Samsung EH6000 vs ES6100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which Samsung set is better in terms of PQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM

There is the old saying here. Whatever looks better to you while in store or home. I find that it seems they all look alike in a way when models are close to each other.

Maybe you mean in tech terms. There I have no idea in a way. Hopefully someone else knows better than me. I am not one of those to take a tv home or two and then return the one that I like better. Its too time consuming for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM

I had the 40" version of both the ES6100 and EH6000, at the same time actually. Once adjusted, the picture quality is comparable, to my eyes.

However, my particular ES6100 had very noticable "clouding" when viewing dark/black scenes. I also had noticable "pillaring" as well.
See this article for a description of the above quoted terms if you don't know what I'm talking about...
http://guide2lcdtv.com/2008/10/check...d-televisions/
And yes, I tried lowering the backlight (even to 0) but still saw the defects. From what I've read on this forum, the ES6100 has an edge-lit backlight therefore is more likely to exhibit such "defects."

I then bought the EH6000 and the backlight uniformity was alot better. Only faint clouding if I look really hard. From what I've read, the EH6000 has a full-array backlight making it more uniform, at least theoretically. Again, not sure if it's a better "design" or I just got lucky. I subsequently returned the ES6100.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

^^Thanks man..I went to Best Buy today to compare the PQ and they looked quite similar but of course I wasnt able to see the backlighting problems in Best Buys showroom environment. Seems like ill pass up on the Smart TV functions and roll with the EH6000
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post

the EH6000 has a full-array backlight

A Samsung higher-up told me it's NOT a "FULL-ARRAY", but it's NOT an "EDGE-LIT" set either, they're calling it "DIRECT" lit, who knows the true story?!? Go send an e-mail to: Tim.Baxter@Samsung.com and see what he says
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For the benefit of those who find this thread (like I did) after searching on either model number.... I have a UN40ES6150 (Costco model) and can confirm the "clouding" or "flashlighting" anomaly of the screen. But the configuration options are more extensive, and using this site's review/calibration settings, have what I deem to be really great color authenticity. The SmartHub and various apps are still being updated some 2 years after purchase, which is notable. Compare with my Panasonic BDT210 player which hasn't had new firmware or Viera app updates in years. Though serviceable, the Netflix app is showing its age.

A friend bought a 50EH6000 recently, and since she owns a Chromecast, has less need for the apps. After configuring, the picture looks great. I only watched one movie on it, so I can't comment on her set's quality with a variety of movies.

Bottom line, the ES6100 series seems to offer many more features and configuration options while sacrificing some image/picture quality, while the EH6000 is less "feature-full" while offering a better backlight configuration. GIven the choice today, I'd get the EH.

As others have mentioned, test in the store to suit one's test. LCD TV Buying Guide's calibration settings guide may be a good baseline for assessing the TV before buying. (Expert users here caution that calibration can vary from one consumer unit to another, so those settings can't guarantee the same quality in every single EH6000.)

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.