get an exchange, because i might get something even worse.
bullpuss is online now  
post #1642 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
aztony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpuss View Post

Try to get an exchange if possible................bwoy the quality control from these tv manufactures have gone downhill indeed. No matter how much money you spend its like playing the lotto to get a decent set, hope you can get it fixed. I bought one 2 weeks ago and i have a little clouding and some flash lighting from the right side of the panel......but i am scared to even try and get an exchange, because i might get something even worse.

IMO you're thinking about it the wrong way. You could also get a better set, one that you're happy with, not one that you settled for. If you get one that's worse, then take that one back, etc, etc, etc.... until you get one that works the way you want it too. That's the only way these companies are going to learn that we consumers aren't going to settle on bad workmanship.
aztony is offline  
post #1643 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Gunzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZELSONY55HX850 View Post

Dear all.

I have a major problem with my new SONY 55 HX850. I just bought it yesterday 17 Feb 2013 and i watch it just approximately 3~4 hour when it suddenly turn off and (standby) indicator blinks twice each interval (red colour). It is like it enters into safe mode I assumed. After that I call the sales person regarding this and his answer is just turn off the plug and unplugged, wait for an hour and try to press the source button again. So I did what he advised not only one hour but until this morning but it fail to start again. When I press the source button I only heard a click sound at the back near the source cable and the television (standby) indicator just blinks twice again in red. I also have plug it direct to the AC power (mains) at home without using extension plug but still fail and blinks twice. (This was stated in the manual troubleshooting).

Please anyone help me what is the problem???!!!!!!

Anyway the sales person stated there will be a technician coming to solve this today. I hope so.

Make sure your firmware version is up to date on the TV. Easy enough to download duirn an install.
Gunzzz is offline  
post #1644 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzzz View Post

Funny, I see absolutely nothing in the corners that's been talked about here over and over again....it's perfect. I'll rate my set a 9.5/10 because I will see some clouding/banding/"whatever uneven screen term" only on a hockey games and even then if you're not actually looking for it and enjoying the game like you're supposed to then it's a non issue. I really think a lot of people here ought to start enjoying life and it's rewards rather than living in obscurity looking for problems that don't matter.

Would it be possible for you to let us know your manufacturing date and manufacture location?

It seems the flashlighting issue is a bit more present on newer models. The 5 46HX850 I tried were all manufactured in october 2012 and were all manufactured in mexico.

Often, when a new model comes, they pay special attention to quality and often they are build in better facility. As the year goes buy, quality isn't as checked as it was before and often production is moved to lower cost facility.

Anyway, this is something I've notice from my personal experience. The store models I saw in store where produce much sonner and didn't show flashlighting.
Guibs is offline  
post #1645 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZELSONY55HX850 View Post

Dear all.

I have a major problem with my new SONY 55 HX850. I just bought it yesterday 17 Feb 2013 and i watch it just approximately 3~4 hour when it suddenly turn off and (standby) indicator blinks twice each interval (red colour). It is like it enters into safe mode I assumed. After that I call the sales person regarding this and his answer is just turn off the plug and unplugged, wait for an hour and try to press the source button again. So I did what he advised not only one hour but until this morning but it fail to start again. When I press the source button I only heard a click sound at the back near the source cable and the television (standby) indicator just blinks twice again in red. I also have plug it direct to the AC power (mains) at home without using extension plug but still fail and blinks twice. (This was stated in the manual troubleshooting).

Please anyone help me what is the problem???!!!!!!

Anyway the sales person stated there will be a technician coming to solve this today. I hope so.

Not sure at which store you bought it but this is signs fo a defective TV. If I was you, I'd request a replacement if possible. It all depends on what you want. How satisfied are you with the picture, banding, DSE and Clouding/flashlighting. If your unit doesn't show any of these issues, it might be worth sticking with a repair by a Sony authorized dealer. Getting a replacement could give you a TV with issues like the ones I've stated.
Guibs is offline  
post #1646 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Newbie
 
phargrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought my 55 was not too bad in respect of flashlighting, but I watched Sinister tonight on Blu ray in low lighting conditions and the flashlighting was very bad indeed. I have had this tv for 3 months now and this is the worst I have seen it perform, I have all "gimmicks" turned off and LED Dynamic control at Standard with backlight setting at 4 (on clear) anyone else had this problem with very dark films or know of a good compromise:(
phargrave is offline  
post #1647 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by phargrave View Post

I thought my 55 was not too bad in respect of flashlighting, but I watched Sinister tonight on Blu ray in low lighting conditions and the flashlighting was very bad indeed. I have had this tv for 3 months now and this is the worst I have seen it perform, I have all "gimmicks" turned off and LED Dynamic control at Standard with backlight setting at 4 (on clear) anyone else had this problem with very dark films or know of a good compromise:(

LED lights on the back of the tv, works a treat ; )
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #1648 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Newbie
 
Gunzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Would it be possible for you to let us know your manufacturing date and manufacture location?

.

Aug 2012 - mexico.
Gunzzz is offline  
post #1649 of 2227 Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phargrave View Post

I thought my 55 was not too bad in respect of flashlighting, but I watched Sinister tonight on Blu ray in low lighting conditions and the flashlighting was very bad indeed. I have had this tv for 3 months now and this is the worst I have seen it perform, I have all "gimmicks" turned off and LED Dynamic control at Standard with backlight setting at 4 (on clear) anyone else had this problem with very dark films or know of a good compromise:(

I'd say you have similar setting than me, the difference is that I have my backlit set to 3 with motionflow set to standard.

On bluray movies though, in dark, I have my backlit set on only 1 (cinema scene). Bluray have more details so I find the backlit to 1 good enough since the source is great. For regular TV though (scene General), I prefer a backlit of 3 since some TV show are pretty dark and I'm missing too much on shadow details. a Backlit of 3 seems a good compromise.

So I'd say, for movies in the dark, try reducing the backlit. It should help lower the flashlighting, hopefully to a point where you don't notice it anymore.

Dynamic LED set to standard is a must though.
phargrave likes this.
Guibs is offline  
post #1650 of 2227 Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Member
 
ieatbugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I'd say you have similar setting than me, the difference is that I have my backlit set to 3 with motionflow set to standard.

On bluray movies though, in dark, I have my backlit set on only 1 (cinema scene). Bluray have more details so I find the backlit to 1 good enough since the source is great. For regular TV though (scene General), I prefer a backlit of 3 since some TV show are pretty dark and I'm missing too much on shadow details. a Backlit of 3 seems a good compromise.

So I'd say, for movies in the dark, try reducing the backlit. It should help lower the flashlighting, hopefully to a point where you don't notice it anymore.

Dynamic LED set to standard is a must though.

how do you guys have backlight so low? Even in a completely dark room, if you watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes, anything less than backlight of 5 seems too dark for me. I use cinema1, ECO off, led standard. The good thing is I don't have any flashlighting either way.
ieatbugs is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off