VIZIO’s M370SL 37” Class Edge Lit Razor LED™ LCD HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has any one looked at this tv? Can a 720 60 hrtz by anpther brand still be better then this one?

VIZIO M370SL 37” Class Edge Lit Razor LED™ LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps® ............

Specifications:

Screen Size: 37” Class (36.5" Diagonal)
Resolution: 1080p
Colors: 16.7 million
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 200,000:1
Refresh rate: 120Hz SPS
Response Time: 8ms
Ambient Light Sensor
Smooth Motion
Viewable Angle: 178° (horizontal / vertical)
Weight: 22.9 lbs. (w/ stand), 21.4 lbs. (w/ out stand)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 33.9" x 23.6" x 8.2" (w/ stand), 33.9" x 21.5" x 1.9" (w/ out stand)
ENERGY STAR Qualified Energy Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This sounds like an advertisement.

Do you have a specific question?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

This sounds like an advertisement.

Do you have a specific question?

My questions were the first 2 sentences of my thread...

I listed the features for those not familiar with this model...

I am wondering if a similar priced Sony, Samsung or other could beat the performance/picture quality of this tv even though the others would be 720p and or 60hrtz.

Looking for best picture under 500 in 37". For cable, gaming, bluray in that order.
post #4 of 18 Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post

My questions were the first 2 sentences of my thread...

I listed the features for those not familiar with this model...

I am wondering if a similar priced Sony, Samsung or other could beat the performance/picture quality of this tv even though the others would be 720p and or 60hrtz.

Looking for best picture under 500 in 37". For cable, gaming, bluray in that order.

So you are asking if 60hz is better then 120hz? No it is not. Motion can make 60hz blurry.

Are you asking if 720 p better then 1080p? NO it is not.

Read the reviews on Amazon.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

So you are asking if 60hz is better then 120hz? No it is not. Motion can make 60hz blurry.

Are you asking if 720 p better then 1080p? NO it is not.

Read the reviews on Amazon.

I guess what I am really asking is:
Can a high dollar 720p 60 hz tv be a better picture than a cheaper 1080p 120hz?

Is there more to it than just these numbers?
post #6 of 18 Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

ok
post #7 of 18 Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
I bought this Vizio, but have not yet set it up. I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone who has bought this TV as to whether it's a good buy or a throw-away. I got great advice before from AVS Forum when I bought my Panny plasma, so I thought I'd try again.

I wanted to get an LCD-led for a bedroom, either 32-37 screen size. I definitely wanted a 1080p, 120 rather than 60 Hz . I noted that 60 Hz lagged when I was looking at sports. I plan to use the TV for movies, cable, no games. Nice features, but not essential: smart TV with integrated WiFi (Not WiFi-ready) for Netflix. Tried using a Roku for the plasma but it didn't work. And TV should be under $500.

My instinct was to go with Samsung, Panasonic or LG, but price was an issue. I never would have thought of Vizio; however, Costco had this feature-laden Vizio described above for $499 plus extended warranty.

Neither Amazon nor Costco has a large enough buyer response to determine Vizio customer satisfaction. I checked it out at Costco, and the picture quality was quite good and the sound was acceptable. I certainly rate picture quality as my top criterion, but price is important. Also, Costco has an amazing return policy with no restocking fee. The TV sells for a $100 more on Amazon.

So, bottom-line:

1. Is this TV a keeper (based on first-hand knowledge or word-of-mouth)?

2. If not, can you suggest another TV that would be a better choice? I definitely want 1080p, prefer 120 Hz, prefer LED, can be 32 or 37 in. screen, internet apps or 3D optional, moderate viewing angle.

Thanks
post #8 of 18 Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 PM

I have owned mine for a week or two now. See post #53 of this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357660/yamaha-yas-101/30 for comments on its poor sound quality and how to fix it nicely.

The picture on the M370SL is EXQUISITE! Track & field events, soccer games, Olympic trials, a Blu-Ray of "Red Tails" movie, etc, look stunning, with no noticeable blur. Paused videos of city skylines show absolute clarity on windows, door grates, bricks, etc, even on buildings way in the background.

I am BLOWN AWAY by the picture. How long will it last? NO idea! I bought mine at Costco, which gave me two years of warranty, then bought their extra 3-yrs for $30, for a 5-yr. total.

Gregg
post #9 of 18 Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 AM

Liked: 11
Gregg

Thanks for your feedback.

I've finally set up my Vizio. I decided to keep the 37 in and return the 32 in set - bigger is better. I'm using Comcast cable and wireless internet.

Some thoughts on the Vizio:

1. Right out of the box, the tv had a chemical smell. I am extremely sensitive to odors so I noticed it immediately. I'm hoping this will dissipate. My Panny plasma never gave off an odor.

2. The remote needs improvement. In addition, I have to stand fairly close to the tv to have the remote work. Not practical.

3. The sound doesn't compare with my plasma tv. I thought my plasma was supposed to have weak sound, but the Vizio takes the prize. I'll try your suggestions and see if that helps. What kind of setting is Jazz? Classical? Isn't this more appropriate for I-Tunes?

4. Picture is good, not great. I'm still adjusting it - if you have calibrated yours I'd appreciate your settings. The ambient light function is annoying. One moment the screen is light, one moment dark, then light - not great. I turned it off.

5. I'm now testing the Internet Apps, mainly Netflix. I hadn't realized that program selections were limited to those associated with the app rather than all of Netflix. I had wanted to replace viewing movies on my 17 inch screen laptop with streaming on my tv. Is there any way of doing this through the Vizio?

All in all, it's ok. I guess I prefer the plasma picture quality, but they're inefficient and too big for a bedroom. I'll probably keep it since most of the older LCD and LED models of Samsung and LG have sold out. I've not yet finished setting up the Vizio, so I'm keeping an open mind.

How's your Vizio doing?

Joanne

Thanks for
post #10 of 18 Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM

For better Picture, put the brightness on 30 or 24, backlight on 84, contrast on 92, and color on 90 for blue rays and 80 for normal Dvd's and TV. Never have the ambiant sencer on, instead put the adaptive luma always on mediom, and dynamic backlight control on OPC. It's recommended to have it on DCR but color's are a little to dim, and don't have the dum film mode on it does not help HD Cable or Blue Rays. It gives the picture a fake look during fast and special afects ceens. Always have the DNR and MPEG modes off,they are only useful with low grade video and older tec such as a VCR, having them on can mes up your alredy great picture. As for the color temp, keep it on computer, it alsoe means warm, put all the ganes on 238, It brings the extra colors that the main inngin on your TV can Produce. I don't recommend putting the gane up all the way because it will distort your colors. Hope I have been helpful, well enjoy your Visio M370 SL, I know I'm enjoying mine.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM

The new HD TV's today require some spesific settings to make them look great, it may take some time but it's werth it. No 720P will not look better than 1080p, the thing about the tec today,is if you don't learn about what your getting, you can get ript off easy. What the so called pro's don't tell you is that as long as you know about how to work with the HD TV's, you can get some of the cheapest one's to looke just as good and even sometimes better than the most exspensive one's. Remember there just trying to sell you there most popular brands most of the time. Learning about HD TV's is not as difficalt as they make it seam, all you need is a few tips on setting up your TV, and the rest is yours to control. All the Tv's are basicly the same, thay will just have different names for some of the options depending on what brand you buy. Heres a few helpful tips for all TV's, never have your brightness above 40, it causes blering and messes with your black levels, and make sure your DNR, NR and MPEG modes are always off, they can make your HD picture look very poor, and any film modes that are on a 120Hz's or above should be off, that can hert your picture in fast ceens. If you would like more tips please ask. I'm here to give the tips most peaple and companies won't addmit. I grew tired of beeing misled so I educated myself, now when I want to perchus a TV, Computer or sound system, I go in asking the spesific questions about what I want, and that will tell me if the person I'm talking to knows what there doing, because you would be shocked to find out that most of the time, they don't.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreflor View Post

5. I'm now testing the Internet Apps, mainly Netflix. I hadn't realized that program selections were limited to those associated with the app rather than all of Netflix.

So are you saying that the movies and shows available in the Vizio Netflix app is not the complete collection available from say my Roku or online Netflix collection? How are they different 9and WHY?)? And what percent would you say the difference is (i.e. Vizio only displays 25% of entire Netflix collection, etc.)?
post #13 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM

I do not have that problum with net flicks on my Visio M370 Sl, you might have to contact your servous, My AP displays everything on mine. I no wen you first get net flicks they will ask you if you will view net flicks on a TV, computer or game systm, I just put yes for all.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric30 View Post

I do not have that problum with net flicks on my Visio M370 Sl, you might have to contact your servous, My AP displays everything on mine. I no wen you first get net flicks they will ask you if you will view net flicks on a TV, computer or game systm, I just put yes for all.

How about search? Can you search titles from the Vizio app? This seems to be a common limitation on Vizio (and other TV-branded) Netflix apps. They will apparently display your instant queue, recently viewed, etc. but will not let you search from the TV itself. True or false for the M370?
post #15 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantMyHDTV! View Post

I have owned mine for a week or two now. See post #53 of this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357660/yamaha-yas-101/30 for comments on its poor sound quality and how to fix it nicely.
The picture on the M370SL is EXQUISITE! Track & field events, soccer games, Olympic trials, a Blu-Ray of "Red Tails" movie, etc, look stunning, with no noticeable blur. Paused videos of city skylines show absolute clarity on windows, door grates, bricks, etc, even on buildings way in the background.
I am BLOWN AWAY by the picture. How long will it last? NO idea! I bought mine at Costco, which gave me two years of warranty, then bought their extra 3-yrs for $30, for a 5-yr. total.
Gregg

how to fix it nicely.

This is not a fix? It is to buy a sound bar. LOL not a fix
post #16 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM

My net flicks on my visio M370SL is fully capable from my account, I hook my modeom strate in to the eathor net and it runs faster and looks better than on my computer. you should mess around with your remote for the search, The only problum I will have is sometimes my account will not let me access throu my TV but thats not often. I go on Utube and that works well too. If you need any other tips let me know.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone used Youtube on this TV? I have and I have a question. After you search for a video. You get a list that matches the search. It contains 10 videos or so., There is no LOAD more Suggestions like on the computer youtube. Anyway to get more suggestions like on the computer yourube?

I looked and looked and the Vizio tv youtube does not have that option

Also there is no option for relevance. Such as to sort by date. So you see the latest uploads.

Why does the Vizio youtube app miss these features?
post #18 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Is this TV still available anywhere? I am looking for an affordable thin 37 inch tv and this seems to fit the bill. Unfortunately I cannot find it from any reputable sites. I want a new tv, not a refurbished unit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page