Official Samsung UNxxES7500 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 428 Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I picked up the 55' version on Saturday, I previously had an LG 7600 which I returned because of the backlight bleed.

I only had the weekend to test out the set but here are my first impressions.

Cons:

• UI is terrible, Samsung hired a blind man to design their interface. Stuff is burried three levels deep, unintuitive. LG's interface is better ... I kept looking for the magic remote, neither of the remotes are backlight, makes it hard to find a button in the dark. The touch remote seems like garbage as well.
  • Smart hub is garbage... family story, really?
  • ZERO integration for OS X, way to go Samsung, thanks for alienating your customer base because of your shady practices. Only work around I could find was serviio which works ok. LG supports plex, apparently older versions of samsungs have a plex app but not this set which makes zero sense. Also is there a way to disable the wifi? I have ethernet plugged in
  • No support for custom picture settings?... am I missing something? The LG had two saved settings for custom calibration... Every setting on the Samsung has different options available with no rhyme or reason why. Also turning on true motion enables it across all settings... why?
  • Even with sharpness turned down the picture can sometimes look overally grainy, my guess this has something to do with the micro dimming that adds a level of sharpness to everything.
  • 3D is annoying... although the effect is slightly better I prefer passive.
  • voice and camera features are a novelty.

Pros:

• The picture is more defined and more detailed, blacks are deeper than the LG.
  • Samsung is far brighter... but really you don't buy a TV to illuminate your house.
  • Motion is handled better... on the LG parts of the picture seemed to break up at fast panning scenes. This could be due to the dual core on the samsung as well.
  • Less clouding and backlight bleed then the LG.
  • Build quality seems higher.
  • Movies stream faster and without stutter... again connected via ethernet.

I guess the better picture makes up for the cons but I would trade all the poorly implemented smart options fo a decently designed DNLA media service.
Tom1968 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 428 Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if you can disable wifi on this set? I'm getting issues with hard wiring the connection having the wifi enabled.
Urobulus likes this.
post #93 of 428 Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys - I just bought a 60 inch ES7500 and while I think its an awesome TV, I'm having a little trouble optimizing the settings for watching sports. The sharpness and overall picture quality is fine, I just can't seem to get the colors right. I would love to hear what settings you guys use for watching sports. This is what I have currently:

Picture Mode: Dynamic
Backlight: 14
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 50
Color: 45
Tint(G/R): 50/50

Color Tone: Cool
Digital Noise Filter: High
MPEG Noise Filter: High
HDMI Black Level: Low
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
LED Motion Plus: Off
post #94 of 428 Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdemaio View Post

Just bought this TV. Loving it so far, although I'm struggling with some over scan issues. I have a few more weeks to decide if I keep it. I was only really tempted by the LG (and possibly plasma, though I like the look of LCD better). Anyone have any hidden gotchas, I should know about?
PDQ

In aspect ratio setting select something to the affect "screen fit." This will show no overscan.
post #95 of 428 Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VK2010 View Post

Hey guys - I just bought a 60 inch ES7500 and while I think its an awesome TV, I'm having a little trouble optimizing the settings for watching sports. The sharpness and overall picture quality is fine, I just can't seem to get the colors right. I would love to hear what settings you guys use for watching sports. This is what I have currently:

I would suggest you take a look at the ES8000 thread for some good settings. Check out Garnoch's settings for the 7500. Click his profile name, he has them listed there. Dynamic just isn't adjustable enough for what you're looking for.
post #96 of 428 Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VK2010 View Post

Dynamic picture mode will cause a too high contrast picture and loss of black level details and other issues - use Standard or Movie mode.
color temp at "cool" will be way too bluish and will turn outdoor sports with grass and dirt such as baseball, football and golf to look unrealistic.
Warm1 or Warm2 will work much better for realistic color tones especially with sports.
Also turn off those noise filters and reduce sharpness as low as possible, they may cause artifacts.
post #97 of 428 Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks a ton Op's Guy and Brisco. I'm going to try your suggestions this week as well as trying Garnoch's settings. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
post #98 of 428 Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone actually had a professional calibration done to this set? I noticed someone said the 7500 is quite different from the es8000...
post #99 of 428 Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 13
I have, however when a IFC tech calibrates your settings they get into a service menu to access additional settings the common user does not have access to. If you go back and read all posts, you see many posters have mentioned and posted settings, but the only way to get calibrate settings is to have your TV calibrated. If you bought your TV from Best Buy, its a free feature with a Silver zone rewards member.
post #100 of 428 Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

What I mean't to say was calibrated... not professionally. I'm just looking for some general settings for Standard mode... not interested in toying with the service menu.
post #101 of 428 Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to turn off the musical note sound the ES7500 makes when a person turns the TV on and off?
post #102 of 428 Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

You can turn it off in the setup menu.

Curious but does anyone game on their es7500 with an xbox? I'm having an issue with which hdmi setting to use on the TV and on the console....

I've opted for auto on the xbox and I can't decide whether low or normal is the best option on the set... does anyone know the setting or can share their settings for gaming?
post #103 of 428 Old 11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

You can turn it off in the setup menu.
Curious but does anyone game on their es7500 with an xbox? I'm having an issue with which hdmi setting to use on the TV and on the console....
I've opted for auto on the xbox and I can't decide whether low or normal is the best option on the set... does anyone know the setting or can share their settings for gaming?

HDTV: HDMI : Low and Xbox360 with HDMI Color Space: Source and Reference Level: Standard. (OK)

OR

HDTV: HDMI : Normal and Xbox360 with HDMI Color Space: YCbCr709 and Reference Level: Standard, Intermediate or Expanded. (Better)

OR

HDTV: HDMI: Normal and Xbox360 with HDMI Color Space: RGB and Reference Level: Expanded. (Best)
post #104 of 428 Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

You must have an older version of the xbox OS.... the options I have are Auto, source, RGB, YCB blah blah blah... I have it set to Auto and it seems to work fine... I'm more concerned with the TV setting... does normal give a better range for gaming? Does low clip black level detail?
post #105 of 428 Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Hi Guys.
Just bought this as well (but it's named UE40ES7005 here in Europe)
Does anyone know how to update the AllShare Play share using the TV? Right now I have to boot up the Samsung All Share application and update manually everytime I add new files to show on the TV.

Thanks in advance guys smile.gif
post #106 of 428 Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
UN46ES7500 - All my HDMI ports stopped working...

Very frustrated, I only had this tv for 2 weeks..None of the HDMI ports no longer worked...The HDMI cables were ok...my sources like my cable box, bluray player and ps3 all work on other HDTVs i own as well..I did a factory reset like the manual states, still nothing...also I have the latest firmware...

Now I have to return it for a replacement...very very frustrating and upsetting..

I'll keep UPDATING this, what a nightmare...so much for being a SMART tv...its a pretty "DUMB" one if all HDMI ports dont even work...

HAS ANYONE HERE EXPERIENCED THIS HDMI PORT PROBLEM? PLEASE LET ME KNOW...

UPDATED: OCTOBER 22nd, 2012
I got the identical set replaced by amazon, so far its been perfect, no problems at all, except for all the hassle of sending everything back to amazon. This 7500 & 8000 Series by Samsung is one of the most tech packed HDTV's out there, great all around... BUT no support for AMAZON PRIME VIDEO, wassup with that amazon & samsung, fix this already...lol

UPDATE: This TV now finally supports Amazon Prime Video...yehhhhh!
post #107 of 428 Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked up the 55" ES7500 this week and it is a very nice picture. So far I haven't seen any uniformity issues and the 3D is actually better than I thought it would be.

I am having an issue though and I haven't found how to fix it yet. It keeps popping up this box in the middle of the screen that says there is a update and I need to power off and back on. I have powered it off and on a few times today and it keeps coming back. It just pops in the middle of the screen while watching a movie. I assume it is related to the smarthub apps as the system software is on the latest update. I have tried to do manual updates but it appears I need to update each of the apps individually and that is annoying as I don't ever plan to use them.

1) Has anyone seen this and is there way to turn off the notifications?
2) Is there a way to completely turn off the Smarthub?

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #108 of 428 Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

You must have an older version of the xbox OS.... the options I have are Auto, source, RGB, YCB blah blah blah... I have it set to Auto and it seems to work fine... I'm more concerned with the TV setting... does normal give a better range for gaming? Does low clip black level detail?

Experiment with the settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409865/official-samsung-unxxes7500-thread/90#post_22565625

I have the most recent OS/Dashboard Update......
post #109 of 428 Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone tell me if that it's safe to use the calibration settings users in the 8000 thread are reccomending with this 7500 model?
Are the two sets similiar enough in color depth/contrast/features that it's going to yield similar enough results?

I'm considering exchanging my 6500 for this display. Thoughts?

Also, I'm seeing alot of talk about the motion conotrol/camera stuff being clunky. This feature can be disabled right? As in, I don't have to use it?
post #110 of 428 Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM

I have the SPDIF audio optical going from my UN46ES7500 to my 5.1 surround sound receiver... it is not outputing 5.1 Dolby Digital, only Stereo Dolby Digital....does this even support 5.1 dolby digital? I went under the audio settings and no luck.... and yes the programming is being broadcasted in 5.1 DD

PLEASE HELP!

No 5.1 DD being output OTA, Amazon video or Netflix....very frustrating....

and don't tell me 5.1 DD only works under HDMI output...I need 5.1 in optical output....eek.gif
post #111 of 428 Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

I have the SPDIF audio optical going from my UN46ES7500 to my 5.1 surround sound receiver... it is not outputing 5.1 Dolby Digital, only Stereo Dolby Digital....does this even support 5.1 dolby digital? I went under the audio settings and no luck.... and yes the programming is being broadcasted in 5.1 DD
PLEASE HELP!
No 5.1 DD being output OTA, Amazon video or Netflix....very frustrating....
and don't tell me 5.1 DD only works under HDMI output...I need 5.1 in optical output....eek.gif

UPDATE:

I found out what the real problem was....On my 2012 samsung smart TV (UN46ES7500), it does support output 5.1 audio via PCM or DD, whether on Optical/SPDIF or HDMI outputs....but heres the catch, The entire SmartHub User Interface only supports 2 channels...yes even for netflix and amazon video streaming services....what a rip off.....

Here's the SmartHub Fiasco Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438853/official-samsung-smart-hub-fiasco-thread
post #112 of 428 Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else noticed bad gradient banding in low level scenes on this set? I first noticed it in night scenes with black and grey but now I'm noticing it on reds and greens... is this a compression problem?

My old samsung plasma had the same issue but didn't think it effected LEDs.
post #113 of 428 Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed bad gradient banding in low level scenes on this set? I first noticed it in night scenes with black and grey but now I'm noticing it on reds and greens... is this a compression problem?
My old samsung plasma had the same issue but didn't think it effected LEDs.

I find these banding issues mostly with netflix and amazon thru smart hub....but when watching movies directly from my PS3, man its amazing...no flaws at all.. the top and bottom black bars can't get any blacker...its almost if those LEDs were turned off like in local dimming TV's....

....no streaming service will ever beat the real deal of a blueray disc...there are way too much compression, artifacts, and bandwith squeezing thru streaming services. Even tho they might call it HD, but you can definitely tell the difference between a 1080p movie from a bluray disc vs streaming services....
post #114 of 428 Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

I've noticed it using Apple TV and Plex App through Apple TV. The files are streamed MKV through my imac... I'm going to test direct with USB when I get home.
post #115 of 428 Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

So the last few times watching 3D I get these lines on either side of the screen.... its like the 3d image isn't being stretched far enough or something... this is through plex from my imac so could be the source.

Also I noticed the backlight bleed when watching 3D and letterbox gets progressively worse the longer you watch, I watched cloudy with meatballs last night and by half way through all four corners of the screen had noticeable bleed.

Is this right? Should the backlight bleed come and go like that? For instance I watched Savages the other night, letterbox as well, and I didn't notice any bleed... I'm on the fence as to whether I should try another panel... I love the TV, except for the cumbersome 3D, I just want to know if this is the norm.

Is backlight bleed from all 4 corners normal?
post #116 of 428 Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

just want to know if this is the norm.

Well, I guess it is something every edge lit LED TV will have, some more than others. I do notice it on mine, especially on the top right and bottom right corners, both on 3D and 2D.
To be honest the firs couple of times I kept looking at the bleed specially on black letter boxed areas, but after a while I got over it and didn't notice them at all. There are some times when I do notice them again, but that is only if the movie I'm watching is boring smile.gif.
post #117 of 428 Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:

So the last few times watching 3D I get these lines on either side of the screen.... its like the 3d image isn't being stretched far enough or something... this is through plex from my imac so could be the source.
Also I noticed the backlight bleed when watching 3D and letterbox gets progressively worse the longer you watch, I watched cloudy with meatballs last night and by half way through all four corners of the screen had noticeable bleed.
Is this right? Should the backlight bleed come and go like that? For instance I watched Savages the other night, letterbox as well, and I didn't notice any bleed... I'm on the fence as to whether I should try another panel... I love the TV, except for the cumbersome 3D, I just want to know if this is the norm.

Another thing I forgot to mention about this TV is that on 3D mode it automatically changes its picture mode and ramps up the Contrast and Backlight levels to the max (20 for backlight) in order to compensate for the shutter glasses which dim the picture. If you have a backlight low to medium setting (i.e 10) for watching 2D content where there is almost no bleed on the letter box, then when switching to 3D the bleed will become obvious. You can turn down the backlight setting when watching 3D if you want, although the recommended setting is to have it set higher than what you use for 2D in order to compensate for the amount of light reduced by the glasses.
post #118 of 428 Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

UPDATE:
I found out what the real problem was....On my 2012 samsung smart TV (UN46ES7500), it does support output 5.1 audio via PCM or DD, whether on Optical/SPDIF or HDMI outputs....but heres the catch, The entire SmartHub User Interface only supports 2 channels...yes even for netflix and amazon video streaming services....what a rip off.....
Here's the SmartHub Fiasco Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438853/official-samsung-smart-hub-fiasco-thread

With my ES7100, I have confirmed many times that I can get true DD 5.1 from using the Netflix App with SmartHub - my AVR only goes into DD 5.1 mode when the Netflix stream states it has DD 5.1 audio available.

I would also note the audio sounds exactly the same if I use my TiVo Premier Netflix app, which also puts out DD 5.1 when the available stream supports it.

I would NOT put any weight on what Samsung support rep's state or claim - trust me.
post #119 of 428 Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks xiogel, this is totally the case... when watching 3D the bleed is noticeable, must be the high backlight setting. Unfortunately when lowering the backlight the picture isn't bright enough.
post #120 of 428 Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Hello, I just bought the UN60ES7500 from Best Buy and love the picture after I brought it home and played around with the settings! The 3D is amazing, and its nice to plug in a USB stick to watch vids too, suprisingly good qualtiy as well from the USB stick. Though, the 8000 just dropped to the same price I paid for the 7500, so I am debating on whether I want to exchange it or not. The only thing that bothers me is that the TV is so flimsy on the factory stand, it worries me a little bit - it is so easy to tilt. Also, not sure if it is just my TV, but the TV slants backwards a little on the stand, possibly to prevent it from tipping forward? Is this by design? My screws are as tight as they can get on the stand itself.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com