Official Sony KDL-EX640 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 196 Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man I am killing myself for not getting a 40 inch set sooner. Is it worth it to roll the dice on a 40ex640 at this point? Sony's new 2013 TVs don't have 4 HDMIs on the 40 inch models, or they are all 60Hz sets.

I have a 32XBR9 that I LOVE for the wonderful motion processing. It absolutely counters any judder on films and makes it easily watchable, all without the soap opera effect. plus the gaming mode is top notch.

The sound is already weak on my 32XBR9... I wonder if the 40ex640 will be worse.

Worth it? Or look for a different brand 40 inch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post

Man I am killing myself for not getting a 40 inch set sooner. Is it worth it to roll the dice on a 40ex640 at this point? Sony's new 2013 TVs don't have 4 HDMIs on the 40 inch models, or they are all 60Hz sets.

I have a 32XBR9 that I LOVE for the wonderful motion processing. It absolutely counters any judder on films and makes it easily watchable, all without the soap opera effect. plus the gaming mode is top notch.

The sound is already weak on my 32XBR9... I wonder if the 40ex640 will be worse.

Worth it? Or look for a different brand 40 inch?

I have the 46 inch version and really like it. I have the motion control set on the low setting and I, while not a huge videophile, think the picture is great. As far as sound goes, I've always been a fan of a separate receiver and real speakers. The little I've used the built-in speakers, they seem fine, but I don't really use them. I also haven't noticed any problems with gaming on the TV.
post #183 of 196 Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Anyone else seeing horrible ghosting on black->gray transitions?

To test it plug a computer to the tv. In a browser set it to override page colors, set text to black (RGB 0) and background to the next highest shade (RGB 51). Now view just about any webpage (including this one) and scroll up and down. If you don't see it set PC and tv to brightness 50 (default), and tv to game mode.

You can also try this test image I whipped up. Just drag it around the screen.

Here is what it looks like on my screen. (taken with a canon point-n-shoot)(yes this tv is pretty reflective)
post #184 of 196 Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB99 View Post

I have a 46EX645 and I'm wondering, does "white balance" do anything?

If I select "custom" so that advanced setting and white balance adjustments are enabled (for example, using the CNET settings listed in post #17), I don't find that the RGB gain and/or RGB bias adjustments do anything.

I find the blues tend too much toward the purple side of the scale (from the CNET settings), but even if I max the gain and the bias (I tried all 3 of the R, G, and B with no difference) it doesn't visibly change the blue at all.

The gain is negative so I guess it's actually attenuation (zero is the default and changes are in the negative direction), so I would think that a more negative gain setting on Red and Green would make the Blue go more towards a pure blue but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there some other setting I need to change before the white balance adjustments have an effect?

About all I seem to be able to control for blues is darkness or brightness, but nothing via the white balance control.

I noticed this as well, In Picture->Advanced Settings 'White Balance' and 'Clear White' did nothing noticeable. After poking around in the hidden menu's I have fixed it. Now they work as they should.

Here's how to fix it:
Enter the Factory menu:
  • Turn TV on
  • On remote press: Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Mute, Select (center button), Mute, Menu (home)
    (all buttons must be pressed within 1s of each other)
  • Select "white balance" and set it to on.

Should work now. Re-entering the factory menu shows it as off again but that doesn't seem to matter, 'White Balance'&'Clear White' still work.

By the way, if anyone is interested, finer color calibration is available in the factory menu under 'Color Temp' and 'ADC calibration' (ADC seems only available under PC or component inputs). If anyone knows what 'Aging Mode' means I'm curious to know. I may have accidentally switched it on.
post #185 of 196 Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM

I have a problem with my ex640, youtube app has an error and dont allow me to see videos when are llayin because this error screen in front the video. Could it be the firmware( i have the latest update). Is ghere a way to change firmware to a similar firmware?
post #186 of 196 Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvir View Post

I have a problem with my ex640, youtube app has an error and dont allow me to see videos when are llayin because this error screen in front the video. Could it be the firmware( i have the latest update). Is ghere a way to change firmware to a similar firmware?

I have the same problem, at least I did a couple days ago. This is the second error for this app from Sony. It also seems when it IS working that I don't get access to all of the content avail on youtube if I were to go thru a computer. I just HDMI from my laptop anymore. This app is junk.
post #187 of 196 Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 PM

All KDL-EX640 TV's are out with last YouTube update. Sony Engineers are aware and YouTube is aware, of the problem now. They just don't seem to have an answer to the problem. Sony made many shortcuts on this TV when it came to processing and layout of operation. I hate the render system for DLNA. All Sony smart TV's built since 2011 were suppose to be able to use the side remote app, for Android and IOS Apple .

Sony couldn't get it to work on this set, so they changed there stance and said on select TV's. I have recently purchase this TV on clearance. It cannot begin to compare to my EX620. I have until next week to return it. I have been swaying to that direction, even if it was a good price. To many ghost and bugs in this firmware and design layout.
post #188 of 196 Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM

I bought this TV back in March 2013 (40" version)
It's been working OK for the most part for a bedroom TV - Sony apps nonwithstanding

Twice recently it made this "KRRRRRRRR" sound. Very loud and obviously not good. First time long enough for me to grab the remote and turn the TV off. Then yesterday again for 2 seconds or so.
Any ideas? I'm thinking it's got something to do with the power board.
post #189 of 196 Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hello all,

My friend owns this TV:

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/klv-60ex640

I'm not really sure if it's the same as the KDL version in this thread since he's using a version that was released in the middle east.

Anyway, he's having a problem with the TV and trying to get a replacement since it's still under warranty, there's a blue blur around objects during fast motion dark scenes, for example if you're playing a dark video game and spanning the camera around, there's a blue trail around the edge of objects that's very annoying. Place he got it from are telling him this is a normal thing in this particular model which I personally highly doubt because it's a pretty major flaw, so can you guys please confirm whether you have this issue too or not ?

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #190 of 196 Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had a scare this morning. TV would not power on. Called Sony did a factory reset and everything works fine. Just curious, how long does it take for the Sony logo to come on ? It seems like it's taking a little longer these days. It's about six seconds now. Anybody else have it take that long for the TV to power on? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
post #191 of 196 Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 PM

any body know how i can watch stuff from my computer wirelessly with this model......any sony app? Thanx. Lou

post #192 of 196 Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 PM

Anybody know where i can find optimum settings for this tv?

post #193 of 196 Old 04-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Just saw a sony 48 inch at costco for 629.99 model # kdl-48w590b...........looking for specs on this.....costco lists as 60hz but 240 motionflow which usually means that its actually a 120hz panel? Any help? Thanx in advance......Lou

post #194 of 196 Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My TV doesn't seem to take very long to turn on. I've only ever had my PC connected over hdmi but have steamed video etc to it via a NAS. In my opinion the best settings for the TV I posted earlier in this thread. I believe that motion flow xr240 means 120 Hz panel. Frame interpolation will bring that up to 240. Google is your friend
post #195 of 196 Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Thanx!
post #196 of 196 Old 06-03-2014, 02:56 AM

Anybody having Youtube problems? Last few weeks won't show "related videos" and when clicking on certain videos to play it actually reverts back to the last video played. Any ideas? ”
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page