Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1357 Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Rock

did you adjust the PQ at all? check settings? I agree that its way over priced but like any tv adjustments are needed to dial in the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1357 Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Rock
did you adjust the PQ at all? check settings? I agree that its way over priced but like any tv adjustments are needed to dial in the picture.

well i mean its running one of the best resolution movies you can run to show out as they say and it was avatar 3d at that to show off 90" of 3d glory i did not think to ask for the control to change types(movie vivid etc) i just watched it at different angles and caught a couple actions scenes a couple of us did and was left unimpressed. the only cool thing i will say was its was HANGING on a wall mount of some type extremely slim so that was cool to see it suspending in air if i go back up there ill take pics of the thing but was nothing balling about it. overpriced hardware i mean when you got the magnolia employees saying look elsewhere thats tells you something. As i stated before it will come down in price eventuatlly for a newer model of course or a 100" the best buy around me is cool and they would have let me play with options had i asked

i have read you have two 844u if you decide to sell one to upgrade to new verison or elite or 90" for a nice price ill buy just putting that out there HAAA
post #273 of 1357 Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, can anyone tell me the footprint dimensions of the table stand for the 90 inch (which I have on order)?

Thanks,

Belvista
post #274 of 1357 Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Saw it at Magnolia today. It looked really good. Xmen 2 BLU Ray was stunning, and Kick Ass regular DVD looked quite nice. I was back about 10 ft and moved closer a couple of times. No graininess. I have the 80 844, and this might look better. Might have to get it.
post #275 of 1357 Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post

Saw it at Magnolia today. It looked really good. Xmen 2 BLU Ray was stunning, and Kick Ass regular DVD looked quite nice. I was back about 10 ft and moved closer a couple of times. No graininess. I have the 80 844, and this might look better. Might have to get it.

well if you decide to get rid of your 844u for a reasonable price i might be interested with shipping of course smile.gif. i have not seen or heard any 90" owners yet
post #276 of 1357 Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anything new here? Any owners?
post #277 of 1357 Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I think there was one or two impending owners but they have been awful quite if thats the case......
post #278 of 1357 Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM

I'm leaning in that direction.
post #279 of 1357 Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM

I saw this screen today at a Best Buy. It was GIGANTIC!!!. It was playing the XMen First Class Blu ray. I just sat there mesmerized!!!. It looked fantastic. When a TV is bigger than you and looks this good, it definitely catches your attention and leaves you in awe!!!

I wonder how the very best projector compares to this at a similar size next to it in the same lighting conditions?

I may be wrong, but i don't think any projector can match this head to head, one image next to the other, at the same 90 inch diagonal size, in the same lighting conditions, and sitting at the same distance from the screen. No way. If there is such a projector, i want to know which one?

I understand that projectors can be had for lesser money and project a much bigger picture. But if your objective is to project, inside your home, the very best 90 inch diagonal image (as percieved by the viewers eyes and brain) I think this tv's image cannot be duplicated by a projector. I know it is different technologies. But regardless. As it was explained to me, the 90 inch LCD is going to win because it produces and powers its own image and that is what your eyes see. With a projector, the image that you will see does not come directly from the projector but is bounced off the screen upon which the image is projected.

So my belief is that if you line up both this 90 inch tv next to a 90 inch image projected by an excellent projector in the same room, with the same lighting conditions, running the same Blu Ray source material, and perceived from the same sitting postion, the projector image may be fantastic but it will not match the POP brightness and wow factor of this tv. I believe that even if the image of the projector has better blacks and better color fidelity, the LCD brightness and POP will make the viewers brain perceive it to be a better picture. Anybody with any opinions, please feel free to chime in.
post #280 of 1357 Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 527
My Costco is now displaying the 90", the 80", a 70" (some model they can sell at $2500) and a 60" all as you walk in the door. It's a very impressive set up.

And let me say, the 90" looks really nice. It's not going to have the picture quality of a good projector, no. But it will do something no projector on the market can dream of doing -- look good with room light on.

Honestly, it's "too expensive" at $10K to be taken seriously. And yet it's worth every penny.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #281 of 1357 Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My Costco is now displaying the 90", the 80", a 70" (some model they can sell at $2500) and a 60" all as you walk in the door. It's a very impressive set up.
And let me say, the 90" looks really nice. It's not going to have the picture quality of a good projector, no. But it will do something no projector on the market can dream of doing -- look good with room light on.
Honestly, it's "too expensive" at $10K to be taken seriously. And yet it's worth every penny.

Same thing here (about Costco display). A new Costco just opened this past Saturday less than 10 minutes from my home and there was the display right at the entrance - they had the 80" (633) just below the 90" mounted up high - in that configuration the 90 didn't have the visual WOW of being much larger than the 80 and neither perceptually looked that large considering the very high ceilings and largeness of the store. They also had the 75" Samsung for nearly 8K - edge lit no less - makes the 844 look like a real bargain.
post #282 of 1357 Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Mark,

It has been a while...

Please elaborate on:

"Honestly, it's "too expensive" at $10K to be taken seriously. And yet it's worth every penny."

Fill this thread with your wisdom ;-P

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

"Never mistake motion for action." ÂErnest Hemingway

Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #283 of 1357 Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yesterday I was able to view the 90 inch at a local BB. I was surprised how good the picture looked. I am comparing the PQ to my Elite PRO-70X5. They were running Alice in Wonderland in 2D Blu-ray and colors and detail were right on.
Not sure I like to semi glossy screen, it has too much of a matte finish for me. The Elite has a glossy screen and seems to give more of a pop to colors.

I would love to have one but I would be giving up PQ for size. I really wasn't expecting the 90" to have the PQ of the Elite but still its looked pretty good. I wonder if the price is going to come down some in the coming months.

All in all the PQ was much better than I was expecting. If I were buying today and the Elite and the 90" were the same price I would go for the 90" simply because of the size.
post #284 of 1357 Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this TV has a good picture for its size, maybe not worth 10k but good. smile.gif
post #285 of 1357 Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the 90" had a better picture than the Sharp LC80LE844U. Both were in a dark room and both we set on Dynamic Fixed. The 80" didn't seem as sharp and it was somewhat washed out or flat looking.
Where as the 90" had more detail and pop. I expected the opposite with the 80" having more detail. IMO it was the 90" that had the better picture. I believe they both have Full Array LED.

Wish I could afford one.
post #286 of 1357 Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this TV has a good picture for its size, maybe not worth 10k but good. smile.gif
Considering I paid $7900 for a 58" Pioneer Elite 610 in 1999 it doesn't seem that bad. Made the 4.5K I paid for the 80-632U last year seem cheap by comparison. Don't forget, it was only a couple of years ago that a 70" Sony went for about 20 grand!
post #287 of 1357 Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Considering I paid $7900 for a 58" Pioneer Elite 610 in 1999 it doesn't seem that bad. Made the 4.5K I paid for the 80-632U last year seem cheap by comparison. Don't forget, it was only a couple of years ago that a 70" Sony went for about 20 grand!

I remember buying the Sony 70" Qualia 006 used for 8k, well it was a store demo. It was going to 13K new. I wish I never sold it, it had one of the best pictures I had ever seen even to this day. However the optical block was sure to go sooner or later but still I wish I had kept it. Keeping it until it finally went under would have saved me money trying to find a set that had the same or better PQ. I am sure the Kuro did but I didn't want to go below 70".

Can't really afford the 90" now since I just bought the Elite 70" a few months back however I may sell it and find some more money to buy the 90". One of the forum sponsors has it for 1K under the normal price. The Elite has a great picture but I still love a large viewing area and I wish they made an 80" Elite. If they did I am sure it would be near 10K as well.
Perhaps they will in the near future. But from what I understand Sharp is struggling financially these days.

Did look at the Mits 82" and 92". Great size but PQ is not near an LED for brightness which is important to me.

Love your byline about rationalizing billdag ......me too. I can rationalize anything and then I'm broke too.
post #288 of 1357 Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

New review (August 23rd) of the Sharp LC-90LE745U.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sharp-lc-90le745u-3d-lcd-hdtv
post #289 of 1357 Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

A professional review at last. Thanks for posting!

Robbin
post #290 of 1357 Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 AM

Liked: 17
Is paying $10K for the 90" Sharp wise?
In my opinion no, as the marketplace is rapidly changing.

At these prices and size its better to only consider 4K displays.
One major benefit is the 3D picture quality should be better than ANY 2K LCD display.

Why?
Passive technology usually halves the 3D resolution, but with 4K, the full 3D resolution will be displayed for the first time.
This is the superior technical solution.

In other words, there is a complete reversal for 3D at 4K resolution. For 2K displays active 3D is better, but for 4K passive is better!

4K displays offer double the rez for 2D and full rez 3D which is bright and (most importantly) ghost-free. Consumers can have-it-all!
Can you handle this abrupt new way of thinking? Or do you want to stay with an expensive 90" ghoster?cool.gif

Note: Sharp needs to switchover to passive 4K panels. But can they? Not at all, as this would require all new production equipment and designs.
Sharp is already heavily in debt.

This explains why the Chinese have not introduced low-priced active 3D LCD flat panels, as passive panels are cheaper to manufacture, and largely avoid the ghosting issue.
Lose the battle, but win the war?
A rather ruthless but brilliant strategy.

http://www.stereoscopynews.com/hotnews/stereoscopic-displays/3d-ready-tv-sets/2619-my-84-lg-3d-tv-is-greater-than-yours.html
post #291 of 1357 Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Interresting review, thanks!
post #292 of 1357 Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

nice review. Still reminds me that 10k isnt justified. get it to 6 and we will talk
post #293 of 1357 Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

9K is the lowest I have seen it.
post #294 of 1357 Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Is paying $10K for the 90" Sharp wise?
In my opinion no, as the marketplace is rapidly changing.
At these prices and size its better to only consider 4K displays.
One major benefit is the 3D picture quality should be better than ANY 2K LCD display.
Why?
Passive technology usually halves the 3D resolution, but with 4K, the full 3D resolution will be displayed for the first time.
This is the superior technical solution.
In other words, there is a complete reversal for 3D at 4K resolution. For 2K displays active 3D is better, but for 4K passive is better!
4K displays offer double the rez for 2D and full rez 3D which is bright and (most importantly) ghost-free. Consumers can have-it-all!
Can you handle this abrupt new way of thinking? Or do you want to stay with an expensive 90" ghoster?cool.gif
Note: Sharp needs to switchover to passive 4K panels. But can they? Not at all, as this would require all new production equipment and designs.
Sharp is already heavily in debt.
This explains why the Chinese have not introduced low-priced active 3D LCD flat panels, as passive panels are cheaper to manufacture, and largely avoid the ghosting issue.
Lose the battle, but win the war?
A rather ruthless but brilliant strategy.
http://www.stereoscopynews.com/hotnews/stereoscopic-displays/3d-ready-tv-sets/2619-my-84-lg-3d-tv-is-greater-than-yours.html

I personally don't care about 3D, but generally agree that 4K is looming very large in the future and wonder whether this resolution will survive at this price point. It is always difficult to time television purchases but this price is not an impulse buy and will get most purchasers thinking.

That said, I have a three chip DLP projector and two of the last gen Kuros (RIP) and this tv -- because of the 90" -- prompted me, for the first time, to tell my wife "okay, I'm ready to consider an LCD tv".

By definition 50% of people are below the median.
post #295 of 1357 Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I look at it this way. If I am going to drop 10K on a large format display it better be future-proofed with 4K resolution. Whether I ever have 4K native material or not. In the mean time it can up-convert 1080p, while I wait to see what happens with 4K blu-ray and DirecTv 4K channels.
post #296 of 1357 Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

4K material is still too far away for me. Even though there is 4K video being shot now on the Red and other cameras, how long is it going to be before that video will makes it into our homes.

I am still considering the 90".
post #297 of 1357 Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman View Post

I personally don't care about 3D, but generally agree that 4K is looming very large in the future and wonder whether this resolution will survive at this price point. It is always difficult to time television purchases but this price is not an impulse buy and will get most purchasers thinking.
That said, I have a three chip DLP projector and two of the last gen Kuros (RIP) and this tv -- because of the 90" -- prompted me, for the first time, to tell my wife "okay, I'm ready to consider an LCD tv".

If I am reading this right, you already have the 90"? What are your impressions?
post #298 of 1357 Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think 4k is another gimmick much like 3d, 420mhz and any other marketing ploy you can come up with to sell sets.

However that withstanding it still makes the 90 a non value because of its over inflated price
post #299 of 1357 Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think is it over inflated, I just think it is expensive to build the larger LED panels.

The new Samsung UN75ES9000 75-Inch is 9K and that's 15 inches less.
post #300 of 1357 Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

yes and Samsung routinely over charges as well.

This set cost BB just under 7k to buy from Sharp. I am absolutely guessing its about 5k to produce.

ITs not the cost to build, but companies realizing they have killed themselves in the past with heavy discounting
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page