Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am not going to argue this further because its not the place but I stand by what I saw with my own two eyes. He has shown me cost for the elite, 632, 844 and several others, all spot on.

so lets agree to disagree and leave it at that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I am not going to argue this further because its not the place but I stand by what I saw with my own two eyes. He has shown me cost for the elite, 632, 844 and several others, all spot on.
so lets agree to disagree and leave it at that

Fine with me. Just didn't want anyone operating off of incorrect information.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #183 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
The 85" for $9000 was a one time "open box" deal that I enjoyed wink.gif Glad that person posted that pic smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I agree, the 90" is a little high in price right now.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #184 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

well no matter what, as a seller I hope you get plenty of buyers. However for the rest of us common folk we lay in wait smile.gif
post #185 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sharp Imposes UPP On New 90-Inch Aquos TV
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 6/20/2012
Mahwah, N.J. - Sharp Electronics is imposing its first unilateral pricing policy (UPP) on the 90-inch Aquos LC-90LE745U FullHD 1080p LED LCD TV introduced Monday, a Sharp spokesman confirmed.

In a statement, Sharp told TWICE: "Sharp launched UPP on the 90-inch to support their retail partners, knowing the floor space commitment, product knowledge and service level needed to provide the end-user with a great purchase experience. They are not planning to expand the UPP at this time."

As previously reported here, the set carries a $10,999 suggested retail and a $9,999 estimated street price, and Sharp said the set would not be open to Internet retailing.

Sharp also said the set is being distributed "to a subset" of the core Aquos big-screen retailers now carrying the 60- and 70-inch models, reflecting more limited of the product.

Both Samsung and Sony have announced UPPs on select lines of high-end consumer electronics products including TVs and other products.

Sharp had said that it would continue to watch the market before deciding if it would follow with similar programs of its own.

Some specialty A/V retailers and custom installers have vocally supported UPPs to help them preserve profit margins on sophisticated new technologies that require expensive demonstrations and educated sales training to sell before mass merchants like Walmart and Costco and e-commerce giants like Amazon and Sears.com undercut pricing with minimal contribution to the selling and promotional process.

Commenting on Sharp's move in an analysts' memo Wednesday, Janney Capital Markets said, "This is important, as it highlights another large/key manufacturer realizing that in order for profits to be restored to the industry, pricing constraints are critical... We have to believe this is a very positive sign for the continuation of UPP."

As for Sharp's distribution plans, Janney memo said: "Look for both [hhgregg] and [Best Buy - Magnolia] to have this product, while other nationals like [Costco] to not have it as of yet. We believe [Walmart] may have a very, very limited supply in very few stores. Other local buyers may have it as well."
post #186 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I tend to believe Suzook, given the known cost of the 80" you can extrapolate the dealer cost on the 90" to be around 6.5-7K. The business model may be changing as the super large display size approaches used car prices. Hell, if Sharp just give a certain dealer money back for shipping to them and then the end customer that is $200-300 right there. Then you probably have hold-backs, spiffs, volume seller discounts, geographic payment incentives, etc.
post #187 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Sharp UPP simply means if the set sells well you wont see a discount any time soon. If not..............

I mean we had the same thing when the 844 launched and that lasted what all of five days with you only needing to call and ask to get the low price.
post #188 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder View Post

They had one on display at Best Buy. They are asking $9,999.98!!! eek.gif I asked the salesperson if they would negotiate on price and he asked me what I was willing to pay and I said $8k. Salesperson said no way they could match that price as it cost them $7.9k. He also told me that Sharp has told retailers to not discount the tv. Anyway the TV was beautiful. I'll wait and hopefully in a few years I can get one for $4 - 5K.

Hey MR2,
Which BB in NoVa did you see this displayed?? Thanks.
post #189 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

Now Chris dont you think that last comment is poaching a little bit ;-) Who wouldn't think 9k is better than 23k.
if I recall the 85 inch panny was selling at Costco for 9k at one point. Its pure economics at work here. The 90 inch sharp while
very tempting is only going to drop in price very quickly because the tech isnt there to justify the extra 10 inches and 6k difference over the 844.
Now add local dimming like the upcoming professional version then you might have a solid argument

Thing is, in the short run, they are targeting very small sales figures. They'll sell all they wish to at $10K. I believe the sales target for the U.S. for the first year is <10K units total. The primary reasons they are doing the 90" at all is:

1) They can and there is obviously some pent-up demand which no one is satisfying
2) They want to sell more 70s and 80s and they re-frame the equation by having a 90" to show off
3) The whole 70/80/90 story is impressive and carves out a market for Sharp in a world where no one else in LCD really has product over 60". There are a few 65" Sonys out there (not many) and a Panasonic plasma, but really Sharp is trying to be the new Mitsubishi. Given that their biggest competitors are moving capital to OLED and have no plans for 10G on either LCD or OLED, it's certainly an interesting plan. But it only works financially if they can sell more than a million units in the category vs. the less than 250K they sold in 2011.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #190 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Guys,

While I appreciate the merits of your debate over dealer cost, it would be nice if we could keep this thread more centered on the performance and impressions of this beast of a TV.

Y2J
Bill Geiger likes this.
post #191 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 15
Watching the video linked on CNET as they went down the row of TV's, I was surprised how similar the 90 looked to the 80, at least in vertical height. According to display wars it's 44.12 inches vs. 39.22. Considering the doubling of price, you really have to want the biggest.. Which I do....
post #192 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post

Guys,
While I appreciate the merits of your debate over dealer cost, it would be nice if we could keep this thread more centered on the performance and impressions of this beast of a TV.
Y2J
^^^ Actually you hit the nail on the head, everyone in this thread could probably put forth the cash, but would rather not as that is a bit of change. This is the same reason we have no owners yet in this thread and the unit has been out for at least 7 days now.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #193 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

Watching the video linked on CNET as they went down the row of TV's, I was surprised how similar the 90 looked to the 80, at least in vertical height. According to display wars it's 44.12 inches vs. 39.22. Considering the doubling of price, you really have to want the biggest.. Which I do....

Could you post a link to the video?

Nevermind here it is.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc90le745u/4505-6482_7-35332514.html
post #194 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ Actually you hit the nail on the head, everyone in this thread could probably put forth the cash, but would rather not as that is a bit of change. This is the same reason we have no owners yet in this thread and the unit has been out for at least 7 days now.

The current price of the 80" is going to make it a hard sell. Somebody will eventually take the plunge, but I think many are waiting until July to see if they announce a 90" Elite with local dimming. Also, Wal-Mart supposedly got allocated some units and no way are they going to go by the UPP.
post #195 of 1357 Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorbeta11 View Post

Hey MR2,
Which BB in NoVa did you see this displayed?? Thanks.

Manassas
post #196 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM

There is one of these on display at BB/Magnolia in Costa Mesa, CA as well. Very impressive for its size and better picture than I thought it would be. I did noticed some stuttering at some of the fast scenes (Act of Valor was playing), but we tend to look for faults when looking at these things. So it may not be as noticeable during regular viewing as we might be too wrapped up with what we are watching. I went back home to watch the same scenes on my 70" Elite and it was sharper, more depth, and handles fast motion much better obviously. Still, for the size it's very very tempting and love that alum. bezel on the 90" and I do remember it looked better than the 73" and above Mitsubishi.

Please Sharp make this an Elite or equal in PQ!!!!!!smile.gif
post #197 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

The current price of the 80" is going to make it a hard sell. Somebody will eventually take the plunge, but I think many are waiting until July to see if they announce a 90" Elite with local dimming. Also, Wal-Mart supposedly got allocated some units and no way are they going to go by the UPP.

Just our of curiosity, Sytech, what makes you believe if Sharp were planning to announce an Elite version, it would happen in July. I am not challenging you, I am simply curious as to why you believe this?

Thanks ;-)

Jake

"Never mistake motion for action." ÂErnest Hemingway

Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World @
post #198 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I would think the first step for Sharp on the Elite line would be to announce an 80 inch Elite. I sure hope they do.

I may drive over to Manassas and see the 90 inch.
post #199 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeE View Post

Just our of curiosity, Sytech, what makes you believe if Sharp were planning to announce an Elite version, it would happen in July. I am not challenging you, I am simply curious as to why you believe this?
Thanks ;-)
Jake

I believe that is when the 2012 Elites were announced, back in July/August of 2011. There was no mention of them at CES and then Sharp made the announcement that summer. I would assume July/August again would be when they show the 2013 lineup. Rumor has been there will be a 80" Elite, but nothing has been seen. The was a Sharp professional signage 90" LCD with FA and LD that was actually seen a few weeks ago that could be easily be re badged as an Elite, so that is were the rumors of a 90" model come from. Besides the prototypes of 70" Sharp 4K at CES, there has been no sighting of a 4K resolution Elite. So it look like the rumors may not pan out and will probably have to wait for the following year for 4K.
post #200 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

sounds like typical best buy.
My friend has worked for them for 7 years in car audio. He has shown me the pricing screen. 6460 is their cost all day no matter what the "sales person" says

I can tell you that you aren't wildly off, but cost isn't 6460. I just checked it today (I'm a current BB employee) and it's higher than that.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #201 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Liked: 12
Haven't seen too many links in this thread.

The Verge has a hands on and a photo gallery.

Sharp USA has a LC-90LE745U page up.
Suzook likes this.
post #202 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

well it was a few weeks ago when he showed me so maybe pricing has gone up. Either way, its good to know its close smile.gif
post #203 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

Haven't seen too many links in this thread.
The Verge has a hands on and a photo gallery.
Sharp USA has a LC-90LE745U page up.

nice catch.

I am going to go out on a limb and say this. Its just like the 844 and the 632. A nice picture when its a high quality source for 7 feet away or more.
When the source isnt so high quality, thats when things can get troublesome. However most who can afford and fit this size will likely be 10 feet or
more. Not for everyone but certainly for some, especially those who want the biggest.

Me personally, I was ready to empty the accounts, write bad checks for this etc but I am holding off. The mention of a local dimming version of this (elite or not) has me holding my breathe......and bucks
post #204 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM

I spent some time today at the San Francisco BB checking out the all-new 90 Sharp, and here are my observations.

It is a beauty. I realize this sounds weird, but my favorite thing, beside the enormous size, was the skinny, dark black, matte aluminum bezel. The 70inch Elite has a dark charcoal bezel, which is stupid because it competes with the image. I think Sharp did this to exaggerate how black the blacks are on the screen, but it doing so, it creates a two-tonality or unnecessary contrast I don't like. To be even more specific, years ago, it was common to find Plasma TVs with silver bezels, like the Fujitsu. I hated silver bezels, because elementally they compete with the image. For instance, if you are in a room with ambient light, the silver bezel reflects the light and takes away from the immersive experience. This is why in movie theaters, why the big screen is only ever surrounded by dark black material that is non-reflective.

All the other 70 and 80 inch Sharps have a glossy dark black bezel, which is also stupid because they bounce/reflect back light. ALL FLAT SCREEN TVs SHOULD HAVE MATTE BLACK BEZELS, so when you look at the TV all you see is the image, not light bouncing or a bezel that is lighter than the set!!![/rant]

Is the 90 inch Sharp worth 10k without local dimming!?!?!? I don't know. It just seems if Sharp is going to go that large, and charge such a high premium price, it should be an Elite with local dimming. Another thing I can't seem to stop thinking about is if it is worth paying more than twice as much as for an 80inch. I mean you could buy 2 80 inchers, and still save an additional $1000.

I thought the image was impressive, particularly with good HD content. With standard content, it looked a little fuzzy, but this could have to do with the fact it has a video signal that had already been split 40 times.

I would love to draw a conclusion about this TV, but I think I have to spend more time with it. Also, they plan to move it into a special room and wall mount it, which should make a huge difference. Time as they say will tell.

If you look carefully in the photos above and below, (click images to enlarge) you can see on the left side of the Sharp there is a 42 or 50 Samsung, and it is completely dwarfed by the 90!!!

Just to give you an additional frame of reference for perspective, notice how tiny the iPad looks, which is sitting on the table below the 90 incher. It is located on the left side of the table stand. Also, in this photo, you can see the standard size BlueRay player in the cabinet, which also adds perspective.

Off angle viewing was surprisingly good. This may be because the 90 incher is just so big. Colors were very good and accurate. If you like watching TV in the daytime in a brightly lit room, the semi-matte screen finish would be great, because online the 70inch Elite, it does not reflect much light.

Black levels were surprisingly good, as you can see above and below. In the image below, you can really see the benefit of having a matte black aluminum bezel that reflects almost no light. Since the 90incher has very good black levels, it appears the bezel is part of the image when it is on dark screens, which in my mind is a big plus with the design of this set. There are many things that are very right about the Sharp 90inch, and somehow, this one simple feature seems to just really make it that much better.

The TV was surprisingly skinny, and when Sharp says it is only 5 inches deep, they mean only on the bottom 10%, so the rest of the back is pretty thin. This means that if you wall mount it, you will be able to get it pretty flush with the wall.

It says it is controllable with an iPhone which is pretty cool. I wonder who this works? Can an iPhone or iPad turn the TV on and OFF? That would be cool. I can't believe this thing only uses $28 worth of electricity a year, and that is if you watch it 5 hours a day!?!?!? I think we average maybe 5 hours a week, so it is bizarre to think it only costs us $3 a year in electricity!!!

I will conclude with this next image of Michael Jordan on the screen of the 90incher. Methinks it is fitting because the new 90 inch Sharp is the new Michael Jordan of TV sets...

Audiguy3 likes this.

post #205 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Jake, your my new favorite person, you posted a lot of pictures !!!!!!!!!! thank you
post #206 of 1357 Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I do love the "almost 2x screen area of a 65 inch tv"

well not quite but close ..... ha ha
post #207 of 1357 Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Hi Suzook!!!

Thanks for the compliment!!!!! I just completed updating the post and added twice as many images.

It is funny because I joined AVS two months before you in 2001 ;-) I can't believe I have been a member for 11 years!!!

As men, we are extremely visual, so, like you, I was getting frustrated with the lack of photos in this thread. It is amazing how much better an idea you get with photos, which is why I took and shared so many photos.

post #208 of 1357 Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

my birthday is the same month you joined.....ok now were getting weird.

good stuff mate. Hope it inspires others. Wonder who is going to be the "first' owner
post #209 of 1357 Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
nice pictures man!!!

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #210 of 1357 Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Don't worry guys...remember not that long ago Sony's 007 Lcos 70" came out with at the time was the biggest with a 12K msrp. So like everything else, what comes up must come down this will be around 4k or less in 3-4 yrs.

Also I disagree strongly you need to sit back like 15-16ft. I have 100" at 10-11 FT right now and I want more...esp if you watch BD/dvd movies with 2.35 aspect ratios with the black bars your 90" reduced quite a bit and is not that big.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page