Panasonic TC-L42E50 - Anyone? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 107 Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this TV from Amazon as well with the $100 promo and expecting it to be 120Hz. Saw today that the desc of the TV changed to 60Hz, so I contacted Panasonic chat for the answer.

raj: Can you tell me what the refresh rate is on the TC-L42E50 tv?
Alicia T.: 360 backlight scanning, which is equivalent to 60Hz.
raj: Wow, most every place I see online advertises this as 120Hz
raj: I just bought this thinking it was 120, and am very disappointed to hear that it is not.

She never responded after that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshM View Post

I just bought this TV from Amazon as well with the $100 promo and expecting it to be 120Hz. Saw today that the desc of the TV changed to 60Hz, so I contacted Panasonic chat for the answer.

raj: Can you tell me what the refresh rate is on the TC-L42E50 tv?
Alicia T.: 360 backlight scanning, which is equivalent to 60Hz.
raj: Wow, most every place I see online advertises this as 120Hz
raj: I just bought this thinking it was 120, and am very disappointed to hear that it is not.

She never responded after that!

Thanks for the effort in contacting Panasonic.
That response from Alicea of Panasonic doesn't surprise me, I doubt she knows her job well since she never responded to you disappointment with the product.

As far as the assumption that 360 Backlight Scanning indicates 120Hz from earlier posts, according to Alicea that is not tue, that indicates 60Hz.

You should have asked her, if that is the case, then why is TC-L42ET5 listed at 120Hz and includes 3D is only 60Hz since that model also indicates 360 Backlight Scanning.
The TC-L42ET5 sells for 629.00 at Amazon today.

The mystery continues.
post #93 of 107 Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Can't comment on the hz issue, no idea, but i am curious if it is bad to have a rainbow line across the screen in direct sunlight?

post #94 of 107 Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 AM

I got one of these from Amazon about a week ago. Pretty pleased so far.
post #95 of 107 Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 AM

And now it's back on amazon as a 120 hz...lol
post #96 of 107 Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Yes I saw it was back on Amazon at 120Hz again, as is the TC-L47E50 and TC-L55E50 at 120 Hz.
That prompted to contact Panasonic via chat to get the truth. As with the earlier post by
As with RajeshM’s Post # 91 attempt to get the true refresh rate from Panasonic, I contacted Panasonic today and given useless information.

Customer says: Can you please advise the refresh rate for theTC-L42E50 TV. I recently purchased it from Amazon and listed as 120Hz. Then they changed it to 60Hz, now it is back to 120Hz.
Agent Travian C. says: The refresh rate for this unit is 60Hz
Customer says: Can you advise where that is listed in your literature.
Customer says: Not only Amazon has it listed at 120, but other vendors as well.
Agent Travian C. sends: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCL42E50.PDF
Agent Travian C. says: Page 18 of manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCL42E50.PDF
Agent Travian C. says: "Power Source AC: 110 - 127 V, 60 Hz"
Customer says: I have that manual, nowhere is the refresh rate listed.
Agent Travian C. says: Page 18 of manual at the top
Customer says: That is wrong that is not the refresh rate but rather the electrical input, has nothing to do with refresh rate.
Agent Travian C. says: Both information (power supply and refresh rate) is listed under the subheading "Power Source"
Customer says: Sorry I see I'm getting nowhere here, I'll take this up with Amazon.
Agent Travian C. says: Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Agent Travian C. says: Thank you for visiting. Please contact us at anytime.

I then called Amazon CS, I explained I need to know the actual refresh rate and questioned why it keeps changing.
I was transferred to the appropriate department, explained in detail and the person seemed genuinely concerned.
I also advised him people are posting at the Amazon recent posts they too are confused of what the actual refresh rate is.
I was told to hold and would get back to me shortly while he checks it out. Spent 40 minutes on hold and never got back to me once.

The frustration continues.
post #97 of 107 Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM

I contacted Amazon too. First they told me to contact Panasonic. I told them that it wasn't my job to check on something they were selling and constantly changing the items description. They apologized for the inconvenience and gave me additional Amazon contact info. I checked another email and it said I had a 2% promo credit from the TV purchase. I didn't take it further....

We should have a prize for the first person that can get actual confirmation of the refresh rate. That Panasonic CSR chat above is hilarious. They actually pay people to give that information out on their own products!
post #98 of 107 Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrickb View Post

I contacted Amazon too. First they told me to contact Panasonic. I told them that it wasn't my job to check on something they were selling and constantly changing the items description. They apologized for the inconvenience and gave me additional Amazon contact info. I checked another email and it said I had a 2% promo credit from the TV purchase. I didn't take it further....

We should have a prize for the first person that can get actual confirmation of the refresh rate. That Panasonic CSR chat above is hilarious. They actually pay people to give that information out on their own products!

I sure as heck won't be winning that prize.
After my failure with Amazon in getting an answer, I Googled and found that Niki Hoffman is the Marketing and Sales manager for Panasonic.
Got a phone number, 907 464-3550 Ext 2023. I call her, guess what, had to leave a voice mail, 5 hours later and I never get called back.

You'd think this would be so easy to get an answer, walk into any Best Buy and all TV's show screen size and refresh rate. Unfortunately the one in my area doesn't stock the TC-L42E50. Oh my, how I long for the old days when life was simpler. Make a call to customer service and speak to somebody in the USA and not some third world country and reads from a script.

My experience with Travian of Panasonic CS was quite annoying. Representatives assigned to answering questions about TV's should be knowledgeable and know what a refresh rate is, and not give me the electrical input specifications. I certainly hope somebody will be able to get a confirmation from Panasonic since the vendors are as confused as we are. You would think someone from Amazon would call their Panasonic contact and get a confirmation since their business reputation can be tarnished by unhappy customers not receiving what they expected, not to mention unnecessary returns.
post #99 of 107 Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM

I e-mailed Panasonic this question:

I purchased this set from Amazon last month when the refresh rate was advertised as 120Hz ... since then, Amazon has changed the advertised refresh rate to 60Hz, then most recently back to 120Hz. Since YOU manufactured the set, I need your official position on the refresh rate of this television, please!

And here's their reply:

Dear Valued Customer
Case Number:30251322

Thank you for your inquiry, the Panasonic TCL42E50 is 120Hz.
We hope this information is helpful.Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

When I got back in this evening, here's what I found on Amazon:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LC... has increased from $547.99 to $699.99
Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LC... has increased from $648.99 to $832.50
Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LC... has decreased from $1,289.00 to $1,130.98

CRAZY!!!

46" Samsung LN-T4671F FW: 1007 HW: 1001 (2007/08/09)

SA8300HDC with Navigator 2.4.9_3 Version (2008/01/24)

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

post #100 of 107 Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! eek.gif

I knew it couldn't be 60Hz (or at least I didn't want to believe it)! biggrin.gif
post #101 of 107 Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 AM

@bankerjohn
Thanks for posting the email you received from Panasonic verifying it is 120HZ, I feel better now but I thought I'd take it one step farther and try a different approach. It's possible the answer of the rep gave you was something they thought you wanted to hear so you wouldn't return the set.

My question is asking about the refresh rate BEFORE I but the TV so I won't have to return it if not satisfied. If they come back with the same answer that it being 120HZ we can put this mystery to rest for once and for all. BTW I still have not received a call back form Niki Hoffman at Panasonic and doubt I ever will (see my post # 98).

Below is my question I emailed CS, when I receive a reply I will post

“Can you please advise what the refresh rate is for the Vierra TC-L42E50. I have seen some conflicting information on Amazon posts. Some say it's 60HZ others say it's 120HZ.

I watch a lot of sports so I need the refresh rate to be 120HZ. I don't want to buy the television only to have to return it since it won't perform as expected.

I downloaded all the literature available from your site and nowhere does it indicate the refresh rate. This is an important specification to buyers and should be included in the owners manual.

Thank you in advance for answering my concerns.”
post #102 of 107 Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzbinnice View Post

Below is my question I emailed CS, when I receive a reply I will post

“Can you please advise what the refresh rate is for the Vierra TC-L42E50. I have seen some conflicting information on Amazon posts. Some say it's 60HZ others say it's 120HZ.

I watch a lot of sports so I need the refresh rate to be 120HZ. I don't want to buy the television only to have to return it since it won't perform as expected.

I downloaded all the literature available from your site and nowhere does it indicate the refresh rate. This is an important specification to buyers and should be included in the owners manual.

Thank you in advance for answering my concerns.”

I received a reply today confirming it is 120Hz, I am now satisfied that the mystery has been answered.

Dear Valued Customer
Case Number:30267705

Thank you for your inquiry, we apologize for the inconvenience. The refresh rate for the TC-L42E50 is 120HZ.
We hope this information is helpful.Thank you for contacting Panasonic.
post #103 of 107 Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Amazon just put everything back to 60 Hz! I chatted with a customer rep who said it was still a 120 Hz set but that the input voltage was 60 Hz. So I asked why is 60 Hz now in the title of the item and why is the 42 inch set now reading 60 Hz refresh rate in the item description? The rep said someone must have gotten confused and changed the specs.

I'm going to keep a watching this one, more a morbid curiosity than anything else.
post #104 of 107 Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 AM

I have had the 42 inch E50 since June,, it has the motion functions that 60hz sets do not. You will get a soe, I am not aware of 60hz sets that can do this. IMO the 120 and higher hz settings are a bit of a novelty, I have been using game mode mostly. If you want to make blurays look like they were shot on a high frame rate video camera, the E50 will provide that.
post #105 of 107 Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Hi!
Has anybody watched videos WITH a separate subtitle file from a USB drive or SD card on this TV? Formats?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #106 of 107 Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Yes, it's me again, the abysmally tech-clueless, with a few more exciting questions for the beneficently (I hope!) tech-savvy. Please bear with me, and please forgive me for the cardinal sin of triple posting this, here, and in the "LCD Flat Panel Displays" forum, and in the "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming" forum. These questions concern the following components in my setup:

Denon AVR-3312CI
Panasonic Viera TV TC-L42E50
AirPort Extreme Base Station (0x168C, 0x9A)
Roku 3
Cisco Digital Cable Box RNG150N, HDMI out to the Denon
Comcast "Blast!" level bandwidth
27" iMac Mid-2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
My non-Cylon, v.1 brain, very limited capacity, prone to thermal shutdown during data overload, and with an extremely volatile short-term memory.

Point 1. My AirPort Extreme Base Station has only three ethernet outs, one of which goes to my iMac, one of which goes to my Roku 3, and the last of which goes to my Denon Av Receiver.

Point 1, question 1: My Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 also has an ethernet IN port. Is the content available through the Viera framework (which I've been trying to understand with the "help" of Panasonic customer "support," but as many here can testify, Panasonic support is a very leaky vessel indeed, and the "answers" one gets are generally equal in usefulness to those from a Magic 8 Ball) worth setting up another ethernet router, connected to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, which I use as a very limited 3-out-port ethernet router and a WiFi point for my Kindles (both reader and 8.9" HD Fire) and my old knock-around G4 iBooks?

Point 1, question 2: CAN another ethernet-only hub be connected to one of the ethernet outs of the AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Point 1, question 3: If NOT, I would greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions for an 802.11n wireless N + gigabit ethernet router with more than 3 available ethernet outs -- enough ports to serve the iMac, the Denon, the Roku 3, and the Panasonic Viera TV.

NB: I mostly stream stuff from Amazon Prime through the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and from there by ethernet to the Roku 3, and have VERY few glitches, other than a bit of slow-loading at peak usage times. Once a video loads, it plays without a hitch, and I NEVER pay for the HD version -- the Denon up-converts video that is indistinguishable to my old eyes from the HD shows, HDTV or high-quality DVDs. Blu-Ray is a slight improvement, but not much.

Point 2, question 1: The nearly 160-page pdf Denon AVR-3312CI manual SEEMS to say that I can show photos, and play audio and video that's on my iMac through the Denon, and thus to the Panasonic Viera TV and through my more-or-less 5.1 speaker setup. Is this correct?

Point 2, question 2: If that's NOT correct, can someone tell me how I can get my own content from the iMac to the Denon, please?

I was going to ask about the URC-WR7 Pre-Programmed and Learning Universal Remote and why I can't understand which buttons DON'T turn my Panasonic display to analog snow, but that's more of a metaphysical question. When I asked Denon "customer support" -- even worse than Panasonic's by several orders of magnitude -- why I was seeing snow noise, which is not possible from a digital input, I learned later that evening from my son-in-law, the Denon rep said "Oh, just box up the Denon and FedEx or bring it to our Bridgeport repair facility for service, for which we'll charge you $40-$50 or so, PLUS the return shipping" by FedEx of the nearly 40-pound Denon back to my home. While the prospect of enjoying the Russian roulette of I-95 and the exotic sights and smells -- especially the smells -- of Bridgeport were all deliciously enticing to contemplate, the 120+ mile round trip was not. So I called my son-in-law in Kansas City that night, and he solved the problem in under 20 seconds -- told me I'd hit the wrong input button (the one marked "TV" on the Denon remote), and briskly walked me through the 2 or 3 step process on the Denon's set-up menu to get back to SAT/CBL where I needed to be.

Maybe I'd get more done around here if I hadn't got it up again (and again -- I did the same stupid thing last week, but managed to dither my way back to Denon nominal): I stayed up till 3:00 this morning re-watching the last 6 episodes of "Battlestar Galactica"

Hope someone can help me with my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Bart Brown

So-far unindicted co-conspirators:

URC-WR7 Pre-Programmed and Learning Universal Remote
Panasonic Blu-Ray Player DMP-BD75
Panasonic All-Region/All-Code DVD Player DVD-S68
Magnavox DVDR and VCR w/Digital Tuner
post #107 of 107 Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Been watching one for 11 months now and I hoping you haven't waited for this review to get one.

My biggest bitch is on VIERA Media Player some of the jpg's won't display.  I only use Thumbsplus

to manipulate and prepare simple imagery for display.  I know that the VIERO Media Player is very sensitive

to filenames, they seem to have to be alphanumeric.  Changing filename to the simple filename will

allow some jpg's that at first didn't display to display. But, NOT all of them. Hummmmm....??

Occasionally, there is some BRIEF display distortion, on close-up scene, when the camera make slow,

but wide turns, but Think this is more of a physics/optics thing.

At night (I observe in a no direct light room), when the screen is mostly white, it's to bright and when

a scene is shot with subdued lighting, the screen is to dark.

Can't remember a blurred or a 'trail' in a scene, even when Payton throws a TouchDown.

The Colors are splendid, bright and true, I was expecting a little more from HD, but new to that

and doesn't seem to be a LOT of HD channels that have HD shows.

I have read the iHELP on VIERO Tools. I need help in a determining a  Standard that will allow ALL

prroperly formatted jpg's to read,

This is their Manual.

TCL42E50.PDF 1,702k .PDF file

....and have a good place to 'Park' it, I have a smallish apartment and had to put it by the front door

I cringe when someone opens the door, to wide,  that hasn't seen how WIDE my new TV is.

I would buy it again.  Think cosmic,

TomT

Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCL42E50.PDF (1.66 MB, 2 views)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L42e50 42 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - L42e50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page