Lg 47cs570 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have or know of any reviews of this tv? I am looking for one for my MBR. Can't find any info thru Google. Don't need smart or 3D nor is sound an issue in this room. Amazon has it for $785 with 30 day free return policy (i assume that if I don't like it, i can return within 30 days for refund).

Thanks for any help.

Memphis Home Builder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bump. Surely someone has this tv.

Memphis Home Builder
post #3 of 29 Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bump
post #4 of 29 Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 PM

I HAVE THIS TV!
post #5 of 29 Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm interested in buying, Please provide a personal review! The good and the bad.

How is the screen uniformity, colour, black levels? any judder, clouding, screen door effect, etc

Thanks
post #6 of 29 Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I'm interested in buying, Please provide a personal review! The good and the bad.
How is the screen uniformity, colour, black levels? any judder, clouding, screen door effect, etc
Thanks

that will depend largely on whether you get a IPS or VA panel and from sample to sample as well
post #7 of 29 Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks

Ultimately, regardless of reviews, it would be best to find a store and view the TV yourself, since reviews can be all over the board even so called professional reviews. The reason I say this is because often review sites get early release or even pre-production units. Also, there may be last minute firmware updates affecting picture quality or settings. Currently, there does not seem to be an owners thread here on AVS for this model/year of LG TV, so any opinion regarding performance, quality or type of LCD panel, etc is just that. Only you can decide with your eyes what suits your perception with your eyes.

You can also ask for the remoter to select the Cinema, Standard, or even Expert settings to reduce backlight, brightness, contrast and color levels that are always way to high in stores. But here is a set of reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-47CS570-47-Inch-1080p-120Hz/product-reviews/B006ZH0K7A/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-47-class-1080p-120hz-hdtv-46-9-actual-diagonal-size-/item/47CS570#tab4
post #8 of 29 Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi, I had previously posted a short review on this model however it seems to have been lost due to a problem with my Facebook account. I'm no expert on displays but here's my take on it:

I am currently running it through DVI>HDMI on an NVIDIA GEFORCE 480GT at 1080p native 60Hz. The input label is set to PC and all advanced processing in the TV is turned off for regular use. I do run it on "Game" label to watch movies to get the tru motion and the advanced video processing if desired. The tests below were all performed on both Game and PC mode. The other modes are very similar to "Game".

Panel Type: I have the IPS display.

Screen Uniformity:
Colours: excellent, very vibrant when "Color" setting is maxed out, I find that the default settings for PC are a bit dull especially for video games, I turned my "Color" setting up to about 70 which makes very much in line with my more expensive 22" monitor. Haven't really tested the fidelity of the colours although pictures look the same on the TV as on my monitor (except for the big increase in size).

Note: there is a very slight vignette effect (2mm on each edge) although very hard to notice unless you look at the TV from a weird angle and have a solid, bright colour being displayed along the edge. No cloudiness in the screen, very uniform.

black levels: I find that it's really great in a dark room. I set my input to "BLURAY", Backlight to 2, and Brightness to 60. This makes it look really good although once you turn the lights on, you'll find that the backlight isn't bright enough to compete with a 60 watt lightbulb. This is why I love LG's saveable settings. When you modify a picture profile, it saves it so you can switch back. Say you make your profile "Cinema" have a low backlight for a dark room, you can then set your "Off" setting to have brighter backlight for when the curtains are open in the daytime. You can switch profiles with one click of the "AV MODE" button.

judder: any specific videos that I should test with? None from the computer as far as I can tell (tru motion on or off), can't comment on DVD's or BLU-RAYS however. My friend has an older 47" LG from maybe 3-4 years ago and I find that this new 2012 model has little judder in comparison to the old model.

clouding: None. Image is bright and uniform.

screen door effect: using it as a monitor, sitting either 3 feet or 10 feet away can't say that it bothers me at all unless I'm less than 3 feet away. I'd say that screen door dissapears at about 4 feet away.

Annoyances: If the TV loses power, you lose the time (clock resets). You have to click the input button multiple times to get to the right input if you're using the LG remote. I wish it had a auto-input detection. The black level is affected when you look at the TV from a low vertical angle (TV too high up in front of you). Touch buttons on the front make no sound I wish it gave feedback as to whether you hit the button or not.

Plusses: Nice remote, good looking tv. Solid construction. Swivel base. IPS panel pretty much guaranteed (bought mine from Costco for $680), just check the serial no on the cardboard box. USB function works very well on small and big hard drives and flash memory. Optical and Analog sound output to feed into an amplifier or speaker system (you can use the TV to switch inputs instead of routing everything through a receiver). Plenty of inputs. Cable Receiver works great on it. Colours are not affected by viewing angle. Power light indicator is very small and dim unlike other TV companies which make their TV's distracting.

This TV is pretty bulky compared to LED however unlike LED, it has no clouding or unevenness. The built-in speakers are pointless but work (same as every other TV out there).

If you have any questions, ask away smile.gif I'll add more as I think about it.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Ultimately, regardless of reviews, it would be best to find a store and view the TV yourself, since reviews can be all over the board even so called professional reviews. The reason I say this is because often review sites get early release or even pre-production units. Also, there may be last minute firmware updates affecting picture quality or settings. Currently, there does not seem to be an owners thread here on AVS for this model/year of LG TV, so any opinion regarding performance, quality or type of LCD panel, etc is just that. Only you can decide with your eyes what suits your perception with your eyes.
You can also ask for the remoter to select the Cinema, Standard, or even Expert settings to reduce backlight, brightness, contrast and color levels that are always way to high in stores. But here is a set of reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-47CS570-47-Inch-1080p-120Hz/product-reviews/B006ZH0K7A/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-47-class-1080p-120hz-hdtv-46-9-actual-diagonal-size-/item/47CS570#tab4

Well, doesn't an 'owners thread' include just that- an opinion, based on personal experience? which is what i asked for
post #10 of 29 Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

that will depend largely on whether you get a IPS or VA panel and from sample to sample as well

how/where did you get the idea that this model's panel can vary, either IPS or VA? not doubting you, just trying to get in the loop on the best info available, thanks
post #11 of 29 Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanfpoulin View Post

Plusses: Nice remote, good looking tv. Solid construction. Swivel base. IPS panel pretty much guaranteed (bought mine from Costco for $680), just check the serial no on the cardboard box. USB function works very well on small and big hard drives and flash memory. Optical and Analog sound output to feed into an amplifier or speaker system (you can use the TV to switch inputs instead of routing everything through a receiver). Plenty of inputs. Cable Receiver works great on it. Colours are not affected by viewing angle. Power light indicator is very small and dim unlike other TV companies which make their TV's distracting.
This TV is pretty bulky compared to LED however unlike LED, it has no clouding or unevenness. The built-in speakers are pointless but work (same as every other TV out there).
If you have any questions, ask away smile.gif I'll add more as I think about it.

Thanks for sharing! What am I looking for in the serial # to get an IPS panel? Did you buy from Costco U.S. or Canada? is their extended warranty advisable/worth it on this model?
How's the PQ of cable SD content? How does it handle solid whites- think it would be good for hockey?
How do the input jacks/power cord locations lend to wall mounting?
post #12 of 29 Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

how/where did you get the idea that this model's panel can vary, either IPS or VA?

That's typical of LG to use various panel types in different models. And sometimes, even within the same model line the panel may vary from an IPS (S or H) or VA depending on panel availability at build time. The serial number has nothing to do with panel type. On other models of LG tv's, depending on year, the fourth letter in the complete product code could indicate the panel type. The best method of determining panel type is the "loupe" test which is basically taking a >10x magnifying glass and looking at the pixel pattern to determine S-IPS from H-IPS from VA. Unfortunately, you can't order a particular panel type nor ask for a specific product code. Hence, the panel lottery. I'm not familiar with your particular model (haven't seen an owners thread yet) so I don't have any information on product codes related to panel types. There is a site that some have used to determine panel type based on the panel serial number (not the tv's) which is sometimes visible from the back of the tv thru the ventilation slots.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

That's typical of LG to use various panel types in different models. And sometimes, even within the same model line the panel may vary from an IPS (S or H) or VA depending on panel availability at build time. The serial number has nothing to do with panel type. On other models of LG tv's, depending on year, the fourth letter in the complete product code could indicate the panel type. The best method of determining panel type is the "loupe" test which is basically taking a >10x magnifying glass and looking at the pixel pattern to determine S-IPS from H-IPS from VA. Unfortunately, you can't order a particular panel type nor ask for a specific product code. Hence, the panel lottery. I'm not familiar with your particular model (haven't seen an owners thread yet) so I don't have any information on product codes related to panel types. There is a site that some have used to determine panel type based on the panel serial number (not the tv's) which is sometimes visible from the back of the tv thru the ventilation slots.

has anyone got a H-IPS panel LG in the last few years (2010-2012)?
post #14 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM

47" panels - *IPS only.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

47" panels - *IPS only.

what is your source of information?
post #16 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:

what is your source of information?

No one manufactures 47" panels besides LGPhilips and Panasonic.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

has anyone got a H-IPS panel LG in the last few years (2010-2012)?

I thought there was one or two reported back in 2010 based on pixel shape.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

47" panels - *IPS only.

I don't think you can state for 100% certainty that all 47" panels are S-IPS panels, which is what we are talking about.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM

What am I looking for in the serial # to get an IPS panel?
I advise looking at the model on display at the store and seeing if all the boxes have similar serial #'s. I know that Costco Canada had it on display next to the pile of boxes and I looked at the pixels to see whether it was IPS or not. Then I was able to deduce that all of the boxes in that pile were from the same batch.

Did you buy from Costco U.S. or Canada? is their extended warranty advisable/worth it on this model?
I bought it from Costco Canada for $689. It came with Costco's 2 year warranty. 90 day money back.

How's the PQ of cable SD content? How does it handle solid whites- think it would be good for hockey?
I don't have anything to compare it to but analog cable looked as good as it would be once you enable noise reduction and adjust the contrast on it.. With a digital cable box, the quality goes up a bit more. Of course, the bigger your screen, the more the compression is visible. HD looks stunning in comparison. I plugged in some 480i game consoles like the Nintendo 64 / Wii / Genesis. They do a good job at deinterlacing the video. I'm happy with it. It displays any type of signal very well.

How do the input jacks/power cord locations lend to wall mounting?
The power cord that comes with the TV is angled so it would fit nicely against the wall. Unfortunately, most inputs on the TV are facing the back (2x HDMI, 1xVGA, Component, RCA are the troublesome ones here). This means that if you mount too close to the wall, your HDMI cables might not flex nicely. You can always get angled HDMI plugs on ebay. A standard HDMI cable maybe sticks out about an inch from the back before it bends enough to not touch the wall. So if your mount gives you at least an inch of clearance, then you should be fine although plugging the inputs in, you will have to tilt the TV up slightly on the top bracket of the mount.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanfpoulin View Post

What am I looking for in the serial # to get an IPS panel?
I advise looking at the model on display at the store and seeing if all the boxes have similar serial #'s. I know that Costco Canada had it on display next to the pile of boxes and I looked at the pixels to see whether it was IPS or not. Then I was able to deduce that all of the boxes in that pile were from the same batch.

Again, it's NOT the serial number, it's the complete product code which starts with the model number. Use a magnifying lens (>10x) and look for the chevron-shaped (<<<<<<<) pixel pattern which is indicative of an S-IPS panel. Usually the fourth letter in the product code after the model number (ex. 47LD520-UA.AUSWLUR) indicates that it's an S-IPS panel. In 2010 it was a "W", in 2011 it was a "Y". At least for North American models. If the tv on display passes the loupe test, note the complete product code so you can look elsewhere. Keep in mind that if you buy online, you can't ask for a specific product code, hence the "panel lottery".
post #21 of 29 Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

They are either S-IPS panels (LG), or possibly IPS alpha (Panasonic), which is a form of S-IPS
The panel lotteries were for 42", 32" and other screen sizes that had multiple sources that included VA panels from makers such as CMI, AUO etc..
post #22 of 29 Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post

They are either S-IPS panels (LG), or possibly IPS alpha (Panasonic), which is a form of S-IPS
The panel lotteries were for 42", 32" and other screen sizes that had multiple sources that included VA panels from makers such as CMI, AUO etc..

Is IPS really all that desirable for HDTV sets though where you care more about back levels than maintaining colors edge to edge like for photo editing??

My NEC PA IPS is perfection in all ways but the black levels are best called light gray almost, even at 80cd/m^2, compared to plasma or PVA/MVA type screens.
post #23 of 29 Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM

I bought this TV several weeks back, and for the most part I have been very happy with it. The TV has developed one nagging problem that I am growing concerned about though. The TV has started randomly restarting itself when on the antenna input. It was very intermittent at first, but now it is happening frequently. Basically, it happens when attempting to change channels/press info. button/change volume. The TV will suddenly stop responding to remote input and then shut down/restart. Is this a known issue for LG's?
post #24 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM

I picked one of these up last night just because of the price point. Havent viewed any HD programming with it yet but I did power it on and it is an IPS panel. Prefix in the model number is a "Y" for those that might decide to snag one. I would have gone for something a bit bigger and fancier but the wife gave me a budget and this fit it. I was gunning for the IPS panel which, first unit, had right out of the gate. Gonna mount it this weekend and see how it acts.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Well after a few days of use im noticing something strange. Every so many seconds the video kinda slows down then picks back up to normal. Input lag?? It is doing it on what I see as all the HDMI's. Messed with the TruMotion settings from low to high and completely off. No fix! Its most noticeable when a movies credits are rolling you can see the words jump every so often. Really annoying during a movie. Trying to decide if I should take it back and exchange or get a different tv altogether.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor11 View Post

Well after a few days of use im noticing something strange. Every so many seconds the video kinda slows down then picks back up to normal. Input lag?? It is doing it on what I see as all the HDMI's. Messed with the TruMotion settings from low to high and completely off. No fix! Its most noticeable when a movies credits are rolling you can see the words jump every so often. Really annoying during a movie. Trying to decide if I should take it back and exchange or get a different tv altogether.

hmm, that's troublesome for me. newegg is having a sale for the 47" one right now at a pretty steep discount. and im pretty tempted to buy it. this price is only good til monday. i wonder if it has anything to do with issues you're talking about. i came here just for the panel info which was very encouraging then i see your last post. i'll give this another day in hopes of a response before buying. it also might sell out by then but that just lets me avoid a possible impulse buy.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I've seen this reported before for this series of TVs. You can read over this thread for more info. Someone even posted a video of it occurring on the related CS560 TVs (with another TV beside it and not having the issue) on the second page of the thread.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I picked one of these up last night just because of the price point. Havent viewed any HD programming with it yet but I did power it on and it is an IPS panel. Prefix in the model number is a "Y" for those that might decide to snag one. I would have gone for something a bit bigger and fancier but the wife gave me a budget and this fit it. I was gunning for the IPS panel which, first unit, had right out of the gate. Gonna mount it this weekend and see how it acts.

We have an LG from the LD series and it too has a confirmed S-IPS panel (confirmed via the product code lettering and the loupe test). It's a 2010 set and the set performs as well today as it did the day we took it out of the box, which is to say flawlessly.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Yea I dont know what the deal was. Tried new HDMI cables, different sources, different video settings, different Blu-Ray discs, different channels on the cable box. Same result every time. I took it back, got a refund and picked up a Panasonic 50E60 from best buy. Its an LED set but I am MUCH happier! No stutter in the video on any input or source and the screen uniformity is great and no flashlighting! Pretty nice set for sure!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page