LG 84LM9600 84" 4K resolution 3D TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.lg.com/ae/home-entertainm...G-84LM9600.jsp

I am highly anticipating this TV. I hope that it is affordable.


Having 4K resolution is great for multiple reasons that I can think of:
- Full 1080P resolution for each eye in passive 3D
- Awesome for viewing photos from my DSLR camera
- 4K blu-ray ready

3D Depth control sounds cool, especially when used with 2D to 3D conversion since it is already fake to begin with.

I am intrigued by the Dual-Play feature. It is a really neat concept - each player uses a different polarity with their glasses and gets their own screen to look at. Very cool! I don't know what games will work that way, but it's neat.

Not sure about the remote. Hopefully my IR Harmony will still work.

Can't wait!
thorr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

I hope that it is affordable.

Do you define $10K as affordable?
JMCecil is online now  
post #3 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevinmscs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

Do you define $10K as affordable?

+1. Probably more, around $15000 for this one
kevinmscs is offline  
post #4 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yikes, I was thinking more like $6000.
thorr is offline  
post #5 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could not find any reference to 4K resolution or to 2K(1080P) resolution from the link provided for the TV.
walford is offline  
post #6 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Look under Specifications then Picture. It is exactly twice 1920x1080 in both horizontal and vertical. Every other horizontal line is used to make 1080p for each eye.
thorr is offline  
post #7 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
have to agree that I think street will be no less than 10k. This is a halo product right now
Suzook is offline  
post #8 of 118 Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

Do you define $10K as affordable?

While I wouldn't call $10K affordable, it is however in line with what this TV is. It will be (if it's released as promised) the first consumer 4K display. That in itself is huge (not to mention the 84" size), and if it does sell at or close to the unofficial $10K target, for ones serious about buying this TV, this is not unrealistically priced.

If this TV does indeed get released here in the US this year, and is priced at or close to $10K, I'm getting one! Being able to watch 3D Blu-ray's in full 1080p per eye in passive will be awesome!!


Seth
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #9 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

While I wouldn't call $10K affordable, it is however in line with what this TV is. It will be (if it's released as promised) the first consumer 4K display. That in itself is huge (not to mention the 84" size), and if it does sell at or close to the unofficial $10K target, for ones serious about buying this TV, this is not unrealistically priced.

If this TV does indeed get released here in the US this year, and is priced at or close to $10K, I'm getting one! Being able to watch 3D Blu-ray's in full 1080p per eye in passive will be awesome!!


Seth

I was asking a serious question. I would seriously consider this TV for $10k. I would seriously NOT consider this TV for $15K.

My biggest problem right now is that my primary use for TV is football (american). Large screen (60"+) LCD based TVs are awful for watching football. A lot of large screen LCDs are awful for movies also... Sharp 80" haloing .. They look great as long as the camera doesn't pan.

I have an XBR2 70" that is awesome for football, but the optical block is dieing and is really expensive to replace. I could go down to a 65" plasma. But, I'd really like a bigger or same sized set that can deal with panning without making me want to barf.

If this thing can do that, $10k is a deal.
JMCecil is online now  
post #10 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

Look under Specifications then Picture. It is exactly twice 1920x1080 in both horizontal and vertical. Every other horizontal line is used to make 1080p for each eye.

Thank you, I found it. I also noticed that it is listed as a "Discontinued Product "
walford is offline  
post #11 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's not good. I wonder what that is all about.
thorr is offline  
post #12 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

That's not good. I wonder what that is all about.

They got scared of Sharp :-)
Suzook is offline  
post #13 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
rockaway1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone notice Edge Lit in the specs?
rockaway1836 is offline  
post #14 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Newbie
 
searvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone notice the web page says "Discontinued Product"? Disappointing I was considering buying this TV.
searvy is offline  
post #15 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by searvy View Post

Anyone notice the web page says "Discontinued Product"? Disappointing I was considering buying this TV.

Keep in mind that that LG web page is for the United Arab Emirates. Maybe it's been labeled as "Discontinued" because it's no longer planned to be released there, or the page info is not complete yet. LG US still says that it's a go for release this year, so at this point all we can do is wait and hope that it does indeed get released.
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #16 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

LG US still says that it's a go for release this year, so at this point all we can do is wait and hope that it does indeed get released.

And that it doesn't band, stutter, blur and halo every time a camera pans.
JMCecil is online now  
post #17 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm showing a $9999 price tag on this and an october release.

maygit is offline  
post #18 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

I'm showing a $9999 price tag on this and an october release.

That's what I based my $10k initial post from. But, there is no "real" pricing or availability information yet.
JMCecil is online now  
post #19 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Until someone proves an edge lit display of that size, or anything over 60" for that matter, can be be done without uniformity issues (very unlikely) even if it is 4k I'll remain skeptical ...no thanks.
topr is offline  
post #20 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Until someone proves an edge lit display of that size, or anything over 60" for that matter, can be be done without uniformity issues (very unlikely) even if it is 4k I'll remain skeptical ...no thanks.

I thought the 84 was full panel.
JMCecil is online now  
post #21 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

I thought the 84 was full panel.

I've read edge as well
Suzook is offline  
post #22 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can not find it on the LG/US Web site. All the links about it that I checked were about its appearance at CES 2012 last January.
walford is offline  
post #23 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

That's what I based my $10k initial post from. But, there is no "real" pricing or availability information yet.

I c. The good news (or bad news) is that my system originally showed $9999 and an august release date. The price and release date was then removed from our system and only recently came back up at the same price but now an October release date. But, i do agree, that is not official until announced by LG.

I also believe this was to be full array LED IIRC from the notes given on it. I'll recheck tomorrow when i work. The link from post one is confusing because it first says the item is discontinued, and then says it's Nano Full LED on the overview page, but says Edge backlit under the specifications tab.

maygit is offline  
post #24 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I've read edge as well

crap, the site does say edge.

http://www.lg.com/ae/home-entertainm...G-84LM9600.jsp
JMCecil is online now  
post #25 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

I c. The good news (or bad news) is that my system originally showed $9999 and an august release date. The price and release date was then removed from our system and only recently came back up at the same price but now an October release date. But, i do agree, that is not official until announced by LG.

I also believe this was to be full array LED IIRC from the notes given on it. I'll recheck tomorrow when i work. The link from post one is confusing because it first says the item is discontinued, and then says it's Nano Full LED on the overview page, but says Edge backlit under the specifications tab.

Now I recall the argument between the spec and the market blurb. but, it really makes no sense to have this be edge. The flashlight and color shifting would be horrid on a set that size.
JMCecil is online now  
post #26 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

I c. The good news (or bad news) is that my system originally showed $9999 and an august release date. The price and release date was then removed from our system and only recently came back up at the same price but now an October release date. But, i do agree, that is not official until announced by LG.

I also believe this was to be full array LED IIRC from the notes given on it. I'll recheck tomorrow when i work. The link from post one is confusing because it first says the item is discontinued, and then says it's Nano Full LED on the overview page, but says Edge backlit under the specifications tab.

When I contacted LG some weeks ago, they told me it was being introduced in the Sept/Oct time frame. It was going to be 4K and would have local dimming. I didn't ask if it would be full array or edge lit, I should have.


Seth
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #27 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post


When I contacted LG some weeks ago, they told me (3 different customer service reps) it was being introduced in the Sept/Oct time frame. It was going to be 4K and would have local dimming. I didn't ask if it would be full array or edge lit, I should have.

Seth

Quick.....get em back on the line for this weekends lottery numbers!!!! ;-)

Seriously most of those reps are absolutely clueless about upcoming releases. They are even clueless about some current products as well ;-)

Edge lit will not be good for a panel this size 4k or not
Suzook is offline  
post #28 of 118 Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Quick.....get em back on the line for this weekends lottery numbers!!!! ;-)

Seriously most of those reps are absolutely clueless about upcoming releases. They are even clueless about some current products as well ;-)

Edge lit will not be good for a panel this size 4k or not

Very true. But if LG's customer service team were given info on the 84" being launched in Sept/Oct, that's at least a good sign that this TV is planned for release this year. More technical questions would have to be asked at another dept.

But one would think with this TV being the flagship of LG's 2012 TV line, it would have to have something special for lighting uniformity.


Seth
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #29 of 118 Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry it took me longer to get back. I forgot to check at work for a few days and then forgot what tv forum/site i made the post on.

My notes at work are listing the as full array. By no means is this official, but it adds to the likelihood that it will be full array. Probably also explains the 10k price tag since sharps 80" is only around $3500-$4000, so i doubt a small 4" increase and 4k addition will almost triple that price. Something else is being factored in imo (like full array led vs cost saving edge).

maygit is offline  
post #30 of 118 Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Sorry it took me longer to get back. I forgot to check at work for a few days and then forgot what tv forum/site i made the post on.

My notes at work are listing the as full array. By no means is this official, but it adds to the likelihood that it will be full array. Probably also explains the 10k price tag since sharps 80" is only around $3500-$4000, so i doubt a small 4" increase and 4k addition will almost triple that price. Something else is being factored in imo (like full array led vs cost saving edge).

If its 84 with full array even with the 4k its going to have a fight with the new Sharp 90. Especially if the rumored street of 7999 is true
Suzook is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off