Overscan on models question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Contacted the manufacturers and I might as well have been talking to a brick wall as little help they were.

I am looking into purchasing one ore more of the below listed TV's and would like to know if anyone here knows if these TV's have overscan and/or if it can be shut-off so I can see the all the signal the TV channel or dvd or blu-ray has to offer (by that I mean on 1.33 content I will be able see the top and bottom fully and not cut off like on the old square crt, 1.85 on all sides no lost image, and 2.35 the left and right images)

Element Electronics ELDFC551J

LG 47CS570

Sanyo DP55441

Toshiba 65HT2U

OR any models you know that fit my needs - Thank you in advance.

If you are wondering why I went with LCD's only and no internet model enabled TV's it is because I dislike how Ege Lit LED's in the above price and size range have bad lighting in the interior of the picture & I DESPISE INTERNET ENABLED TV's. If I want to be on the internet I will be on a computer and not a TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
It's a little time consuming but what I've done to get this information is to go to the mfgs. websites and download the owner's manual for the various models I'm interested in and check the section on screen size or aspect ratio adjustments.

Note that with overscan defeated you will sometimes get a flashing BW line at the top of some non-HD content from broadcast or satellite channels--this line contains closed captionning and other information normally hidden by overscan.

As for you attitude toward internet enabled tvs it really does limit your choices as most all mid to high end sets have this feature--you will sacrifice pq by insisting that your set not have this feature because the good ones all have it. I actually share your opinion but there is a way around it--just don't do the internet setup when you get the set.

An analogy would be refusing to buy a car with standard AC because you don't want or need AC. Not many cars come without it these days so your choices are limited. Now the auto mfgs are pushing bluetooth, streaming audio from cell towers, etc. If I wanted a computer on wheels I'd strap a laptop to a skateboard.

Steve S.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

It's a little time consuming but what I've done to get this information is to go to the mfgs. websites and download the owner's manual for the various models I'm interested in and check the section on screen size or aspect ratio adjustments.

Note that with overscan defeated you will sometimes get a flashing BW line at the top of some non-HD content from broadcast or satellite channels--this line contains closed captionning and other information normally hidden by overscan.

As for you attitude toward internet enabled tvs it really does limit your choices as most all mid to high end sets have this feature--you will sacrifice pq by insisting that your set not have this feature because the good ones all have it. I actually share your opinion but there is a way around it--just don't do the internet setup when you get the set.

An analogy would be refusing to buy a car with standard AC because you don't want or need AC. Not many cars come without it these days so your choices are limited. Now the auto mfgs are pushing bluetooth, streaming audio from cell towers, etc. If I wanted a computer on wheels I'd strap a laptop to a skateboard.

Apples & Oranges...... Another reason is they have the ability to use the Internet connection built-in (no matter if you have it connected or not) to monitor your tv viewing habits & also any electric device plugged in (that has the ability to send data) to monitor your house - same with the idiots who have built-in web cams to their computers (ask the PA school kids who leaned that the hard way) and in the tv (those new samsungs)

This is same reason why BD LIVE is nothing but another illegal moniitoring tool.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.o604 View Post

Apples & Oranges...... Another reason is they have the ability to use the Internet connection built-in (no matter if you have it connected or not) to monitor your tv viewing habits & also any electric device plugged in (that has the ability to send data) to monitor your house - same with the idiots who have built-in web cams to their computers (ask the PA school kids who leaned that the hard way) and in the tv (those new samsungs)

This is same reason why BD LIVE is nothing but another illegal moniitoring tool.

One would suggest not setting up the tv to connect to your or anyone else's wireless network.

Then again you could use a few spare tin foil hats and place it on the backside of the display.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway View Post

One would suggest not setting up the tv to connect to your or anyone else's wireless network.

Then again you could use a few spare tin foil hats and place it on the backside of the display.

perhaps you should stop sticking your head in the sand and educate yourself. I know of the facts I speak from people who work with the internet connecions and how - even if you turn them off - their are exploitable backdoors to turn them on without youre knowledge and/or consent. - And no im not talking hacking, I am talkkin of people who love invading innocent peoples privacy.

If this was not their intention, they would have not set a mandate by 2015 that all tv's sold at retail would this ability built-in. - So consumers are illegally bein screwed out of bein able to opt-out.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I am not aware of any current US TV models that do not provide as aspect ratio options:the ability to turn overscan off or the ability to stretch 4:3 content to full width. Some also enable the ability to use a non linear stretch for 4:3 content in order to avoid "fat face" images. Check the user's manual for any set you are considering on the internet for the available aspect ratio/picture size options. If you have trouble locating the user's manual at the manufacturer's website or understanding it once you find it let us know the specific make/model that you can not locate.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you start to look at Sharp HDTV models, they have overscan, but it can be turned off (use the dot-by-dot mode). In the latter case, indeed you get 1:1 pixel mapping.

In my case, in a major TV market, our FOX affiliate has a video server that when used during their newscast, you can see some of the VBI (ancillary data in the 8VSB stream) at the top of the screen, and I have the TV set for dot-by-dot. Shame on them!
post #8 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 14
The overscan on my Sharp is pretty bad on 480i pictures, and can't be adjusted. Most of the TV stations I actually watch are 480i standard-def too. At least I can get around this with my standard-def equipment (VCRs, etc) since they are upconverted to 1080p through my receiver.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

8traxrule,
Which Sharp Model do you have? Are your 480i SD stations broadcasting in Analog or Digital format?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 AM

Liked: 14
I have the LC-60C7450U. There are only 2 analog stations left in range and neither come in very well, but I do get several digital standard-def ones. One of them has been running color bars for several months and they are obviously cut off on this TV. On the standard video inputs and when setting my Blu-Ray player's resolution to 480 the picture is noticeably cropped too, but at 720 and 1080 it is almost perfect. The only adjustments available are 4 pre-set stretch and zoom options, they should have included a V-Size and H-Width adjustment like my Vizio had.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am unable to download a user manual from Sharp for your model. If you can provide a link please do.
Are you normally playing standard DVDs with your BR player?
What interface are you using for the Blu-ray, HDMI?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
My Kuro 151FD had overscan on 720p. My New Elite 70x5FD Doesn't have overscan on 720p. This was tested via a 1st gen PS3.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page