Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1357 Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

A large sharp was featured on the Jimmy Fallon show. They were showing some games with the new wii. It looked really big, I thought it was a 90 but the frame was glossy like the 80. Unless they have a bigger model out there.
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/reggie-fils-aime-11-16-12/1424403/
Jimmy has that for a couple of years now smile.gif

IIRC it's a 110"er Sharp has made larger displays as well over the years .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1357 Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My job takes me into some VERY high end homes in south Florida. One house I was in had a dedicated theater with a 130" or 135" Sharp. The owners son-in-law said it was one of four made. I don't know what sizes they have made in the past, but 90" is definitely not the largest.
post #633 of 1357 Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

My job takes me into some VERY high end homes in south Florida. One house I was in had a dedicated theater with a 130" or 135" Sharp. The owners son-in-law said it was one of four made. I don't know what sizes they have made in the past, but 90" is definitely not the largest.

Yeah, they've made a tiny number of prototypes of 100+". There was one just north of 100" as well as whatever you saw.

But the 90" is the largest regular production model they've ever made.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #634 of 1357 Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Some new pics shot in the 'movie mode' with Suzooks settings. Blu-ray of Avitar from a Chambrdge Audio Azur 751 blu-ray player.
Again some banding seen but not to the naked eye. Seems no matter what shutter speed I use it still is there to some degree.

Dreaux,

How did your display look out of the box?

The reason I'm asking is that I REALLY want to love this display. I want to bite the financial bullet and get it.

But....

I have NEVER seen on properly set up. I went to best buy yesterday. It was so poorly set up that I couldn't stand it. SOE as well as other artifiacts. Then I went to HHGregg. They didn't have a 90, but they had an 80 set up. It looked horrible..... I showed the salesman, and he said "I see what you mean", "I never noticed that before"....

So, I'm hopeful that the in home calibration will eliminate the poor display I've seen so far...

BTW, at best buy, they had a 73" mitsubishi DLP. I think they are closing them out.... The mistubishi looked 100 times better.....

As I said, I REALLY want to love this TV. Just don't feel it yet.
post #635 of 1357 Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Dreaux,
The reason I'm asking is that I REALLY want to love this display. I want to bite the financial bullet and get it.
But....
I have NEVER seen on properly set up. I went to best buy yesterday. It was so poorly set up that I couldn't stand it. SOE as well as other artifiacts. Then I went to HHGregg. They didn't have a 90, but they had an 80 set up. It looked horrible..... I showed the salesman, and he said "I see what you mean", "I never noticed that before"....
So, I'm hopeful that the in home calibration will eliminate the poor display I've seen so far...
BTW, at best buy, they had a 73" mitsubishi DLP. I think they are closing them out.... The mistubishi looked 100 times better.....
What other guys have done is taken Suzooks settings, printed out & gone into Best Buy gotten the remote for themselves & added those setting . this would not work out this weekend but on Monday when things have quieted down some what from Black Friday maddness .

If the BB clerks give you a hard time just say . . . . . . .
"If I'm gonna drop that much $$$ on a display I insist on adjusting the settings 1st "

Alot of guys on the 80" threads have done with great success , I even did it at a Costco on a 80" 632
the Costco guy just went " WoW " when I was done . I then ordered on-line @ US Appliance due to a over 1K savings @ the time over the Costco price & sales tax difference , that & the free delivery

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #636 of 1357 Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Dreaux,
But....

Well if the Mits DLP looked better there is something wrong. I had the Mits 82837 (the Diamond, I believe) and the Sharp looks a great deal better....and much brighter with better blacks. Often BB and others have the set using component with a split signal going to a number of other sets.
What were they playing? At least a blu-ray player is not sending a split signal and is most likely using an HDMI cable. I would judge with that.
You are welcome to come by my place and see it if you feel like the drive. We are pretty close to PA.

I am basically using out of the box settings on Standard and User. But I like a bright picture with a color "pop'. Most people on this thread would use Suzooks setting for regular viewing, I only use it for blu-ray viewing.

But if you still don't feel you like the set after trying Suzooks settings at the store it may not be for you. If you want a knockout jaw dropping PQ the Sharp Elite may be for you. The 90" is not as good as the Elite but for me size makes up the difference. Most programing at its source is not very good to begin with. You just are not going to get a pristine picture out of regular programing on any set. It may up convert but its still only as good as the source.
Seems the best PQ I see other than Blu-ray are high end commercials.

Its a big big investment so I would absolutely be sure before I would buy. For me at BB they were running 'Alice in Wonderland' on Blu-ray and it looked terrific. If you don't see anything that looks terrific on the set then I would wait for something else to come along.
post #637 of 1357 Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Well if the Mits DLP looked better there is something wrong. I had the Mits 82837 (the Diamond, I believe) and the Sharp looks a great deal better....and much brighter with better blacks. Often BB and others have the set using component with a split signal going to a number of other sets.
What were they playing? At least a blu-ray player is not sending a split signal and is most likely using an HDMI cable. I would judge with that.
You are welcome to come by my place and see it if you feel like the drive. We are pretty close to PA.
I am basically using out of the box settings on Standard and User. But I like a bright picture with a color "pop'. Most people on this thread would use Suzooks setting for regular viewing, I only use it for blu-ray viewing.
But if you still don't feel you like the set after trying Suzooks settings at the store it may not be for you. If you want a knockout jaw dropping PQ the Sharp Elite may be for you. The 90" is not as good as the Elite but for me size makes up the difference. Most programing at its source is not very good to begin with. You just are not going to get a pristine picture out of regular programing on any set. It may up convert but its still only as good as the source.
Its a big big investment so I would absolutely be sure before I would buy. For me at BB they were running 'Alice in Wonderland' on Blu-ray and it looked terrific. If you don't see anything that looks terrific on the set then I would wait for something else to come along.

Dreaux,

I may take you up on the visit.... I didn't notice you were in DC....

I appreciate your comments. I'm hoping its just the way the store(s) have it set up.

One had Avengers playing Blu Ray. It had tremendous SOE. Looked like a cheap video....

The other was a split signal (component I think). Looked bad.

I may take the advice and go to BB and calibrate the set using Suzook's settings and also bring my own blu ray.

I do think the size will make up for the Elite quality loss....

Thank you,

Jack
post #638 of 1357 Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 PM

I finally found a store that have both the Samsung ES9000 and Sharp 90". In comparing the 2 TV (showing the same show).

Color - same ( I don't see any differences)

PQ - Again same

Brightness - ES9000 is better

Design - ES9000 (ultra thin bezel) has sophisticated Smart Interaction technology enables you to operate your TV without pushing a button ( motion control, voice control "Hi TV, power ON") . I prefer the traditional remote control method

Panel Heat dissipation - Samsung panel feel warm (much higher than room temperature) on the front and back. Sharp has better heat dissipation, the panel is not even warm

I ordered the Sharp 90" from them and to be delivered this coming Wednesday. I paid much cheaper than bestbuy Canada. OP tittle clearly say [No Price Talk] so I stop here.

I will use Suzooks settings until the TV is at 100 hours then I will it get calibrated.
post #639 of 1357 Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations!! I have not seen the Samsung ES9000 so I can't comment on its PQ but I do know that it has a lot of bells and whistles that I would never use. Makes me wonder how much I am paying for frills instead of build quality.

I think you are going to enjoy the Sharp plus you pick up 15".
post #640 of 1357 Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks dreaux!

I gain 15" vs you gain 20"...I guess size beat quality:D
post #641 of 1357 Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Be curious to hear of your impressions of the Sharp vs. the Samsung. As I understand it the ES9000 is their best picture?
post #642 of 1357 Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I like Samsung's image quite a bit. They seem to add additional sharpening to the image that just makes their sets stand out when viewed side by side with other brands.

Samsung has also had issues with their larger LED panels, with banding being a common problem.

Of course, Samsung charges a premium for their features in their LED line, and screen size is a premium.

I ended up buying a Sharp 80" model and a Darbee Darblet. Could not be happier with the set and the combination.

For a fraction of the price of the top Samsung, I gained additional screen size and an image quality that exceeded my expectations.

I have enjoyed some of the networked features like Netflix, but personally would not use the fancy features that the Samsung offers.
post #643 of 1357 Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah that's sort of the solution I came up with. After coming from the Elite 70" to the Sharp 90" I lost a little sharpness but after adding the Darbee it seemed to make up the loss.

Darbee is an inexpensive way to add sharpness and detail without artifacts.
post #644 of 1357 Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just ordered the 90". Got an excellent deal from Best Buy in Canada. Getting delivered on Saturday. Thank you to everyone on this thread with the tv and their comments.
post #645 of 1357 Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Pros:
The reality of how big the Sharp 90” LC-90LE745U really is starts to set in when you see how big the box is. In fact, the box weighs around 240+ pounds. We can still remember how big our first 40-inch LCD seemed when we unboxed it and set it up on TV stand. Setting up a 90-inch TV gives us that feeling all over again.  
When I first sat down in front of the LC-90LE745U, I was about 5 feet away and wondered if I was too close since it's so big. Fortunately, I got used to the size rather quickly. Most of your immediate field of vision in front of you will be absorbed by this TV as long as you are not sitting too far away, and that's a good thing. The color and brightness are prefect (set to Dynamic-fixed); I don’t have to do anything else except set Motion Enhancement to 120Hz Low for clearer picture) and OPC to Off.  
One of the most important aspects about a big, heavy TV like this is its base. You obviously don't want a $10K+ LCD to feel unstable. In the case of the LC-90LE745U, the base is made from heavy-duty plastic and is quite sturdy. I wasn’t worried at all about the TV tipping over or the base not being strong enough. The stand weighs roughly 10 pounds while the panel weighs almost 141 pounds, which combines for a weight of around 150 pounds (reminds me of my old 40-inch CRTs). For an LCD, that might sound chunky, but remember this is a 90-inch screen. It's really a very respectable weight.  

Overall, the design and construction of the LC-90LE745U left me rather impressed. The base of the stand definitely isn't a minimalist's design, but I can appreciate its sturdiness. I also appreciate the relatively thin bezel that surrounds the screen. 

Cons:
Out of the box AV Mode setting was set to “Auto” and OPC “On-Display”. Tell you the truth I was a bit disappointed at first but then I changed the AV Mode to Dynamic (fixed) and OPC to Off, it is like day and night

Review:
If you are considering purchasing the LC-90LE745U (or any huge monitor), I highly recommend that you pay close attention to its dimensions and make sure it will fit well in your room environment. Just assuming or guessing and being wrong could leave you with an expensive shipping expense for a return.

Compare to Samsung ES9000:
Samsung has sharper picture (not by much), brighter picture (Set your Sharp to Dynamic-fixed then both will be equal) and ES9000 has better black but many set has clouding issue.
post #646 of 1357 Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good review. I too like the Dynamic-fixed for color and brightness. I found that if I went into the set up and selected the Demo mode rather than the Home mode it was quite a bit brighter, which I like.

Glad to see we are getting some more owners giving their impressions. Watched 'Cold Mountain' blu-ray last night and I was so pleased with the resolution and color of the 90"....the set can really put out a nice picture.
post #647 of 1357 Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Just a comment. The 82837 does not present near the quality of image of the 92" sets. My brother has the 80" Sharp. I have the 92" Mits driven by a Lumagen Radience XS through a Darbee Darblet. I have never seen the 90" Sharp but the 92 Mits can put out a very, very nice image... I don't know what the big Sharp really sells for but you can buy the Mits for about $2500. Under $5k with the Radiance and the Darbee. I have ChromaPure with a 125 PT color calibration. I will grant the blacks on the Sharp are much better but the 2011 and 2012 Mits throw much brighter and sharper images than the 2010 your described.

Just another blank signature.
post #648 of 1357 Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Just a comment. The 82837 does not present near the quality of image of the 92" sets. My brother has the 80" Sharp. I have the 92" Mits driven by a Lumagen Radience XS through a Darbee Darblet. I have never seen the 90" Sharp but the 92 Mits can put out a very, very nice image... I don't know what the big Sharp really sells for but you can buy the Mits for about $2500. Under $5k with the Radiance and the Darbee. I have ChromaPure with a 125 PT color calibration. I will grant the blacks on the Sharp are much better but the 2011 and 2012 Mits throw much brighter and sharper images than the 2010 your described.

Yeah I looked at the 92" before I bought the Sharp and it looked quite good. But they quit making the glossy screen and went back to the flat matte. I thought the glossy looked better but it was on last years screen.
That 92" is a big set and not sure if I would have the room for that. The Sharp is a brighter picture with deeper blacks but the Mits 92" is a heck of a good price, its just a bit large.

Does your Lumagen Radience help the Mits PQ? I have the Darbee but I don't think its in the class as the VP Radience.
post #649 of 1357 Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Had the tv delivered on Friday. So far I am extremely happy.... the extra 10" makes a good difference. Sold my 80 to upgrade to the 90.
post #650 of 1357 Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfh View Post

Had the tv delivered on Friday. So far I am extremely happy.... the extra 10" makes a good difference. Sold my 80 to upgrade to the 90.

Congratulations! Do you notice a difference in PQ between the 80" and the 90"?
post #651 of 1357 Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Guys,

I started a Sharp 90" price thread in the LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals! forum and I'd be interested to read about the price you paid for the 90" and especially from you richardfh since you ordered your 90 from Best Buy in Canada as I too live in Canada.
post #652 of 1357 Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfh View Post

richardfh,

You mentioned that you have pics available in the Sharp 90" price thread, feel free to post them here ! wink.gif And tell us a bit about how you feel about your new purchase...smile.gif
post #653 of 1357 Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Other than price talk would be good to leave the rest of the conversations here so we don't split up the tread too much.
post #654 of 1357 Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just out of curiosity, did any of you have an auto re-boot issue like some of the guys in the LC-80LE844U thread?
post #655 of 1357 Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM

My brother has 844U and his does not has the auto reboot issue. Mine 90" came with firmware 3.03 and so far no issue.
post #656 of 1357 Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I looked at the 92" before I bought the Sharp and it looked quite good. But they quit making the glossy screen and went back to the flat matte. I thought the glossy looked better but it was on last years screen.
That 92" is a big set and not sure if I would have the room for that. The Sharp is a brighter picture with deeper blacks but the Mits 92" is a heck of a good price, its just a bit large.
Does your Lumagen Radience help the Mits PQ? I have the Darbee but I don't think its in the class as the VP Radience.

I have the clear screen model. I used the Radiance to calibrate with. I use the Bright setting which is a wide gamut mode. The Radiance XS and a Display 3 Pro autocalibrate the set with the 125 point color setting. I nails the color. The Darblet is icing on the cake. Yes it is a big set but I have a big room. The Radiance and the Darbee are usable on anything. I got a Square 5 year warranty from Costco for a little over a hundred dollars. I think there are still clear screen models available in both 2011 and 2012. My next purchase will probably be an i1 spectro so I can profile my D3 pro directly on the screen. My room is a big rectangular box 19'x23'. There is a wall of windows behind the Mits 92840. My seating is on the opposite wall. For lots of reasons I have little flexibility on how the room is arranged.

As a practical matter I can't sit any closer than 14 feet. I have already replaced the lamp once at around 2k hours, I run the lamp on high. A 100" set would be more appropriate for my viewing distance... maybe by the time this Mits is out of extended warranty there will be affordable sets at that 100 inch size. The fresh lamps keeps it bright and are only $99. With the autocalibration 30 minutes gets me a fresh pro level calibration after getting the meter setup. If I had the 90' Sharp I would still want the Radiance advamced 125PT autocalibration and the Darbee. I am running about 34-35 ft lamberts calibrated. Average dEs are .9 or so for the 125PT cube.

post #657 of 1357 Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I have the clear screen model....

....As a practical matter I can't sit any closer than 14 feet...

...I am running about 34-35 ft lamberts calibrated. Average dEs are .9 or so for the 125PT cube.

Have you ever posted pictures of your setup and PQ?
post #658 of 1357 Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes do that, I would like to see how another big screen looks setup. BTW what is the 'clear screen'? Is that the non-reflective or the gloss?

Auto calibration? The Radiance does that?
post #659 of 1357 Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes do that, I would like to see how another big screen looks setup. BTW what is the 'clear screen'? Is that the non-reflective or the gloss?
Auto calibration? The Radiance does that?
Gloss screen. They call it clear contrast. It makes the display brighter nd sharper.

Autocalibrate :Yes, with the right versions of ChromaPure or Calman. Very slcik stuff.

post #660 of 1357 Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Have you ever posted pictures of your setup and PQ?

No I haven't but I should one day. Too much going on for that now. I don't have a premium DSLR either. Yet another family crisis... But I will try to post something in the next couple of weeks if the domestic battles get under control.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page