Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Colors, depth,pop are due to the W900's Triluminous feature. As for using the Advanced Contrast Enhancer? I don't use it on my HX850 due to there is no need for it in my book so its off. The W900 is a good tv no doubt but in my opinion the blacks are not as good as the HX850 and on top of it it don't have the Gorilla Glass/Opticontrast Panel combo which to my eye produces the most beautiful PQ I have seen next to Sony's 4K TV's. The only advantage I see in the W900 is the Triluminous feature which if you really compare the 2 TV's side by side you don't see much difference color wise. That's the only slight advantage the W900 has over the HX850.

Lol. I know you LOVE your set. I did, too. And I already stipulated in my quick review that the 850 has better blacks. But I also have had the 2 sets in my family room, side by side, after having set up both properly. They are different sets, so whereas the Advanced Contrast Enhancer might have negative effects on one, it may not have it on the other. I stand by everything I wrote, including my conclusion.

wth718,

I love my set to death and I have never had a flat screen tv, and I have had a few, make watching Blu ray's, Blu ray 3D and normal program material such a pleasure watching. This is the first flat screen tv that I haven't had issues with such as clouding, banding, dead pixels ect. So yes I love my set and plan on keeping it for many years. You are right on the mark when you say the HX850 and W900 are different sets and ACE may work on one but not the other. What you wrote was very good and very informative and I have no problem with it and its your right to stand by everything you wrote and your conclusion as I stand by what I wrote as well. I look at it this way........a person cant go wrong with either set because both are very very good. If I wouldn't have had an HX850 the W900 would have been on my target list and more then likely bought by me. Happy New Year! smile.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2232 Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Agreed. The 850 gives up a little on color and the 900 gives up a little on black levels. Both would hold a proud place in my home theater.

Happy new years to you, too!
post #2163 of 2232 Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege1111 View Post

I have the 55hx850 and loved it. Problem is it stopped working one night when I was playing with the simulated 3D. It shut itself off and the red light is blinking 4 times. After calling Sony, they stated it's a power issue and the unit needs to be replaced. I had the set for a great 8 months, and loved it until now.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the replacement? It's been 21 days now and it has yet to leave the warehouse. I have a FedEx tracking number and it's not in their system yet. Ive called many times and they state they were waiting for packing material to ship the unit. For those of you who that have had to return / replace the unit, how long did the process take?

I was first told I would receive a refurbished 55HX850, but now they are saying they do not have any and they they will be replacing it with a new 55in W900a. Not sure how I feel about that, other than I've read some good things about the W900 and the fact that I will be getting a new model vs a refurbished hx850.

How have others fared with Sony on getting a replacement? I've been without a good TV for almost the past month.... :-(

Contact Sony and ask them for the delivery company's number. They usually know better than Sony the info on the whereabouts of your TV and when to expect delivery. I've had two sets replaced by Sony, only I had to pay for both of them, at a discounted price. It usually takes less then a month, more in the 2 -3 week range for me. I would have never agreed to except a refurbished set for a TV that's less then a year old and is still under warranty. Usually their refurbished sets come with only a 90 day warranty. Glad to see that Sony gave you a brand new set. I think you'll be a very happy camper, once the TV gets there.
post #2164 of 2232 Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rege1111 View Post

I have the 55hx850 and loved it. Problem is it stopped working one night when I was playing with the simulated 3D. It shut itself off and the red light is blinking 4 times. After calling Sony, they stated it's a power issue and the unit needs to be replaced. I had the set for a great 8 months, and loved it until now.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the replacement? It's been 21 days now and it has yet to leave the warehouse. I have a FedEx tracking number and it's not in their system yet. Ive called many times and they state they were waiting for packing material to ship the unit. For those of you who that have had to return / replace the unit, how long did the process take?

I was first told I would receive a refurbished 55HX850, but now they are saying they do not have any and they they will be replacing it with a new 55in W900a. Not sure how I feel about that, other than I've read some good things about the W900 and the fact that I will be getting a new model vs a refurbished hx850.

How have others fared with Sony on getting a replacement? I've been without a good TV for almost the past month.... :-(

Contact Sony and ask them for the delivery company's number. They usually know better than Sony the info on the whereabouts of your TV and when to expect delivery. I've had two sets replaced by Sony, only I had to pay for both of them, at a discounted price. It usually takes less then a month, more in the 2 -3 week range for me. I would have never agreed to except a refurbished set for a TV that's less then a year old and is still under warranty. Usually their refurbished sets come with only a 90 day warranty. Glad to see that Sony gave you a brand new set. I think you'll be a very happy camper, once the TV gets there.

A friend of mine got a refurbished set from Sony with a 2 year warrenty.

post #2165 of 2232 Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30

My 46hx820 with the 4 blink status light death was replaced by Sony warranty (still within the year point) with a 55w900a.  Process took 2 months.  Also have two 55hx820's in household so could make a literally side by side comparison.  The w900a rocks!  Reds, blues, aquas incredible.  Tired to get same on the Hx820 by playing with vivid picture options and nearly suceeded but not quite.  Still prefer the hx820 to watch widescreen film that have black above/below since the hx820 provides the deep black side border not to mention sony logo.  Looks weird on the w900a to have no side border (except thin trim) and then the black fill in upper/lower to wide screen movie.

Want a 65 incher.  Still debating on a 65w850a with triluminous and a xbr65hx950 from onecall since with the gorilla glass, it even looks good turned off.  The w850a does not have the deep black glass option as even the 900a so it won't look as good when turned off.  I know this is a 850 thread but the 850 was next generation 820.

post #2166 of 2232 Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing concerning the 55w900a, I removed the chrome coated plastic cover to stand leaving behind the stamped metal base painted black.  It may have a unfinished look to it but at least it kind of "fades" away instead of the awful, awful shiny standard base the tv came with.  Talking about a distraction to the tv itself - WTF!   Spoiled by the infamous hx820/929 bases which are classic.

post #2167 of 2232 Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, so I just committed to buy this set on eBay. Seller says he just bought this set from a local electronic store brand new 1 month ago(says he'd got receipt to prove). I'll be picking it up next week(local pickup) and Ill take a look at it and inspect it. Seller says its scratch free and in flawless condition. Price is $1249 and for an extra $100 I can get the 3 year sony coverage.

Good deal?
post #2168 of 2232 Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post

Hey guys, so I just committed to buy this set on eBay. Seller says he just bought this set from a local electronic store brand new 1 month ago(says he'd got receipt to prove). I'll be picking it up next week(local pickup) and Ill take a look at it and inspect it. Seller says its scratch free and in flawless condition. Price is $1249 and for an extra $100 I can get the 3 year sony coverage.

Good deal?

Its hard to say Grubs. Check the receipt, check the tv over very well, and have him turn it on so you can inspect it. Why if he just bought it 1 month ago is he already selling it? Did he say? Its a good deal but I would be wary, very wary and the reason is is Ebay. I have seen and heard alot of people get taken by sellers on Ebay so just make sure you check the set out very carefully. If its everything he says it is and so fourth then go for it and get the Sony warranty just in case. One a side note its good its a local pickup because if something goes wrong you know where to go to. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

post #2169 of 2232 Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

Good deal?
brand new!?!? it just sat on a shelf running from 8 AM to midnite 7 days a week the last 2 1/2 years.
good luck! 11 months ago almost all stores were sold out of this model or had only refurbished left or their
old display models. anything else was shipped recalled back to Sony.
you can read this info going back through this forum.
PS sony had a 3, 4 or 5 year warranty when they were new....I got the 5 year.

my HT
post #2170 of 2232 Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys I'm planning to puff out some scratches off my hx850 with a gorilla glass compound and I want to know if the screen had any type coating on it that polishing ruin thanks
post #2171 of 2232 Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

brand new!?!? it just sat on a shelf running from 8 AM to midnite 7 days a week the last 2 1/2 years.
good luck! 11 months ago almost all stores were sold out of this model or had only refurbished left or their
old display models. anything else was shipped recalled back to Sony.
you can read this info going back through this forum.
PS sony had a 3, 4 or 5 year warranty when they were new....I got the 5 year.

Hmm..having second thoughts about this set now. If I get the sony coverage I'll be okay?
post #2172 of 2232 Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 AM

So I got the seller to check the panel hours on the TV and it has 4,723 hours should I be concerned??
post #2173 of 2232 Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:

So I got the seller to check the panel hours on the TV and it has 4,723 hours should I be concerned??

Yes, be concerned!  Too many hours.  The status light 4 blinks of death might get you and the extended warranty just means months of  hassle in getting whatever refurbished tv they have on hand.  You don't say if 46 or 55 but hope at that price it's 55.  Better off getting out of ebay deal and starting over.  Include the 55hx820 and hx929/950 on your list.  If you buy used on ebay, look for one that was hardly used and be patient.  Personally, I'd add a few more bucks and get a new 55w900a when price comes down even more than it is now.  Triluminous is worth getting!  I have two 55hx820's which I love and a 55w900a through sony warranty when a 46hx820 died within one year warranty.

post #2174 of 2232 Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Grubs just make sure you get the warranty if you do go forward and get the HX850. As for the panel hours? Its high but I wouldnt be overly concerned about it. In the end its up to you, your money, your choice. The HX850 is an excellent tv and in my opinion it was one of the last quality made sets along with the 950 made by Sony. Again let us know what you decide to do. smile.gif

post #2175 of 2232 Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lets see, 4723/365 (days)= 12.939 hours a day for every day last year. just a guess........
that would give you the tired butt syndrome.......

my HT
post #2176 of 2232 Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

lets see, 4723/365 (days)= 12.939 hours a day for every day last year. just a guess........
that would give you the tired butt syndrome.......

The tired butt syndrome? LOL biggrin.gif. Well there is something I havent heard before, thanks for that eaamon! That side I guess when you really look at it that is alot of hours on a tv thats a year old or so. I am guessing it was a display model or he watched alot of tv I dont know. But the question is should he buy it or not? The more I look at it I say no.

post #2177 of 2232 Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Okay so after days to figure out what I was gonna do I just decided to go ahead and follow through with buying this tv. Many people in this thread have said this set is one of the best sony has made. I figured sony makes quality products and should last a long time. I have three other sony Bravia tvs in my household and they are all over 4 years old and have had heavy usage since I've bought them and they have over 11,000 hours of usage and still preform well. The main tv is the kdl-40v2500 this has been the workhorse tv for over 7 years with 40,000 hours of usage and still has a great picture. So tommorow I will go test the tv out and see if I do end up taking it. I respect all of your opinions and thankful as well
post #2178 of 2232 Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay so after days to figure out what I was gonna do I just decided to go ahead and follow through with buying this tv. Many people in this thread have said this set is one of the best sony has made. I figured sony makes quality products and should last a long time. I have three other sony Bravia tvs in my household and they are all over 4 years old and have had heavy usage since I've bought them and they have over 11,000 hours of usage and still preform well. The main tv is the kdl-40v2500 this has been the workhorse tv for over 7 years with 40,000 hours of usage and still has a great picture. So tommorow I will go test the tv out and see if I do end up taking it. I respect all of your opinions and thankful as well

Grubs if the tv checks out PQ wise and has no scratches ect I would take the plunge and not look back. 2012 was the last great year for Sony in my book where quality counted. The HX850 is still a top of the line tv and I believe you wont be disappointed. Tv's like the HX850 can last a long time if taken care of.

post #2179 of 2232 Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I would like to know if other people are experiencing the same problem as I :

When Cinemotion is set to auto-1 and Motionflow is set to smooth there is a lot of artifacts on screen, especially during fast moving scenes and when playing videogames.

Thanks in advance.
post #2180 of 2232 Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRabbit79 View Post

Hi,

I would like to know if other people are experiencing the same problem as I :

When Cinemotion is set to auto-1 and Motionflow is set to smooth there is a lot of artifacts on screen, especially during fast moving scenes and when playing videogames.

Thanks in advance.

I have Cinemotion set to Auto 2 and Motionflow set to Standard so nope I dont experience no artifacts.

post #2181 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM

I suppose, but if you set your TV cinemotion to auto-1 and motionflow to smooth will you experience artifacts or is it just my TV?
post #2182 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suppose, but if you set your TV cinemotion to auto-1 and motionflow to smooth will you experience artifacts or is it just my TV?

On some program material yes you will see artifacts as far as video games? I dont know because I am not a gamer so I cant answer that one for you.

post #2183 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:

On some program material yes you will see artifacts as far as video games? I dont know because I am not a gamer so I cant answer that one for you.

Ok, so it is a TV defect...i mean i bought the TV so I could watch content in smooth motion (yes...i like the soap opera effect) and the option is plagued with artifacts...is there a firmware update to fix the problem?

Is there other TV brands that display perfect smooth motion without artifacts?
post #2184 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

'grubs92' you might try a full factory reset. best option in my opinion. start over.
but the options button and cycle through picture types. it is possible one of those might have
been used by a TV calibrator to get the best picture.
most gamers have everything like cinemotion and motionflow turned to the off position I think.

if you start over with the reset. I believe on the "Home Theater forum" a professional calibrator there
said the only adjustment they made to the set they calibrated only needed the blue color set (minus 1)
or "-1" below factory settings. possibly due to the slight difference in blue from the natural LED white colors. and that is
not bad for factory they thought was the most perfect TV.

moonrabbit79, I do not know if that might help you too.

my HT
post #2185 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

'grubs92' you might try a full factory reset. best option in my opinion. start over.
but the options button and cycle through picture types. it is possible one of those might have
been used by a TV calibrator to get the best picture.
most gamers have everything like cinemotion and motionflow turned to the off position I think.

if you start over with the reset. I believe on the "Home Theater forum" a professional calibrator there
said the only adjustment they made to the set they calibrated only needed the blue color set (minus 1)
or "-1" below factory settings. possibly due to the slight difference in blue from the natural LED white colors. and that is
not bad for factory they thought was the most perfect TV.

moonrabbit79, I do not know if that might help you too.

I tried a full hardware reset and it did nothing for me...as for calibration i do it myself with my i1 display probe and HCFR calibration software. For my greyscale calibration I use R : -2 / G : -5 / B : 0 for use with a PS3.
post #2186 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM

So I brought the TV home and everything checked out at the sellers home. Now when I got home I noticed some light clouding on bottom on both corners of the screen. I can't believe I didn't notice it yesterday! Just my luck.
post #2187 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I brought the TV home and everything checked out at the sellers home. Now when I got home I noticed some light clouding on bottom on both corners of the screen. I can't believe I didn't notice it yesterday! Just my luck.

Grubs light clouding is not uncommon on edge lit sets. They all have that problem to some degree and its due to the screen uniformity. The bigger the screen the more prone sets are to it. I have the 46inch HX850 and I have zero clouding which I consider lucky on my part. If you aint happy with it then return it if you can.

post #2188 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, so it is a TV defect...i mean i bought the TV so I could watch content in smooth motion (yes...i like the soap opera effect) and the option is plagued with artifacts...is there a firmware update to fix the problem?

Is there other TV brands that display perfect smooth motion without artifacts?

Is there other TV brands that display perfect smooth motion without artifacts? None that I know of. Like I said sometimes it depends on the program material.

post #2189 of 2232 Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Grubs light clouding is not uncommon on edge lit sets. They all have that problem to some degree and its due to the screen uniformity. The bigger the screen the more prone sets are to it. I have the 46inch HX850 and I have zero clouding which I consider lucky on my part. If you aint happy with it then return it if you can.

After tweaking the settings on this set I've been impressed with the PQ. Cinema 2 is great, I've been playing 1080p content and it's been beautiful. Aside from the corner clouding on dark scenes it's great. I'll have to see if I can live with it if not I do have the protection plan.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2190 of 2232 Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:

After tweaking the settings on this set I've been impressed with the PQ. Cinema 2 is great, I've been playing 1080p content and it's been beautiful. Aside from the corner clouding on dark scenes it's great. I'll have to see if I can live with it if not I do have the protection plan.

To minimize your clouding problem try too enable eco-mode to low, ambient light sensor to on and dynamic led to low or off.
steve1971 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Sony , 3d Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony 40 Inch 3d Hdtv Kdl46hx850 , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page