Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1386 Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would say somewhere in between. It does have a non-reflective glass covering the panel but it's not too reflective. I have a well "daylit" living room and I haven't really had any issues with reflections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1386 Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilla Ice View Post

Hey Forsaken75, have you been using Plex Media Server? It seems that may be the culprit causing all our rebooting woes. Please let us know if You have been using Plex. Thanks!

Ok so this is weird. I finally got tired of the 8600 reboots, so i returned the TV and went to a different store. They didn't have any 8600's, but they had a LM670T, which had all the same features (minus wifi and the magic remote) for a ton less money, so despite my bad experience with the LG's, I decided to go for it, and use the extra money I saved to get a surround sound setup :-)

Anyway, I turned the TV on the next day at 8:30am and had no reboots all day long, so was feeling pretty happy. Then around 7pm, I watched something via Plex. It of course froze/rebooted during the show I was watching, but I didn't really care about that, as I always have figured it was a transcoding or streaming issue.

Anyway, we finished our shows and went back to regular TV. About an hour later, I got my first reboot.

I sat there thinking about it for a while, and decided to google "Plex media server causing reboots on LG tv" and this thread popped up, and lo and behold, uninstalling plex seems to have solved the issue?
Im stunned. I am going to try uninstalling it tonight and see how it goes tomorrow, and im going to cross my fingers that this indeed fixes the issue. It seems to me that having a brand new tv with no reboots being on all day, and then watching a plex streamed show, and afterwords while on regular tv having my first reboot with it, is just way to coincidental.

So yes, I do have Plex installed, and given what i have read and my experience, I am really thinking it is the problem!

I will watch tv for a few days and see if I have any more reboots and let everyone know!
post #453 of 1386 Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow736 View Post

Anyone use their LG Magic remote software in the App Store lately? Seems like they enabled live TV viewing on the phone it's pretty cool.

Does this display whatever is on the TV screen or is it limited to the TV tuner only? For example, will it stream a blu ray to my mobile device?
post #454 of 1386 Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Hi all

First time poster and a new reader but thought this was the best place to get some help (before dragging myself over to LG support). I recently picked up the 55LM8600 and there is one really annoying issue which is spoiling an otherwise wonderful T.V experience. This problem only ever comes up when watching 3d Blu Ray movies. There is a slight but noticeable lag in the video output, so the sound is coming out slightly before the image. When the words aren't matching somebody's mouth it's really noticeable. My setup is as follows:

LG 55LM8600
Sony PS3 160gb (brand new)
Sony STR-DH520 receiver (brand new)
7.1 Speaker setup.
All connected through new high-speed HDMI cables

I have tried to delay the audio output in the receiver through the A/V sync function, but the delay time can only be set to 60ms which is not enough. The only method which has 'kinda' worked was to set the T.V. to game mode, which fixed the lip-syncing, BUT it is causing the 3d image to show up funny (could it be something to do with the image refresh rate..it's like the 3d image is bleeding into each other). I've read that having to process HD 3d images is putting TVs under more strain nowadays to process the image and that is why T.Vs and receivers have a A/V sync function, but nothing I've tried so far has worked.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Thanks! And apologies if this query has come up before.
post #455 of 1386 Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post

Hi all
First time poster and a new reader but thought this was the best place to get some help (before dragging myself over to LG support). I recently picked up the 55LM8600 and there is one really annoying issue which is spoiling an otherwise wonderful T.V experience. This problem only ever comes up when watching 3d Blu Ray movies. There is a slight but noticeable lag in the video output, so the sound is coming out slightly before the image. When the words aren't matching somebody's mouth it's really noticeable. My setup is as follows:
LG 55LM8600
Sony PS3 160gb (brand new)
Sony STR-DH520 receiver (brand new)
7.1 Speaker setup.
All connected through new high-speed HDMI cables
I have tried to delay the audio output in the receiver through the A/V sync function, but the delay time can only be set to 60ms which is not enough. The only method which has 'kinda' worked was to set the T.V. to game mode, which fixed the lip-syncing, BUT it is causing the 3d image to show up funny (could it be something to do with the image refresh rate..it's like the 3d image is bleeding into each other). I've read that having to process HD 3d images is putting TVs under more strain nowadays to process the image and that is why T.Vs and receivers have a A/V sync function, but nothing I've tried so far has worked.
Has anyone got any advice on this? Thanks! And apologies if this query has come up before.

I also have this television and use my Oppo 93 for 3D viewing and I have never observed any sync issues. I'm wondering if the PS3 in your chain is causing the issue. I know it is capable of 3D however it's not truly HDMI 1.4 compliant, and it is older technology being pushed to its limits. Because of this I could definitely see it causing some issues on certain setups. Before you give up on the television I would maybe try a newer 3D capable player for 3D playback. You'll also get to enjoy lossless audio watching 3D to boot wink.gif
post #456 of 1386 Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaken75 View Post

Ok so this is weird. I finally got tired of the 8600 reboots, so i returned the TV and went to a different store. They didn't have any 8600's, but they had a LM670T, which had all the same features (minus wifi and the magic remote) for a ton less money, so despite my bad experience with the LG's, I decided to go for it, and use the extra money I saved to get a surround sound setup :-)
Anyway, I turned the TV on the next day at 8:30am and had no reboots all day long, so was feeling pretty happy. Then around 7pm, I watched something via Plex. It of course froze/rebooted during the show I was watching, but I didn't really care about that, as I always have figured it was a transcoding or streaming issue.
Anyway, we finished our shows and went back to regular TV. About an hour later, I got my first reboot.
I sat there thinking about it for a while, and decided to google "Plex media server causing reboots on LG tv" and this thread popped up, and lo and behold, uninstalling plex seems to have solved the issue?
Im stunned. I am going to try uninstalling it tonight and see how it goes tomorrow, and im going to cross my fingers that this indeed fixes the issue. It seems to me that having a brand new tv with no reboots being on all day, and then watching a plex streamed show, and afterwords while on regular tv having my first reboot with it, is just way to coincidental.
So yes, I do have Plex installed, and given what i have read and my experience, I am really thinking it is the problem!
I will watch tv for a few days and see if I have any more reboots and let everyone know!

No reboots so far after un-installing Plex! I can't believe that was the problem this whole time. Wow.

So now the question is, what to use instead of Plex? I saw WIndows Media center suggested. Someone has also suggested xbmc? Any thoughts?
post #457 of 1386 Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaken75 View Post

No reboots so far after un-installing Plex! I can't believe that was the problem this whole time. Wow.
So now the question is, what to use instead of Plex? I saw WIndows Media center suggested. Someone has also suggested xbmc? Any thoughts?

Same here! Once I uninstalled Plex, I have had no reboots.

I use Windows Media Player, not Windows Media Center. Windows Media Player works flawlessly! If you have Windows 7, I highly recommend you use it. Make sure to open Windows Media Player, go to Stream > More Streaming Options..., and allow access to all the devices you wish to access your files from. Otherwise your TV will not be able to access your files because it will be blocked.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dan
post #458 of 1386 Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinyhenry View Post

I also have this television and use my Oppo 93 for 3D viewing and I have never observed any sync issues. I'm wondering if the PS3 in your chain is causing the issue. I know it is capable of 3D however it's not truly HDMI 1.4 compliant, and it is older technology being pushed to its limits. Because of this I could definitely see it causing some issues on certain setups. Before you give up on the television I would maybe try a newer 3D capable player for 3D playback. You'll also get to enjoy lossless audio watching 3D to boot wink.gif

Thanks for your suggestion. I went out and bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT220GN Blu ray player...and the problem still remains frown.gif

I've e-mailed LG support to see what they can do.
post #459 of 1386 Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Ok... So this is really weird... I was watching TV and out of nowhere everything turned to a shade of purple. I changed the channel and is remained a shade of purpe. I turned the TV off and back on and everything went back to normal. Anyone else experience anything like this with their LM8600?
post #460 of 1386 Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone use their LG Magic remote software in the App Store lately? Seems like they enabled live TV viewing on the phone it's pretty cool.

Does this work if you are using a Comcast DVR box? Does it display what is on the screen?

Thanks,

Frank
post #461 of 1386 Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Will a couple of people that have Netflix be kind enough to check out one section in the Woody Allen documentary via their Netflix app on their 8600? It occurs 7 minutes and 30 seconds into part 1 during the pan of the Brooklyn billboard. Please tell me if you experience NO judder, BARELY NOTICEABLE judder or VERY NOTICEABLE judder. I own the 7600 and get VERY NOTICEABLE judder during that scene.

Now I realize some say judder is affected by source material, streaming speed and other things, but I’m wondering if all things being equal, if the 8600 exhibits less judder than the 7600.

Please also include your approximate streaming speed if possible. Thanks for your willingness to do the test and reporting the results!
post #462 of 1386 Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 AM

Eventhough I haven't watched the scene you are referring to, I wouldn't be too concerned regarding programming on Netflix. Periodically I have run into a few films streamed with judder using my PS3 and Philips LCD. Dumb movie, but Roller Boogie in HD is one that comes to mind. There is judder throughout the movie. It's the source. smile.gif
post #463 of 1386 Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

Quote:
Does this work if you are using a Comcast DVR box? Does it display what is on the screen?
Thanks,
Frank

Waiting for an answer on this too
post #464 of 1386 Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have tried and the LG magic app only displays NTSC tuner video.. not HDMI sources (tried my Directv DVR)

I am trying to get Widi to work with my laptop but can't get it working; I connect to the laptop via wifi, but when I try to initalize the Widi, it asks on TV if I want to accept; I say yes, says connected then disconnected almost immediately; Am I missing something? Has anyone gotten Widi working??
post #465 of 1386 Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post

I am trying to get Widi to work with my laptop but can't get it working; I connect to the laptop via wifi, but when I try to initalize the Widi, it asks on TV if I want to accept; I say yes, says connected then disconnected almost immediately; Am I missing something? Has anyone gotten Widi working??

I got the same result when I tried Widi before, It connects but immediately disconnects. Tested using hp envy laptop.
post #466 of 1386 Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Can any of the people who have had both the 7600 and 8600 confirm or deny if the stands are the EXACT same. I have an 8600 being delivered and a 7600 that I'm returning to LG. I'm trying to get the delivery guy to give me a hand with setting it up to make sure all is good before I send it back and I'm trying to eliminate a little bit of time by not having to assemble the stand and just being able to attach my old one to the new set
post #467 of 1386 Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM

Does anyone here encounter a problem wherein the wifi connection disconnects after 30 (minutes more or less)?

I have the 47", when I turn on the tv, it connects properly to my home wifi automatically. And while watching netflix, it stops after 30mins and I can't watch anything. Upon checking, I noticed that my network connection is disconnected. I have to turn off/turn on the tv 2x or 3x, and then it will connect again automatically. And after 30 minutes, it's disconnected again.

I tried connecting using wired, and there's no issue, the problem is when using wireless only.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
post #468 of 1386 Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talijay View Post

Does anyone here encounter a problem wherein the wifi connection disconnects after 30
I would stay away from WiFi for a streaming connection if you can possibly avoid it. Too much potential for interference. Go with wired if you can.

Do you have the ability to debug your WiFi connection? Have you done a scan to see if there are any nearby networks that could be interfering? Any Bluetooth devices nearby? Microwave ovens or old cordless phones? Do you live in an apartment building or condo with potential nearby devices?

I did a TV installation for a client in an apartment building and checked out the situation for using Wifi on his LG TV. I did a scan and there were over 10 networks that I could receive in his living room, some with pretty strong signals. There was absolutely no clear bandwidth to fit his Wifi router into. I told him I'm going to have to run a cable across his carpet and he was ok with that. Kept it against the baseboards and behind the furniture.
post #469 of 1386 Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarner View Post

Do you have the ability to debug your WiFi connection? Have you done a scan to see if there are any nearby networks that could be interfering? Any Bluetooth devices nearby? Microwave ovens or old cordless phones? Do you live in an apartment building or condo with potential nearby devices?

I live in an apartment building, and the tv can see about 6 signals, 3 strong signals. We have 2 iphones with bluetooth enabled. A microwave, about 30ft away from the tv. My router was initially far from the tv, about 30ft, so I moved it near the tv, and is now about 4ft near the tv, but it still disconnects. My other devices (laptop, iphones, ipad, wireless printer) does not disconnect with the router. I also tried turning off all my devices and only the tv was connected to the router, but the problem still persist.

Here's another info I forgot to mention. When the tv's wifi connection disconnects and I go to the network settings, the screen where it scans the available wifi connection does not appear. The 1st screen that shows is saying "Connect to your wired or wireless network." and when I click the Start Connection button, I get the 2nd screen saying: "To connect to the network, check the connection status of LAN cable or AP.". When I click the Try Again button, I go back to the 1st screen again. It's like the tv does not have a built in internal wifi. Below are the screenshots.

Those two are the only screen showing in the network settings whenever my wifi connection disconnects. The only way to make it work again is to turn off/turn on the tv 2x or 3x, and then wifi reconnects automatically again with my home wifi (and then disconnects again after some minutes).

I also noticed that the wifi connection disconnects faster when the tv is turned on longer (when the tv has warmed up).
post #470 of 1386 Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Weeks ago, I wrote about an issue I felt was important about this TV. I thought maybe it was over looked. I thought it was quite strange that there was no video adjustments when streaming from usb or wifi sources. The biggest dislike for me was that there was no way to shut off Trumotion, which was default to on. My way around the issue was to stream through my bluray play....which I could adjust, because it is plugged into an input.

I don't know if the setting options was something I was over looking, or if it was added in the firmware update, but the adjustments are there and they work as one would expect. The options to set video and sound, appear at the bottom of the screen in the bar that has the Play, Pause buttons, when steaming.
If someone would bother to check sometime, what I would really like to know, is, was this option always there, and I just missed it, or is it new with the firmware update.

If you have the older firmware, stream a video from your PC...take a look if the OPTIONS button appears at the bottom of the TV when you see the Play button.

boxo
post #471 of 1386 Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 PM

I noticed that disabling DLNA on the Plex Server fixes the reboot problems. Had smooth playback ever since.
post #472 of 1386 Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 PM

I received my 55lm8600 from newegg yesterday. The driver that came did not speak English so I wasnt really able to communicate with him very well that I wanted to set up the tv and check it out for bleeding. I look it over for physical damage and saw none (i apparently overlooked a couple of "dents") in the back. I am again plagued with bleeding and flashlighting on this set. Turning on local dimming is actually worse for of an option because while it "erases" the bleed and clouding, the issue everyone is talking about with the halo following the cursor does the same thing in the letterbox when watching tv. I bought a cheap "under cabinet" light to see if maybe some ambient lighting would help and it really seemed to, but not completely. My question is, is this something to expect from all IPS panels? Has LG always used IPS panels? My low end Sony in my bedroom (46ex720) does not even have local dimming and the panel is flawless in comparison to the LGs I have had. For the record I have had 2 LG 7600's and one panel was replaced on one of them. I do not recall if the replaced panel was in better or worse shape than the others.

I would like some advice please as the following are my options:

Return to newegg and get the Sony 55HX750 ONLY IF the Sony does not have an IPS panel

Make service call to LG and have them swap out the panel

Deal with the TV as is and invest in a good ambient lighting kit.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

UPDATE: I now have audio sync issues with my home theater. This was never present before. I think I may have to go back to Sony. Maybe pay the difference and go up to the HX850. The only advantage the LG has is being passive and as much as I do watch 3d, I would rather suffer through the discomfort of the heavier glasses than compromise everything that I am having to compromise with this set. It sucks because I REALLY wanted to stick with LG and their customer service for me has been top notch. I just cannot keep doing this. Maybe I can try one more set from Newegg before jumping ship back to Sony. I may just call LG directly and try to speak with someone higher up in customer service since this is about the 4th or 5th set I have had. Is it confirmed that if local dimming is on and a vertical "band" follows the cursor than that is a problem with the set? I know my 7600s never had this even with the local dimming turned up to medium and even high.
post #473 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 AM

Here's my story. (I'm not a video- or audiophile by any means.)

I ordered the 55LM8600 from Adorama in mid-May. I got a great deal...or so I thought...$1799 for the TV, no tax, no shipping. I heard that some of the sets were having bleeding issues, but I decided to gamble. The TV arrived a week or so later, but since my TV stand was getting built, and I didn't have any place to put it, I kept it boxed up. A couple days before the 30-day return window passed, I opened it up, plugged it in, and watched it for a few minutes. My room is pretty brightly lit, and I tested the TV during the middle of the day, and I didn't notice any bleeding.

Fast-forward a few days later, after the return window passed. I got smart and turned on the TV at night. And, lo and behold, the was quite a bit of bleeding from the edges. I popped in a copy of Bolt 3D and noticed that the audio sounded way off on parts of the video. The sound would alternately get loud and quiet. I plugged in the TV to a receiver and external speakers, and didn't hear the issue. Just to make sure, I used a different Blu-ray player and got the same weird audio issues when the player was hooked up directly to the TV.

I got a hold of a very nice LG support person who sent out a technician the next week. This guy had absolutely no clue what he was talking about and he nearly broke the TV trying to turn it around to get the serial number; he said he'd be back in a week to get a new main board. I called LG back and asked for someone else; they said they'd send out someone from one of their third-party technicians.

Fast-forward a week later, and the guy came out. He said the screen looked pretty bad, and the audio sounded bad too, so he'd replace the screen and the main board in a week. A week later (last week) he came by and replaced both parts. It looks like the new screen got rid of the corner bleeding, but I just noticed a few new things:

1. When I view the screen at any sort of side angle, and the Blu-ray logo is floating around the screen, I notice a band of light that goes all the way up the screen, starting from the bottom. This band is about 6-8 inches wide. It only happens on the right side.

2. I watched Inception and noticed that in some parts, there was a bit of blurring or pixelation. Not sure "pixelation" is the right word, but that's best how I can describe it. Parts of the screen would suddenly look like they were being censored. Very small parts, but noticeable.

3. The audio issues on Bolt and This Is It still persisted.

So far, I haven't had any reboot or heating issues. The picture looks great, but I'm obviously having issues still. Anyone experience the same or similar issues? I'm going to contact LG again and see what I can do. I'll keep you updated.
post #474 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I don't know if this was posted or not but I did the software update 03.01.50 last night and this morning clicked on software update in the settings menu and there was another 04.02.84. Took the update no problem.
Can use the Magic remote with the DVR and also have a Logitech keyboard with touchpad, the K400 and everything works. Just sign out of your account and sign back in to accept new terms, also changed the TV name back to factory. There are a few other things but all seems to work well. I got this 47LM8600 from Adorama for $1149 no shipping or tax and love it.
post #475 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELMS View Post

I don't know if this was posted or not but I did the software update 03.01.50 last night and this morning clicked on software update in the settings menu and there was another 04.02.84. Took the update no problem.
Can use the Magic remote with the DVR and also have a Logitech keyboard with touchpad, the K400 and everything works. Just sign out of your account and sign back in to accept new terms, also changed the TV name back to factory. There are a few other things but all seems to work well. I got this 47LM8600 from Adorama for $1149 no shipping or tax and love it.

Are you able to use k400 in apps like youtube n netflix. M able to use it in browser and that too for typing d touchpad is not working. Do i need to do some setting in tv deactivating magic remote.. i believe the pointer of magic remote is taking first preference and hence touchpad is not working. M just download new software 04.02.84..
post #476 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Yes after upgrading it seems I can use the K400, Magic Remote or my DVR remote and it all works including the touchpad. I signed into Youtube and went to Netflix with no problems. Make sure you sign in and out of your LG account so it accepts the new terms policy, and restart the TV. Was on the computer chat last night and the tech said the touchpad wouldn't work but it is working, she also couldn't tell me how to do that other update, that's how I found this site and followed the directions on page 15, forgot the name but THANK YOU!

This is so much better having the keyboard and touchpad. Noticed also the 3D settings grays out if you have 3D off but turns back on when 3D is in use.
post #477 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:

Really? The website still lists 3.01.50 as the current firmware.
I will check for an update during lunch.
post #478 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM

If you have this update 03.01.50 then go to the HOME button and SETTINGS and click on the software update under the SUPPORT tab. Took a little while to download but it works better than yesterday. This is not a USB update.
post #479 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Do you live in the United States?
post #480 of 1386 Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM

yes, FLORIDA
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page