Official LG XXLM6200 Cinema 3D Smart TV Owners' Thread - 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 166 Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LG LM6200 Cinema 3D Smart TV series is part of LG's 2012 LED TV lineup.

Officlal Product Page:
http://www.lg.com/my/tv-audio-video/...-tv-LM6200.jsp

Available sizes:
42", 47", 55", 65"

Latest firmware:

Key features:
  • "Passive" 3D - comes with six pairs of glasses and built-in 3D demo apps
  • Glossy screen
  • 4 HDMI inputs
  • Built in wifi
  • 120 Hz
  • LG's "Magic Remote" (a Wii-like remote control)

I own the 55LM6200, which I purchased from Fry's Electronics in April. The TV shipped with firmware version 3.02.83. I have it hooked up to a Windows Media Center HTPC, an Xbox 360, and an Apple TV.
  • Nice picture!
  • I have some edge flashlighting, only visible during dark scenes/transitions
  • Built-in wifi works great with both my 802.11n and 802.11g networks
  • Works with my Harmony remote to switch inputs and power on/off the TV, but not navigate apps/settings (you still need the Magic Remote for this). The Harmony software recognized the TV model number.
  • If you bump the Magic Remote, a cursor will appear on the screen for a little bit and then disappear - this is a bit annoying at first but I got used to it
  • The stand is flat black plastic, not silver-ish as it might look in the product photos. The TV does swivel on the stand.
  • No problems with lag on my Xbox 360 as far as I can tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 14
Finally an official thread for this "sleeper" LG model lineup.. I'm considering the 65" version and weighing it against the SHARP 70847U. I haven't been able to view 3D on the SHARP anywhere, but at BB, LG passive, to my eyes, just pwns the abysmal SONY active model display.

I'd love to hear owner impressions of 2D picture quality on this line..

Insert pithy comment here
post #3 of 166 Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

I really like the 2D picture. This model is way better than my old Philips 42" LCD from 2006, both in crispness and brightness, and I have yet to try to calibrate the TV. I was worried about seeing any kind of soap opera effect, but I don't.

When I was shopping, I looked at the Samsung D7xxx and the D8xxx lines, as well as the LM7600. From the Best Buy and Fry's showrooms, I thought I could tell that the Samsungs and the LM7600 had a slightly better picture, but couldn't justify the difference in price.
post #4 of 166 Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This TV has received some very favorable owner reviews on Amazon. Are these at Fry's or BB yet?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-65LM6200-65...owViewpoints=1
post #5 of 166 Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx View Post

This TV has received some very favorable owner reviews on Amazon. Are these at Fry's or BB yet?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-65LM6200-65...owViewpoints=1

Not many are buying this model I think.. most of the LG user-base is on the 7600 and above models. I wonder why!

post #6 of 166 Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Not many are buying this model I think.. most of the LG user-base is on the 7600 and above models. I wonder why!

And your theory is.....?
post #7 of 166 Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Looking at Amazon this is the only LG model that comes in 65".
post #8 of 166 Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx View Post

Looking at Amazon this is the only LG model that comes in 65".

Those of us who are shopping 60"+ screens are stuck with a relatively lower model in LG's lineup only because the higher models don't have a 60"+ set.

It's a shame really.. To my eyes and mind, passive 3D looks great! However, from the few reviews on this site, jury is still out on the 2D PQ for this model line.

post #9 of 166 Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Just placed an order on one. Hopefully it is better then a TN panel monitor I'm using now. Football is coming and I need a tv to pair with my new surround sound.
post #10 of 166 Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
amazon is showing a 32" version of the lm6200

post #11 of 166 Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Those of us who are shopping 60"+ screens are stuck with a relatively lower model in LG's lineup only because the higher models don't have a 60"+ set.

You are spot on. After a year of watching the 65LW6500 and an email from LG confirming the 72LM9500 would not be released in North America this year, I caved and bought the 65LM6200. I really wanted that 6 footer in the worst way, but I wasn't about to miss out on another year of 3D films at home.

I'll post some opinions of the 65LM6200 next week.
post #12 of 166 Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

You are spot on. After a year of watching the 65LW6500 and an email from LG confirming the 72LM9500 would not be released in North America this year, I caved and bought the 65LM6200. I really wanted that 6 footer in the worst way, but I wasn't about to miss out on another year of 3D films at home.

I'll post some opinions of the 65LM6200 next week.

I was in exactly the same boat. Got my parents the 55LW5600 last year and was eyeing the 65LW6500 since december. the lack of 72LM9500 and the price drop to just a hundred above the 6500 got me to go 65lm6200 on the 19th.

Delivery happened on Wednesday. Unfortunately, they gave me a broken tv. There was a huge dent on top and the screen itself was visibly bent. Didn't even bother powering it up, it just went back to the delivery truck. The vendor's shipping me a replacement, but it won't show up until next Wednesday.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #13 of 166 Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan View Post

I was in exactly the same boat. Got my parents the 55LW5600 last year and was eyeing the 65LW6500 since december. the lack of 72LM9500 and the price drop to just a hundred above the 6500 got me to go 65lm6200 on the 19th.

Delivery happened on Wednesday. Unfortunately, they gave me a broken tv. There was a huge dent on top and the screen itself was visibly bent. Didn't even bother powering it up, it just went back to the delivery truck. The vendor's shipping me a replacement, but it won't show up until next Wednesday.

You mean this wednesday or next wednesday on the 13th?
post #14 of 166 Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingkeys View Post

You mean this wednesday or next wednesday on the 13th?

6/6... though I got the best phone call just now. delivery might happen on 6/4.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #15 of 166 Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Where did you order from? I was pretty surprised that I was able to order on the 29th, and Amazon (Pilot) delivered on the 31st. I was guessing at least a week.

Despite the horror stories I read online, Pilot delivery was pretty seamless. They unpacked the box, assembled the stand, put the tv in the stand, and then placed the tv where my old one was. Afterwards they reviewed the paperwork and asked if all was satisfactory.
post #16 of 166 Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Where did you order from? I was pretty surprised that I was able to order on the 29th, and Amazon (Pilot) delivered on the 31st. I was guessing at least a week.

Despite the horror stories I read online, Pilot delivery was pretty seamless. They unpacked the box, assembled the stand, put the tv in the stand, and then placed the tv where my old one was. Afterwards they reviewed the paperwork and asked if all was satisfactory.

Same, Amazon + Pilot. The delivery folks were awesome, and the damage was totally not their fault (as far as I can tell) since the damage didn't match any damage (none) on the box holding the TV.

Replacement enroute will be Eagle/CEVA... hopefully they'll be as good.

Did you notice that amazon had a notice that the delivery people aren't going to assemble the stand nor place it anywhere you want? I saw that written in my paperwork.

post #17 of 166 Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan View Post

Same, Amazon + Pilot. The delivery folks were awesome, and the damage was totally not their fault (as far as I can tell) since the damage didn't match any damage (none) on the box holding the TV.

Replacement enroute will be Eagle/CEVA... hopefully they'll be as good.

Did you notice that amazon had a notice that the delivery people aren't going to assemble the stand nor place it anywhere you want? I saw that written in my paperwork.

Yes, I also received an email stating the same. I was sure glad they assisted though. I live by myself and would have had to wait for a friend to come over otherwise. Tough to lift a 65" screen solo.
post #18 of 166 Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quick update. Got the set on Monday and have been too busy watching it to post smile.gif

The delivery service sent 1 person to deliver the TV which made it difficult to get up and running, but I'm just glad the TV is in pristine shape.

In case anyone is wondering, DirecTV has the 65LW6500 remote codes in their system, but not the 65LM6200 (as of when I set it up Monday, haven't checked since). I had the DTV box program the remote and it worked like a charm. No more twitching the magic remote, except when I want to turn 3D mode on/off.

watched Cars 2 in 3D off the PS3 for a little bit, then tried Halo Reach dual play on my X360. DIY'd two dual play glasses by sacrificing 2 of the 6 3D glasses that came with the TV. You have to cut and trim the lens to swap them, unfortunately, so there's a small gap near the bridge, but otherwise worked ok. Noticed some crosstalk though, but otherwise I'm looking forward to some full-screen 2 player gaming.

My DirecTV subscription has three 3D channels and made mention of summer olympics being broadcast in 3D. Definitely looking forward to that in a few months.

2D-to-3D conversion is pretty darn good. I watched some shows and it feels very natural, if you can get used to having an extra pair of glasses on. Luckily the 3d glasses fit over my prescription glasses just fine.

All in all, I'm a happy camper.

post #19 of 166 Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
got the 65" from Frys on Monday, delivered Tuesday. amazed that the pic was so good right out of the box with no adjustments. old vizio 55" had good pic too but the LG is better. Only issue I have is with the smart home screen function. when I press home button on remote all I get is black screen with tv audio. no other buttons work except power and volume. all other quick menu apps seem to work ok. have to turn tv on and off to get back to regular tv viewing. Still researching for a fix but probably will have to do a factory reset. otherwise, I couldnt be happier. cant wait for football season to get started.
post #20 of 166 Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Just picked up a 47lm6200 from Frys in their crazy sale this week. Overall pretty happy with it. Really like the built in DLNA feature works great with my media server. Wish the tv had a pandora and amazon indtant video apps, surprised it didn't have pandora.
post #21 of 166 Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM

Hi guys. Just bought the 55LM6200 model a few days ago. Any chance any of you have their own preferred adjustments on each settings? Please kindly list them here if possible. Thanks.
post #22 of 166 Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM

When I view comcast on demand I get two separate screens (top and bottom) on my 55LM6200 when I view their 3D movies. When we click the 3D butoon on the remote all it does is turn it on or off. At one point we were able to bring up a menu to pick the type of 3D we wanted we pick top and bottom but it didn't fix it and now we can't get back to that screen in the menu to choose the 3D type we want it just goes back to the 3D on or off mode.
post #23 of 166 Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Very encouraging feedback on the 65LM6200.. If this drops to $1999 I'll be all over it.

post #24 of 166 Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM

What are the viewing angles on these units? I'm thinking of getting the 65" version.
post #25 of 166 Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55LM6200 person View Post

When I view comcast on demand I get two separate screens (top and bottom) on my 55LM6200 when I view their 3D movies. When we click the 3D butoon on the remote all it does is turn it on or off. At one point we were able to bring up a menu to pick the type of 3D we wanted we pick top and bottom but it didn't fix it and now we can't get back to that screen in the menu to choose the 3D type we want it just goes back to the 3D on or off mode.

I read your post just about an hour before my 65LM6200 was delivered and had some apprehension that my Comcst dvd 3D might not work properly.

The tv is awesome and there is no problem watching the 2 3D channels although I have not tried the On Demand as yet.

To get back to the screen where you can chose the type of 3D (side by side screens, above and below screens et al), all I do is turn 3D Off from the remote and then back on again. there has been no problem. I went back and forth with chosing the type of 3D many times as I channel surfed and always, the option for chosing the 3D format was there.

Shelly

I should add that I am very impressed by the 2D to 3D conversion with regular HD channels. Although images do not move off the screen, there is much more dimensionality.

Now to tweak the Picture settings.

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #26 of 166 Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to add some things about my first night with the 65lm6200.

I purchased from Amazon when the price hit the lowest since they started selling it (there are Amazon price trackers like camelcamelcamel that notify you via email when the price drops). The delivery person assembled the stand, mounted the tv and set up some basic settings. Great service from Amazon.

The build date was May 2012. It had the latest software version, 3.21.03, which I was told when I went to update it.

Among the built in apps is GoogleTv to access the Internet. I had not read of it as an included app before and have begun to browse and set bookmarks. And there's a 3D app which gives access to many 3D programs available for free.

Having a 3D button on the remote is so much more convenient than having to scroll through layers of menus.

Looks like a keeper.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #27 of 166 Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I just wanted to add some things about my first night with the 65lm6200.
I purchased from Amazon when the price hit the lowest since they started selling it (there are Amazon price trackers like camelcamelcamel that notify you via email when the price drops). The delivery person assembled the stand, mounted the tv and set up some basic settings. Great service from Amazon.
The build date was May 2012. It had the latest software version, 3.21.03, which I was told when I went to update it.
Among the built in apps is GoogleTv to access the Internet. I had not read of it as an included app before and have begun to browse and set bookmarks. And there's a 3D app which gives access to many 3D programs available for free.
Having a 3D button on the remote is so much more convenient than having to scroll through layers of menus.
Looks like a keeper.
Shelly

Can you give me your impression of the off angle viewing this set? I'm considering this or the Sony 65HX729 for my next set.
post #28 of 166 Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I went 7' off center for you and the picture was just as bright and detailed. I do sit centered, however.

The stand does swivel some so it can be turned left or right if you wanted.

I didn't realize that Sony had a 65" 3D set but just learned it is active glasses. I can't say enough about how convenient the Lg passive glasses are. I visited family with a Sharp active shutter glasses and one pair was discharged so couldn't be used, the glasses were more cumbersome and I was more aware of having them on as they have a lip around the frame.

The Sony is also more $$$.

But the new lcd tv's have a fantastic picture. I was coming from a 65" Toshiba dlp which shined in its day 5 years ago

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #29 of 166 Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I went 7' off center for you and the picture was just as bright and detailed. I do sit centered, however.
The stand does swivel some so it can be turned left or right if you wanted.
I didn't realize that Sony had a 65" 3D set but just learned it is active glasses. I can't say enough about how convenient the Lg passive glasses are. I visited family with a Sharp active shutter glasses and one pair was discharged so couldn't be used, the glasses were more cumbersome and I was more aware of having them on as they have a lip around the frame.
The Sony is also more $$$.
But the new lcd tv's have a fantastic picture. I was coming from a 65" Toshiba dlp which shined in its day 5 years ago
Shelly

Thanks for you input. I too have a 65" Toshiba DLP right now which I want to replace. The only issue with the LG is that it is about 1" more wide than my media niche opening compared to the Sony which is 1" smaller. Though the LG is a bit higher in price compared to the Sony right now, but it does have passive 3D which I'd like to get instead of active. Of course I could just have the TV pushed out a bit out of the media niche opening in order for it to fit.
post #30 of 166 Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrance View Post

Thanks for you input. I too have a 65" Toshiba DLP right now which I want to replace. The only issue with the LG is that it is about 1" more wide than my media niche opening compared to the Sony which is 1" smaller. Though the LG is a bit higher in price compared to the Sony right now, but it does have passive 3D which I'd like to get instead of active. Of course I could just have the TV pushed out a bit out of the media niche opening in order for it to fit.

On Amazon, the Sony is $500 more than the Lg right now (the Lg 65lm6200 is just $50 or so above the lowest price I got from them) so not sure what prices you are referring.

I agree that you should strongly consider just pushing it out a bit as the tv is very slim.

I also think you would really enjoy all of the 3D content available through the Lg apps.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lm6200 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv And Six Pairs Of 3d Glasses , Lg 42lm6200 42 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv And Six Pairs Of 3d Glasses , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread