Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
First ... 4  5  6 7  8  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG 47LM8600/55LM8600 Owners Thread
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 04:41 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlzfan84 View Post

Hey guys. I am definitely getting this tv, i'll prob order it tonight after work. Question though, whats the best place to order this tv from? i'm a little skeptical of some of these online places with really cheap deals. Eastcoasttvs, powersellernyc, etc. Just wondering where you guys got your deals from and if the buying experience was smooth.

Also has anyone tried the dual gaming on this tv yet?

Amazon , hands down , the very best place to buy a TV

Me 

cow736's Avatar cow736 05:50 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro23 View Post

I dont get the "warm" temp setting some folks are using. To me it looks like a dark orangish film on the screen.
Maybe other settings will clear some of that up.

Ive been using Medium temperature

i totally agree i use medium as well... sometimes i set to Cinema just because that mode has almost all available options like ISF1 or ISF2 but I change temperature to medium in Cinema.
ben12345's Avatar ben12345 06:00 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Yes it there is more !

Aside from Dual-Core , it adds Up-Scaler Plus , Illuminated LG logo ( you can turn off or dim ) A Silver Facia at the bottom of the panel where the logo is and adds a clear plastic strip below that for the status light and the sensor, and it has the Dolby Digital MS10 sound chip , I`m not sure if the 7600 has that or not. The LM7600 has matte silver frame around the panel and the LM8600 has matte black.

The LM7600 has the 3-mode Magic remote and the 8600 has the 4 mode ( speech recognition ).

If you have based your judgment on LG`s comparative chart at LG dot com , it does not tell the whole story.

They are very close , but no cigars

Here is a link to download the specs for the DD-MS10:

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/z...am-Decoder.pdf

I hope this info helps !

Later ,

G. 

Very good information. Thanks.
cow736's Avatar cow736 06:00 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat9090 View Post

why i am not able to access local dimming feature..called LG and the rep is telling me you cannot access local dimming for this model and that sounds bizaare

Anybody please advice..i am getting really bad black and hence thought would play around with local dimming with black levels. Able to access black levels but not local dimming

This is my 55LM8600 maybe LG needs to train their CSR a little better.
LL
cow736's Avatar cow736 06:04 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Hey just wondering if everyone has same firmware mines 03.01.34

yes same firmware
cow736's Avatar cow736 06:09 PM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlzfan84 View Post

Hey guys. I am definitely getting this tv, i'll prob order it tonight after work. Question though, whats the best place to order this tv from? i'm a little skeptical of some of these online places with really cheap deals. Eastcoasttvs, powersellernyc, etc. Just wondering where you guys got your deals from and if the buying experience was smooth.

Also has anyone tried the dual gaming on this tv yet?

definitely Amazon free 30 day return
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 10:20 PM 05-25-2012
Ok guy`s time to give you something to do !!

"Read Me "

My thoughts on the LG - 47LM8600 LED/LCD TV :

Well , where do I start ?

The beginning , nah , I`ll just say that I picked up the LG-47LM8600 for a very good
price and it was purchased at Amazon.com.

So , first things first , Amazon is the place to buy a TV… period !

Price Matching / 30 Return Policy ( sure some have more , but some don`t have any ).

For my 47" delivery was via UPS , and was satisfactory , maybe even A-OK !

Now for the TV itself:

I have found that the styling of the TV to be one of the best I have seen in a long time. Not since the Sony XBR 2 ( squared ) has there been such a unique design.

Operation , well you are pretty much on your own , there is no printed manual and
the e-manual is terrible.

This is a TV you have to mess with , not so much calibrate , just mess with and trial
and error is all you can hope for,

All TV`s are not the same , but it`s a fair bet that you will find if you 0 the Color Temp. using
the Standard setting , you are on the right track and it will be very close to 6500K.

I have listed all my settings , but like I said , all are different even the same model.

I can tell you, take your time and don`t get frustrated , it will be all right.

I will say use any of the non color related settings sparingly.

The sound is surprising , you will never know there are just two little drivers , producing all that sound, In other words don`t buy a "Sound Bar" unless you don`t
have an A/V Receiver or Integrated Amp , I have the vulnerable Yamaha DSP-A1G.
Sure , it`s old and dated , but I`ll match it up against anything out there !

3-D , ok it`s passive and it is fine , for the most part. I have found that the quality of
3-D is more dependent on source , rather than active or passive.
It is after all a "made for home use" deal , nothing more nothing less.
So what did I say ? Yeah it`s good !

The "Up-Scaler Plus" is well, a big plus , SD looks almost like HD , really !

I don`t have "Blu-Ray" only my trusty Pioneer "Elite" DV-79AVi , and it looks pretty
darn good for an older , but better , SD dvd player

LG Service , ok you really don`t want to get me started , but you need to know this.
You call , anytime and talk to a real person who is willing to listen to your question
and then put you on hold while they get an answer from a tech.
I say , "Cut Out The Middle Man".

Now don`t get me started on that "Nintendo Wii" style remote , it is a pain , really.

But !! Don`t send the TV back yet , there is hope.
Turns out the LM7600 in other lands have a regular as well as "Magic Remote"
in the box , and doing some digging and calling LG a few times here is the
part number if you want a " real remote"

LG has confirmed that this remote will work with the LM8600 series.

LG part number: AKB73615313 , and can be ordered from:

http://www.encompassparts.com/

I don`t have that remote , at least not yet , so I can speak for it`s functionality.

I don`t have a wireless router yet , so I can`t say too much about the "Smart TV"
part , but I can say I have "piggy backed" off a local unblocked signal and had a peek , of course the signal was too weak to really do much , but I did use the web
browser and yes you can "Speak" , there will be an icon of a microphone , so
just click on that and say something and "Google" will do it`s thing.

I must admit , I am looking forward to getting a router to see what this puppy can
do with a real signal.

Over all for the price I paid < 1.5 K , it is what it is , you are not going to get say
Sony build quality of 5 or 6 years ago in 2012 , it just isn't going to happen.
Flimsy , yes , but not any more or less than any other TV that is an 1" thick.

My Mac-Mini looks fine , in some all white areas there is some distortion and shading , but it is edge lit .

I am not seeing any leakage in dark areas and no "flash-lighting".

The blacks are as good as a plasma , trust me , you won`t have to worry about that.

I hope this review / notice will help some on the fence and guide others whom
have taken the plunge.

Take care ,

Gary 
HyperC's Avatar HyperC 04:25 AM 05-26-2012
So, I was watching ghost protocol last night and really started to notice...White glow moving around people like when you move the motion remote that white bar...And also bleeding from the top right and top middle and starting to become unhappy with this, plus at the ending in the credits a white glow stripe around the names...WTF gives i got over 160 hrs on this set I'm just get picky? Or is LG just F'in over people these days been reading nothing but problems...Sorry for my rant just been waiting for a great passive 3d set and now seeing problems
boxorox87's Avatar boxorox87 08:39 AM 05-26-2012
So I have an minor gripe. I hate TruMotion for the SOE. Yeah, I always have it turned off. However, I stream much stuff from my PC. I think TruMotion must be on by default when streaming or sharing video. I can't find anyway to change it. I can't find any settings for streaming video.
torres0428's Avatar torres0428 09:43 AM 05-26-2012
buydig.com has the 55LM8600 for $1799.00

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=LG55LM8600
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 10:38 AM 05-26-2012
HyperC,

Make sure that your Tru-Motion is OFF and if that doesn`t fix it check the sharpness and set to less than 20 then make sure your Noise Reduction is set to at least Medium.
That should help.

Boxorox87 ,

On my Mac Mini I can set the Tru-Motion. ( M-M hooked up via HDMI )
How are you streaming HDMI / Live or USB ?
If USB you may not have any choice of settings at all

Best of luck to you both , I hope I have helped.

I am in the same boat and I don`t think it`s the Titanic !!
It`s just that you really have to mess with this tv --- A LOT , to get it even close to being alright.

Color wise I think all can agree that we are A-OK , it`s just all the other settings that are driving you guy`s and me as well a little nuts !!

It`s a real pain and you have to do it blind , just trial & error.

They { LG } should have given a real paper manual to explain all that the settings can do , the e-manual really sux.

Take care , and please post if I was able to help.

Later ,

Gary 
torres0428's Avatar torres0428 11:05 AM 05-26-2012
I tried to see if Amazon priced matched BUYDIG.com price. They refused to do to that buydig charges $49.00 for white glove delivery. So if they priced matched they would need to add the $49, which would bring me to $1 less then what I paid for. Luckily there is a coupon out there that saves $25.00 on buydig. They priced matched that.
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 12:20 PM 05-26-2012
I have found that the price seems to vary quite a bit , don`t really know why.

Here is a list of site that Amazon will price match:

bestbuy.com
bhphotovideo.com
buy.com
buydig.com
cdw.com
circuitcity.com
compusa.com
costco.com
dell.com
electronics-expo.com
frys.com
hhgregg.com
newegg.com
paulstv.com
6ave.com
samsclub.com
sears.com
target.com
tigerdirect.com
us-appliance.com
vanns.com
walmart.com

Again , Amazon will only price match sites listed , not B&M Stores.

Amazon will price match up to 14 days after the TV has shipped , or is in process of shipping. ( FYI )

So , if your TV is less than 14 days old and you bought it from Amazon , you might want to check the list.

So if you find a lower price call Amazon !

Later ,

Me 
Astoria's Avatar Astoria 01:57 PM 05-26-2012
Gary,

Can you inform when you got the remote akb 73615313. Does it realy work for LM8600.
jeffro23's Avatar jeffro23 06:51 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:

So, I was watching ghost protocol last night and really started to notice...White glow moving around people like when you move the motion remote that white bar...And also bleeding from the top right and top middle and starting to become unhappy with this, plus at the ending in the credits a white glow stripe around the names...WTF gives i got over 160 hrs on this set I'm just get picky? Or is LG just F'in over people these days been reading nothing but problems...Sorry for my rant just been waiting for a great passive 3d set and now seeing problems

Yeah thats similar to mine. It was much worse in my 7600.
If theres any white on a black screen you will see some faint glow stripes.
The 7600 didnt do this so Its got to be something with the dimming processing. Its nice to have at least a mostly rich black screen compared to the blotchy 7600 that I guess I dont mind.

Im only seeing one other issue and I hope it can be managed with settings.
I was watching some recorded HD NFL games from last season and noticed that the grass is blurry. Seems to happen in strips like where it was mowed. Is the 8600 having trouble processing such a minute level of detail? Some faces are detailed skin while other have a blur to them. Must be related. Im trying to figure it out. When the camera pans to the sidelines th eplayers are super detailed and the picture looks great, then it goes back to live action and the grass gets blurry. Im not sure if its the source or not, ill keep messing around with sharpness,noise reduction,contrast, etc.

and yeah the VUDU or any other SMartTV app menu looks horrible. Whoever posted a pic earlier was right. the flashlighting is almost exponentially worse during those screens. Not sure why they disallow dimming for those but it looks bad. And its just on the menu screens. Durign movie play it was fine.
Hoping for a software update to address some of these things.
HyperC's Avatar HyperC 08:23 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:

The 7600 didnt do this so Its got to be something with the dimming processing. Its nice to have at least a mostly rich black screen compared to the blotchy 7600 that I guess I dont mind.

I was watching some recorded HD NFL games from last season and noticed that the grass is blurry. Seems to happen in strips like where it was mowed. Is the 8600 having trouble processing such a minute level of detail? Some faces are detailed skin while other have a blur to them. Must be related. Im trying to figure it out. When the camera pans to the sidelines th eplayers are super detailed and the picture looks great, then it goes back to live action and the grass gets blurry. Im not sure if its the source or not, ill keep messing around with sharpness,noise reduction,contrast, etc.

and yeah the VUDU or any other SMartTV app menu looks horrible. Whoever posted a pic earlier was right. the flashlighting is almost exponentially worse during those screens. Not sure why they disallow dimming for those but it looks bad. And its just on the menu screens. Durign movie play it was fine.

While I love the 3d passive, I don't know if i can deal with bleeding corners and people looking like they have a flashlight on their heads...I tried every setting to try and fix it and the only fix i see is backlighting set to 45 which is very dim to me...So do i try another 8600 or just a different brand tv
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 09:53 PM 05-26-2012
Astoria ,

Yes indeed , if and when I get the "normal remote" I will post how it works.

I`m still within my return window , although I will most likely keep my LM8600.
I just wish there was a real manual for the settings.

I`m using a Comcast HD/3D box and it definitely has a C.U.E. bug , that is affecting , my setting a correct white balance. Just another work-around to , well work around.

Still getting varying results from any "Tru-Motion" setting , except "Off" when I use the CB. Live TV or TV using the QAM tuner is much better , but requires a higher color setting than the CB.

I don`t think the LM8600 is buggy , just my CB , and maybe the cables I``m using which are not the proper HDMI rated cables for this TV.

BTW ___ Will you guys please post what HDMI cables you are using ? Thanks

Been looking at a few really flexible ones like :

http://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/s...net-76p291.htm

And these that are out of stock

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I just have to make sure the thickness of the molded housing around the connector itself is = or < 10mm

Monoprice / "RedMere" cables are a-ok , but not in stock , and I`m waiting to hear back from Mediabridge , called but they didn`t have the dimensions and said they would get back to next week.

Also , if you guys can suggest a really good long distance ( at least 100' ) wireless router with excellent wired throughput and wireless throughput without signal loss , I would be most grateful and it would have to work just as good with a Mac as with a PC. , and easy would be a huge plus

Thanks and later

G. 
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 10:18 PM 05-26-2012
HyperC , I`m glad ( sorry ) that you mentioned that about the 3D , I don`t think it`s the decoder , I think it`s the glasses.

I have noticed the exact same thing , some sources being worse than others.

If anyone reading this knows if other "passive 3D glasses" would work, please post , thanks.

They should , I would think.

Here are several better glasses , than the "free" ones LG "gave" us:

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/Pro...000&p=P2M01230

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Glasses.html

At B&H in the overview / 4th paragraph it does state LG as one of the compatible makes of 3D TV`s that will work , I would like to find out !

Just something else to think about , man , this TV is making me tired !! LOL

Later ,

G. 
HyperC's Avatar HyperC 11:04 PM 05-26-2012
jedi, Are you stoned? never said i had problems with 3d i said i love the passive 3d...What i really need to know is do i send this tv back and hope i get a better set without problems or do i just buy a tv from a different brand other than LG
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 11:42 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:

jedi, Are you stoned? never said i had problems with 3d i said i love the passive 3d...What i really need to know is do i send this tv back and hope i get a better set without problems or do i just buy a tv from a different brand other than LG

LOL , I wish

I thought you were talk`n about the messed up 3D on some source material.

Now I read your post more clearly , well if you have really bad light bleeding and a lot of flash-lighting , then you might want to try another one , or another brand.

Here`s the thing , are you seeing these all the time or just during dark scenes.

Here is what I would do , if it is bad all the time , and you have tried everything , then by all means take it back.

I am not getting any light bleeds at all and no flash-lighting , the only lighting issue that I have is during some really bright areas there is some discoloration on the right side , not a bleed or flashlight , just something , but not bad enough. I would have to point it out for someone other than me to even see. Yes I am that picky

I don`t know , you could get worse or better.

Later ,

Me 
Thunderduck's Avatar Thunderduck 08:04 AM 05-27-2012
"Narrow vertical 3D viewing angles;"

The above quote is from the cnet review.

Just how narrow is the vertical viewing angle for both 3D and regular viewing?

I would not be able to wall mount this tv. I will be using a 23" tall a/v cabinet. Also, in order to use my 5 1/2" high center channel speaker, the tv would sit on a 3" tall metal riser. Would something like this take the "sweet spot" out of my viewing angle?

Also, how is the side to side viewing angle with this set?

Thank you for your help.

Steve
aaronwalker1974's Avatar aaronwalker1974 08:56 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:

coming from the 7600 I can agree that the 7600 does have blotchy blacks. Is that a real term? Oh well. The 8600 has much deeper blacks. The local dimming is much better on this set, at least to me. I do have some flashlighting around the edge of the set. I can only see it during letterbox movies in the black bars. I have now tried the 7600, Sharp 835U, and Samsung D8000. I am much happier with this set than any other. I have the set in a basement so 48 backlight works great for me. I do keep some ambient lighting on that elimantes almost all of the flashlighting.
aaronwalker1974's Avatar aaronwalker1974 09:01 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Astoria ,

Yes indeed , if and when I get the "normal remote" I will post how it works.

I`m still within my return window , although I will most likely keep my LM8600.
I just wish there was a real manual for the settings.

I`m using a Comcast HD/3D box and it definitely has a C.U.E. bug , that is affecting , my setting a correct white balance. Just another work-around to , well work around.

Still getting varying results from any "Tru-Motion" setting , except "Off" when I use the CB. Live TV or TV using the QAM tuner is much better , but requires a higher color setting than the CB.

I don`t think the LM8600 is buggy , just my CB , and maybe the cables I``m using which are not the proper HDMI rated cables for this TV.

BTW ___ Will you guys please post what HDMI cables you are using ? Thanks

Been looking at a few really flexible ones like :

http://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/s...net-76p291.htm

And these that are out of stock

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I just have to make sure the thickness of the molded housing around the connector itself is = or < 10mm

Monoprice / "RedMere" cables are a-ok , but not in stock , and I`m waiting to hear back from Mediabridge , called but they didn`t have the dimensions and said they would get back to next week.

Also , if you guys can suggest a really good long distance ( at least 100' ) wireless router with excellent wired throughput and wireless throughput without signal loss , I would be most grateful and it would have to work just as good with a Mac as with a PC. , and easy would be a huge plus

Thanks and later

G. 

Not sure about the hdmi cables, but I am a IT guy and could recommend a router. I have the WNDR3700 made by netgear. It has incredible range. It also can do dual band at the same time. I can stream HD material two floors above my router. I couldn't do that with my last router, Linksys DIR-655.
aaronwalker1974's Avatar aaronwalker1974 09:02 AM 05-27-2012
One other recommendation on this set. Make sure that mpeg noise reduction is off. If you already have it off, try turning it on. You will see why I make that recommendation.
aaronwalker1974's Avatar aaronwalker1974 09:05 AM 05-27-2012
Here are my current settings. Love the picture.

Expert Mode
Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 47
Contrast 85
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 18
Color 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Colour Gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
Color Filter Off
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Black level Low
LED local dimming Low
TruMotion Off
Color temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2
RGB Method 2 point
R high 0
G high 0
B high 0
R low 0
G low 0
B low 0
boxorox87's Avatar boxorox87 09:32 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

So I have an minor gripe. I hate TruMotion for the SOE. Yeah, I always have it turned off. However, I stream much stuff from my PC. I think TruMotion must be on by default when streaming or sharing video. I can't find anyway to change it. I can't find any settings for streaming video.

Not sure how I will solve this when using USB harddrive....But, I did get rid of the SOE by using my Bluray player to read the file through the network. The Bluray runs through HDMI(obviously), so I can turn the Trumotion off for that input off.
Anything read through USB or WIFI lacks video settings, most importantly Trumotion. This has to be an oversight.
mozilla314's Avatar mozilla314 11:04 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:

The white glow around lettering is a result of the local dimming process. I can't stand it so I disable it. Unfortunately, on a lot of LG models, the only way to bypass local dimming is to use "Game" mode which does not use dimming.
I would rather try to get the deepest black levels I can get using my own calibration than use that dimming feature.
aaronwalker1974's Avatar aaronwalker1974 12:11 PM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla314 View Post

The white glow around lettering is a result of the local dimming process. I can't stand it so I disable it. Unfortunately, on a lot of LG models, the only way to bypass local dimming is to use "Game" mode which does not use dimming.
I would rather try to get the deepest black levels I can get using my own calibration than use that dimming feature.

On either of the expert isf settings you can turn off local dimming.
HyperC's Avatar HyperC 01:29 PM 05-27-2012
I'm pretty sure what i am seeing is called halo effect, And if i disable local dimming screen goes white therefore i won't be happy either way...Seems to me LG just failed bad with these panels
jedi29's Avatar jedi29 01:36 PM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

Not sure about the hdmi cables, but I am a IT guy and could recommend a router. I have the WNDR3700 made by netgear. It has incredible range. It also can do dual band at the same time. I can stream HD material two floors above my router. I couldn't do that with my last router, Linksys DIR-655.

Hey aaronwalker1974 ,

Thanks for the recommendation , actually that is on my list and so is the WDRN3800 Premium , I have read that with some routers the older version is better , whats your take on the 3800 as opposed to the Cisco-Linksys EA3500 ?
Or is the 3700 better than both ?

Many thanks ,

Gary 
Tags: Lg , Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony , Blu Ray Players , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
First ... 4  5  6 7  8  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop