Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1381 Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Maybe I would need to see them side by side, but in sitting here watching the Knicks game, with TrueMotion off, and I'm not seeing any of the blurring or trails during fast action that thought I was supposed to be seeing in an LCD. It's handing motion well.

Glad you're enjoying the TV, I went from a Panny too. (which I loved but was on it's last legs) Try watching sports with tru motion on, it looks amazing to me. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1381 Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 10
Question, can you rename input settings, if so, how do yo do it?

Thanks.
post #813 of 1381 Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the 55LM8600 has less screen glare then the 55LM9600 (which to me has a lot)?

Thanks,

Frank
post #814 of 1381 Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

Does anyone know if the 55LM8600 has less screen glare then the 55LM9600 (which to me has a lot)?
Thanks,
Frank
Looked around a bit, and it seems the LM9600 is slightly more reflective than the LM7600/LM8600, which (I believe) share the same screen. I read this in a review from PCWorld Australia;

"The coating of the LCD screen on the LG LM7600 is moderately reflective, so if you’ve got a bright light like a window without curtains directly in front of the TV, you’ll be able to see its reflection quite clearly. It doesn’t have quite the same mirror finish as older premium LED TVs, and is slightly less reflective than the high-end LG LM9600."

I'm finding the LM8600 is somewhat reflective, though the reflections are darkened and looked diffused so I'm not having too much trouble with it. The filter does a pretty good job. It is slightly annoying to see myself and objects around my room during very dark scenes, but nothing major. I would imagine it would be a problem if you have were to have a source of light that can shine anywhere directly on the screen though, as in the quote above.
post #815 of 1381 Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM

I bought the 55LM8600 TV last week, over all I like it so far, except an annoying problem. I am connecting my Vizio Sound Bar (VSB) through the Audio Optical out from the TV, I have set the sound mode to PCM in TV.
For some reason the sound gets "muted" for a quick second, every few minutes. Rest of the time the audio is good and clear. I tried to diagnose which one could cause the problem by connecting the VSB to my PS3 using optical out, it works fine no issues. I changed the audio cable still no luck. If I play the audio using the TV speakers it works fine no issues. I wonder whether my TV Audio out has any problem, can any one had such issue? any idea pls. Thanks in Advance for your time.
post #816 of 1381 Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwz View Post

I bought the 55LM8600 TV last week, over all I like it so far, except an annoying problem. I am connecting my Vizio Sound Bar (VSB) through the Audio Optical out from the TV, I have set the sound mode to PCM in TV.
For some reason the sound gets "muted" for a quick second, every few minutes. Rest of the time the audio is good and clear. I tried to diagnose which one could cause the problem by connecting the VSB to my PS3 using optical out, it works fine no issues. I changed the audio cable still no luck. If I play the audio using the TV speakers it works fine no issues. I wonder whether my TV Audio out has any problem, can any one had such issue? any idea pls. Thanks in Advance for your time.

If it's the 215 I recommend using HDMI 1 which supports ARC, it works perfectly for me.
post #817 of 1381 Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

OK LG tech just left for the 4th time. Kept swapping out the main board to get the LOGO light to go off. Today they brought a brand new board it had software 03.XX.XX on it. (others had hours on them already, don't figure) and it is in the software and LG has not been aware of it until I called. Got software update 04.20.18 ( with the tech here) and it takes away the standby light but the damn LG logo is OFF, yeah for my team! Bugged the hell out of the tech also. TV is working fine. Hopefully they fix it in future updates. It still says in the balloon hint that saying you can adjust when off or when on it will come on for 10 minutes on dim setting which also doesn't work. Now it just stays off!

I posted this on page 23: 11/8/12

With firmware 04.20.18 does the LG logo light stay dim or does it turn off after 10 minutes? Mine stays on and it's driving me crazy. I go to turn it off and it goes off but when I hit close it comes on dim. Any suggestions?

Now it works with this version and it is off, I don't get it.

Just figured I give an update about the LG logo light if anyone cares!

this is on a 47LM8600-UC -USA
post #818 of 1381 Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycjc View Post

If it's the 215 I recommend using HDMI 1 which supports ARC, it works perfectly for me.

Sorry not sure what you meant by 215. My Visio Sound Bar is VSB200, it doesnt take HDMI unfortunately. With the tests I did, if I connect the sound bar to other devices (PS3) using optical audio I am not having this intermediate mute problems. Only when I connect it with the TV. In my TV I am connecting with PCM setting. I believe this sound bar takes only PCM, so ideally it should work but it doesn't. This audio issue is very annoying to say the least.
post #819 of 1381 Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Rexian or other on the group. Can anyone grab a pic of your settings for Tool Option 2?

I messed up my values on my 55LM8600 and do not now how to get things working properly again. I think the 7600 would be the same.

Here are the issues:
If I change the top number, others change (incluning backlight type)
If I change any other factors, the top stays the same and just changes the single line.
Now the input options for HDMI are just grayed out.

By the way firmware 4.20.18

-Been hacking for years but always leave breadcrumbs...not this time and now I am paying the piper.
post #820 of 1381 Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM

I got Tool Option2 41026

video adc 2

audio adc 1

backlight type edg_led

localdim menu 1

47lm8600 here

with new 0 hrs board on it but I used 10 hrs since yesterday!

same software 04.20.18

I would think these would be factory settings but not sure
post #821 of 1381 Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks clems. It worked. Guess the size models work the same.
post #822 of 1381 Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM

you got it no problem, I been dealing with the techs and the guy brought my old board back and I told him so. That was Thursday and what I posted didn't work. Got a call Friday morn he was coming back. New board started with 03.XX.XX and updated 2 times with tech here and showed him the differences. LG needs to know about this but glad it worked for you!
post #823 of 1381 Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 AM

Dear ALL,

I plan to buy LG47LM8600 which made in USA but as you know it's made for digital signal but my country is still using analog signal, please advise me this 8600 can support for analog signal or not? otherwise I have to find a converter analog to digital.

thanks and best regards,

binbin
post #824 of 1381 Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin93 View Post

Dear ALL,
I plan to buy LG47LM8600 which made in USA but as you know it's made for digital signal but my country is still using analog signal, please advise me this 8600 can support for analog signal or not? otherwise I have to find a converter analog to digital.
thanks and best regards,
binbin

US models' analog tuners will only tune NTSC standard, which is/was used in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan. Just about everywhere else uses PAL. What country are you in?

Steve S.
post #825 of 1381 Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

US models' analog tuners will only tune NTSC standard, which is/was used in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan. Just about everywhere else uses PAL. What country are you in?

thanks for your reply, my country is Vietnam. please help to check it is suitable or not.

thanks again

binbin
post #826 of 1381 Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

I watched some Tv last night. Something with black bars on the side. I can clearly see the top left corner bleed. Not as much as the 7600 though. Now I really like this Tv. I don't plan on return it. Maybe swap it out. What bothers me the most is on the PS3. In the menu I can clearly see color washed out it sucks I don't want to go through the trouble of swapping it out. On another note. When I first turned on the Tv. It flickered like to get signal and there was a white vertical line. It did go away but should I be concerned
post #827 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM

New Firmware is available! I already updated however I dont see any significant changes.
post #828 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Bought this TV.... and so far.... love this TV!!! Nothing that has been described here has happened to me. I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same tv. This TV is awesome!! Has 4 HDMI inputs and as many USBs. The 2D to 3D function is awesome and it really works. The picture is truly cinematic and it feels like I'm in a small room theater (I got the 47"). I can't figure out what you all are complaining about.... smile.gif
post #829 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Liked: 15
I think for the most of us, we are not complaining, just trying to perfect. Most people on here tend to tinker, and like to get the most out of their unit. I doubt you'd ever find anyone who is 100% happy with their unit as it came out of the box. Most people tend to tinker til its the best they can get. 90% happy is pretty bloody happy! 100% is impossible (or some people have lower standards than others).
post #830 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Can anyone comment on the delay? I'm thinking about picking this TV up in January, and I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it - let me know!
post #831 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Can anyone comment on the delay? I'm thinking about picking this TV up in January, and I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it - let me know!
post #832 of 1381 Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM

"Can anyone comment on the delay? I'm thinking about picking this TV up in January, and I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it - let me know!"

I've had a 55LM8600 for over a week now thanks to Microcenter. I was looking for an LED over a Plasma, even though the PQ is superior on the later (the GT50 was my second choice). The TV has excellent aspects but there's still some negatives to it (like the edge lit bleed). If I had paid top dollar I might feel I overpaid, but at the end of the day the pluses out way the minuses.

If you're going to use this for gaming though I think you might be disappointed. There is an immense amount of lag that I've so far been unable to get rid of. I have a PS3 and games are near unplayable, particularly if you use 3D. It's puzzling since LG even advertises COD BO II 3D on its website. I haven't tried Dual Play yet but I can't imagine it's going to work any better with it on.

Pros:
1. Smart TV functions. More than you can count and they actually work. Performance is quick and so far no freezing or rebooting. A browser, 3D apps, games, Netflix, etc. It has it all and more.
2. DNLA support. I'm using PLEX media server and after a long setup process 1080p .mkv movies stream seamlessly, even over wireless. I've tried to get both of my PS3's to stream and they continually error out. I have to add the wireless performance this TV is better than most of the other devices I own.
3. HD PQ. Blu ray's look great along with HD TV and steaming. This is really the TV's strong point along with the 3D.
4. 3D. As has been mentioned here before the 3D is very easy on the eyes. It's so easy you forget your aware of it, which is I guess the point. The quality is excellent but I will say it's dependent on the source. Bad transfers will have crosstalk whereas better ones won't. What's also nice is the passive 3D glasses from the movie theater will work with this TV too. It's a cheap way to add a lot of glasses.
5. Black levels. It's no Plasma but it has pretty good blacks for an LED. For reference sake I own a Pro-111FD Kuro.
5. Magic remote. It's takes some getting used to but it really helps navigate the web functions with some ease. I would recommend getting the regular remote for normal use though. The magic remote can be cumbersome for basic viewing.
6. The design. The TV is very thin and not too heavy and the thin bezel is really attractive.
7. Calibration settings. If you know what you're doing this TV has it all. Greyscale, CMS, Gamma, onboard filters (blue, red & green) etc. That's great because the out of box color is all over the place.

Cons
1. Flashlighting and screen uniformity. I've been able to get rid of most of it using local dimming but it's still visible at the top corners. The local dimming also hides shadow detail so it's a bit of a trade off. This may be the single biggest disappointment of the TV and others like it.. I can't for the life of me understand why edge lit TV's are being sold like this. At this point in the game it feels like a step back from CCFL LCD's. Just unacceptable.
2. Color. Although the color does pop, it's way out of spec and screams for a professional calibration.
3. It has a soft image. Although 1080p sources look good with some softness, SD sources look way to over processed and soft. In addition the TV is uncompromising in showing flaws, so the combination can really do damage to poor source material. I've turned off almost every setting and calibrated the sharpness but it's had very little effect. This and the edge bleed are it's two biggest weakness's when it comes to PQ.
4. Game lag. No luck so far in sorting it out. I've noticed there's a delay in audio when I have two TV's turned to the same channel that isn't present on my other TV's. Even with most settings turned off. There's just a lot of processing going on with this TV and bottom line FPSs are almost unplayable. I haven't given up on it, but so far I haven't found a work around.

Observations.
1 Although I was worried about screen glare it's not very noticeable. The screen is sort off semi gloss, somewhere between a matte screen and a glossy Samsung. It's really a non factor.
2. The LG logo won't turn off. It's a minor bug but still a distraction..
post #833 of 1381 Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM

SauceXX have you tried using game mode? I also noticed a lot of lag until I switched over to game mode and it made a world of difference
post #834 of 1381 Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM

SauceXX,

How did you get your LG to play .MKV content? When I surf over to my computer's movie folders, they don't even show up. Only .avi or mp4 content.

One other thing, maybe you can help with. I have successfully played movies with .avi & .mp4 formats on mine. Works great. However, now it can't seem to find any new movies added to my PC. Let me explain, I have a networked laptop with several movies stored in the "My Videos" folders. I downloaded a few new movies (.mp4 format) and when I browse those folders over the TV, the new movies are not showing there. They exist on the laptop, I know they are there! I "surf" for them by going to the Input List on my LG tv and select the Laptop where my movies are stored.

Sorry if I haven't explained this well, but any help you can give would be very much appreciated!

Rick
post #835 of 1381 Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodenjin View Post

SauceXX have you tried using game mode? I also noticed a lot of lag until I switched over to game mode and it made a world of difference

It definitely helps but some lag remains. I'm still working on it but it's my lowest priority right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post

SauceXX,
How did you get your LG to play .MKV content? When I surf over to my computer's movie folders, they don't even show up. Only .avi or mp4 content.
One other thing, maybe you can help with. I have successfully played movies with .avi & .mp4 formats on mine. Works great. However, now it can't seem to find any new movies added to my PC. Let me explain, I have a networked laptop with several movies stored in the "My Videos" folders. I downloaded a few new movies (.mp4 format) and when I browse those folders over the TV, the new movies are not showing there. They exist on the laptop, I know they are there! I "surf" for them by going to the Input List on my LG tv and select the Laptop where my movies are stored.
Sorry if I haven't explained this well, but any help you can give would be very much appreciated!
Rick

What you need to have on your laptop is a media server, and then you'll have to configure it to see your video files. I'm guessing you're using windows media player, which although can be tweaked to play .mkv files will not stream them. I use Plex which has a native app on the LG. You can also try PS3 media server or XMBC among others. Also the LG wont playback DTS so you'll need to configure the media server to send stereo for files that have a DTS audio tracks.

It takes some work to get it all configured, and the .mkv format doesn't have much in the way of controls for chapters etc. But I get a 1080p streamed video and right now I'm happy with that.
post #836 of 1381 Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Interesting, I use windows media player to stream .mkv files to my 55LM8600 with no issues.

As far as Plex goes, it gave me (and many others on here) some really annoying reboot issues. Just an FYI in case you run into that problem.
post #837 of 1381 Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 AM

Liked: 11
I have a macbook pro computer - I connect it to the lm8600 via HDMI then i just play a video

Most players work , with mkv i use mostly MPlayerX

Players i use are VLC - Movist - quicktime - m player x

I just highlight the video file on the desktop and play it.

I don't search for the computer or file on the tv but play it on the computer and it plays it on the tv.

If i connect a HD to the tv then i search for that on the tv and play it.
post #838 of 1381 Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM

New software update 4.31.30 downloading/updating now... if I see any big changes I will let everyone know.
post #839 of 1381 Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Please let us know if after your update if the LG logo light stays on when the TV is on, Thanks.
post #840 of 1381 Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM

I updated but didn't see any changes to note. Never had a problem with the LG light so I can't comment on that. Watching Batman Rises on Vudu and it looks awesome. (HDX)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page