60HZ on a 40 in. ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am buying a TV for my grandfathers birthday because his old one died. I was going to get a 32 in. but it looks like for a little more money (just under $400) I can pick up a 40 in. The problem is the cheaper 40 in. are only 60HZ. How bad will the motion blur be on a TV that size with the refresh rate that low? I have a older Sony KDS60A3000 in my bedroom and that has some noticeable motion blur. Mostly when gaming. I don't remember what the refresh rate is on my TV because it is a RP. I think it is 120 ?

My grandparents will be using this mostly for watching soap operas and stuff, they won't be doing any gaming or watching any sports and their vision is bad. Even so, I am concerned that 60HZ is still too low for a 40 in. Do I need 120HZ or will 60HZ be ok, just how bad is the 60HZ refresh rate going to look on that set ?

I don't have the exact model numbers, my mother wrote them down. I will get them and post them later, but I do recall the two I liked the most were a Sony model and a Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post

I am buying a TV for my grandfathers birthday because his old one died. I was going to get a 32 in. but it looks like for a little more money (just under $400) I can pick up a 40 in. The problem is the cheaper 40 in. are only 60HZ. How bad will the motion blur be on a TV that size with the refresh rate that low? I have a older Sony KDS60A3000 in my bedroom and that has some noticeable motion blur. Mostly when gaming. I don't remember what the refresh rate is on my TV because it is a RP. I think it is 120 ?

My grandparents will be using this mostly for watching soap operas and stuff, they won't be doing any gaming or watching any sports and their vision is bad. Even so, I am concerned that 60HZ is still too low for a 40 in. Do I need 120HZ or will 60HZ be ok, just how bad is the 60HZ refresh rate going to look on that set ?

I don't have the exact model numbers, my mother wrote them down. I will get them and post them later, but I do recall the two I liked the most were a Sony model and a Vizio.

higher refresh rates are more useful for those who want motion smoothing (SOE)

motion blur can be reduced with blur reduction features but motion blur can also be part of the source material like with movies shot at 24fps so YMMV... not everyone is equally sensitive to motion blur and I haven't found any real difference in motion blur between 120Hz and 60Hz sets, aside from the unwanted motion smoothing aka SOE.

and 120HZ is worse for gaming since it increases input lag and can add artifacts to the image if turned up too high with fine details like falling rain
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

they won't be doing any gaming

U answered your own question. I repeat again, old folks only care about a simple remote and strong sounds.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A 40" 60Hz 720p Plasma which has 600Hz subfield refresh (helps to reduce motion blur) may be the right answer for the right price. Note that a 40" widescreen has about the same sceen height as a 32" narrow(standard) screen so the screen images with a 40" will at least be the same height as on the old 32". I reccomend a 1080p model instead of a 720p model as they are cheaper to make and will display all of the pixels from 1080iTV or 1080p Blu-ray content.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really? I didn't know higher HZ equaled more input lag. I wonder if that applies to my older sony RP. I do notice a slight delay when gaming, but it's better than the Samsung I had before. When I turn on its auto motion feature the delay does get much worse. I guess thats the SOE feature you where talking about? Does a higher HZ always equal more input lag, or is that only when we turn on SOE options.

Anyway, about the T.V. for my grandfather. i dont think a plasma would the best bet because they just leave it on all day in the background sometimes. With all the 4:3 programming they watch, I would be concerned about burn-in. Especially on the cheaper models. Out of curiosity though; what brands make decent low end ones? I have a high end Panasonic in the living room that im happy with. I do hear burn in isnt as much of an issue as it used to be though.

I have the model #s for the 2 frontrunners from the sets i was looking at btw:
Sony kdl-40bx450
and
Vizio E390VL

Ive had good luck with Sonys in the past so im leaning towards that one. However, its more expensive. About $470 vs Vizios $390. Is it worth the extra money? I heard Vizio makes some decent low end TV's. my concern is I that I can not seem to find any any reviews for the E390VL. Hell im not finding many for the Sony. One Amazon review mentions that it doesnt play 4:3 ratio content right in upscale mode. If thats true it would be a problem.

So which one should I go go for ? I am also open for any suggestions you guys have. I usually do not look at lower end stuff like this so I don't know whats crap and whats decent.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't say that higher refresh rate means more input lag. Are you possibly confusing motion blur and refresh lag time? To reduce refresh lag you shoiuld use Game Mode and send the TV/Display content at it's native resolution.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

not you walford. PlasmaPZ80U mentioned higher refresh rate = more input lag which sounded odd to me. His exact quote is:
"and 120HZ is worse for gaming since it increases input lag and can add artifacts to the image if turned up too high with fine details like falling rain"

I know the refresh rate is tied to motion blur, but that statement seemed odd to me

Anyway, anyone have any info on my question about the TVs?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If motion control is turned off a 120Hz an LCD just displays each frame of 60Hz content twice. If enabled with frame interpolation instead the motion blur will be less but the lag time will increase diue to the increased processing time required to create the interpolated frame(s).
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

not you walford. PlasmaPZ80U mentioned higher refresh rate = more input lag which sounded odd to me. His exact quote is:
"and 120HZ is worse for gaming since it increases input lag and can add artifacts to the image if turned up too high with fine details like falling rain"

I know the refresh rate is tied to motion blur, but that statement seemed odd to me

Anyway, anyone have any info on my question about the TVs?

I meant any 120Hz processing can add input lag, possibly even when any motion interpolation features are disabled (and especially when they are active). This is why some gamers prefer 60Hz LCDs over 120Hz/240Hz ones.