Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2227 Old 07-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find the exact same description of the problem, so I'm not sure if it's normal or can be corrected. Just got my second 55HX850 after returning the first for a bad pixel plus the occasional 1/4" light strip across the bottom edge of the picture. The second one which I have now also often exhibits this 1/8" to 1/4" high light strip (glow, band?) across the bottom edge. It's almost like it's part of the video itself, but seems more like a backlighting artifact. It's only very slightly brighter than the part of the scene above it and is probably not noticeable unless you're looking for it, and it doesn't seem to occur on the side or top edges. It's more frequent at the bottom right, maybe 15" across, but sometimes extends almost all the way across the screen. And it's directly at the bottom, against the black edge. Backlighting is 4 and LED Dynamic is set to Auto. It doesn't seem like the backlighting setting has any effect on this. Maybe it's a video processing artifact where the processing gets confused by the bottom edge?

You can sort of see it in the attached picture, basically across the bottom middle 1/3 of the screen shot. It looks like a glow coming up from the black edge. With Nascar on Speed channel today, it's can be really obvious across the entire bottom edge when the gray track fills up the bottom of the screen. But it doesn't seem correlated with extremely bright scenes.

I was watching a Samsung 55F7050 in Costco yesterday, and it didn't have exactly the same problem but the bottom edge seemed to jump around on that TV, and in general wasn't any better. So I don't know if there's just a bottom edge problem with edge lit panels, or if it's something not quite right with the panel, or if the video processing has a problem

Otherwise the image looks great so I'm inclined to keep it, but still wonder if this is a "feature" of this HX850.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2227 Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 16
I haven't seen that effect before, it surely shouldn't be there and doesn't occur on my set. Looking at the photo, it's difficult to tell if that strip belongs to the scene on your TV or not, and if it does, does it belong on the top or bottom half of the scene. Have you tried different picture formats to see if that has an affect on that strip, such as normal, full, zoom, etc... I have my set on Full and scene on Cinema.
post #1983 of 2227 Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

I haven't seen that effect before, it surely shouldn't be there and doesn't occur on my set. Looking at the photo, it's difficult to tell if that strip belongs to the scene on your TV or not, and if it does, does it belong on the top or bottom half of the scene. Have you tried different picture formats to see if that has an affect on that strip, such as normal, full, zoom, etc... I have my set on Full and scene on Cinema.
Yes it's hard to tell from the photo whether it's part of the scene, but in fact it was not part of the scene and I've now watched quite a few Nascar laps with different settings, but all with the same effect especially when the gray track dominates the screen. (Not because I love Nascar, but because the problem is present so often with the gray track and green infield.) I did try changing the picture modes as you suggested, and the same thing happens in all of them. Also tried many of the scene modes, with the same problem in all modes. F/W is the latest version from the Sony website. Seems very strange that this has occurred on both of the TVs that I've tried. Might have to return it and consider the 55W900A, although I like the gorilla glass on the 850.
post #1984 of 2227 Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 15
I can't see it in your photo but nothing like that on my 850. i would contact Sony, sounds like some type of problem that cannot be corrected by playing with the settings, maybe some type of defect or malfunction that should be covered under warranty.
post #1985 of 2227 Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Just ordered a 46HX850 direct from Best Buy! It will be replacing my 46HX750 that I have had for almost a year. The price was to good to pass up and yes its new and in the box. Ordered it online. There was nothing wrong with my HX750 but the 850 has the gorilla glass and a few other features the HX750 don't have and I wanted to have. So I took the plunge and will give my views when I get it.
post #1986 of 2227 Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Is it me but i noticed alot of motion blur when I set it to "smooth". Do you guys get the same thing on your hx850s?
post #1987 of 2227 Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Hi. Im trying to decide between the HX850 and the HX950 myself. Since you own both of them could you tell me how you would compare the 3D performance with each of them, with HD movies and with gaming. Thanks.
post #1988 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginer View Post

Hi. Im trying to decide between the HX850 and the HX950 myself. Since you own both of them could you tell me how you would compare the 3D performance with each of them, with HD movies and with gaming. Thanks.

I would think that being both TV's share almost the same features that the 3D performance would be the same on both TV's. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Cant wait to try out the 3D when I get my HX850 on Monday.
post #1989 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I would think that being both TV's share almost the same features that the 3D performance would be the same on both TV's. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Cant wait to try out the 3D when I get my HX850 on Monday.

I would think so too. Ill look forward to hearing how you find the 3D when you get your 850. Any specifics would be much appreciated.
post #1990 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginer View Post

Quote:

I would think so too. Ill look forward to hearing how you find the 3D when you get your 850. Any specifics would be much appreciated.

I will let you know asap.
post #1991 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Just ordered a 46HX850 direct from Best Buy! It will be replacing my 46HX750 that I have had for almost a year. The price was to good to pass up and yes its new and in the box. Ordered it online. There was nothing wrong with my HX750 but the 850 has the gorilla glass and a few other features the HX750 don't have and I wanted to have. So I took the plunge and will give my views when I get it.

Well welcome to the club mate, fingers crossed everything goes ok for you smile.gif
post #1992 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKreturns View Post

Is it me but i noticed alot of motion blur when I set it to "smooth". Do you guys get the same thing on your hx850s?

SMooth is just for judder and does nothing for motion resolution or blur.

The default resolution of the panel is 300 lines during motion, motion flow clear takes that up to 1080 lines and makes a noticeable difference.
post #1993 of 2227 Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Quote:

Well welcome to the club mate, fingers crossed everything goes ok for you smile.gif

Thanks Aaron and my fingers are crossed as well. My expectations are very high for the HX850, hopefully it wont let me down.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKreturns View Post

SMooth is just for judder and does nothing for motion resolution or blur.

The default resolution of the panel is 300 lines during motion, motion flow clear takes that up to 1080 lines and makes a noticeable difference.

I am going to give your suggestion a try for sure Aaron.
post #1994 of 2227 Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnDgh View Post

I just recently purchased and set up my HX850 and I am having issues with my PLAYSTATION 3 and STR-K850P receiver.

Scenario 1:
If I connect my PLAYSTATION 3 via HDMI direct to the television and optical out via the television, I only get 2 channel support.

Scenario 2:
If I connect my PLAYSTATION 3 via HDMI direct to the television and optical out via the PS3, I get 5.1 with early audio.

Solution?

I actually am using the same setup except I am using an old Pioneer Receiver from 2001. In order to get DD5.1 or DTS from PS3->TV, then TV->Reciever, you MUST press options on remote. Go to speakers, then switch it from TV Speakers to Audio system. It works every time.
post #1995 of 2227 Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnDgh View Post

I just recently purchased and set up my HX850 and I am having issues with my PLAYSTATION 3 and STR-K850P receiver.

Scenario 1:
If I connect my PLAYSTATION 3 via HDMI direct to the television and optical out via the television, I only get 2 channel support.

Scenario 2:
If I connect my PLAYSTATION 3 via HDMI direct to the television and optical out via the PS3, I get 5.1 with early audio.

Solution?

I actually am using the same setup except I am using an old Pioneer Receiver from 2001. In order to get DD5.1 or DTS from PS3->TV, then TV->Reciever, you MUST press options on remote. Go to speakers, then switch it from TV Speakers to Audio system. It works every time.

+1. Well said and explained.
post #1996 of 2227 Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Hey everyone, I noticed something weird tonight while watching Jaws on Blu-ray. (I have a PS3 connected via HDMI through a Yamaha HTR-6295; everything is running through the receiver. I have one HDMI connected to my TV, FYI). Lately I've been playing around with MotionFlow and just seeing how it looks with different sources. I usually have it set to off. When I brought up the picture settings menu during Jaws Blu-ray playback, I noticed my settings were set to "Cinema 2", and not "Custom" as they usually are. I set up custom settings based off of settings I found from some of you on this forum. Anyways, when I tried to select my custom settings, I only had the option of Cinema 1 or 2. When I stopped playback after the movie, from the PS3 menu, I checked video settings, and sure enough, my custom settings were selected. My custom settings are also on when I'm watching my set top box, Apple TV, etc.

Now to be honest, I don't know if this is something that happens all the time and I'm only noticing it now, but if its not, do any of you know why I wasn't able to use my saved custom settings while watching the movie?
post #1997 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymack View Post

Hey everyone, I noticed something weird tonight while watching Jaws on Blu-ray. (I have a PS3 connected via HDMI through a Yamaha HTR-6295; everything is running through the receiver. I have one HDMI connected to my TV, FYI). Lately I've been playing around with MotionFlow and just seeing how it looks with different sources. I usually have it set to off. When I brought up the picture settings menu during Jaws Blu-ray playback, I noticed my settings were set to "Cinema 2", and not "Custom" as they usually are. I set up custom settings based off of settings I found from some of you on this forum. Anyways, when I tried to select my custom settings, I only had the option of Cinema 1 or 2. When I stopped playback after the movie, from the PS3 menu, I checked video settings, and sure enough, my custom settings were selected. My custom settings are also on when I'm watching my set top box, Apple TV, etc.

Now to be honest, I don't know if this is something that happens all the time and I'm only noticing it now, but if its not, do any of you know why I wasn't able to use my saved custom settings while watching the movie?

I think this happens when you have the "scene select" set to cinema or auto. Try your scene select on "general" and then setup your picture options the way you like and it shouldn't change. Not 100% sure that's what's causing it but I think it happened to me when I had my scene select on cinema.

post #1998 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my HX850 this morning. I have it all set up and running. All I can say is WOW!!!! It beat's the crap out my HX750 as far as PQ is concerned. Scene's look so clear and crisp. I am totally blown freakin away and this is the smartest buy I have yet to make as far as an HDTV is concerned. I cant wait until I fire up a Blu ray tonight.

biggrin.gif
post #1999 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got my HX850 this morning. I have it all set up and running. All I can say is WOW!!!! It beat's the crap out my HX750 as far as PQ is concerned. Scene's look so clear and crisp. I am totally blown freakin away and this is the smartest buy I have yet to make as far as an HDTV is concerned. I cant wait until I fire up a Blu ray tonight.

biggrin.gif

Congrats and welcome to the club!!! If you think it looks good now, just wait until you watch a blu-ray. Enjoy!

post #2000 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Congrats and welcome to the club!!! If you think it looks good now, just wait until you watch a blu-ray. Enjoy!

I am going to tonight JewDaddy. I am watching it now and I am stunned at how good it really is. I owned the HX750 and it don't even come close. I don't know if its the gorilla glass or opticontrast panel or maybe its the Home Theater Magazine settings I don't know but all I can say is WOW!!! I have never seen PQ and blacks look this good. Whatever Sony did they did it very very well with the HX850. I have zero clouding issues and zero banding issues and that I am very happy about. Right now I am like a little kid in a candy store and just loving this tv. I'm sure Blu ray on it will knock my socks off and I will find that out tonight.

biggrin.gif
post #2001 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am going to tonight JewDaddy. I am watching it now and I am stunned at how good it really is. I owned the HX750 and it don't even come close. I don't know if its the gorilla glass or opticontrast panel or maybe its the Home Theater Magazine settings I don't know but all I can say is WOW!!! I have never seen PQ and blacks look this good. Whatever Sony did they did it very very well with the HX850. I have zero clouding issues and zero banding issues and that I am very happy about. Right now I am like a little kid in a candy store and just loving this tv. I'm sure Blu ray on it will knock my socks off and I will find that out tonight.

biggrin.gif

I feel the same way. I'm VERY picky when it comes to displays I own. I'm sure other forum members and especially my wife can attest to that. My first HX850 had issues with the 3D but I was sent a replacement by Sony and its been amazing ever since. It's nice to finally not have TV Envy that I always seemed to have with other displays I've owned.

You've got me curious about your settings though. I'll have to try out Home Theater Magazine settings and see how they compare to mine. Let me know what you think after watching your first blu-ray.

post #2002 of 2227 Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

I feel the same way. I'm VERY picky when it comes to displays I own. I'm sure other forum members and especially my wife can attest to that. My first HX850 had issues with the 3D but I was sent a replacement by Sony and its been amazing ever since. It's nice to finally not have TV Envy that I always seemed to have with other displays I've owned.

You've got me curious about your settings though. I'll have to try out Home Theater Magazine settings and see how they compare to mine. Let me know what you think after watching your first blu-ray.

Well JewDaddy I am with you on one thing and that its nice to not have TV Envy that I always seemed to have with other displays I've also owned! And I have had my fair share but there was always something missing from those displays that I wish I did have and I cant really put my finger on what they were missing that made me truly unhappy with what I had. Not so with my HX850. It has everything I need and want in an HDTV, I call it the perfect package and it now completes my HT setup and I am now satisfied...with the video side of things anyway, lol. Now I need to upgrade my speakers because I aint getting enough out of them or I should say my Pioneer Reciever aint getting enough out of them for what it can do sound wise. Plus I need to get myself a better Monster Surge Protection system. That will come though with time but the main thing...the tv.....is now been completed with the HX850 I have. That being said give Tom Nortons settings a try and see if you like them. I have used his settings on all my TV's with very good results. Cant wait to try out a Blu ray and that will be Baraka tonight. I will let you know what I think.
post #2003 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Baraka on Blu ray last night and once again the experience was a WOW factor times 10!! My HX850 is an incredible tv. When a scene goes to black its black! The PQ is beyond belief and so damn clear on this tv. I have never enjoyed a set so much as this. Great job by Sony and its just to bad an excellent tv like the HX850 has been discontinued because in my book its one of the best TV's yet made by Sony. I thought my HX750 was good but it don't even come close to what I have now. Glad I got the HX850 when I did because it was money well spent and I would do it again with no regrets. This will be my main tv for a long long time. That all being said if you have not already try Home Theater Magazine Tom Norton's settings....they are excellent for the HX850. I tweaked a few things using his settings and I am loving it. If anyone else has other settings they think may be better let me know. Baraka has never looked better on this tv. biggrin.gif
post #2004 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

I keep hearing people mention Baraka and I have never watched it, any good?

Glad you're liking the set mate, have you got any ambient light setup behind the screen? With my led lights behind the Sony it looks stunning! Though I haven't used them in a while, need to get some films going on smile.gif
post #2005 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I keep hearing people mention Baraka and I have never watched it, any good?

Glad you're liking the set mate, have you got any ambient light setup behind the screen? With my led lights behind the Sony it looks stunning! Though I haven't used them in a while, need to get some films going on smile.gif

Aaron,

Next to Planet Earth I feel Baraka is one of the most beautiful films ever made and it is stunning on Blu ray. You gotta see it especially on your HX850. To answer your second question? No I don't have any ambient light setup behind my tv but trust me I would love to and am going to look into it.
post #2006 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I agree, Baraka looks stunning on LCD high end and Plasma High end tv's. it is a visual experience to show off your set. Another absolutely stunning video is TimesScapes. You can't buy it at a regular store you need to order it, just google them. They have 4k as well.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2007 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 23
What setting of Motionflow and cinemotion do you guys use for cable, Bluray 24p and games?. I don´t use motionflow for any of those but for cable I used Cinemotion on auto 1 and for Bluray and games Auto 2 but I'm not sure my settings are giving me thebest image posibble.
post #2008 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

biggrin.gif

"All I can say is WOW!!!! It beat's the crap out my HX750 as far as PQ is concerned."

smile.gif

Told ya
post #2009 of 2227 Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

I agree, Baraka looks stunning on LCD high end and Plasma High end tv's. it is a visual experience to show off your set. Another absolutely stunning video is TimesScapes. You can't buy it at a regular store you need to order it, just google them. They have 4k as well.

Latino all I can say is Baraka never looked this good on my (Now givin to my Uncle) HX750. Now on my HX850? Like I said its stunning. I may have to look to see if I can find Timescapes and give it try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

What setting of Motionflow and cinemotion do you guys use for cable, Bluray 24p and games?. I don´t use motionflow for any of those but for cable I used Cinemotion on auto 1 and for Bluray and games Auto 2 but I'm not sure my settings are giving me thebest image posibble.

I have Motionflow set to Standard and Cinemotion set to Auto 2 on my HX850. I use both of those for watching Directv and Blu ray. I know some don't like Motionflow but I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

"All I can say is WOW!!!! It beat's the crap out my HX750 as far as PQ is concerned."

smile.gif

Told ya

Yes gator you did and once again you were right........God I hate admitting that! LOL wink.gif
post #2010 of 2227 Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys,
I just got myself one of these today (55HX850) and it's a fantastic TV, it looks stunning and is very well built.

The only problem is I'm trying to get the right picture settings and it seems I am missing some picture modes. My TV does not have the option for cinema 1 and 2 pictures modes.
This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't seem to be the two modes that everyone uses to get the perfect picture on their hx850.

Is there something wrong with my TV? Does it require a firmware update or something?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page