Samsung UN55C9000ZF - Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

First time poster and just joined the site, so sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Anyways, I went to my Best Buy yesterday and noticed they had an open box Samsung UN55C9000ZF 55" 2010 Model for only $1200! When this model first came out in 2010 it was $4,900 really turned me away. I really liked this TV, like the idea of all the cords plugging into the base, .31 inches thin, 240Hz. They didn't have the touch screen remote with the TV, but I didn't care and apparently it knocked off a couple hundred bucks.

I've only had a 42" Westinghouse LCD prior to this purchase with 2 black marks on the TV, so I needed an upgrade. Everything looks good, Avatar looked amazing in the store. I was just wondering if I can get some calibration help to get the best out of my picture quality.

I'll mainly use this TV for gaming and watching sports/movies.

Also, in general what is everyone's thoughts on this set? I was planning on going with a Panasonic Viera model going in but couldn't pass up such a deal and saved anywhere from $400-$1,200.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Here's a link to the original thread on this model, suggest you read the whole thing if possible:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=c9000

I know it's a lot to wade through but will be your best way of finding settings etc.

the general consensus on the C9000 was that it was a "statement piece" from Samsung, a demonstration of just how thin they could make a set and how gimmicky a remote they could produce, but at the expense of pq compared to some lower models in their line.

It should perform at least as well as any other $1200 55" led set, but no better than some costing $1500-1700 and worse than many plasmas at 1-1.2k. Gaming lag will be among the worst and 3D performance only fair.

You do have somewhat of a collector's item, I suppose--until the OLED sets come out later this year it's still the thinnest set ever made.

Steve S.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Here's a link to the original thread on this model, suggest you read the whole thing if possible:

I know it's a lot to wade through but will be your best way of finding settings etc.

the general consensus on the C9000 was that it was a "statement piece" from Samsung, a demonstration of just how thin they could make a set and how gimmicky a remote they could produce, but at the expense of pq compared to some lower models in their line.

It should perform at least as well as any other $1200 55" led set, but no better than some costing $1500-1700 and worse than many plasmas at 1-1.2k. Gaming lag will be among the worst and 3D performance only fair.

You do have somewhat of a collector's item, I suppose--until the OLED sets come out later this year it's still the thinnest set ever made.

Thanks for the reply and the link. Honestly, for owning it for going on 3 days now I am considering returning it for probably a Panasonic Plasma 2012 series. The C9000 produces some great picture quality and movies look amazing on it. They were playing Avatar at Best Buy and I didn't really notice any problems with the fast action scenes. BUT since having it, even watching things like Shawshank Redemption on AMC HD through my Infinity Cable Box I noticed some jitter and laggy display and that was on a "low action movie."

I am also a big gamer, owning a 360, and NHL12 looked really good. I tried out Ghost Recon Future Soldier Beta and MOH online and at one point the games were unplayable because of the fast movement/action produces all this blur and lag. :/ I adjusted the settings a little with the Auto Motion Plus and it helped a little. My brother said he doesn't notice it at all anymore, I swear I still do and it could just be me being paranoid, but it is not a risk I am willing to take.

For what I want a TV for; gaming, sports, movies (in that order) do you think I am better off exchanging this TV with the problems I've listed and the problems you mentioned?

I think regardless, with a TV like this or any exceptional HDTV, you wouldn't expect to have to adjust the settings so much to reduce lag and blur.

I won't mind if I have to pay an extra $200-600 now as long as it is a good upgrade and fits my needs/wants.

If so, which Panasonic Viera would you recommend? I don't really care for 3D and smart apps, I care for picture quality and great at handling games and sports. I'm looking at the U50 (non 3D), which I could actually save money on. Also looking at ST50 and GT50.

Thanks.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure you've got a 30 day return period so you don't have to do anything right away. Keep playing with the 9000 for a few more days and if it still isn't acceptable then return it.

Panasonic plasmas have about the least gaming lag of anything available. Their LEDs and Sharp LEDs are also quite good. For a plasma I'd go for the UT50--the panel is different from the U50 and worth it even if you never do 3D. Be aware however that with plasma there is some risk of burn in if you do a lot of gaming for really extended periods of time, especially while the set's new. An led with low lag might be a better choice. The 52" Sharp 640 series should run about what you paid for the 9000 and is a solid performer with low input lag in game mode.

Steve S.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you've got a 30 day return period so you don't have to do anything right away. Keep playing with the 9000 for a few more days and if it still isn't acceptable then return it.

Panasonic plasmas have about the least gaming lag of anything available. Their LEDs and Sharp LEDs are also quite good. For a plasma I'd go for the UT50--the panel is different from the U50 and worth it even if you never do 3D. Be aware however that with plasma there is some risk of burn in if you do a lot of gaming for really extended periods of time, especially while the set's new. An led with low lag might be a better choice. The 52" Sharp 640 series should run about what you paid for the 9000 and is a solid performer with low input lag in game mode.

Thanks again for the response. Also, I do have 30 days so I am still toying with it for now. I tweaked some settings on the HDMI input for my Xbox 360 and it looks and performs much better. I still probably have some more tweaking and balancing to do to get the best out of the picture and game lag.

I have to say the picture for HD channels is awesome and blu rays are simply stunning on this TV. I tried out Avatar (of course), 300, and Transformers and they all looked great and performed great.

I have to say I am in love with this TV when it comes to its look/design and its picture in regards to cable and blu rays. Still figuring out the game mode though. Do you think it is worth it to have a professionally done calibration if I decide to keep the TV? As of now I have only heard of Geek Squad around me that will do calibrations. But are they reliable?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Geek squad limits the time their techs are allowed to spend on your set, and the general consensus around here is that the allowed time isn't enough to do the job right. I'd check out the Display Calibration forum for recommendations on independent calibrators.

It would be worthwhile to get one of the calibration discs like Disney WOW as a stopgap until you decide whether you want to spring for a pro calibration. You could do this even before you decide whether to return the Sammy, as it could be used on any subsequent set you might purchase. Won't be as good as a full-on pro calibration but still worth the outlay.

Steve S.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Geek squad limits the time their techs are allowed to spend on your set, and the general consensus around here is that the allowed time isn't enough to do the job right. I'd check out the Display Calibration forum for recommendations on independent calibrators.

It would be worthwhile to get one of the calibration discs like Disney WOW as a stopgap until you decide whether you want to spring for a pro calibration. You could do this even before you decide whether to return the Sammy, as it could be used on any subsequent set you might purchase. Won't be as good as a full-on pro calibration but still worth the outlay.

I'll look into DIsney's WOW blu ray and see if that helps. Is that only going to be for my blu ray display though? What about calibrating for my cable and gaming? I guess I could just copy the same calibrations and use them for cable and gaming, right?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page