Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the passive 3D, crisp colors, and sleek design. The only things missing that would be nice are HDMI passthrough and Zoom option when playing videos on its built in media player. Other than that, its an awesome TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post

Has anyone been able to get HDMI passthrough working (specifically Dolby Digital 5.1 from an HDMI source to the optical output) in any form for any version of firmware/service menu settings for an 8600?
I've enabled AC3 via Tool Option 7/EDID_type in the "EZ Adjust" service menu, and toggled the Sound Settings/Digital Sound Out setting back and forth between PCM and Auto to no avail.
I also cannot find any option anywhere in the "EZ Adjust" service menu to set a firmware location server or anything related to "NSU" or "NSU Mode".
I'm currently on firmware version 4.31.30.
Am i missing a menu/submenu somewhere?
Any help/assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated.

i would like to learn about this too. smile.gif
post #903 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:

Has anyone been able to get HDMI passthrough working (specifically Dolby Digital 5.1 from an HDMI source to the optical output) in any form for any version of firmware/service menu settings for an 8600?
I've enabled AC3 via Tool Option 7/EDID_type in the "EZ Adjust" service menu, and toggled the Sound Settings/Digital Sound Out setting back and forth between PCM and Auto to no avail.
I also cannot find any option anywhere in the "EZ Adjust" service menu to set a firmware location server or anything related to "NSU" or "NSU Mode".

I have passthrough working (DD 5.1), via the optical, with my Xbox 360. It does not work with my DirecTV.
post #904 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

I have passthrough working (DD 5.1), via the optical, with my Xbox 360. It does not work with my DirecTV.

do you access the ez adjust using a harmony remote? is there a different way to access that menu?
post #905 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahmt21 View Post

do you access the ez adjust using a harmony remote? is there a different way to access that menu?

I use my directTV remote.
post #906 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Borox your using component cables on a digital display... that's like buying a sports car and using moonshine instead of gas...haha.
post #907 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Borox your using component cables on a digital display... that's like buying a sports car and using moonshine instead of gas...haha.

I completely understand that. I do not wish to use component cables and if I can find a lag-free way to use the HDMI, I will go that direction, but I have found so far that the component produces the least amount of input lag while gaming. Tonight, I will switch to a HDMI in input3 to see if that makes a difference, as someone mentioned on here.
post #908 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I completely understand that. I do not wish to use component cables and if I can find a lag-free way to use the HDMI, I will go that direction, but I have found so far that the component produces the least amount of input lag while gaming. Tonight, I will switch to a HDMI in input3 to see if that makes a difference, as someone mentioned on here.

Yes it was me that mentioned it, I really hope you lots of success, as I can't explain how can this amazing TV disappoint in gaming lag...waiting for your feedback...I've ordered the TV already and if I fail to enjoy gameplay I will exchange with Samsung ES7000 but would definitely miss the LG.
post #909 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What firmware version are you using, and what settings have you changed?

You mentioned you are in "engineering mode", which means you somehow found the "NSU" option, but i cannot locate it anywhere in EZ Adjust. How does one change the NSU option/get it into engineering mode?

Neither my TW Cisco 8742HDC, XBox 360, or Sony BDP-S570 are able to get DD through the TV unmolested, so the fact that you are able to get the 360 DD is a good sign, however, you clearly are in engineering mode with the "NSU option" which i cannot locate.

I use a Harmony remote to access the EZ Adjust menu (FYI Jonah). Again, is there some other menu/mode I am missing where the "NSU option" is located, and if so, how do i enter/access it?

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance/information.
post #910 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You mentioned you are in "engineering mode", which means you somehow found the "NSU" option, but i cannot locate it anywhere in EZ Adjust. How does one change the NSU option/get it into engineering mode?
Neither my TW Cisco 8742HDC, XBox 360, or Sony BDP-S570 are able to get DD through the TV unmolested, so the fact that you are able to get the 360 DD is a good sign, however, you clearly are in engineering mode with the "NSU option" which i cannot locate.
I use a Harmony remote to access the EZ Adjust menu (FYI Jonah). Again, is there some other menu/mode I am missing where the "NSU option" is located, and if so, how do i enter/access it?

It's in the instart menu. System 2 which I think is number 5, then number 9. Engineering mode. That's it....the current eng mode firmware is the same as the released firmware.

DTS needs to be enabled in the EZ menu.
post #911 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD007 View Post

Yes it was me that mentioned it, I really hope you lots of success, as I can't explain how can this amazing TV disappoint in gaming lag...waiting for your feedback...I've ordered the TV already and if I fail to enjoy gameplay I will exchange with Samsung ES7000 but would definitely miss the LG.

HDMI3 made no difference for me.

Here is some more info:

I have 50' HDMI cables. That length makes no difference either. I tried a 3' cable...no difference.

I did find however, that I can use the HDMI instead of the component cable...they must have tweaked something in the firmware updates.

Now, for how I test for the lag.....
I have been using either Batman: Arkham Asylum, or The newest Ghost Recon game. I only test in campaign mode.

Today, I used GR. I use crouch......tap the B button twice rapidly, which would result in a crouch and a stand......when I finish my rapid double tap, the character starts to crouch then I watch as he finishes by standing. If I do the same test in Black Ops 2, the actions are simultaneous with the button tap.

For me, GR is unplayable online because by the time my character fires the shot that I triggered a split second ago, I am already dead.
ASD007 likes this.
post #912 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post

I know this may not be the right thread to ask but I need some help on deciding if I should return my Samsung UN46EH6000 (46") for an LG 50LS4000 (50").
The Samsung is great except for two big things: The poor off-angle viewing and the automatic brightness that's on every picture mode except movie mode.
I've already dimmed the backlight as much as I can to help the off-angle viewing and the TV is always in movie mode with the eco sensors off. I've been to countless forums and have most likely done every combination of settings possible and I still don't like the PQ on movie mode and can't stand the constant changing of brightness on any other mode.
Does anyone have the LG 50LS4000? Will I have the same problems I'm having with the Samsung or other ones that will drive me nuts?
I have a budget of $700-$750 maximum and just want great PQ without it looking bad.
I'd like to know soon since my receipt from Target will expire the beginning of February. The sale on the LG only runs until Saturday (1/5) and I want to get this problem solved so I can finally enjoy my movies in peace!
Your help is much appreciated.
I have a 50ls4000 its a mess. I've been trying to calibrate using a new c3 meter. The greyscale is horrible out of the box anything above 60IRE had no red at all even on warm. The graph it dropped to the bottom like the stock market crash of 1929. It was bad on sight and what drove me to buy a meter. The cms is a mess I can't get a decent color calibration on yet but I don't have the time to mess with it much.

ÂI felt that here at last was a chance to expose the U.S. public to fine art at reasonable pricesÂ
post #913 of 1385 Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's in the instart menu. System 2 which I think is number 5, then number 9. Engineering mode. That's it....the current eng mode firmware is the same as the released firmware.

DTS needs to be enabled in the EZ menu.

Finally got the In-Start menu programmed into my Harmomy, went in, changed it into engineering mode, changed to developer server, got a new firmware 4.32.11, installed it, went to EZ Adjust, changed to DTS (had it set to AC3 - not sure why this would enable DD since AC3 is DD), toggled Digital Sound Out to PCM and back to Auto...and..still PCM. Checked Xbox 360, Cisco 8742, Sony BDP-S570 (all which work perfectly fine) and still just PCM.

I find it curious that your Xbox is outputting DD/AC3 (it doesnt support DTS output) through the TV set to DTS and being received as DD/AC3 at your receiver somehow. Are you sure you are getting DD/AC3 (certainly not DTS) output to your receiver from your Xbox 360+TV and not some simulated surround mode applied by your receiver?

Also, considering you are using Component to connect your Xbox to your TV (due to your game lag issues), how exactly are you then passing through HDMI audio if you arent using HDMI from the Xbox?
post #914 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:

Here is some more info:
I have 50' HDMI cables. That length makes no difference either. I tried a 3' cable...no difference.
I did find however, that I can use the HDMI instead of the component cable...they must have tweaked something in the firmware updates.
I have been using either Batman: Arkham Asylum, or The newest Ghost Recon game. I only test in campaign mode.
Today, I used GR. I use crouch......tap the B button twice rapidly, which would result in a crouch and a stand......when I finish my rapid double tap, the character starts to crouch then I watch as he finishes by standing. If I do the same test in Black Ops 2, the actions are simultaneous with the button tap.
For me, GR is unplayable online because by the time my character fires the shot that I triggered a split second ago, I am already dead.

OK, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Whats surprising is that the lag does not affect all games but seems Black Ops 2 is not bad, I hope in 3D too. I will just wait until my order arrives, hookup the TV, update firmware, check basic TV functions then all related gaming lag tests with Xbox and PS3 - with Black Ops 2, Halo 4 and most latest releases. If all goes well including 3D gaming, TV stays, if not then further testing and checking this forum...I'll keep the TV as much as I can.
post #915 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Here is some more info:

Yeah that's really odd. I think to the untrained person it's actually not noticeable. I've been playing Far Cry 3 on 360, and so far I haven't had any sort of lag. Or if there is, I'm not seeing it. BTW, beautiful game to play on this TV smile.gif
post #916 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Has anyone compared the 47LM8600 to any of the Samsung ES7XXX or 8 series? On the Samsung forums most people say the Samsung picture is better (colors and brightness) and better motion but Samsung Hub is crap very slow and LG is way better, any thoughts? Some also report some gaming lag too on the Samsung. I have ordered both and will compare side by side and report my results
post #917 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You should read through the 7600 thread....and the other LG LM series TV threads. The functionalities are all similar and the tweaks in the instart and EZ service menus are also.
I found the answers by searching the 7600 thread for "DTS".
post #918 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Has anyone compared the 47LM8600 to any of the Samsung ES7XXX or 8 series? On the Samsung forums most people say the Samsung picture is better (colors and brightness) and better motion but Samsung Hub is crap very slow and LG is way better, any thoughts?

I would totally disagree. You should go to Sears and compare them side by side.

I could not get the pictures to match, but they both had a very nice appeal to them...the first thing that struck me though was the LG had a better viewing angle. I didn't even compare the features until after I bought it. The price made it a no-brainer for me. Especially after looking at them side by side.
post #919 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Finally got the In-Start menu programmed into my Harmomy, went in, changed it into engineering mode, changed to developer server, got a new firmware 4.32.11, installed it, went to EZ Adjust, changed to DTS (had it set to AC3 - not sure why this would enable DD since AC3 is DD), toggled Digital Sound Out to PCM and back to Auto...and..still PCM. Checked Xbox 360, Cisco 8742, Sony BDP-S570 (all which work perfectly fine) and still just PCM.
I find it curious that your Xbox is outputting DD/AC3 (it doesnt support DTS output) through the TV set to DTS and being received as DD/AC3 at your receiver somehow. Are you sure you are getting DD/AC3 (certainly not DTS) output to your receiver from your Xbox 360+TV and not some simulated surround mode applied by your receiver?
Also, considering you are using Component to connect your Xbox to your TV (due to your game lag issues), how exactly are you then passing through HDMI audio if you arent using HDMI from the Xbox?

So, I did some more testing and I am confused and wonder if LG even knows what this TV is capable of...

Anyway, I have my XBOX 360 plugged into HDMI3(HDMI1 is the ARC)
I have my sound setting to AUTO. Not PCM.
I can turn ARC off or on, with the same results.
I have an optical cable running out from the TV to my audio receiver.
I do not have any audio cables coming out of the xbox, only the HDMI to the TV.
My audio receiver is getting DD 5.1 when I am on input HDMI3(xbox) it is not getting a DTS signal.

I have the DirecTV receiver on HDMI1(the ARC input)
I only get stereo, whether I select PCM or Auto, and whether I turn ARC on or off.

If I run the DirecTV receiver directly to the audio receiver I get DTS just fine....obviously.

My EZ menu on the TV is on DTS.
post #920 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Has anyone compared the 47LM8600 to any of the Samsung ES7XXX or 8 series? On the Samsung forums most people say the Samsung picture is better (colors and brightness) and better motion but Samsung Hub is crap very slow and LG is way better, any thoughts? Some also report some gaming lag too on the Samsung. I have ordered both and will compare side by side and report my results

I've had both sets.... I settled with the es7500.... the LG just had too much flashlighting and I started to noticed vertical noise when the camera panned horizontal, which I've read has something to do with the screen used that works with the 3D.

I really wanted to like the LG, the smart interface and apps were so much better than Samsung, the viewing angle was awesome. I loved the remote too.

The samsung is not without it's own issues.... my last set has horizontal banding that is noticeable on vertical panning shots, lesser of two evils I suppose and to my eye has more of a smoother film like appeal with deeper blacks and better motion control. The LG, to my eye was a tad more sharper...

One other deciding factor to me was difference in build quality... I noticed in three different stores the LG floor models all seemed to have some sort of issue. The samsung just seemed higher quality to me and many store reps told me the percentage of LG sets returned were higher.
post #921 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 15
I would never take what's on display in the store as gospel. It's a know fact that stores tune better the TVs they want to sell more of. For stock and profit reasons.
ASD007 likes this.
post #922 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Agree, signal, settings, and cabling plus old firmwares all affect picture quality and proper judgement
post #923 of 1385 Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJu5to View Post

I would never take what's on display in the store as gospel. It's a know fact that stores tune better the TVs they want to sell more of. For stock and profit reasons.

I would never come to an LG thread or Samsung thread and ask which is better, but I would certainly want to see the TV in person.smile.gif
post #924 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 AM

has anyone tried the LG AN-VC400 Skype camera with this model?
post #925 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mine's been doing the reboot thing again on an irregular basis. Annoying.

post #926 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post

Mine's been doing the reboot thing again on an irregular basis. Annoying.

Are you using Plex?
post #927 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro23 View Post

has anyone tried the LG AN-VC400 Skype camera with this model?

Yes, I have it.

Image Quality and sound/ mics are good and the Skype app UI and use are decent.

The camera supports gestures-control for the TV (volume/ channel up and down) but it only works with broadcast TV (which I don't use = haven't been able test)

It's small and light and stays in place with the help a built-in magnet.

Let me know if you have any questions.
post #928 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Are you using Plex?

PLex are working on an update. imminent. Otherwise you'll need to go back to an older version. Mentioned here. A thread ive literally refreshed every few hours waiting for the bloody fix.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54343-lg-tv-rebooting/
post #929 of 1385 Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM

I also have the LG AN-VC400 Skype. It was thrown in with the TV. Not sure if I would have forked out $120AUS for it otherwise.

I wouldn't says its amazing. It is handy having the fam around the tele, rather than a laptop trying to talk to relos O/S. Infact would have been nice if it was built into the tele. Like the imacs. A nice to have, rather than a need to have imo.
post #930 of 1385 Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Those of you with the MediaLink/Plex TV reboot issues, Plex has just realised a server update which fixes it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page