Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1381 Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker99z View Post

I've been lazy have had this tv, and keep seeing people posting about streaming from their computer to the tv. Now how is that exactly done? Do you like link/sync up the tv? I did see some option on the tv telling me to go a website to register the comp or something.

Also I see people are having issues when linking up their comp and tv.

Any good suggestions or recommendations on getting this set up.

Thanks in advanced.

If you want to stream from your computer you will need a server/program do that. Plex is free and seems to be the most popular by far. I use Servio which is also free and I like it a lot. You can use Windows Media Player but I do not like it.
I also have a NAS which I use mostly because it works best for streaming and everyhting I stream is on that. Movies-music-photos.

I would download Plex or Servio and install it on the computer you plan to stream from.
Then you need to go to the files you plan to stream. Music, Photo, Video and make sure that they are set to the share setting and them to the sever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1381 Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD007 View Post

Anybody having the DSE on this model? Anybody tried biased lighting to hide the top left light bleed?

No I haven't, but I am having a little trouble with top bleed.
What is biased lighting??
post #993 of 1381 Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had the tv since last Monday, it has maybe 20 hrs on it. It just shut off today . Unplugged it, nothing.
post #994 of 1381 Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb50 View Post

I have had the tv since last Monday, it has maybe 20 hrs on it. It just shut off today . Unplugged it, nothing.

Okay. Unplug it for several minutes, plug it back in, and then press and hold the power button on the tv for 15 seconds. Wait about thirty seconds and try to turn it on.
If that doesn't work I would call LG customer support and then send it back for a replacement.

My first 8600 arrived with a cracked creen. Aggh but the second one has been good so far...
post #995 of 1381 Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Ok, ill try when i get home from work. Thank you, and i will report back.
post #996 of 1381 Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetrax1 View Post

No I haven't, but I am having a little trouble with top bleed.
What is biased lighting??

Bias lighting? This might help.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1162578/d65-video-bias-lighting-fundamental-theory-and-practice
post #997 of 1381 Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

I use Windows and run into the same problem. When I do run into this, I put the file on a USB, or a portable HD and either plug it into my router usb port, or the TV. It's a pain, but my plan is really to keep my portable HD plugged into my E4200 router...then I do not even need the PC on or awake...

O.K.....I was interested in trying another server, so I installed Plex. It is quite amazing so far and I know it has great features I may not ever use. It is so much more advanced than Windows... I can't help but think about the early days of XBMC on the original Xbox.
post #998 of 1381 Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks boxorox87, I tried installing Plex and LG TV was able to play movies without much issues. I haven't really tried playing with it much. will do in the coming days. I do see that its not playing some of the formats. it does play MKV 3D files without any issues.

Tried TV Varsity Pro earlier, which I used to stream to PS3 couple of years ago. for some reason LG TV didnt even recognise it as a media server.

On another note, I do notice a peculiar issue with my TV which is connected to a Vizio Sound Bar using the optical audio out. Whenever I play a 3D (all the time) and normal movie (sometimes) through USB or even through PLEX, I don't get the audio. Instead I get a 'bicycle tier bust noise'. If I change it to TV speaker it works fine most of the time, but still at times TV speaker doesn't help either. I know for sure the audio is fine in these files. Any body had gone through this issue? I don't recall having this problem in this same model original LG TV which I have to replace for flash lighting issues.
post #999 of 1381 Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker99z View Post

I've been lazy have had this tv, and keep seeing people posting about streaming from their computer to the tv. Now how is that exactly done? Do you like link/sync up the tv? I did see some option on the tv telling me to go a website to register the comp or something.

Also I see people are having issues when linking up their comp and tv.

Any good suggestions or recommendations on getting this set up.

Thanks in advanced.
install plex on your pc, add a folder with all your movies, and then go to your tv, connect to your home network and voilà you can play /stream movies from the folder you selected on your pc-magic!
post #1000 of 1381 Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM

When I installed plex I noticed also that besides plex my pc also showed as a shared device/folder on my tv! Btw this is post #1000 lol :-)
post #1001 of 1381 Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetrax1 View Post

Okay. Unplug it for several minutes, plug it back in, and then press and hold the power button on the tv for 15 seconds. Wait about thirty seconds and try to turn it on.
If that doesn't work I would call LG customer support and then send it back for a replacement.

My first 8600 arrived with a cracked creen. Aggh but the second one has been good so far...
Tried the power button trick but nothing. Called Amazon, they will pick it up next week. God, this is frustrating, spent a long time researching TV's, back to the drawing board.
post #1002 of 1381 Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

O.K.....I was interested in trying another server, so I installed Plex. It is quite amazing so far and I know it has great features I may not ever use. It is so much more advanced than Windows... I can't help but think about the early days of XBMC on the original Xbox.

XBMC & Plex. Same developers from what I understand.
post #1003 of 1381 Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJu5to View Post

XBMC & Plex. Same developers from what I understand.

I installed Serviio and works really well too. On another topic I use the Beam app on my android phone and beam any video on my phone and tablet to the TV smile.gif
post #1004 of 1381 Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM

Hi everyone,
Just got my LM8600, and like many new owners out there, I am getting distracted by noticeable light bleed on dark scenes. Accordingly, I'm thinking of returning the TV and trying to see if the problem exists on a replacement. Of course, if this happens on all screens, then I'm just wasting my time.

Long story short, does anyone have this TV without the light bleed on dark scenes?
post #1005 of 1381 Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 AM

I don't get it at all in movies/TV shows etc. perfect example is the rolling credits at the end of a movie. Black with white type. only seems to appear when screen is in no signal or at input switching etc where the TV settings are not applied to compensate.

Hate to state the obvious here for fear of offending but have you played around with the settings yet?

Granted there seems to be some bad ones floating around on the market with this problem but I also read a lot of people are happy with it. Or perhaps a little more tolerant.

I'd be happy to take a photo of my screen to impress the doubters.
post #1006 of 1381 Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM

The light bleeding is a software problem... not the structure. try this option with the same file:

Using HDMI cable:

set the input name to PC

Picture mode Games
backlight 50-75
contrast 70-85
bright 50-60
sharp 10-25
color 55-70
color temp (i use C50... depends on you)
LED Local Dimming High (this is important)
Black Level (if you put Low set gamma to Low, if you put High set gamma to High)

I use this options to Xbox360 and PS3 (games and movies)

Also you get no Input Lag!!!
MrJu5to and ASD007 like this.
post #1007 of 1381 Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM

So, here's the thing. I have to disable local dimming because it introduces too much banding that I find way to distracting. For example, in Drake's Deception, there's a spinning ring on a black screen that is shown when stuff is loading. If I turn on local dimming, I see this faint white bar above and below the ring. Likewise for credits in the center of the screen, which causes the vertical area above and below the credits to be brighter than the area just to the left and right of the credits. This symptom has also been reported on Amazon, where the little LG magic cursor on a blank screen seems to cause area around the cursor to light up. This sort of thing drives me crazy. I believe this is a symptom of all LED edge lit televisions, as I noticed it on the Samsung ES8000 as well, but I'm no expert.

Here's a rather blurry image of this in action, with the TV hooked up to my PC, a black desktop, and local dimming enabled. (Please note that my camera makes this look blueish and much worse than it actually is, but it's still totally noticeable)

So, that's why I've disabled local dimming. Of course, when I turn it off, I get the clouding around the edges in dark scenes, which I believe is the lesser of two evils. Does this sound familiar or do you believe this is a defective set?

Alternatively, maybe there's another 47" TV out there that has the 3D quality of LG (i.e., no crosstalk) and doesn't have this problem, but I don't think there is one.
post #1008 of 1381 Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 PM

MrJu5to, do you have local dimming enabled? If so, do you see any clouding when you have it disabled? Also, are you familiar with the white "banding" effect (as shown above)?

Gustavo, those are some very nice settings, thanks. I'm using roughly the same settings now, except for the local dimming. Reducing my backlight from 55 to 40 helped a little.
post #1009 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 AM

Local dimming is set to low. If I turn it off the blacks appear grey. There is an ever, so slight, have to really look for it, lighting around the edge of the TV frame. That said its even and all the way around and not concentrated in one particular corner like some people say.

Definately no banding though..

I honestly cannot fault this TV for value, picture and features. Just wish I got the 55 but viewing distance for that would have been borderline too close.

I wonder if place of manufacturing has anything to do with it? A stab in the dark here but I doubt my Aussie TV is manufactured in the same place as the ones from the states...

Any Aussies on here having the flashlight banding issue? I know the firmware we have is way behind the states. Being 4.10.11.
post #1010 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constrapolator View Post

MrJu5to, do you have local dimming enabled? If so, do you see any clouding when you have it disabled? Also, are you familiar with the white "banding" effect (as shown above)?

Gustavo, those are some very nice settings, thanks. I'm using roughly the same settings now, except for the local dimming. Reducing my backlight from 55 to 40 helped a little.

Light bleed is inherent to the set, some have it better some worse but all of them have it.. It's noticeable on my set with letterbox material, but it mostly goes away when local dimming is enabled. I've come to live with it so it doesn't bother me much anymore. But it's the worst aspect of this TV and something in my opinion that shouldn't even be there. It exists because they want to sell us cheaper edge lit TV's.

The halo effect though looks much worse on yours then it does on mine. With local dimming on besides using the motion remote, I have to be in a really dark scene with a light object to even notice it. Unfortunately yet again it's a side effect of edge lit TV's.
post #1011 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM

Despite the appearance of the picture, it's actually rather dark in the room and looks much brighter than it was in the picture, I think just my camera compensating for that. So it's really much less noticeable than shown in the picture. It's probably tolerable when watching movies, but something I wouldn't want when using the PC or playing games.

Speaking of which, do you know of a way to switch the picture mode with the remote or when the input on the ARC-connected receiver changes (Denon 2113CI)?
post #1012 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

So, here's the thing. I have to disable local dimming because it introduces too much banding that I find way to distracting. For example, in Drake's Deception, there's a spinning ring on a black screen that is shown when stuff is loading. If I turn on local dimming, I see this faint white bar above and below the ring. Likewise for credits in the center of the screen, which causes the vertical area above and below the credits to be brighter than the area just to the left and right of the credits. This symptom has also been reported on Amazon, where the little LG magic cursor on a blank screen seems to cause area around the cursor to light up. This sort of thing drives me crazy. I believe this is a symptom of all LED edge lit televisions, as I noticed it on the Samsung ES8000 as well, but I'm no expert.

Here's a rather blurry image of this in action, with the TV hooked up to my PC, a black desktop, and local dimming enabled. (Please note that my camera makes this look blueish and much worse than it actually is, but it's still totally noticeable)

So, that's why I've disabled local dimming. Of course, when I turn it off, I get the clouding around the edges in dark scenes, which I believe is the lesser of two evils. Does this sound familiar or do you believe this is a defective set?

Alternatively, maybe there's another 47" TV out there that has the 3D quality of LG (i.e., no crosstalk) and doesn't have this problem, but I don't think there is one.
I have light bleed but never as bad as yours, even with the exaggerating camera effect. I agree that these defects may exist on all TV sets with varying degrees but some users here say they don't have any light bleed or DSE at all. I ordered a replacement anyway but even if it still has the same issues with a few picture tweaks I can live with it and decide to keep it as its amazing value, best 3D, best Interface and amazing HD picture quality. All TVs have problems. I've been following the forum of the Panasonic GT50 which has been awarded 5 stars and best 2012 tv everywhere but half the forum is complaints from users on picture defects we don't have on the LG. From my experience LG is the best 3D tv experience at the moment hands down, even in other forums LG is always praised for its 3D performance which pop out and other TVs are compared against.
post #1013 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

As for the magic/motion remote im not sure about the halo. I hate the bloody thing to be honest. Im an old school button kinda person. Ive had the telly for a few months now and can navigate around the remote by feeling, so its no real dramas for me. ASD007, you are right, its a bloody good telly. And for the price what can we expect. Is there ever such thing as a perfect one? Really?

The Plex/Medialink feature is what won me over to be honest. 90% of my content I watch is through this method. Absolutely brilliant!

Give it a year or two, we'll all be buying new ones anyway, technology is becoming disposable these days anyway. Long gone are the days where you'll have a TV for 10 or even 5 years.
post #1014 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Oh an as promised here's the telly rolling credits. No spotlighting (local dimming on low).

One pic taken with iphone (flash). The other with iphone (without flash).

The photos are pretty true to real.

post #1015 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM

I got my 55LM8600 for what they're now discounting the 47"'s for. And since I already own a Kuro I didn't want another Plasma even though the picture quality is excellent. If I had paid full price I might be a bit more upset about the edge bleed. As it is I've gotten use to it.

The 3D is very easy on the eyes and works great. The only downside is you lose a bit of the resolution but I doubt most people would even notice. The smart functionality including the DNLA is pretty cool. I'm able to stream my lossless 1080p movies thru wireless. Overall it's a very good TV and I'm ultimately happy with my purchase. But like you mentioned It wont stop me in a few years from upgrading again.
post #1016 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM

That's AMAZING, MrJu5to!

Where'd you get your TV from? I'd pay ridiculous shipping fees if I could get a TV without this problem.
post #1017 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:

That's AMAZING, MrJu5to!

Where'd you get your TV from? I'd pay ridiculous shipping fees if I could get a TV without this problem.

Yeah as you can see the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Id read about the spotlighting a bit before buying it, but when I demo'd it instore and noticed everything they threw at it didnt have the spotlighting I figured, well, looks pretty good to me. So naturally let go of all the other comments I read about it and nabbed me one. I feel sorry for alot of you with the problem, as its not fair I (along with others) are getting near perfect pic, and alot of people are getting intollerable ones. for the exact same product! There is a serious flaw in the LG quality control somehwere IMHO.

Purchased it @ Harvey Norman in Sydney, Australia.

AUD$1299,with the LG Skype Camera thinga-my-bobby and an additional 3Year Warranty (Warranty cost me $99 from memory, but you also got $100 additional store credit - no brainer really). That said, I have been looking everywhere since, and I dont think you can get the 47LM86 here in oz anymore. perhaps superceded by the 9600. which is sweet if mine does go, as my warranty covers straight replacement for same or replacement model.

Shipping was free, I haggled ther eon the spot, got happy with the price, and walked out with it.
post #1018 of 1381 Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM

Well, I'm going to roll the dice and order another set. I'm hoping this is just a numbers game. Fingers crossed!
post #1019 of 1381 Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM

I have the 55" version (since July) and over time as the panel breaks in it does diminish. I know its not just because I'm getting used to it because I still use a 5 year old CFL LCD in my bedroom which isn't edge lit and never had flashlghting. I use it often still and when I go back to my LM8600 I rarely notice it.
post #1020 of 1381 Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Interesting. I thought that only plasmas got broken in. Well, glad to hear this might get better in the long run!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page