Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1357 Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

If I were to drop 9k on on tv, I would sure spend another 300 to have it prof ISF calibrated. wink.gif
Also not to steal any thunder away or sound arrogant but 90" will just seem small after a while just like all the other large tv's we've had in the past. It always seems great at 1st then your eyes gets used to it and it's like watching another tv set. When we 1st got the 100", I thought ok for sure this is it,,..but nope now I'm already bored with it.

The shrinking screen syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1357 Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I would just like to give Sharp a standing ovation and my highest respect for being the 1st to bring a 90" that is only 150 lbs (which was the same as my LG 60" plasma several yrs ago) and only 5" thin with so many extras. That is so amazing and user friendly and although it is kinda expensive at 9K, it's much more reasonable and affordable than Sony's past rip-offs and much bigger than 70".

"Sony's past rip-offs and much bigger than 70"."

oh i have a current one called the 84" 4k for 30k...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #363 of 1357 Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

"Sony's past rip-offs and much bigger than 70"."
oh i have a current one called the 84" 4k for 30k...

The Sony XBR-84X900? Is it out now?
post #364 of 1357 Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If I were to drop 9k on on tv, I would sure spend another 300 to have it prof ISF calibrated. wink.gif
Also not to steal any thunder away or sound arrogant but 90" will just seem small after a while just like all the other large tv's we've had in the past. It always seems great at 1st then your eyes gets used to it and it's like watching another tv set. When we 1st got the 100", I thought ok for sure this is it,,..but nope now I'm already bored with it.

I'll reply to this with my own personal opinion.

There will always be something bigger and better around the corner. That we all can be sure of. To that some would say you should continue to keep waiting and purchase nothing (the cycle of improvement never ends).

In my case the 90" works fine based on the dimension of the room. I may be able to get away with 100" but that would be max. Any larger and the placement of the sofa would seem strange with it being placed further back into the far side of the room opposite the screen. That said 90" is a very good size for my application. For me to consider a jump beyond 90" it may have to be "110 or so. Which means I'll need a bigger room. Which means I'll need a bigger house. Which means I'll need.......
post #365 of 1357 Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I had a 72 RPTV before my 65 panny. The size was just fine but the image was not up to my tastes. Now I feel my 65 has a very good picture but I would like something a little bigger as I kinda miss my 72 screen area. So i say to myself, why not go to 80 or even 90! But I certainly wouldn't go beyond 90 for the HT room size I have...
post #366 of 1357 Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard888 View Post

There will always be something bigger and better around the corner. That we all can be sure of. To that some would say you should continue to keep waiting and purchase nothing (the cycle of improvement never ends).
In my case the 90" works fine based on the dimension of the room. I may be able to get away with 100" but that would be max. Any larger and the placement of the sofa would seem strange with it being placed further back into the far side of the room opposite the screen. That said 90" is a very good size for my application. For me to consider a jump beyond 90" it may have to be "110 or so. Which means I'll need a bigger room. Which means I'll need a bigger house. Which means I'll need.......
I totally agree with you and that's why I stopped upgrading after 100",.. buying/upgrading 10 various rptv, plasmas, lcd, led in the past 14 yrs. It's like no matter what I get, after about 6 mos the sizzle/sparkle ends which is about the same time as most hollywood marriages. So the 100" Epson in the living room and my LG 46 LED in the bedroom I'm content with now. I'm not upgrading nothing until the really next gen worthy which is the 4k or 8k stuff cause it's pointless.

I don't know how far you're sitting back now with your 90" but right now with our 100" Epson 1080UB at 11 FT I'm bored with it and can go up to 120" because I use it mostly for movies which most of the time the aspect ratio is 2.35:1 which means with the black bars the 100" is even smaller.

And it's not just me who owns it and uses it regularly. I have many guests who come that have only 32" or 46" in their home and have never said my 100" is too big or too much.
post #367 of 1357 Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have a configuration question regarding this TV as I upgrade from a component-video projector system to a big-format LED TV and HDMI A/V sources.

I am contemplating using the 90-incher as an HDMI input switch rather than needing an AV Processor like the Marantz 7005/7007 to connect an HDMI Blu-ray player, Mac-Mini w/HDMI, cable box w/HDMI, maybe Roku, etc.. The TV has plenty of HDMI inputs from which to choose.

I already have a Parasound 7100 surround processor for my 7.1 amps/speakers system. But, it only has component video switching and won't do HDMI. As I looked at the 90LE745U connections, I see that it has an optical audio output that could route all the digital audio to the input of the Parasound 7100 and let it do the surround processing, yet the TV could serve as the HDMI input switcher. By using the Sharp 90's remote to select a desired input device, it would allow the TV remote and on-screen input selections to make operation obvious to novice users without lots of instructions on how to use a Marantz (or other) AV Processor as an intermediary.

The goal is simplification for my family, but my concern is digital audio pass-through quality as it is routed through the Sharp. Is using the Parasound via the Sharp's optical audio output a viable solution? Will there be any "trans-coding" or stripping of surround formats or other degradation of the digital audio inside the HDMI to Optical conversion done by the Sharp?

What can the experts here tell me about my idea?
post #368 of 1357 Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Totally agree I have been waiting to buy a tv for 2 years now, and everytime I am going to pull the trigger I hear or read that a bigger and better one is just around the corner and I end up with nothing. I still have a 46inch samsung for about 6 years now when ibought it it was the top of the line, 3 months later a better one came out I was pissed so now I am dying to upgrade to 75inch plus....

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #369 of 1357 Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

Totally agree I have been waiting to buy a tv for 2 years now, and everytime I am going to pull the trigger I hear or read that a bigger and better one is just around the corner and I end up with nothing. I still have a 46inch samsung for about 6 years now when ibought it it was the top of the line, 3 months later a better one came out I was pissed so now I am dying to upgrade to 75inch plus....

The 90" Sharp is probably as big as it gets for awhile. All the new bigger and better sets are branching off to 4K which are all ridiculously priced. 4K seems to be the new direction manufacturers seem to want to go.

I would think it is a good time to buy if the Sharp 90" or Samsung 75" come down in price.
post #370 of 1357 Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the samsung will or should have way better picture quality than the sharp 90 i think samsung has Micro Dimming Ultimate with Precision Black and sharp has local dimming. also samung has the evolution kit to keep upgrading for years to come according to the website.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN75ES9000FXZC-features

do you sacrifice pq for size??? hmmmmm

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #371 of 1357 Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Answer to post #367 - If it works the way my Sharp 735 does - the audio from the optical out, coming from any gear connected through the HDMI in's, will be Stereo only. If it's coming from the built-in tuner, it would be whatever the station is broadcasting, usually Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Surround. And you'll not have any of the high resolution audio from Blu-Ray's such as DTS HD Master or Dolby True HD. Best to pass through a proper prepro or receiver capable of decoding it all for best sound.
post #372 of 1357 Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Answer to post #367 - If it works the way my Sharp 735 does - the audio from the optical out, coming from any gear connected through the HDMI in's, will be Stereo only. If it's coming from the built-in tuner, it would be whatever the station is broadcasting, usually Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Surround. And you'll not have any of the high resolution audio from Blu-Ray's such as DTS HD Master or Dolby True HD. Best to pass through a proper prepro or receiver capable of decoding it all for best sound.

Thanks so much!

That's exactly what I wanted to know.
post #373 of 1357 Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

the samsung will or should have way better picture quality than the sharp 90 i think samsung has Micro Dimming Ultimate with Precision Black and sharp has local dimming. also samung has the evolution kit to keep upgrading for years to come according to the website.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN75ES9000FXZC-features
do you sacrifice pq for size??? hmmmmm

Yeah I think I would take size over PQ in this case. The Samsung has a lot of bells and whistles I don't want or need. 75" to 90" is a big jump.
post #374 of 1357 Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM

So Hard88 the 90 inch I ordered is sitting at my local dealer but I have put off delivery because the Home Theater review indicates a serious 3D problem which may affect these early run TVs. The author of the review says the Sharp guys are on it. I spoke to Sharp USA today and referred them to the review 3D issue. The guy promised to get back to me by tomorrow to advise if its software or hardware related. My question for you is have you had a chance to view any 3D on your machine to see if you have the bad cross talk/ghosting issue?

Thanks muchly

belvista
post #375 of 1357 Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by belvista View Post

So Hard88 the 90 inch I ordered is sitting at my local dealer but I have put off delivery because the Home Theater review indicates a serious 3D problem which may affect these early run TVs. The author of the review says the Sharp guys are on it. I spoke to Sharp USA today and referred them to the review 3D issue. The guy promised to get back to me by tomorrow to advise if its software or hardware related. My question for you is have you had a chance to view any 3D on your machine to see if you have the bad cross talk/ghosting issue?
Thanks muchly
belvista

Post the review?
post #376 of 1357 Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The review...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

New review (August 23rd) of the Sharp LC-90LE745U.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/sharp-lc-90le745u-3d-lcd-hdtv
post #377 of 1357 Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Liked: 11
:mad:Serious 3D crosstalk
post #378 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks muchly
belvista

I don't know what "crosstalk" means, but I just popped in Avatar 3D and watched it. Everything seems fine to me.

"Crosstalk" sounds like something negative affecting the performance and I do not see anything that suggests there is something wrong with the 3D performance of this 90" set.

Again, I would recommend that you go and sample the 3D performance at the store you purchased from. At my store, they had the 3D set up (glasses and content). I think if you are questioning the 3D on a set that will set you $9K+, it's worthwhile for you to sample it. On my end, I found the 3D to work just fine.

Good luck.
post #379 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

The review...

I just read the review and went to put in Tangled 3D and watched it. In the review it said that Tangled 3D had one of the worst 3D performances yet.

Here's my take. Overall the movie looked fine. I think the guy(s) writing the review are definitely professionals and know what to look for and when they zone in on it, it becomes a subconscious bother in their minds. So much so that it takes away from their enjoyment of the movie. From what I noticed of this "crosstalk" or "ghosting" effect, there was a little in the Tangled 3D movie. It was only in certain scenes where the background was darker that'd you notice it. Notice I said background (flat 3D image), because the actual image of the foreground (the actual 3D image popping out) suffers nothing. Futhermore, there was little of this artifact throughout the movie. In essence you see a translucent shadow of a particular object on screen, but the separation is really small. Enough to bother me? No not really. Again, when I'm watching the movie, the action objects are dominating the screen in 3D image and they do not suffer anything. These scenes where this "crosstalk" effect occurs are maybe 2% of the entire movie. To me that's being really picky.

However on Avatar 3D that I watched earlier, there was none of this going on.

So...is it the TV or the disc? My guess is the disc. Otherwise I would have noticed it on Avatar as well.
post #380 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was in a BB Magnolia store yesterday and watched about a half hour of 'Alice in Wonderland' in 3D on the 90". It looked terrific, I saw no ghosting or crosstalk.
I seem to recall someone in an earlier post mentioned this and called Sharp. Sharp said there were aware of this in the early models and are fixing the problem. Maybe the models out now have the 'fix' and thats what I was watching yesterday. It had no problems I could see.

I have the BD of 'Alice in Wonderland' 3D at home and have watched it on my Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and the 90" looked just as good with perhaps not quite the deep black levels of the Elite but real close.
post #381 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
The reviewer clearly states that he had a early production sample. It was He who called Sharp & was told they were working on it . The magazine has a long lead time between the writing , production & the printing . He states that he would update with a newer sample when Sharp sends one
I feel that Hard888 has a better chance of giving a fair & balanced review as he has a later full production model . Avatar is the " Gold Standard " for 3D production values .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #382 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM

I am going to go out on limb here and say that Sharp corrected the problem (if any) by the time these sets shipped. My reasoning is that they would be held liable if they released earlier sets with a known problem that was hardware related. If assuming there was a problem to begin with, then the only way I could see Sharp releasing the set (flagship 90") would be due to a software problem that can be upgraded. (The set has an update/upgrade feature if you connect it to the internet).

But please also make note that I didn't see the ghosting effect in Avatar 3D, while only barely noticing it in Tangled 3D (read my Tangled 3D review above). So I am led to believe that this ghosting issue from the professional review is either already corrected on the tv sets that are shipping or it was due to the way the 3D disc was encoded/made/filmed. Because if it was the TV set that had the problem, I would have seen it in the Avatar 3D movie. Not to mention DREAUX would have seen it in the Alice in Wonderland 3D movie as well.
post #383 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the updates Hard88. I hope you're right on your 3D take. I take delivery tomorrow on the strength of my dealer's assurance Sharp would rectify any problem even if it meant replacing the TV. Ironically though I'm closing in on 800 blu-rays the only 3D one I own is Coraline. Guess I'll better get an Oppo and get buying some 3D flix ha ha.

belvista
post #384 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the updates Hard88. I hope you're right on your 3D take. I take delivery tomorrow on the strength of my dealer's assurance Sharp would rectify any problem even if it meant replacing the TV. Ironically though I'm closing in on 800 blu-rays the only 3D one I own is Coraline. Guess I'll better get an Oppo and get buying some 3D flix ha ha.
belvista
Good for You ! ! !
I'm Extremely Jealous rolleyes.gif
I really want a 90" even thou I have a 80" my Home Theater is my main hobby , I'm not a "buy the Best every year" type but BIG is most important to me cool.gif

Display & speakers are THE important items on my list wink.gif

Mike

post #385 of 1357 Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM

I hear you Fastslappy. Never ever heard of a guy who bought a TV and 6 months later looks at it and says to himself I should have gotten a smaller one. Doesn't happen. I see they're bickering over on the settings thread. Wonder whose settings to try. Hard88?
post #386 of 1357 Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I just read the review and went to put in Tangled 3D and watched it. In the review it said that Tangled 3D had one of the worst 3D performances yet.
Here's my take. Overall the movie looked fine. I think the guy(s) writing the review are definitely professionals and know what to look for and when they zone in on it, it becomes a subconscious bother in their minds. So much so that it takes away from their enjoyment of the movie. From what I noticed of this "crosstalk" or "ghosting" effect, there was a little in the Tangled 3D movie. It was only in certain scenes where the background was darker that'd you notice it. Notice I said background (flat 3D image), because the actual image of the foreground (the actual 3D image popping out) suffers nothing. Futhermore, there was little of this artifact throughout the movie. In essence you see a translucent shadow of a particular object on screen, but the separation is really small. Enough to bother me? No not really. Again, when I'm watching the movie, the action objects are dominating the screen in 3D image and they do not suffer anything. These scenes where this "crosstalk" effect occurs are maybe 2% of the entire movie. To me that's being really picky.
However on Avatar 3D that I watched earlier, there was none of this going on.
So...is it the TV or the disc? My guess is the disc. Otherwise I would have noticed it on Avatar as well.

The reviewer also noted that the tested unit was an early sample that wasn't working up to par as far as 3D performance was concerned and that Sharp engineers were working to have the problem fixed by the time full-production units were sent to dealers.
So, according to your own observations with your LC-90LE745U, the problem appears to have been fixed.
post #387 of 1357 Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

belvista

I am jealous too. If I could sell my set I would be getting the 90" as well.

Enjoy your set.
post #388 of 1357 Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

belvista

The only thing I would point out as a word of caution, seems Sharp is on the verge of bankruptcy per their recent news. They might pull out but they might also fold soon so support long term may or not be there from Sharp.

"Sharp has mortgaged its offices and factory buildings in order to raise the cash it needs to stay in business, according to Reuters. It's cut a deal with banks for nearly $2 billion in short-term credit secured on its assets -- including the factory that reportedly produces displays for the iPhone. Sharp had pinned its hopes on cash from Hon Hai, but the Chinese giant is apparently delaying the money with the aim of gaining more control over Sharp's business. In response, Sharp has pledged to send president Takashi Okuda to meet Hon Hai's Terry Gou in Taipei -- just as soon as it's scraped together the air-fare."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/s...tgages-itself/
post #389 of 1357 Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I hear you Fastslappy. Never ever heard of a guy who bought a TV and 6 months later looks at it and says to himself I should have gotten a smaller one. Doesn't happen. I see they're bickering over on the settings thread. Wonder whose settings to try. Hard88?

I've not visited the settings thread. Could someone post the link here? I'm new to the forum and haven't really navigated the site fully yet.

To that I will also say that I haven't messed around with the settings. TV seems mostly fine to me out of the box. I think I've turned off Film Mode. That's about it.
post #390 of 1357 Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

here's a Sharp 94" display , This was pre-viewed at Cedia yesterday

Quote:
The media area in the future home boasted an enormous 94” flat panel display from Sharp

NO info other than that one line .......a damn cruel tease rolleyes.gif

Mike

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page