Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 2229 Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
W900A thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458698/official-sony-kdl-55w900a-owners-thread

my HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2229 Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I got my second 55" hx850 today five months after my first, Just a heads up in Australia the HX850 is dwindling most stores only had 2 to three or none, I myself could not bear to wait for the new w900a sure it had the fancy menu system and more colours, but it ain't got the monolithic design something which I love. These two sets should tie me over until 4k goes mainstream and is in 3 to 4k bracket hopefully till than sony will bring back glass again.
post #1713 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just started up some 3D content for the first time on the HX850, using the Playstation 3D glasses, and noticed some crosstalk here and there. Is that par for the course with this TV or is there some settings or other glasses that can minimize it further?

Edit: I did a little searching and someone suggested lowering the depth setting. I'll search for that option later today - I didn't see it when I was adjusting the picture originally - after the glasses charge.

I'm certainly not going to return the TV just because of some crosstalk, though. Everything I've read said the Sony is the best 2D, motion and backlight performer for LED HDTVs in that price range, and it certainly looks it. Still, I hope I can reduce the crosstalk effect a bit.

Edit 2: Adjusting the 3D distance on my Pansonic BDT220 player helped reduce the crosstalk. Yay! It seems to depend on the scene, though.
post #1714 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

I just started up some 3D content for the first time on the HX850, using the Playstation 3D glasses, and noticed some crosstalk here and there. Is that par for the course with this TV or is there some settings or other glasses that can minimize it further?

Edit: I did a little searching and someone suggested lowering the depth setting. I'll search for that option later today - I didn't see it when I was adjusting the picture originally - after the glasses charge.

I'm certainly not going to return the TV just because of some crosstalk, though. Everything I've read said the Sony is the best 2D, motion and backlight performer for LED HDTVs in that price range, and it certainly looks it. Still, I hope I can reduce the crosstalk effect a bit.

Edit 2: Adjusting the 3D distance on my Pansonic BDT220 player helped reduce the crosstalk. Yay! It seems to depend on the scene, though.

Here are some settings for 3d viewing http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-kdl-55hx850-3d-lcd-hdtv-settings
post #1715 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

Here are some settings for 3d viewing http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-kdl-55hx850-3d-lcd-hdtv-settings

Thanks, I'll give those a try for the next movie I watch! I was using the Cinema preset and didn't touch any other settings. I changed the depth setting on my player, and that helped some, but there was still a lot of crosstalk elsewhere depending on the camera focus. That disappointed me a bit, and while part of me is considering other TVs for 3D (because the effect was really fun in the first movie I watched, Tangled), I also realize I'm not going to be spending the majority of my time watching 3D.

The other two movies I bought for 3D were Prometheus and Hugo. I think I'll watch Prometheus next. I hear its 3D effects are also great.

Edit: Where's the 3D Adjustment setting on the TV itself ? I looked but couldn't find it. Or are those listed 3D settings on the page just general player settings?

And how do the PlayStation 3 3D glasses compare to their regular and Titanium 3D glasses?
post #1716 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm having an issue with my 55HX850. When I try to use the internet apps: Crackle, YouTube, Pandora, etc... it says "acquiring internet content" goes through the process then says "configuration failed". I checked my network setup and all says OK. This started last week. Not sure if it was after the TV updated or not, as I have it set to automatic update. The widgets work, SEN works, and the internet browser works.
post #1717 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone using the Playstation 3 3D glasses with the HX850? They are selling for 20$. 3D isn't really something I'm that interested but at 20$, they are very affordable. From what I can read, it seems the 3D is good with the glasses, wondering if any of you had some on hand experience with the HX850.
post #1718 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Anyone using the Playstation 3 3D glasses with the HX850? They are selling for 20$. 3D isn't really something I'm that interested but at 20$, they are very affordable. From what I can read, it seems the 3D is good with the glasses, wondering if any of you had some on hand experience with the HX850.

Those are the glasses I picked up for use with my HX850. They're a little uncomfortable, but I use prescription glasses. The other person who watched a 3D movie with me doesn't wear prescription glasses and didn't have that problem. They worked well enough, but as I wrote above I did see a bit of crosstalk in Tangled and when I demoed Prometheus. The settings I've tried so far haven't eliminated that artifact.
post #1719 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Those are the glasses I picked up for use with my HX850. They're a little uncomfortable, but I use prescription glasses. The other person who watched a 3D movie with me doesn't wear prescription glasses and didn't have that problem. They worked well enough, but as I wrote above I did see a bit of crosstalk in Tangled and when I demoed Prometheus. The settings I've tried so far haven't eliminated that artifact.

Must be something wrong with your set. Yes, it is normal to see some crosstalk, but both Prometheus and Tangled have absolutely ZERO crosstalk. Two of the most flawless 3D presentations available. I have an HX950 but I can't imagine the 3D being any different. I own over 75 3D blus and can tell you which ones to expect to see some crosstalk, but Prometheus and Tangled have zero if your display is working correctly.

Also, the PS3 are the best to use when wearing over prescription glasses since they are bigger and the top of the glasses are cradled over your regular and not rubbing up against like the others.
post #1720 of 2229 Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Must be something wrong with your set. Yes, it is normal to see some crosstalk, but both Prometheus and Tangled have absolutely ZERO crosstalk. Two of the most flawless 3D presentations available. I have an HX950 but I can't imagine the 3D being any different. I own over 75 3D blus and can tell you which ones to expect to see some crosstalk, but Prometheus and Tangled have zero if your display is working correctly.

Also, the PS3 are the best to use when wearing over prescription glasses since they are bigger and the top of the glasses are cradled over your regular and not rubbing up against like the others.

Agh, I hope not. I don't want to have to head back to the store with this. It was the only one they had left, too.

Is there anything else I can try to reduce crosstalk? Could it be the player I used (Panasonic BDT220) or some strange setting? Since I don't have a 3D receiver, I have the devices playing the 3D contact connected directly to the TV with an HDMI cable for video, with an optical cable running from the devices to the receiver for audio.

The crosstalk I was seeing depended on how far the object was and what depth setting I had the player set to. In an early scene in Prometheus, David is in the cockpit opening the blast doors, and you see a moon in the distance. That had a lot of crosstalk until I set the depth to around +2. That had the negative effect of making close objects have more crosstalk, however.

I also just tried Skyrim in Nvidia 3DTV Play. I could spot a lot of crosstalk there, too.
post #1721 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Agh, I hope not. I don't want to have to head back to the store with this. It was the only one they had left, too.

Is there anything else I can try to reduce crosstalk? Could it be the player I used (Panasonic BDT220) or some strange setting? Since I don't have a 3D receiver, I have the devices playing the 3D contact connected directly to the TV with an HDMI cable for video, with an optical cable running from the devices to the receiver for audio.

The crosstalk I was seeing depended on how far the object was and what depth setting I had the player set to. In an early scene in Prometheus, David is in the cockpit opening the blast doors, and you see a moon in the distance. That had a lot of crosstalk until I set the depth to around +2. That had the negative effect of making close objects have more crosstalk, however.

I also just tried Skyrim in Nvidia 3DTV Play. I could spot a lot of crosstalk there, too.

What brightness setting do you have your 3D glasses on? I've noticed the brighter the glasses, the more crosstalk I see. Also, I would leave the depth settings alone as it will only cause problems. What may look good for one scene, will look terrible for another and I also find it to actually blur certain parts of the picture and you lose some detail.

As far as games are concerned, I wouldn't even mess with it. Way too much crosstalk no matter what you do. I've been through so many different tv's these past couple years, I've lost count. If you want the best 3D experience, either go with an LG Passive set or the Samsung 8000 series LEDS. The only problem with that, the 2D picture quality won't be as good as the Sony. This is coming from someone who has owned them all and finally settled on the Sony for now. I feel that it gives an amazing 2D picture with the right settings and a 3D experience good enough to satisfy my needs. Let me know if you have any questions.

post #1722 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

What brightness setting do you have your 3D glasses on? I've noticed the brighter the glasses, the more crosstalk I see. Also, I would leave the depth settings alone as it will only cause problems. What may look good for one scene, will look terrible for another and I also find it to actually blur certain parts of the picture and you lose some detail.

As far as games are concerned, I wouldn't even mess with it. Way too much crosstalk no matter what you do. I've been through so many different tv's these past couple years, I've lost count. If you want the best 3D experience, either go with an LG Passive set or the Samsung 8000 series LEDS. The only problem with that, the 2D picture quality won't be as good as the Sony. This is coming from someone who has owned them all and finally settled on the Sony for now. I feel that it gives an amazing 2D picture with the right settings and a 3D experience good enough to satisfy my needs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Minus the 60ES8000. Weakest 3D of all the ES sizes due to the different panel used. Riddled with excessive crosstalk and 3D errors on backgrounds (ie....clouds sometimes appearing in foreground instead of background). The 55 and 65 siblings do not display these same 3D anomalies.
post #1723 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Converting something like Skyrim to 3D will produce crosstalk so that is normal. What had me puzzled is the crosstalk in Prometheus you mention. Have you tried another pair of the PS3 glasses in case yours are defective? Are they fully charged? You shouldn't need to make any adjustments to the 3D settings. As you discovered, that can makes things even more screwy.

Again, I have the 950... but I can't imagine 3D being different between the two crosstalk wise. What other 3D movies do you have to test? I'll be able to point out specific scenes that should or shouldn't have crosstalk with the 2012 Sony tvs.
post #1724 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Converting something like Skyrim to 3D will produce crosstalk so that is normal. What had me puzzled is the crosstalk in Prometheus you mention. Have you tried another pair of the PS3 glasses in case yours are defective? Are they fully charged? You shouldn't need to make any adjustments to the 3D settings. As you discovered, that can makes things even more screwy.

Again, I have the 950... but I can't imagine 3D being different between the two crosstalk wise. What other 3D movies do you have to test? I'll be able to point out specific scenes that should or shouldn't have crosstalk with the 2012 Sony tvs.

I also have Prometheus on 3-D Blu-ray. I'll test it with my 55HX850 and see if I can find any crosstalk.

I thought the 950 had better processing power than the 850. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I figured the 950 would have slightly better 3-D.

post #1725 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have Prometheus on 3-D Blu-ray. I'll test it with my 55HX850 and see if I can find any crosstalk.

I thought the 950 had better processing power than the 850. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I figured the 950 would have slightly better 3-D.

Let me know your results. I'm definitely curious as to if there is a difference now. Also... 950 is not crosstalk free. There are times I notice it, but significantly less than with the 65VT50 or 60ES8000. The 65ES8000 had the best 3D but the horrendous vertical banding ruined the 3D presentation. 65HX950 close second to 65ES8000 crosstalk wise, but just a smidgen more.
post #1726 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM

I'm curious about JewDaddy's results, too, especially in that same Prometheus scene. I also tried a different player and the other pair of PS3 3D glasses I had, but the results were the same. Perhaps the HX850 just has some crosstalk to deal with. I went back and re-read reviews of the TV and they all mentioned crosstalk. At the time I just thought it was the pair of glasses they used (the official 250 or Titanium sets), since none of them were using the PS3 3D glasses which were said to reduce crosstalk and tilt/color issues due to a polarizing filter the others lacked.

That visual artifact is never enough to ruin the movie, but I'm the kind of person that looks for and spots errors. And as much as I want a perfect 3D presentation, it doesn't sound like that quite exists yet? My other choice was the ES7100+ line of Samsung TVs. According to you, cmay, they have their own distracting 3D issues.

2D is still where most of my time is going to be spent, and damn does the HX850 have a good image. I've been hooking my computer up to it for PC gaming, too. It makes those games come to life in ways my monitor could never do. I especially like Motionflow enabled when playing PC games. So smooth!
post #1727 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious about JewDaddy's results, too, especially in that same Prometheus scene. I also tried a different player and the other pair of PS3 3D glasses I had, but the results were the same. Perhaps the HX850 just has some crosstalk to deal with. I went back and re-read reviews of the TV and they all mentioned crosstalk. At the time I just thought it was the pair of glasses they used (the official 250 or Titanium sets), since none of them were using the PS3 3D glasses which were said to reduce crosstalk and tilt/color issues due to a polarizing filter the others lacked.

That visual artifact is never enough to ruin the movie, but I'm the kind of person that looks for and spots errors. And as much as I want a perfect 3D presentation, it doesn't sound like that quite exists yet? My other choice was the ES7100+ line of Samsung TVs. According to you, cmay, they have their own distracting 3D issues.

2D is still where most of my time is going to be spent, and damn does the HX850 have a good image. I've been hooking my computer up to it for PC gaming, too. It makes those games come to life in ways my monitor could never do. I especially like Motionflow enabled when playing PC games. So smooth!

My Samsung experience is with the 60 and 65 ES8000 models, so I can't comment on the 7100 line as I have no first hand experience with them.

As I mentioned, even the 950 has some crosstalk, so you are right in that there is no perfect 3D presentation unless the 84x900v1 has it due to being passive but still over 1080p for each eye.
post #1728 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM

I'm going to wait to read JewDaddy's results, but I just found an earlier post in the thread by apocReg who described a lot of crosstalk, as well, and linked to a crosstalk image test. His HX850 performed poor in it in the same way as mine did. Unfortunately, he was advised to return it. That doesn't make me feel better, especially because if I do that, there are no HX850's left. I picked up the last one!

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d-display-crosstalk-test-photos-with-some-results/

I tried the black test, and the picture bleeds through it fairly strong.

But again, perhaps that's just par for the course with the HX850. My decision may rest in your hands, JD!
post #1729 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Need advice i have still 29 inch panasonic crt.
This weekend ill go to buy new tv. My choices:

1. 46hx850 for 2061 $ with glasses and 22bond bluray movies
2. 46hx929 for 1718 $ with glasses
3. 46hx820 for 1374 $ with glasses
4. 55hx750 for 1718 $ without glasses

929 is my first choice so far but didnt see it in action, saw only 850 and 750 and i like it 850 a lot.

Think ill go wrong anyway smile.gif

Love 3d and ps3 gaming and movies and sports thats my favorite tv needs.
post #1730 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohorta View Post

Need advice i have still 29 inch panasonic crt.
This weekend ill go to buy new tv. My choices:

1. 46hx850 for 2061 $ with glasses and 22bond bluray movies
2. 46hx929 for 1718 $ with glasses
3. 46hx820 for 1374 $ with glasses
4. 55hx750 for 1718 $ without glasses

929 is my first choice so far but didnt see it in action, saw only 850 and 750 and i like it 850 a lot.

Think ill go wrong anyway smile.gif

Love 3d and ps3 gaming and movies and sports thats my favorite tv needs.

You honestly can't go wrong with either the 750, 850 or 929. 929 if you want the best image. 750 if you want the most real estate. 850 if you love Bond cool.gif . The PS3 glasses work really well if not the best and are only $20, so don't worry about glasses being included or not. Most likely, you will need to get polarizing filters (free from Sony) for the 250 or 750 glasses for optimal 3D anyways.
post #1731 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:

You honestly can't go wrong with either the 750, 850 or 929. 929 if you want the best image. 750 if you want the most real estate. 850 if you love Bond cool.gif . The PS3 glasses work really well if not the best and are only $20, so don't worry about glasses being included or not. Most likely, you will need to get polarizing filters (free from Sony) for the 250 or 750 glasses for optimal 3D anyways.

Thx for quick answer. Then 929 is first so far until I step in store. Then who knows what will come out.
post #1732 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to wait to read JewDaddy's results, but I just found an earlier post in the thread by apocReg who described a lot of crosstalk, as well, and linked to a crosstalk image test. His HX850 performed poor in it in the same way as mine did. Unfortunately, he was advised to return it. That doesn't make me feel better, especially because if I do that, there are no HX850's left. I picked up the last one!

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d-display-crosstalk-test-photos-with-some-results/

I tried the black test, and the picture bleeds through it fairly strong.

But again, perhaps that's just par for the course with the HX850. My decision may rest in your hands, JD!

How important is 3D for you? The 850 is a really great set and perhaps best implemented edge-lit on the market non including 2013 models. If you watch alot of 3D, then just knowing it has more crosstalk than most 850s should have may get to you.... but if you only occasionally watch 3D, it may not be an issue as the 2D image really is stellar for an edge lit model.
post #1733 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

How important is 3D for you? The 850 is a really great set and perhaps best implemented edge-lit on the market non including 2013 models. If you watch alot of 3D, then just knowing it has more crosstalk than most 850s should have may get to you.... but if you only occasionally watch 3D, it may not be an issue as the 2D image really is stellar for an edge lit model.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily return it. And you're right, 3D isn't the primary focus. This thing does absolutely fantastic 2D, with great motion and near perfect uniformity. But I did get roped into a service plan, so if something is amiss I could have them take a look at it.
post #1734 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Liked: 13
Not sure if this is the right forum to post it or if I should post it in the S590 one, but when I play a BD on my S590 BD player to my Sony HX850 tv, the picture and sound are unbelievably fantastic. But when I play a regular HD dvd, the picture is not as clear as a BD and a little grainy. Anyone know why that might be? Is there an HX850 control that will give a better picture? Now, when i played the same DVD on my old dvd player to my old Sony HD tv, the picture was great. Any thoughts?

thanks!
post #1735 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 14
Hi folks,

Regarding the auto scene select feature, this would automatically switch the HX850 to game mode when starting to play a game on my PS3. Now that I have the PS3 running through an A/V receiver (Pioneer SC-61) this feature no longer works. Is there any setting or anything I can do to fix this or do I have to change this manually for now on?

Thanks.
post #1736 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
There should be a setting in your pioneer. Check HDMI Control function setting Standby source, control etc...check your source select settings also input assign. I have a Denon so don't know for sure of exact settings of Pioneer. Just giving suggestions

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1737 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibissa View Post

Not sure if this is the right forum to post it or if I should post it in the S590 one, but when I play a BD on my S590 BD player to my Sony HX850 tv, the picture and sound are unbelievably fantastic. But when I play a regular HD dvd, the picture is not as clear as a BD and a little grainy. Anyone know why that might be? Is there an HX850 control that will give a better picture? Now, when i played the same DVD on my old dvd player to my old Sony HD tv, the picture was great. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Any DVD on a 1080p TV will look bad. Only suggestion if you have a ton of DVDs is to look into an Oppo 103. It is perhaps the best player at upscaling DVDs while eliminating digital noise. But in the end, the old adage "crap in - crap out" applies as standard DVD resolution is exposed with today's TVs.
post #1738 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Any DVD on a 1080p TV will look bad. Only suggestion if you have a ton of DVDs is to look into an Oppo 103. It is perhaps the best player at upscaling DVDs while eliminating digital noise. But in the end, the old adage "crap in - crap out" applies as standard DVD resolution is exposed with today's TVs.

+1

$400 may be expensive for an Oppo cmay but its worth it and at the end of the year its the player I am shooting for to replace my Sony S590.
post #1739 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I like my Oppo..can't go wrong. Had a huge Denon Bluray player before that which worked great. It was built like a tank. I believe I paid $1000 for it 4-5 yrs ago. Replaced with OPPO. Denon didn't have wireless updating capabilities, I had to burn discs. PITA. Oppo works flawlessly and is Wi-Fi

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1740 of 2229 Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Didn't see this post. The brightness settings on the glasses were at default. Where can I change that? Home -> 3D options? And what settings do you use?

If you can, the only test I'd love to hear is the early scene in Prometheus. David opens the blast shield revealing the planet and its moon. I notice a lot of crosstalk here, with a ghost image of the planet to the left.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Kdl55hx850 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page