Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1357 Old 08-12-2013, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

$700.oo they are stealing your money , call Sharp & get the 4 year 3 month replacement / service warranty it will be a fraction of $700.oo call Sharp Aquos support & ask for the service warranty dept.

What Slappy said.

Did the 4-year plan from Sharp for $299 on my 90" when it first arrived: https://sharp.yourserviceplan.com/presentationlayer/RealTimeQuoteSharp.aspx
lodit and Fastslappy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1357 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodit View Post

What kind of warranties are all of you purchasing for your 90" tv?

I currently have the $699 - 5yr Geek Squad from BB, but am just wondering if that's just too much money.

Considering they probably won't replace my 90" with another one since I bought this one at a great price, is the warranty worth it, or are there other more reasonable options(but with similar coverage) at better pricing?

Thanks.

Wow that's a lot of money my question to you is why did you not call sharp and get there warranty?? That way if its gone they will give you newest 90 model I would never get warranty from bb overpriced
lodit likes this.
post #1263 of 1357 Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

$700.oo they are stealing your money , call Sharp & get the 4 year 3 month replacement / service warranty it will be a fraction of $700.oo call Sharp Aquos support & ask for the service warranty dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

What Slappy said.

Did the 4-year plan from Sharp for $299 on my 90" when it first arrived: https://sharp.yourserviceplan.com/presentationlayer/RealTimeQuoteSharp.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Wow that's a lot of money my question to you is why did you not call sharp and get there warranty?? That way if its gone they will give you newest 90 model I would never get warranty from bb overpriced

I'm a Silver Rewards Member, so I have 30 days I believe to refund the warranty, just wanted it as part of my 24-months no financing purchase up front in case there weren't any better options.

Now, with the Sharp warranty you guys mentioned, it appears to be based on the purchase price and not the retail price (or even the cost to actually replace the tv).

So, this is technically not unlike the Costco Squaretrade Warranty?

Repair or replacement is at their discretion.
If they can not repair and are not willing to replace, they will just give you what's left over after they deduct the service repair costs from your purchase price.

And does the 3 yr extended warranty start after the manufacturer 1-yr warranty (total 4 years), or concurrently (total 3 years)?
post #1264 of 1357 Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

I'm a Silver Rewards Member, so I have 30 days I believe to refund the warranty, just wanted it as part of my 24-months no financing purchase up front in case there weren't any better options.

Now, with the Sharp warranty you guys mentioned, it appears to be based on the purchase price and not the retail price (or even the cost to actually replace the tv).

So, this is technically not unlike the Costco Squaretrade Warranty?

Repair or replacement is at their discretion.
If they can not repair and are not willing to replace, they will just give you what's left over after they deduct the service repair costs from your purchase price.

And does the 3 yr extended warranty start after the manufacturer 1-yr warranty (total 4 years), or concurrently (total 3 years)?
no it's service &/or replace , without the charges for repairs
most cases they replace with a current new sized model , it's not a running total like SqT were a tech comes out multiple times & that each visit comes off the total payout . they reserve the right to refund the purchase price ,fully transferable with a $50.oo fee , Warranty will apply to any new display that is a replacement as well
the 3 years starts after the 15 months of regular warranty it gets more expensive the closer you get to the end of the 1st 15 months IE; buy it now
most times a tech comes out to see what wrong if it's the electronics they swap PCB boards ,if it is the panel that is defective then he orders a new display , they deliver a new display & remove the old
Sharp has been know to replace displays simply with emailed photos of panel display defects . If you can send a photo that shows a defective panel proof , they email you back & order you the new display then they will send a new one & pick-up the old all in the same day .
lodit likes this.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1265 of 1357 Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:

no it's service &/or replace , without the charges for repairs
most cases they replace with a current new sized model , it's not a running total like SqT were a tech comes out multiple times & that each visit comes off the total payout . they reserve the right to refund the purchase price ,fully transferable with a $50.oo fee , Warranty will apply to any new display that is a replacement as well
the 3 years starts after the 15 months of regular warranty it gets more expensive the closer you get to the end of the 1st 15 months IE; buy it now
most times a tech comes out to see what wrong if it's the electronics they swap PCB boards ,if it is the panel that is defective then he orders a new display , they deliver a new display & remove the old
Sharp has been know to replace displays simply with emailed photos of panel display defects . If you can send a photo that shows a defective panel proof , they email you back & order you the new display then they will send a new one & pick-up the old all in the same day .

Definitely sounds like a better price/performance warranty than the BB one.

I'll contact them and see how it goes.

Much obliged for the information!

Cheers!
post #1266 of 1357 Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM

We told you get sharp warranty lol
post #1267 of 1357 Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 10
I am trying to determine if the 745u and/or the 657u will pass 5.1 through its optical output port to the Sonus Playbar for all content that arrives via an HDMI cable into a source input of the respective Sharp (745u or 657u). I think I read somewhere that some smaller sized models of sharp TV's did not provide full 5.1 to connected soundbars or other amplifiers with connection to the optical output of the Sharp TV. Hence, the reason for my question as it pertains to these two 90" versions.
post #1268 of 1357 Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedelite View Post

I am trying to determine if the 745u and/or the 657u will pass 5.1 through its optical output port to the Sonus Playbar for all content that arrives via an HDMI cable into a source input of the respective Sharp (745u or 657u). I think I read somewhere that some smaller sized models of sharp TV's did not provide full 5.1 to connected soundbars or other amplifiers with connection to the optical output of the Sharp TV. Hence, the reason for my question as it pertains to these two 90" versions.

The sonos player is really not that good and low base and no ability to hook up sub so you have to involve a reciever to get it done then you overpay for the bar hmmm surprised you just don't go with one of the newest 2.1 systems but I see you what 5.1
post #1269 of 1357 Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

What kind of warranties are all of you purchasing for your 90" tv?

I currently have the $699 - 5yr Geek Squad from BB, but am just wondering if that's just too much money.

Considering they probably won't replace my 90" with another one since I bought this one at a great price, is the warranty worth it, or are there other more reasonable options(but with similar coverage) at better pricing?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the TV?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1270 of 1357 Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:

The sonos player is really not that good and low base and no ability to hook up sub so you have to involve a reciever to get it done then you overpay for the bar hmmm surprised you just don't go with one of the newest 2.1 systems but I see you what 5.1

I am no Sonos homer.......having just bought a couple of pieces before realizing how empowering this system will be for my outdoor application and use cases by mixing connect amps with outdoor grade speakers and passive subwoofers with playbar's at 2 of my outdoor TVs that are weather protected......

But your comment leads me to believe that you are not that knowledgeable on the system......I have a high end theater config in my home....and built a previous home theater in another home I owned.....so my expectations are decent. And This is one of the best sounding soundbars that I have heard and produced a much sider soundfield than i expected when I tested it at Magnolia. And base was rather ok given no inclusion of a s/w until I did pair the Sonos s/w and then it was extremely good for a soundbar design......granted the depth was really good for video content (5.1) and when playing music it lagged behind a side by side test of using 2xPlay3's rahter than the Playbar.......but the Playbar provided digital input and also cleaner install for one of my zones and better managment of audio from video content streams than a pair of Play3's.....so that is why this portion of my config specced it.

....so again, not sure where you are getting your info.....as Sonos does have s/w now
post #1271 of 1357 Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You really should research the Playbar a little more. I have listened to most of the best soundbar's on the market and would consider it in the top 3. Besides the sound quality, the Sonos software is really quite versatile as well and allows for whole house audio for a lot less than most other systems/configurations. As was mentioned previously, Sonos does have a Sub. In fact, I believe the sub was released before the Playbar. I agree that the Playbar by itself doesn't have much bass. I challenge you though to find me a soundbar, sans subwoofer, that does. Once paired with their sub, problem more than solved. And for $1400, with the sub, it destroys any other soundbar in its' price range.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1272 of 1357 Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Definitely sounds like a better price/performance warranty than the BB one.

I'll contact them and see how it goes.

Much obliged for the information!

Cheers!

Phone number is 866.848.0959
Link is http://www.sharpusa.com/SharpDirect/ProtectionPlans.as

And they told me that so long as it is US product, new, and with valid serial number, they stand behind their base wty and you can get this 3 years added on to the original 1 year for something like $240-290 (can't recall) for TVs that are between $5,000 and $7,499. You only need a valid receipt from a realistic business. No craigslist or ebay ....... but the supposed blackballing of "not authorized resellers" is not in the Sharp playbook and a TV bought from ECTV or AllTimes or others that are hybrid wholesalers or retailers and not on the supposed "authorized list" is just fine.
post #1273 of 1357 Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Costco/Squaretrade $105.00 for 3 years after manufacturers' warranty:

http://t.costco.com/3-Years-%28For-TVs-Over-%241%2C000%29.product.11680336.html

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #1274 of 1357 Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedelite View Post

I am no Sonos homer.......having just bought a couple of pieces before realizing how empowering this system will be for my outdoor application and use cases by mixing connect amps with outdoor grade speakers and passive subwoofers with playbar's at 2 of my outdoor TVs that are weather protected......

But your comment leads me to believe that you are not that knowledgeable on the system......I have a high end theater config in my home....and built a previous home theater in another home I owned.....so my expectations are decent. And This is one of the best sounding soundbars that I have heard and produced a much sider soundfield than i expected when I tested it at Magnolia. And base was rather ok given no inclusion of a s/w until I did pair the Sonos s/w and then it was extremely good for a soundbar design......granted the depth was really good for video content (5.1) and when playing music it lagged behind a side by side test of using 2xPlay3's rahter than the Playbar.......but the Playbar provided digital input and also cleaner install for one of my zones and better managment of audio from video content streams than a pair of Play3's.....so that is why this portion of my config specced it.

....so again, not sure where you are getting your info.....as Sonos does have s/w now

I have 2 play 5s but I only use them for music in the gym and downstairs I love the sonos system I listened to their soundbar and was not impressed compared to other options also did not see a sub port on It I asked the sales person and was told nope now this was when it first came out if they made changes or added wireless sub ok cool but the sound quality of the bar was average. If you like it great that's all that matters it's your theater room
post #1275 of 1357 Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

You really should research the Playbar a little more. I have listened to most of the best soundbar's on the market and would consider it in the top 3. Besides the sound quality, the Sonos software is really quite versatile as well and allows for whole house audio for a lot less than most other systems/configurations. As was mentioned previously, Sonos does have a Sub. In fact, I believe the sub was released before the Playbar. I agree that the Playbar by itself doesn't have much bass. I challenge you though to find me a soundbar, sans subwoofer, that does. Once paired with their sub, problem more than solved. And for $1400, with the sub, it destroys any other soundbar in its' price range.

If we are talking out the box the zvox is better now again pairing sound bars with other things helps but you said out the box. The zvox has highs and plenty of base again its not the prettiest or most light weight etc etc i owned it for like 13 days haaaa
post #1276 of 1357 Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we are talking out the box the zvox is better now again pairing sound bars with other things helps but you said out the box. The zvox has highs and plenty of base again its not the prettiest or most light weight etc etc i owned it for like 13 days haaaa

I didn't say anything about out-of-the-box. The Z-Vox does have more of a full range sound when compared to the PlayBar by itself, but there are many other factors that lead me to the opinion that the PlayBar is a better buy than the Z-Vox. For starters, the Z-Vox form-factor is a deal-breaker for some. It doesn't work well with larger flat panels that have wide bases, unless you have a shelf below to put it on. Even then, having it on a shelf inside your TV stand causes other issues. The Z-Vox also has no music streaming capabilities. Easy win for the Sonos there, with arguably the best streaming capabilities on the market. You can mount the Playbar as well, which no where near possible with the Z-Vox. Interested in none of those features, and not turned off by the form-factor, then sure, for that price range you may be better off with the Z-Vox. Personally, it's not even close. Next closest choice for me, would be the Definitive SSA-50, with a sub of course. Then again, you need a receiver with that one as well. Sounds amazing though.

post #1277 of 1357 Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

Costco/Squaretrade $105.00 for 3 years after manufacturers' warranty:

http://t.costco.com/3-Years-%28For-TVs-Over-%241%2C000%29.product.11680336.html
I called Squaretrade and they said they do 'open box' as long as it includes full manufacturers 1 year warranty.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #1278 of 1357 Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

AN-3DG20-B or AN-3DG30-B 3D glasses? Which are the most comfortable?

post #1279 of 1357 Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

The tv comes with two (2) AN-3DG20-B glasses. At least mine did.

They work well enough, only other point of comparison is the Panasonic 3d glasses for the VT50/60 models and those, imo, are better overall, but I don't believe they are compatible with the Sharp.
post #1280 of 1357 Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM

I purchased these 3D glasses for my Sharp LC-80LE844U, i like the fit better than the Sharp 3D glasses, they are made by Oakley Inc. for Blick. they are made to fit over persciption glasses or not and they have refurbished glasses.

http://3dglassesunlimited.com/shop/universal-3d-glasses-by-blick-active-shutter-ir/
post #1281 of 1357 Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Have had all three and the G20 is by far the lightest, and thus most comfortable, of the group. And that includes the first-gen G10, which is the worst of the group in terms of comfort. It was night and day, I was surprised.

And for the obligatory follow-up question: No, none of them made any difference in the quality of the 3D experience or image, all were identical when tested back to back.
post #1282 of 1357 Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Question for all the owners:

Now that you've had your tv for a period of time now, assuming break-in, calibration, and sufficient viewing hours to where your tv is now left as-is, when you turn on the tv and a black image is displayed (swapping between channels or programs from the tv or your video player), is there a somewhat uniform backlight bleeding or perhaps a purplish tinge to the entire screen which you expect to be black?

My backlight is set to 0 and brightness is -3, other settings are Suzook's.

Programs look great when there is material, just when there's a switch between programs and a black screen is up i can see the purplish tinge.

Just wondering if that's normal? (I don't expect Kuro/VT/ZT60 blacks, but something close to the actual definition).

Thanks.
post #1283 of 1357 Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM

So you switch to another channel and for like 1-2 seconds its not black and your complaining ??
post #1284 of 1357 Old 08-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

So you switch to another channel and for like 1-2 seconds its not black and your complaining ??

Not really complaining.

More like a curiosity, to know if the panel is known for that behavior, or if it's something to concern myself with going forward.

Try pausing during the switch between previews on a blu-ray disc.

Is it unreasonable to expect that if the LCD is basically "off", and only the LED backlighting is "on" and set to zero we should see more of a black screen?

Perhaps I was mistaken to hope for it, hence my question whether others have noticed this or not.

Thanks.
post #1285 of 1357 Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Not really complaining.

More like a curiosity, to know if the panel is known for that behavior, or if it's something to concern myself with going forward.

Try pausing during the switch between previews on a blu-ray disc.

Is it unreasonable to expect that if the LCD is basically "off", and only the LED backlighting is "on" and set to zero we should see more of a black screen?

Perhaps I was mistaken to hope for it, hence my question whether others have noticed this or not.

Thanks.

I think it's extremely picky long as the pic is good to you and overall happy but I get what your asking. No display is perfection
post #1286 of 1357 Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I think it's extremely picky long as the pic is good to you and overall happy but I get what your asking. No display is perfection

I think it's inherent with most, if not all LCDs that there is a little backlight bleeding (or fading),more visible at wider angles than straight on.

So, I'm just gonna be sure to sit dead center from now on and enjoy the view.

smile.gif
post #1287 of 1357 Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called Squaretrade and they said they do 'open box' as long as it includes full manufacturers 1 year warranty.
Two Square reps contradicted each other. No open box coverage. Thanks SQ dumb ass for wasting my time. And thanks guys for the 3D glasses advice. I have the G20s coming today.

post #1288 of 1357 Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM

I have never used sq sorry
post #1289 of 1357 Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Start post:

Titanic 3D on this tv is wicked awesome!

Such an immersive experience sitting about 9 ft. away, dead center.

End post.
post #1290 of 1357 Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Start post:

Titanic 3D on this tv is wicked awesome!

Such an immersive experience sitting about 9 ft. away, dead center.

End post.

I am enjoying 3D on this TV. I'm surprised how much I like it. I too sit pretty close. Maybe 10 feet.

I find the Sharp AN3DG20B glasses to be best. I also bought some Dimensional Optics glasses, but I find them par inferior.

I wonder if the Dimensional Optics glasses are a problem because I'm too close?

The difference between the two is very noticeable.

JAck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page