Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1357 Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

After a day with the 90" I feel the trade off of PQ from the Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 to the 90" is definitely worth it. Its not quite as sharp as the Elite 70" nor are the blacks as deep as the elite but I think I only will see that with high quality Blu-rays. For everyday Directv viewing it is about the same, except it is 20" larger!
I am going from Directv/blu-ray (Cambridge Azur 751BD) to my AVR..a SONY STR-DA5700ES (used as a switcher) to the back of the TV in HDMI 1. All cables are HMDI 1.4a high speed. I have a Dabee but right now have it set at 0 so I can see the set as it is.
As I said the blacks aren't as deep but they are real close. The sharpness is close to the the Elite but it is 20"s bigger which is to be expected.
Right now I have it on 'user settings'. The Dynamic is too bright and Movie too dark for me but all this is so subjective. I am sure everyone has a different idea of what looks good. In the 'user setting' all I did was raise the saturation 1 point and sharpness 1 point, the rest I left alone. When I see some setting posted online I will try them. I guess the online settings for the 80" will work?
I feel like I traded in a Ferrari for a Cadillac Escalade. Still have the luxury and more room but not as fast. I am very happy with the trade off for size.
I took some pics but I got banding, I will take some more but have to use a different shutter speed on my Nikon.
PLZ try the Suzook 632 80" settings , the processing engine is very similar between the 2 displays as they both are 120 motion & 3 color pixels ;
here's the famous setting ..these were done by the highly rated calibrator Kevin Miller ( he is claimed to be the best in the business by many on AVS )

Suzook's settings ;

OPC Off
Backlight +1
Contrast +28
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Advanced Value
C.M.S. - Hue
R 0
Y +2
G -10
C -9
B 0
M +2

C.M.S. - Saturation
R 0
Y -10
G -5
C 0
B 0
M 0
C.M.S. - Value
R -2
Y -2
G +3
C -18
B +10
M -12
Color Temp. Low
R Gain (LO) +1
G Gain (LO) 0
B Gain (LO) +1
R Gain (HI) 0
G Gain (HI) 0
B Gain (HI) -8
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Lo
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
DNR Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC NA

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1357 Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Congrats!
If you have a chance could you please try those settings from Home theater review in movie mode (for a very dark room environment) and tell us how you feel about the black level with them? and the overall brightness in a pitch black room? In the store it was way too dim... and the store had no bright lights.
Contrast +2
Brightness +1
Backlight –12
Gamma –1.
And does the 90 size win over the 70 PQ?

Way too dim I am afraid.
post #543 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some pics. You see some banding that the camera created but you do not see with the eye. Cameras never do these types of shots justice. It looks much better to the naked eye.

post #544 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I would try Fastslappy's suggestion to use Suzook's settings. The higher Contrast alone should raise the set out of the valley of dimness compared to the other suggested settings.

Even without settings adjusted, the limitations of the shot, and my viewing it on my PC screen, it looks pretty darn good to me. Very cinematic at that size. You will definitely make new friends. (Just don't rely on them too much.)

Now, all you need are blackout curtains!
post #545 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ok everyone send me cash so I can buy a 90 smile.gif
post #546 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

PLZ try the Suzook 632 80" settings , the processing engine is very similar between the 2 displays as they both are 120 motion & 3 color pixels ;
here's the famous setting ..these were done by the highly rated calibrator Kevin Miller ( he is claimed to be the best in the business by many on AVS )
Suzook's settings ;
OPC Off
Backlight +1
Contrast +28
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Advanced Value
C.M.S. - Hue
R 0
Y +2
G -10
C -9
B 0
M +2
C.M.S. - Saturation
R 0
Y -10
G -5
C 0
B 0
M 0
C.M.S. - Value
R -2
Y -2
G +3
C -18
B +10
M -12
Color Temp. Low
R Gain (LO) +1
G Gain (LO) 0
B Gain (LO) +1
R Gain (HI) 0
G Gain (HI) 0
B Gain (HI) -8
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Lo
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
DNR Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC NA

I plugged in these settings to my "Movie' settings and it truly looks calibrated. Not sure of one setting which is 'Range of OPC' NA. There are settings there so don't understand NA unless it is to remain untouched.
It looks exactly the way my Elite looked on ISF day.
Works perfectly for a 'Movie' setting which I will use for Blu-ray viewing.
post #547 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 10
dreaux,

The pictures you took above, is it with or without those calibrated settings plugging.

Please do share some pictures before and after.

Thank you!
post #548 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

dreaux,
The pictures you took above, is it with or without those calibrated settings plugging.
Please do share some pictures before and after.
Thank you!

No these pictures where taken on the 'Standard' setting, with saturation up 1 and sharpness up 1, nothing else has been changed.
post #549 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:

Congrats!
If you have a chance could you please try those settings from Home theater review in movie mode (for a very dark room environment) and tell us how you feel about the black level with them? and the overall brightness in a pitch black room? In the store it was way too dim... and the store had no bright lights.
Contrast +2
Brightness +1
Backlight –12
Gamma –1.
And does the 90 size win over the 70 PQ?

Way too dim I am afraid.

I thought so... So it seems those measured .005 blacks in that review are not very "pratical"..rolleyes.gif
post #550 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some pics. You see some banding that the camera created but you do not see with the eye. Cameras never do these types of shots justice. It looks much better to the naked eye.

Nice pics dreaux, thanks for sharing!
post #551 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks exactly the way my Elite looked on ISF day..

That is a big statement you just posted there!eek.gif It makes it even harder for me to wait some more... at least until CES... I... feel...pain... wink.gif
post #552 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a big statement you just posted there!eek.gif It makes it even harder for me to wait some more... at least until CES... I... feel...pain... wink.gif

I think I should qualify that....I may have misspoke. It looks like the setting my Elite had on ISF day, but minus the Elite deep blacks and excellent sharpness. But again real close.

I watched a Blu-ray tonight with Suzook's setting and it looked great and I was pleasantly surprised to see the 90" was able to handle the high rez very well and was extremely sharp.
With an excellent source the image looks terrific.
post #553 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Do you game at all on it? Just curious if the input lag is really bad. I have a 75" LaserVue right now and it is OK for lag...I'd guess this is probably worse. Problem is, the LaserVue also does some weird juddery stuff that I don't see on a lot of material, but see a lot of during gaming. So.... Ugh. My wife is so against a new set, lol, but...I would love to put the 90" on the wall....!
post #554 of 1357 Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

I think I should qualify that....I may have misspoke. It looks like the setting my Elite had on ISF day, but minus the Elite deep blacks and excellent sharpness. But again real close.
I watched a Blu-ray tonight with Suzook's setting and it looked great and I was pleasantly surprised to see the 90" was able to handle the high rez very well and was extremely sharp.
Yeah I figured those setting would work for you ..
Suzook likes this.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #555 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Your info has been great. Keep it coming....

How far away do you sit?

Have you used 3D? If so, how is it?

Any disappointments yet?
post #556 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Do you game at all on it? Just curious if the input lag is really bad. I have a 75" LaserVue right now and it is OK for lag...I'd guess this is probably worse. Problem is, the LaserVue also does some weird juddery stuff that I don't see on a lot of material, but see a lot of during gaming. So.... Ugh. My wife is so against a new set, lol, but...I would love to put the 90" on the wall....!

I have played 'Dishonored' on Xbox with it and see no lag. Have it set on 120.
post #557 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Your info has been great. Keep it coming....
How far away do you sit?
Have you used 3D? If so, how is it?
Any disappointments yet?

I sit at 10 1/2 feet. Before I had the Elite I had a Mits 84" and that was the distance I had with that. BTW the image quality over the Mits is ...no contrest. The 90" is so much better.
Yes I have viewed 3D with Avitar. Looks really good, I see none of the ghosting a reviewer had mentioned. He did say Sharp said they were working on it a while back so the one I got must have the fix.

No disappointments.....I had a little over the blacks and sharpness that I would be missing giving up the Elite however after watching a high quality Blu-ray last night, it looked as good as I could have wished for. So for me the size more than makes up for the minor loss in blacks.

However when switching between inputs the screen is black but doesn't have the inky black of the Elite. The Elite does have after all the best picture I have ever seen, even over the Panasonic VT50 IMO. But the cinamatic experience of the 90" is worth the trade off.

I have a DVDO edge video processor but I have not hooked it in the chain yet. I wanted to see the true picture. I may add it later on for any sharpness or edge enchancement I may feel I need. Not sure I need it tho.
post #558 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I sit at 10 1/2 feet. Before I had the Elite I had a Mits 84" and that was the distance I had with that. BTW the image quality over the Mits is ...no contrest. The 90" is so much better.
Yes I have viewed 3D with Avitar. Looks really good, I see none of the ghosting a reviewer had mentioned. He did say Sharp said they were working on it a while back so the one I got must have the fix.
No disappointments.....I had a little over the blacks and sharpness that I would be missing giving up the Elite however after watching a high quality Blu-ray last night, it looked as good as I could have wished for. So for me the size more than makes up for the minor loss in blacks.

However when switching between inputs the screen is black but doesn't have the inky black of the Elite. The Elite does have after all the best picture I have ever seen, even over the Panasonic VT50 IMO. But the cinamatic experience of the 90" is worth the trade off.
I have a DVDO edge video processor but I have not hooked it in the chain yet. I wanted to see the true picture. I may add it later on for any sharpness or edge enchancement I may feel I need. Not sure I need it tho.

Thank you. I find this very useful and it is really helping with my decision...

I ask about 3D because until two weeks ago, I never saw a decent 3D demo on a television.

At HH Gregg, they had a SHARP 80" with a 3D demo. It looked really, really good.

I was wondering if the 90" had as good a 3D picture....

Thank you,

Jack
post #559 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

ok everyone send me cash so I can buy a 90 smile.gif

A very clever plan.

Let me know how it works out. eek.gif
post #560 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your backlight setting?
post #561 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your backlight setting?

In 'movie' mode +1. In 'user' mode +12. I like the user setting better, but most may prefer a lesser setting for backlight. I like a bit of a 'pop' look better, higher contrast and saturation. Not a torch mode but more 'pop' than a calibrated look.
post #562 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Which Film Mode setting do you use? Home Theater reviewer suggested advanced 1. I tried it at the store but not long enough to really get an idea. Still I felt that advanced 2 to 10 induced too much artefacts to be watchable... while +1 seemed to eliminate some judder without adding too much artefacts and SOE... What is your take on this?

Also, in cinema mode, many BD demo scenes on the unit I saw had a more pronounced yellow cast in skin tones than what I'm used to with my 2 Panny's. How do you feel the skin tones on the 90 compare to the Elite you had.
post #563 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which Film Mode setting do you use? Home Theater reviewer suggested advanced 1. I tried it at the store but not long enough to really get an idea. Still I felt that advanced 2 to 10 induced too much artefacts to be watchable... while +1 seemed to eliminate some judder without adding too much artefacts and SOE... What is your take on this?
Also, in cinema mode, many BD demo scenes on the unit I saw had a more pronounced yellow cast in skin tones than what I'm used to with my 2 Panny's. How do you feel the skin tones on the 90 compare to the Elite you had.

I use Film mode advanced +5, I haven't noticed any SOE. Do not see any artifacts, when I do it is usually created with too much sharpness. However that +5 may be too much for you, for me its OK.

Yes, in the 'Movie' mode it is definitely too yellow and flat for me. The is why I used Suzook setting on the 'Movie Mode'. since I didn't like it and figured Suzooks had to be better and they were. For regular viewing (watching CNN's election coverage) I use 'User' settings. I found 'user' and 'standard' setting are a good place to start for me. Since I watch a lot of sports (video) and Docs/news (video) I get a 'video' look. For Blu-ray I use Suzooks settings for film.

I have found you can get about any look you feel comfortable with so I don't know what works best for you. I tend to like a look with 'pop' and higher saturation where most videophiles/purest like more of a film/calibrated look.
I am probably the wrong person to ask what works if you like a calibrated look.

I found the 'THX' settings on the Elite as too yellow, 'movie' mode too flat. The perfect set would be a 90" Elite but God knows what it would cost.

Bottom line ....I love my 90'....my friends wonder and worry why I need such a big screen......some things you just can't explain ya know.
post #564 of 1357 Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm soo ready for a 90 inch Sharp - just not financially. So I'm just going to be envious from a far - maybe one day I'll save enough. Keep those pictures coming!
post #565 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more pics. You see some noise in the pictures that I do not see with the naked eye. They really look much better than this especially the Avitar pics. I think you are seeing the pattern of the sceen that the camera is picking up.
It really puts out a sharp image for such a large sceen.

post #566 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks for sharing......are these picture with Suzook's setting?
post #567 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be interesting to see a Darblet used with this display.
post #568 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

Thanks for sharing......are these picture with Suzook's setting?

No these are out of the box 'standard' settings. I will try and post Suzooks setting from a blu-ray next week. Still playing with the settings to see what works best for regular viewing.
post #569 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

It would be interesting to see a Darblet used with this display.

I have a Darbee, I will hook it up and use Suzook setting on a blu-ray and take some pics. Haven't hooked up the Darbee since I wanted to see how it looked with out it.
post #570 of 1357 Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the replies dreaux, very appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page