Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1357 Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the feed back guys!

Crosstalk is seeing a bit of the left eye image with your right eye and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1357 Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM

Liked: 10
Online manual says power consumption is 381 watts but the press releases say it uses less energy than 2x75W light bulbs (I've seen 138 watts listed). Any owner have a kill-a-watt who can clear up the discrepancy? I have been running front projection for 10+ years now but in our new apartment, the man cave is quite small. The electronics really heat up the room.

This 90-incher is quite tempting for my situation even if it is a bit expensive. Just 10" smaller than our projection setup but watchable with the lights on and I could paint the room in a less depressing color. But, our projector consumes 280W, if the Sharp really consumes 100W more that probably doesn't work for us.
post #453 of 1357 Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 14
I was in my local Costco yesterday and they had the displays of the 80 and 90 set up thus (see pic). The 80" looked miniscule but was 6-8 feet behind the 90". Obvious optical illusion due to distance. For those who have "inch fever" - wouldn't it make sense to move the couch closer a foot or two rather than spend another 5-6 grand? I know all the recs about "optimum viewing distance" but I really don't see pixels until I am quite close to my 80".

post #454 of 1357 Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

I was in my local Costco yesterday and they had the displays of the 80 and 90 set up thus (see pic). The 80" looked miniscule but was 6-8 feet behind the 90". Obvious optical illusion due to distance. For those who have "inch fever" - wouldn't it make sense to move the couch closer a foot or two rather than spend another 5-6 grand? I know all the recs about "optimum viewing distance" but I really don't see pixels until I am quite close to my 80".
If I had the cash I'd buy a 90" er in a heartbeat . . . . I have a 80" er Size matters , if you have the wad you go big . . . . . .

As usual, Fastslappy’s opinion is the definitive one

and the only one that counts, at least to me. L O L

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #455 of 1357 Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Even if I had the money I would hold off. I saw it at BB and the sheer size is impressive. The picture is also very nice, but there is just to much change coming. At the very least I would wait for Sharp's "Moth Eye" glare free glass that is said to eliminate glare and increase contrast. Don't know if the have it in 90", but confirmed for 60", 70" and 80" next year, so I don't see why not. You also have possibility of IGZO, ICC-4K and maybe IPS. However, If you need a set right now and want one of the larger sizes, the 80" is hard to pass up at sub $4,000 street prices.
post #456 of 1357 Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Saw the 80" 844 set on 'Dynamic Fixed' which is supposed to be quite bright and it still looked flat. Same setting on the 90" and it had pop and didn't look near as flat. To me the 90" has a better picture than the 80" so it is not just a matter of size to me.

I want a 90"!! If I only had the money.....
post #457 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM

I do think the factory settings on the 90 inch are better than on the 80, and it may process motion better, but once adjusted, they look pretty much the same.
post #458 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Moving next month and considering either one of these 90 inch Sharps or a projector (never owned a projector before). Anybody that bought the 90 go through the same decision process (projector vs 90 inch panel). What made you favor the 90 over a projector? My HT will go into a basement so light really isn't a factor for me for a projector. I saw the 90 at BB and another store and it impressed me more than I thought it would. Any input/opinions would be appreciatted.
post #459 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^-A 90" Sharp is a great big tv set. A projector setup is a Home Theater Display. If the almost sole use of the setup is watching movies go with the projector. If you want to have your buddies over for football and not have to watch in a pitch dark environment, get the Sharp.

Steve S.
post #460 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM

I'm struggling with the decision on what TV to upgrade to.

I like big, so 90" is my preference, but since I'm coming from a 70" even 80" is better.

The mitsubishi is much cheaper however so price and value is a consideration.

I finally saw the 90" sharp in action at the local BB. They were playing avengers and the picture was very crisp. Colors really stood out and it was clear that this set would perform well without controlled lighting....

But, I think the way the set was calibrated made it look a little off. It was beautiful, but it looked more like a video instead of a movie. I don't remember if that's the way the avengers was originally shot, but I like a more film like appearance.

I'm sure with proper calibration it will look great. There are no longer mits sets available locally to see.....
post #461 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I'm struggling with the decision on what TV to upgrade to.

I like big, so 90" is my preference, but since I'm coming from a 70" even 80" is better.

The mitsubishi is much cheaper however so price and value is a consideration.

I finally saw the 90" sharp in action at the local BB. They were playing avengers and the picture was very crisp. Colors really stood out and it was clear that this set would perform well without controlled lighting....

But, I think the way the set was calibrated made it look a little off. It was beautiful, but it looked more like a video instead of a movie. I don't remember if that's the way the avengers was originally shot, but I like a more film like appearance.

I'm sure with proper calibration it will look great. There are no longer mits sets available locally to see.....

Film Mode was probably on and set to advanced. Advanced setting activates frame interpoation which induces SOE that often makes a movie look like a Video as if it was filmed by a (amateur) video camera at 60i.

I am also struggling with the decision on what TV to upgrade to. I would really like to have a 90 incher in my HT room now and came very close to buy one but, the idea that a second gen 80 or 90 Elite or at least a Sharp branded 80 or 90 local dimmer could be just around the corner is keeping me from pulling the trigger...
post #462 of 1357 Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post

I do think the factory settings on the 90 inch are better than on the 80, and it may process motion better, but once adjusted, they look pretty much the same.

Not in my experience of viewing both at 2 BB's. Both were on 'Fixed Dynamic". The screen on the 80" seemed to have more of a matte finish than the 90".
post #463 of 1357 Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
the 90 is no longer the largest LED out there.

My god I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/Hc-7ztJpLNo
post #464 of 1357 Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

the 90 is no longer the largest LED out there.
My god I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://youtu.be/Hc-7ztJpLNo

I saw one at my local Costco. It had really horrible banding. biggrin.gif

FOR SALE - Definitive Technology CLR3000. PM me if interested.
post #465 of 1357 Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apologize in advance if I missed info on the "moth eye"screes. Can I get the info please???
post #466 of 1357 Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Apologize in advance if I missed info on the "moth eye"screes. Can I get the info please???

See link here from engadget.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #467 of 1357 Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Not in my experience of viewing both at 2 BB's. Both were on 'Fixed Dynamic". The screen on the 80" seemed to have more of a matte finish than the 90".

I guess everyone sees things differently, but I watch both every day, and they look the same to me. I also watch the 70 every morning, and it looks the same too. Pre-sets are another story, though. All very different. To be clear, 70 is in exercise room, 80 is in bedrrom and 90 is in family room.
post #468 of 1357 Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post

I guess everyone sees things differently, but I watch both every day, and they look the same to me. I also watch the 70 every morning, and it looks the same too. Pre-sets are another story, though. All very different. To be clear, 70 is in exercise room, 80 is in bedrrom and 90 is in family room.

You have a 70, 80 and 90?? Any pictures?

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #469 of 1357 Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Does anyone know where I can see one of these in the San Jose,CA area? I tried Fry's (they're advertising them) but they said they don't have any on display.
post #470 of 1357 Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 116
If your local Best Buy has a Magnolia section, they usually have them.
post #471 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Went to Bestbuy.com & magnoliaav.com and did a product search. Both said there are none in my area (heart of silicon valley?). Maybe the sites are OOD. I guess I'll swing by the one in Almaden.
post #472 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Film Mode was probably on and set to advanced. Advanced setting activates frame interpoation which induces SOE that often makes a movie look like a Video as if it was filmed by a (amateur) video camera at 60i.
I am also struggling with the decision on what TV to upgrade to. I would really like to have a 90 incher in my HT room now and came very close to buy one but, the idea that a second gen 80 or 90 Elite or at least a Sharp branded 80 or 90 local dimmer could be just around the corner is keeping me from pulling the trigger...

Totally agree.
post #473 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special FX_45 View Post

I saw one at my local Costco. It had really horrible banding. biggrin.gif

Was it this one? the link is not working for me

http://eaechina.en.made-in-china.com/offer/VMoEvNCxMHcO/Sell-2012-New-100-Inch-All-in-One-PC-TV-Multi-Touch-WiFi-Bluetooth-Eaechina.html

____________________________________________________________ ________________________
New eras don't come about because of swords, they're created by the people who wield them.

"Kenshin Himura"
post #474 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhtucker View Post

Totally agree.

There are rumours of newer tvs coming out bigger like for sharps 100th anniversary they will make a 100 inch tv i read that somewhere, also a bigger elite. Not sure if they can manage that now with their current situation. So i am with you all i am also holding out for a while longer

____________________________________________________________ ________________________
New eras don't come about because of swords, they're created by the people who wield them.

"Kenshin Himura"
post #475 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked: 17
Hay just an update on the Tv so far picture is fantastic Picture is sharp detailed and rich.

Only bad thing is i have one lone bad Red pixel that went dark but its not a big deal as its in the lower left section of the screen.

Other then the one pixel its awesum and the size is great and impact of picture is right up there with my Projector.

Anyone wanting this should go out there and grab on there fantastic untill the 4k sets come down to human pricing smile.gif

Asab.....................biggrin.gif

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #476 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-himura View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhtucker View Post

Totally agree.

There are rumours of newer tvs coming out bigger like for sharps 100th anniversary they will make a 100 inch tv i read that somewhere, also a bigger elite. Not sure if they can manage that now with their current situation. So i am with you all i am also holding out for a while longer

Well... that makes 3 of us waiting!biggrin.gif

I also heard something about a possible 100 incher and another 90 incher from Sharp a few weeks ago from a salesman in an Hi-Fi store where I go once in a while. He had heard that "rumor" from a Sharp sale representative. He also talked about a possible 2nd gen Elite and Sharp branded local dimming (big) units that could come out by april of next year but insisted that those where only rumors. I hope CES will deliver some good news in january.

Gee... that remembers me of how I was feeling last year at this time: Back then I was hopping to see local dimming in the upcoming (now current) 90 unit! rolleyes.gif

Patience is the key...cool.gif
post #477 of 1357 Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well... that makes 3 of us waiting!biggrin.gif
I also heard something about a possible 100 incher and another 90 incher from Sharp a few weeks ago from a salesman in an Hi-Fi store where I go once in a while. He had heard that "rumor" from a Sharp sale representative. He also talked about a possible 2nd gen Elite and Sharp branded local dimming (big) units that could come out by april of next year but insisted that those where only rumors. I hope CES will deliver some good news in january.
Gee... that remembers me of how I was feeling last year at this time: Back then I was hopping to see local dimming in the upcoming (now current) 90 unit! rolleyes.gif
Patience is the key...cool.gif
YUP !
I wait as well.... that why I got the 80"632 when I did

when the newer larger models hit & then when they prove to issue free I'll up-grade to those in 90" + range rolleyes.gif

Mike

post #478 of 1357 Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

well I just ordered a 90 inch !!!!!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING
post #479 of 1357 Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're a tease smile.gif
Suzook likes this.

Mike

post #480 of 1357 Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page