HDCP and my TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older (2009) Toshiba 40RV525U tv. Using my providers OD services has become impossible as I get a message that my tv does not support HDCP. It is connected using HDMI cables and there are no other tv's connected to the system. Do I need to go and buy another newer tv or is there a way to get around this? I know what HDCP (the devil) is...and it is really infuriating that it has been implemented. I am paying good money to enjoy all my HD programming and now with the disappearance of the dvd rental places...how am I to watch a movie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try switching your HDMI cable for red/green/blue video + red/white audio component cables. No HDCP involved with component and tv broadcast maxes out at 1080i, which component can carry.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector1973 View Post

I have an older (2009) Toshiba 40RV525U tv. Using my providers OD services has become impossible as I get a message that my tv does not support HDCP. It is connected using HDMI cables and there are no other tv's connected to the system. Do I need to go and buy another newer tv or is there a way to get around this? I know what HDCP (the devil) is...and it is really infuriating that it has been implemented. I am paying good money to enjoy all my HD programming and now with the disappearance of the dvd rental places...how am I to watch a movie?

HDCP is part of the HDMI spec. If the box is connected straight to the tv and only to the one tv it should work. Maybe check to see if there's a firmware update available from Toshiba for your set.

Steve S.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Maybe it's not the TV, but a compatibility issue with the cable box (assuming OD services is On Demand) or the providers feed itself.

Again, assuming the "problem" only occurs with On Demand, but all other 720p/1080i HD broadcasts work fine, it's probably not a TV issue.

What's the make/model of the cable box?
Who's the provider?
Have you contacted the provider for assistance?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are any other devices (disks, ext memory) connected to the STB on which a program could be copied to?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

HDCP is part of the HDMI spec. If the box is connected straight to the tv and only to the one tv it should work. Maybe check to see if there's a firmware update available from Toshiba for your set.

I think Steve is correct and remember reading something about HDCP with that display so I did a forum search and there were a few other folks that had your issue. From what I read if you have FW version 1.03 you need 1.05
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page