Spend my money for me! (Help choosing a TV) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's up guys. Building a new home with a dedicated media room right now, and am trying to get my equipment purchases in order. The media room will be a light controlled room...Dark walls, ceilings, and carpet, sconce lighting along the side walls, and no windows. Planning a 'dual-purpose' set-up with a wall-mounted TV, and a drop-down projector. TV will be for more 'critical viewing' where I'm more concerned with image quality...projector will be for more 'social viewing' where I'm entertaining guests, or watching a flick with the family and what-not.

I plan to spend more on the TV and less on the projector, as I haven't been terribly impressed with the image quality of even the higher-end projectors and screens (huge diminishing returns as you go up in price IMO).

So the question is: What is the best flat-screen for the money in a light-controlled room?

I have a $10,000 budget to spend on audio and video equipment. I have a pretty good audio set-up now (modded Polk LSi's, EMO xpa-5, Hsu VTF-3). I'm more of an audio guy than a video guy, and was going to spend most of my money upgrading my audio equipment, but am willing to spend more on a TV if it makes sense.

I'd like a fairly large TV (65+ inches), but am more concerned with IQ than size. (picture quality on the Sharp LC80 is sub-par IMO)

I really like the Sharp Elite Pro, but am not sure I'm willing to part with that much money on the TV alone. I like the current Panny plasmas, but I haven't found one in a store set-up that was comparable to the Elite. That said, the shops I've visited never have their Plasmas set-up in an ideal fashion....(they're set-up to push the more expensive LCD sets).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you want a cheaper alternative for 65"+ you should definitely go for panasonic plasma. Awesome PQ and smart tv. Heres the gt50 (65 inch) for $3200 (The vt50 is a step up and will be about $3600)
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...6682521&sr=8-4

You could also downgrade to the 65'' st50 by panasonic for around $2400.

LED Options are more plentiful but 65" + sets with good PQ are really expensive.

65'' xbr929 by sony - $5500
60'' elite by sharp - $5000
post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page