Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is your experience with what they say in the review for that tv

"Unfortunately, this is where the joy ride ends. The L7200U’s native, full 3D content doesn’t look much better than your average 3D circa 2011. Back- and middleground effects were acceptable, but the pop-out passive 3D effects (what most people might think of when they think of 3D) were riddled with crosstalk.
We recommend watching something subtle, or making use of the TriVector conversion. The full 3D experience just isn’t anything to write home about."

I was amazed by the LG 3D performance, it was one of the first 3D tv's that made me go "wow" with the 3D - Avoiding the whole "depth" vs gimmick "pop-out" debate, I do love the pop-out stuff and reading the above makes me nervous about that tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Guy`s ,

Well the "fun" is over , I just could not but up with the LM8600`s erratic behavior any more , so it is history.

In a way I am sorry to see it go , but I will not miss the light bleed and all the adjustments that I would have to make in a one days time.

As it turns out , there is more wrong with LM series than just simple "flash-lighting" and "backlight-bleeds " , those you can compensate for , but the real problem involves a heat issue that could only be resolved in future models.

No firmware up-date would fix this issue.

I understand most of you will continue to enjoy your new LG TV , and well you should , but if your a "power-user" like I am the TV get so hot that it is no longer able to hold a white balance.

A TV being able to hold a white balance is critical , at least for me , after several hours of operation I would find myself have to adjust the color settings on very channel I would turn to and there would be extreme "ghosting" , "blur " and "pixillation" even with the "Tru-Motion" maxed out [ or off ].

After { in the morning } it cools down the TV would be perfect , no issues what so ever , but after it heats up then the fun would start.

So that is that , if you are a casual TV viewer , then you have found your prefect TV , but if you plan on using -- really using the TV please be aware of this issue.

It`s been fun , really , I love this stuff , and I love solving problems.

I now challenge LG to make amends to there design , and make a better cooler TV.

I have often wondered about why the LM9600 was so on again off again for the 47".

I can only guess that with full array back-lighting , that would real get hot , maybe the 55" is large enough to dissipate heat more effectively , I truly don`t know.

I wish you guy`s all the best , if you need further help feel free to PM me . but my time posting on this thread has come to an end.

Good luck and goodnight.

Gary 
post #273 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM

What are you getting instead? Im about to get rid of mine for erratic reboot behavior, despite 2 tv's, a main board, different building power source, different cable providers/decoders, different inputs, nothing fixes it on this tv, so looking to replace with something equally as good.
post #274 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well , I`m not really sure.

I want to try to take a real look at the 47" WT50 and the L7200U ( Panasonic & Toshiba ) , but time will tell.

Right now I am back where I started with my KDL-40XBR2 , and aside from being only a 60Hz panel , the picture is fantastic.
There are areas of motion blur , but not as much as you might expect from an LCD with only a 60Hz refresh rate.

I wanted to give this set to my dad , and I still want to , and I`m still looking.

So like you asked , looking for what is the big question.

I really wanted the LG to workout , I liked the design and features , I just could not see having to chase the off-claibration after the set was on
for an extended time.

For "normal" people the LG 8600 will work fine , but I need a TV that can perform in a most demanding way.

So my search will continue , more later.

Take care , smile.gif

Gary 
post #275 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 11
Well ive owned both and the 3d on the toshiba is just as good if not better. There is no crosstalk and the contrast and black levels are a ton better. That review on the 3d is rubbish.
post #276 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

I went through 3 of these new LG's from Amazon first the 55" LM7600, which had terrible flashlighting and clouding, then I upgraded to the 55" LM8600 which the first one would reboot and reset every 10 Minutes and had bad flashlighting in the upper right corner. I got it replaced again from Amazon for another, and it to had horrible flashlighting and clouding and I also had issues with connecting to wifi. Amazon then starting warning me of returning to many tv's. I insisted they are defective. For $1800+ they better perform better than what I received.
I eventually gave up on LG and got the new Toshiba 55" 55L6200U (it's dual core). This tv beats those LG's hands down.. The 2d picture is better, The passive 3d from my experience is also much better, no flashlighting and best of all I got it on sale for $983! Which is just ridiculous for this tv! Yes new! Not refurb or used. Only problem is Toshiba is a little behind with getting a new solid firmware out for the Apps. but I can live with that because the set is just so good. I'm really stunned.
I really wanted to like the LG's as I liked the stand and design, but after getting this new Toshiba< the slim design is just as good.
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Toshiba-47L7200U-LCD-HDTV-Review.htm

You tried a 55" and went with a 47??
Strange....
post #277 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

You tried a 55" and went with a 47??
Strange....

The review is for the 47". He said he bought the 55".
post #278 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 12

As I promised some pictures of my damaged LG. The damaged area on the box is in the same exact spot where the back panel was damaged.

I'm curious to know if any other owners that are experiencing extreme flashlighting also have some damage on the back of their panels?
post #279 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinyhenry View Post

As I promised some pictures of my damaged LG. The damaged area on the box is in the same exact spot where the back panel was damaged.
I'm curious to know if any other owners that are experiencing extreme flashlighting also have some damage on the back of their panels?

That flashlighting would drive me insane.
post #280 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Jchop ,

Thanks for the info , I need your help where you already have the 7200.

Is there a "Freeze" function ? Toshiba`s have always had that , and the exact same model if bought in Canada would have , however I have heard that it is disabled on the US models.

Would you please confirm , thanks. >>link >

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=12535&category=

Look under "Convenience"

Hey brinyhenry,

That is a bummer , I hope you are getting a replacement or money back for damages.

The one that I had looked like that , not the dents but the light leakage , although not as bad but close.
The one I had was cosmetically perfect , NO DAMAGE , but some light leakage.

I really don`t think you can find any LED-LCD TV without at least a little light leakage , however it should not be that bad.

Best of luck guys , I`ll hang around to see where this leads.

Later ,

G. 
post #281 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM

Yes. Freeze function.
post #282 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

brinyhenry,

After looking closer at your pics , I also had light leakage across the top , it looked like a row of dots eek.gif

Not real bad , but there non the less.

I just could not deal with the heat issues , of course I would have it on about >18 hours at a time eek.gif

Like I said , when it come to TV`s , I`m a Power User !!

Later ,

Me 
post #283 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Freeze function.

Really , WOW , many thanks , as I did not see the button on the remote from the pictures on the web , take a look here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05247L7200/Toshiba-47L7200U.html?tp=35862

Look for the picture of the remote close-up and see if it is the same number remote , if you please.

Maybe Toshiba is shipping a different remote ? Is your remote CT-90395 ?

Thanks again ,

Later , smile.gif

G. 

PS:

Don`t meen to Hi-Jack this thread , thanks ( sorry , but thanks biggrin.gif )
post #284 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Please let me know what to test for the arrival of my 55lm8600? I would like to run through all tests while the delivery guy is there so I can refuse it if necessary. What should I immediately check for when I get it in (besides cracks down the middle which I have already encountered)? PS: You guys know how to turn me into a worry wendy with all this negative talk!
Thanks!
post #285 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Vince ,

First look at the box , if A-OK , then let the delivery person go , they really won`t have time for you to set it up. ( I don`t think )

After set-up hit the "Home" button and see how much light leakage you have ( if any ).

Then adjust the set to your liking and wait a few hours and see if the color / contrast / brightness are holding on all channels.

If you find you have to make any adjustment , then you know you have a heat issue , like I did.

That is why I returned mine , it just would not hold initial adjustment.

Best of luck to you.

G. 
post #286 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I went through 3 of these new LG's from Amazon first the 55" LM7600, which had terrible flashlighting and clouding, then I upgraded to the 55" LM8600 which the first one would reboot and reset every 10 Minutes and had bad flashlighting in the upper right corner. I got it replaced again from Amazon for another, and it to had horrible flashlighting and clouding and I also had issues with connecting to wifi. Amazon then starting warning me of returning to many tv's. I insisted they are defective. For $1800+ they better perform better than what I received.
I eventually gave up on LG and got the new Toshiba 55" 55L6200U (it's dual core). This tv beats those LG's hands down.. The 2d picture is better, The passive 3d from my experience is also much better, no flashlighting and best of all I got it on sale for $983! Which is just ridiculous for this tv! Yes new! Not refurb or used. Only problem is Toshiba is a little behind with getting a new solid firmware out for the Apps. but I can live with that because the set is just so good. I'm really stunned.
I really wanted to like the LG's as I liked the stand and design, but after getting this new Toshiba< the slim design is just as good.
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Toshiba-47L7200U-LCD-HDTV-Review.htm

televisioninfo.com gave 47LM6700 score of 9.6, and to Tosiba 47L7200U 8.0
post #287 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hey Vince ,
First look at the box , if A-OK , then let the delivery person go , they really won`t have time for you to set it up. ( I don`t think )
After set-up hit the "Home" button and see how much light leakage you have ( if any ).
Then adjust the set to your liking and wait a few hours and see if the color / contrast / brightness are holding on all channels.
If you find you have to make any adjustment , then you know you have a heat issue , like I did.
That is why I returned mine , it just would not hold initial adjustment.
Best of luck to you.
G. 

If you get from Amazon they will set it up for you and make sure everything is ok, unless you tell them you refuse the white glove delivery.
post #288 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Ya, and I bought the toshiba 55" led 3d from amazon for $983 shipped. having owned both I can say the toshiba has a better picture and black levels and no soap opera motion like the lgs can also get. And the 3d is just as good if not better. Like that review said the smart tv stuff is a little lacking but that is in no way a deal breaker and it eill be improved with more firmware updates. If u can get the toshiba for less than $1500 u r getting a good deal. If u can get it for $983 as I did compared to the
Cost of the Problomatic Lg's its a steal!
post #289 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Jchop ,

Can you please tell me if the back of your Toshiba is metal or plastic ?

Also what model did you get the 6200 or the 7200 ?

What about the "Freeze" function , do you have it ?

Many thanks , smile.gif

G. 
post #290 of 1386 Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Jchop ,
Can you please tell me if the back of your Toshiba is metal or plastic ?
Also what model did you get the 6200 or the 7200 ?
What about the "Freeze" function , do you have it ?
Many thanks , smile.gif
G. 

Just to clarify the back is plastic, and I have the 55" L6200U the remote does not have freeze function; however that is weird as it's listed as having it.
post #291 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify the back is plastic, and I have the 55" L6200U the remote does not have freeze function; however that is weird as it's listed as having it.

Thanks for the reply , I`m happy to hear that it is plastic . may sound weird but the plastic will absorb the heat and then dissipate it where as a metal back may sound like better construction , but it will retain the heat longer exasperating any heat issues that may already exists .

Also , yes it is strange about the freeze function where the Canadian models have it for both the 6200 and 7200 , but they also include a different model number remote. I was wondering if last years 515U or 610U remote that does have the "Freeze" button would work ???

O__well , thanks again smile.gif

Take care , later !

Me. 
post #292 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Really , WOW , many thanks , as I did not see the button on the remote from the pictures on the web , take a look here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05247L7200/Toshiba-47L7200U.html?tp=35862
Look for the picture of the remote close-up and see if it is the same number remote , if you please.
Maybe Toshiba is shipping a different remote ? Is your remote CT-90395 ?
Thanks again ,
Later , smile.gif
G. 
PS:
Don`t meen to Hi-Jack this thread , thanks ( sorry , but thanks biggrin.gif )

My pics were talking during the daytime and don't even remotely demonstrate the degree of flashlighting and clouding I was getting in a darkened room. I was even seeing multiple colors in the upper left corner of flashlighting, almost like someone was pressing on the panel.
post #293 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaken75 View Post

I get it home and begin watching a DVD. within an hour, the TV rebooted itself. I switch over to watching TV after the movie. Same problem (a reboot)- TV goes to Life is good screen, then goes back to TV all on its own, a reboot.
This happens over several days - regardless of input. I call LG, they say the TV is DOA and to get a new one. SO I go back to the store, get a new one. This TV does the same thing - so that is 2 TV's now. I move to a new apartment in a different section of the city, TV does the same thing (so it's not a problem with the power) and the new apartment uses a different cable company and different decoder, so it's not that - and like I said, it is source independent (brand new LG Blu-ray player with brand new HDMI expensive cable). I call LG again, and they think it's the main board. So they sent out a tech and they replaced the main board.
I get off the phone with LG, and 30 minutes later, while watching TV, the TV resets. So this new main board didn't fix the problem.
I paid a small fortune for this TV - I shouldn't have to deal with reboots all the time. The media server thing aside (as that can be blamed on the app) a TV just shouldn't do this. Its not my sources, it's not my power, its the TV, and for what I paid, I just shouldn't have to deal
with that.
Quote:

I'm in the same boat gone through two 55LM8600 with Amazon first one rebooted restarted power cycled like once an hour sometimes 3 times an hour. The second one I got has been a lot better maybe once an hour or once every two hours. I rigged a fan behind the hottest point, it still rebooted not sure if the dual core ship is overheating or if it's a bug in the firmware but this TV is being picked up by Amazon today.

post #294 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ben12345

Well I received my 555LM8600 today and am somewhat disappointed. I purchased an HDMI splitter so I could connect the 8600 to my Directv system along with my current Samsung HDTV (it is about two years old). I wanted a side by side comparison which is hard to do in the store. So I had both TVs side by side with the same picture at the same time so this was a direct comparison. So the results are the Samsung is much brighter and sharper. You can see this in anything white and in the letters on the screen. Just looking at the screen guide on the Samsung the letters are bright while. On the LG they are a dull white. Keep in mind my Samsung is two years old so I had hoped a new LG would at least be equal.
I can't compare 3D but the 3D picture on the 8600 looks very good.
This is actually what I had seen in other posts, that the 3D was very good on the LGs but the PQ was not as good as the Samsungs which seems to be the case. So I will be returning this one to Amazon and will probably replace it with the Samsung ES7100.

could you possible film it and post it on youtube, it will help a lot of us in decision making

Here a copy of photos comparing the Samsung 8500 (3 Years old) wall mounted compared to the LM8600 sitting on the floor.

post #295 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Here is another photo.

post #296 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes , that is bad , I would not keep the LG after looking at your pic`s.

Also I feel kind of guilty in a way for mentioning the heat problem , but at the same time I`m glad I was able to inform you of this.

All the firmware in the world is NOT going to solve the heat related issues that plague the LG 8600 series.

It could be a dual core heat problem , I`m not sure to be honest.

I really feel bad for you guy`s having to go through this but please send them back while you can.

I my case , I`m back to my KDL-40XBR2 , doesn`t heat up , and I can run it all day ( sometimes I have ) and the picture just gets better.

It is really too bad the Sony had to drop out of the TV biz , although maybe not completely , but in a diminished capacity.

I still want to look , in person , at the Panasonic 47" WT50 and the Toshiba 47" 7200 , if neither of those are a go , then I`ll wait for OLED.

Maybe not as an early adopter , but if nothing this year , maybe LG will change the design and next year will be better.
There is not much LG can do right now except cancel the 8600 all together and they won`t do that , not with the 9600 being only in a 55" size.
47" is a sweet spot for many people.

I can see them ending the line early and maybe try to introduce a new model by the fall , but I`m not holding my breath.

It really is too bad , as when it was cold , my 8600 was perfect aside from light leakage that I could deal with , but dropping out of white balance was just to much.

All my best to you guy`s , and I`m still going to monitor this thread for awhile.

Take care ,

Gary 
post #297 of 1386 Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, unfortunately I must say I'm off to Samsung land myself. I had a real issue with the local dimming and the blacks. I couldn't get the blacks dark enough without local dimming, but local dimming causes terrible haloing. It's been real, it's been fun, but it ain't been real fun! HA!
post #298 of 1386 Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
As it turns out , there is more wrong with LM series than just simple "flash-lighting" and "backlight-bleeds " , those you can compensate for , but the real problem involves a heat issue that could only be resolved in future models.
No firmware up-date would fix this issue.

Heat issues may be a cause for concern even for those not having reboots. Maybe apples to oranges, but had an Onkyo receiver a few years back that ran "hot".
It was near the top of their product line and cooked itself to death in less than four years. Onkyo became notorious for this problem.

Feeling how warm this set gets around the vents is disturbing and may bode ill for its lifespan.
Last big Toshiba CRT worked perfectly for 17 years, have a 13 incher still going @ 26.
Don't see this goldstar going the the distance.
post #299 of 1386 Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM

I agree. These LG LM series are a design mess. I'm sure there may have been a few that have snuck through with no problems. however the Odds of getting one with picture, flashlighting issues, or overheating issues is greater and not worth this risk, as I went through 3 new ones and each one had significant issues.

I'm done with LG until they can have a more solid track record of performance with their sets.
post #300 of 1386 Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
I sure am glad I got a perfect 55" in this model. I have not had one single issue that would cause me....even remotely, to consider sending it back. I have no heat issues at all. I have not had one reboot, ever. My set looks and operates beautifully. I do have flash lighting, as do all edge-lit LED tvs. The picture is better than my 55" Aquos with cathode.

Some factors:
My set-up is below grade. I have little outside light in the room. I have it on a wall mounted arm and the set has plenty of airflow around it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page