post #61 of 71 Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Yeah like everyone already stated, the majority of consumers just want "thin and cheap". And this is exactly what the manufacturers are selling. frown.gif

This is the only local dimming set announced for 2013: (that I could find)

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-84LM9600

The 84LM9600 is no Full-array, it's actually only edge-lit with their LED+(plus) local dimming. This is from the LG rep at both Best Buy and Nebraska Furniture Mart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I wasn't aware the HX950 had gotten the axe along side the Elite. I was told that since the HX929 ha lasted well into 2012 that HX950 was the refresh for 2012/2013. As for 2014 you will find full array (local dimming?) Sharp above 80", Samsung will only offer Full array (local dimming?) in their 85" 4k set. Samsung claims to have software that can produce edge-lit displays that will match plasma and full array contrast and uniformity. The future will tell,so unless Sony can release their Crystal LED or OLED w/Panasonic at an affordable price and stablility I am not sure. I know not all of us on this forum can drop 20-30,000$ on a television. Maybe we should be looking closer to 2017-18 for this technology to be affirdable

The 80" and 90" Sharp do not use local dimming in any way.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #63 of 71 Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The 80" and 90" Sharp do not use local dimming in any way.

The discussion was for future technology of 2014 and that is why "local dimming" was in quote with a "?", because the 2013 are releasing and we don't know what next year has in store.
post #64 of 71 Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

The discussion was for future technology of 2014 and that is why "local dimming" was in quote with a "?", because the 2013 are releasing and we don't know what next year has in store.

There won't be local dimming next year either.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #65 of 71 Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i actually keep wondering if that LG 9600 full array local dimming was a better buy then this es8000.
futureshop had a 55" on "final" what ever that meant for $1800 boxing week sale.the same size 55" es8000 was $2000.
i originally wanted the 9600 but no store had them so i settled with the es8000 with a price match later on biggrin.gif
there was a firmware update that has made the es8000 TV look Much better then the 1st day of viewing.
Is there some sortof "break in" with these edge lit tv's like with plasma?,because it almost seems like there was plus the update improvements.
I used to own a c8000 plasma but it wasn't what i expected for gaming & 3d gaming was dissapointing on console.
this es8000 is better for gaming & the 3d is improved, by how much? idunno, hard to say, maybe 30%, maybe 50%? but it is better.
I don't watch much in the way of movies but as others have said, each tech is good for doing something the other can't.
I definitely do want another plasma & it will prolly be my last before moving on to projectors.
the F8500 plasma looks wonderful if all pans out well.Maybe the g8500 will be my next plasma.
i have owned 2 lcd & 1 plasma so far & what i want most is 1080p running 60hz 3d gaming, none of this 24 or 28hz BS.
You NEVER know, maybe fullarray/local dimming will reappear in the future, damn $1800 for that 9600 lg was a steal deal frown.gif

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #66 of 71 Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Just to be clear, direct lit LEDs are in fact full array. Yes, they have fewer LEDs than "traditional" full array sets because the LEDs are set farther from the panel (and are brighter). But it's absolutely full array. If someone ever built a direct lit. local dimming set, it could have scores of dimming zones. The purpose of "direct lit" sets is that they are stupid cheap to make because they use these pre-assembled light bars instead of edge bars and light guides. They are thick and somewhat ungainly as a result. But they have an awful lot of LEDs. "Traditional" full array uses more because in order to stay thin, it needs to jam the LEDs right up to the panel and therefore the light cannot naturally diffuse. But there are plenty of LEDs on a direct-lit set and they are most certainly full array.

You are over-generalizing. Obviously, the TV manufacturers distinguish between direct-lit and full array. If two were same or even close enough, I am certain TV makers would jump at claiming direct-lit was full array since "full array" has more cachet, a term associated with higher grade of TVs. Kinda like how Samsung jumped at describing their TVs as LED TVs when it was simply a LCD TV with LED lighting when LED was seemed as cutting edge.

As you have described, these two types of TVs have enough differences to merit different nomenclature. Only commonality between direct-lit and full array is that LEDs are placed behind the panel.
post #67 of 71 Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

You are over-generalizing.

I'm not.
Quote:
Obviously, the TV manufacturers distinguish between direct-lit and full array.

Please read my posts. They are making a marketing distinction based on the distance of the light source. It's not a real distinction, even though you want it to be.
Quote:
If two were same or even close enough, I am certain TV makers would jump at claiming direct-lit was full array since "full array" has more cachet, a term associated with higher grade of TVs.

Um, they are actually trying to market "direct lit" as a good thing. Except consumers aren't stupid. They see 4-inch thick TVs and they know they aren't state of the art. They see cheap TVs and they know they aren't state of the art. But they are nevertheless full array. You keep pretending there is some fundamental technological difference I guess because you want it to be true. It's not true. In one case, the LEDs are more or less jammed against the screen. In the other case, they are about 2 inches from the screen. In both cases, there are lots of LEDs arrayed across the entire back of the screen. Pretending these are not fundamentally the same thing is very very weird, to be honest. Oh, also, full array LCDs that are not "direct lit" nor "edge lit" aren't especially better than edge lit sets anyway.
Quote:
Kinda like how Samsung jumped at describing their TVs as LED TVs when it was simply a LCD TV with LED lighting when LED was seemed as cutting edge.

As you have described, these two types of TVs have enough differences to merit different nomenclature. Only commonality between direct-lit and full array is that LEDs are placed behind the panel.

In other words, they are the same thing. A full array of LEDs is placed behind the panel in both, In one case, there is a gap between the LEDs and the panel and slightly fewer LEDs. In the other case, the gap is much smaller and there are slightly more LEDs.

Only in the land of the obsessive compulsive would this be seen as a meaningful difference.

post #68 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I believe a number of manufactures are offering FALD in their 2013/14 lineup. I am familiar with the 4K 55LA9700 for one and it is selling quite well. I believe that other manufactures are also offering it. Why do some of you think it is dead? In my user groups it is quite alive.
Rich
post #69 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 384
You realize you're responding to a thread from over 2 years ago right?
post #70 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You realize you're responding to a thread from over 2 years ago right?
The last was in 2013 wasn't it?
Rich
post #71 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 PM

Where did everyone go? I looked and I believe the last post was in early 2013.
Rich
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page