Best TV to leave on 24x7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend and I are opening a fitness/training studio. We are looking to get some TV's that will most likely be on 24x7 (or very close to that).

Is there a recommended brand/type/model that is used in the industry (ie gyms, bars, restaurants, etc.) that is the standard in these situations? Best $/hr cost and longevity is what we're looking for I guess.

It seems like LCD is the way to go for power consumption. What about lifespan? Does size matter - as in is a 37" going to last longer than a 42"?

Any pointers or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Size doesn't matter, but technology will. Get a brand-name edge-lit LED. You presumably don't need 3D or high hz, so you might save a little looking for left-over 2011 models. Crank the light intensity down as low as you can and still have it visible in the environment. That will maximize life and minimize electrical use.

There are commercial/industrial displays available but they are extremely expensive and I doubt would save you anything. Decent sets are getting so cheap today (especially ones without the latest dodads) you can just throw them away when they break. But you should be able to get several 10s of thousands of hours out of any decent sets, which means it'll probably be outdated before it breaks.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

Size doesn't matter, but technology will. Get a brand-name edge-lit LED. You presumably don't need 3D or high hz, so you might save a little looking for left-over 2011 models. Crank the light intensity down as low as you can and still have it visible in the environment. That will maximize life and minimize electrical use.

There are commercial/industrial displays available but they are extremely expensive and I doubt would save you anything. Decent sets are getting so cheap today (especially ones without the latest dodads) you can just throw them away when they break. But you should be able to get several 10s of thousands of hours out of any decent sets, which means it'll probably be outdated before it breaks.

+1 on what Dave said.
Its the heating up to operating temps and the cooling back down when turned off that kills most electronics so you should be set.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and tip on making sure brightness is set to a minimum. We definitely don't need any of the latest gizmos, just a TV. I'm sure we'll be able to find some affordable LEDs that will do just fine. Thanks again!

On a side note... do we need a cable box for each TV? I assume modern TVs don't have coaxial inputs anymore. (I still own CRTs!)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 117
TVs still have coaxial inputs for their ATSC (digital over the air)/QAM tuners (for receiving unencrypted digital cable channels). If you plan on displaying the same content on each screen, you only need an HDMI splitter to feed a signal to multiple displays from a single high definition cable box or Blu-ray player.