What screen cleaner and cloth combo do you recommend? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my 55" Samsung D8000 LCD since October. I would like to find a safe cloth/shammy and cleaner that will wipe off dust, spots, smears, etc.

I was going to order either the Phillips or Monster (best buy) screen cleaner kits until I read some customer reviews that they leave a shiny/oily film on the TV screen that's hard to get off. I'm not sure if that's true.

Once I clean the TV screen, I would like to use the same clothe/shammy by itself once in a while to wipe off dust (without any cleaner).

Thanks,
MKANET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive used Monster. They do not leave streaks or any oils that ive ever seen, in fact they have always cleaned the oils. I have actually used the same cloth and cleaner on alot of tvs and it still cleans. I am not a 100% fan of using the cloth as a duster, I usually use a duster then wipe the tv down.
I have used the Philips one too but not alot. Its been awhile since I used it but it wasnt bad. I perfer Monster though.
All in all most of the cleaners are the same. Everyones experience can be different though. Ive known some ppl who have said the cleaners just leaves a oily film/streak but ive never seen that.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
This question comes up about every three months. Probably the best, and safest cleaner to use on any panel is a clean microfiber cloth dampened with distilled water. You can warm the water if need be. For regular dusting, I use my wife's Swifter Sweeper unscented refills. Works great for dusting off the panel. Just be careful not to press too hard on the panel when you clean it. The commercial cleaners can leave a chemical-like film that may streak. Personally, I'd steer clear of any commercial cleaner and just use distilled water and a good, clean, microfiber cloth.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

This question comes up about every three months. Probably the best, and safest cleaner to use on any panel is a clean microfiber cloth dampened with distilled water. You can warm the water if need be. For regular dusting, I use my wife's Swifter Sweeper unscented refills. Works great for dusting off the panel. Just be careful not to press too hard on the panel when you clean it. The commercial cleaners can leave a chemical-like film that may streak. Personally, I'd steer clear of any commercial cleaner and just use distilled water and a good, clean, microfiber cloth.

Excellent advice.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Ive never had any steak or any type of film on my tvs and ive used cleaners before. I never use any water or any amonia products. A good microfiber cloth like the above poster said should be good for cleaning as for what you should use whether it be distilled water or cleaner is more of a personal choice.
As I said though I would use a duster before cleaning the screen.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Some manufacturers, Sony included, tell you not to use any cleaner with alcohol, so that leaves out most of the commercial cleaners.

Sony recommends what the poster above recommended: cloth with (distilled) water, but water by itself tends not to be a very good glass cleaner.

Someone gave me a bottle of Monster which I've used on my Mac laptop and it works great, but I was a bit afraid to use it on my Sony panel. I'm out of it now anyway and it's very expensive.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

monster cleaner usually varies between $15-$20, and that's very expensive to you? $20 to keep a $500+ Clean without risking damage seems pretty inexpensive to me. How did u afford your tv?

Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Some manufacturers, Sony included, tell you not to use any cleaner with alcohol, so that leaves out most of the commercial cleaners.

Sony recommends what the poster above recommended: cloth with (distilled) water, but water by itself tends not to be a very good glass cleaner.

Someone gave me a bottle of Monster which I've used on my Mac laptop and it works great, but I was a bit afraid to use it on my Sony panel. I'm out of it now anyway and it's very expensive.

I've used Monster on my Mac laptop and it left a smeary residue that I eventually removed with continuous gentle rubbing (which is something I'm not too keen on doing to an LCD panel). Some mfrs use a film on their panels to reduce glare (matte finish) and some cleaners may damage that over time depending on their components. The better commercial cleaners probably not but why chance it? Warm distilled water will take care of most smudges quite nicely unless you have little "peanut butter fingers" in your house touching the lower portion of the panel . In that case a little more aggressive cleaning procedure may be needed. A smokey environment may also require a bit more aggressive cleaning. For us, I rarely have to clean my panel with distilled water and find that a gentle dusting with my wife's Swifter Sweeper Unscented refills quickly and completely takes the dust off of the panel.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Distilled water works fine on all my laptop matte LCD screens. However, I wouldnt want to try it on a polarized high/deep glossy screen like mine.

I dont know what kind damage alcohol does, but it does help the cleaning liquid evaporate instantly without leaving water residue marks. Even the slightest water streak will show on a polarized screen at the right angle. Some people dont mind this, but it's not something someone with OCD (such as myself) would let go. I may go for the Monster Cleaner then.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM

monster/microfiber
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
microfiber cloth dampened with distilled water on ANY type of screen
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Distilled water works fine on all my laptop matte LCD screens. However, I wouldnt want to try it on a polarized high/deep glossy screen like mine.

I dont know what kind damage alcohol does, but it does help the cleaning liquid evaporate instantly without leaving water residue marks. Even the slightest water streak will show on a polarized screen at the right angle. Some people dont mind this, but it's not something someone with OCD (such as myself) would let go. I may go for the Monster Cleaner then.

It's your tv so you can do what you want to with it. But the conventional wisdom is the hands-down, safest, liquid to clean your screen with, regardless of the panel type, is clean, distilled water. There is no way of telling how alcohol-based solvents with react over time to a panel. Besides, how dirty does your tv get that you have to clean it with a commercial, solvent-based product? I've cleaned mine maybe a half-dozen times in a year-and-a-half. All it needs weekly is a light dusting. And yes, water is a solvent/chemical but let's keep it simple.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

microfiber cloth dampened with distilled water on ANY type of screen

Didn't believe it till I tried it. I've used it on an Elite Kuro 151FD & Elite 70x5FD. I'm a firm believer now.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Didn't believe it till I tried it. I've used it on an Elite Kuro 151FD & Elite 70x5FD. I'm a firm believer now.

Your a beleiver !!!! Hey hey hey ;-)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I guess Ill get:
http://www.amazon.com/MagicFiber-Goj...pr_product_top

and distilled water.

If the distilled water leaves water mark due to the polarized surface, I'll probably get this:
http://www.pixelclean.com/product/Pi...aning-Kit.html
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks like a good way to go. You've got your bases covered. Here's to clean screens and clear viewing
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Your a beleiver !!!! Hey hey hey ;-)

LOL hallelujah! Look ma, no streaks!

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

great glad it worked out
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

+1, this is the best approach in most cases

Also, I prefer to just use a dry, soft cloth (after using a duster) whenever possible. This saves a lot of time and avoids any risk of residue or smudging. I only use distilled water when needed.

I have used this before and have ended up spending too much time trying to clean off the residue and smudging left behind. Once you put one of these cleaners on your screen it takes a lot of effort and time to clean it off properly. A duster followed by a dry, soft cloth goes a long way and distilled water can be used when it is not enough.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I guess Ill get:
http://www.amazon.com/MagicFiber-Goj...pr_product_top

and distilled water.

If the distilled water leaves water mark due to the polarized surface, I'll probably get this:
http://www.pixelclean.com/product/Pi...aning-Kit.html

Pixelclean works well, I have used it to remove oily smudges etc. Just make sure you spray it on the micro fiber cloth. . . not the screen. You can also dilute the cleaner a bit with pure distilled water unless you need it full strength. This goes for ANY LCD or plasma screen cleaner. Also, using clean distilled water after using any cleaner will help make sure no residue is left on the screen. Plasma screen with coatings are especially touchy as some have found out.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I don't know why people can't use 'search' and have to start a new thread about screen cleaning (as if their flatscreen is somehow different from any other). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=14
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I don't know why people can't use 'search' and have to start a new thread about screen cleaning (as if their flatscreen is somehow different from any other). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=14

ironically it takes longer to create a new thread and wait for replies then it does to do a quick search and pick one of the many threads available on the subject
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Yep. I've responded in another thread about this but......